Kotaku.com talks smack about CAG

Gotta laugh at the part at the end where he gets all super serious and talks about CAG no longer having credibility. Dude's just pissed that he fell for it and was proof of the point being made in the first place. Blogs will post anything even remotely plausible with very little/no research done to support it.

As I said in the comments of their post, their little chest-puffing statement at the end is laughable. Pretending they wouldn't post major news from this site is a joke. If some CAG posted some (at least semi-credible) news about the Wii dropping to $200 (or whatever), you can bet your ass Kotaku would put it on their site immediately, as would pretty much every other popular gaming blog.

I don't think they're really taking a shot at CAG; they're just highlighting the fact that CAG is usually pretty credible (and just not in this instance).

Hahahahaa. Those idiots fell for that? Somebody's getting a free game. Nice one!

Haha oh wow...
[quote name='Crecente']It would certainly be sad if that were the case. I can't imagine wanting to throw my site's credibility out the window for a contest.

It's not funny at all. Cheapy and his crew asked his readers to promote a lie on the site. How do I know they wont do it again. I don't have the time, or the inclination to listen to all of their podcasts to make sure that the stories that run on the site are valid. This is called poisoning the well.
[/quote]

Ahahahahahah ohhhhhhh fuck those losers. They got caught with their pants around their ankles and they're all pissy about it.

So much for reading that shit ass site anymore.

edit: Oh, this is too rich. CAG's credibility? Is Crecente honestly suggesting that CAG be held to journalistic standards? Does he really think Cheapy should be made to fact check every single post and blog entry? Give me a break. This is a messageboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, they're schooling Cresente over in the comments. Dude's going all Dennis Dyak and only making it worse.

Hahahaha. I love how CheapyD says that possibly pirated games would be ruining his cred, but then he comes out and supports contests like this.

:rofl:

"My feathers aren't ruffled. I am annoyed that I wasted your time, all of my readers time, with this story when we could have used that time to post something newsworthy. What annoys me most about this sort of thing though is that it sets back the credibility of all blogs."

Wow he needs to get off his high horse already. :rofl:

I sent this email to Brian Crecente.

Hi,

I'm just writing to point you to two related news stories. Maybe if you read them back to back you will see what I see.

News Story 1:
http://kotaku.com/5046921/rumor-xbox-360-to-relaunch-on-sept-25-with-tv-ad-blitz-free-games

Let me highlight something:
UPDATE: It appears that this rumor story could be CAG throwing their credibility out the window as part of a contest. Kotaku''s decision to run rumors is always based on the credibility of the site and the information contained within it. In the past CAG has proven to be a reliable site, having broken a number of stories through apt reporting. It appears that may no longer be the case.

News Story 2:
http://kotaku.com/5046921/rumor-xbox-360-to-relaunch-on-sept-25-with-tv-ad-blitz-free-games

Another highlight for you:
A poster on the VGChartz forums (yes, I know) has posted alleged details of a rumored Xbox 360 "relaunch," the specifics of which even the author writes are "batshit crazy."

Do you see how these two stories are related? No? I'll help you out a little bit.

News Story 1:
Kotaku''s decision to run rumors is always based on the credibility of the site and the information contained within it.
News Story 2:
A poster on the VGChartz forums (yes, I know) has posted alleged details of a rumored Xbox 360 "relaunch," the specifics of which even the author writes are "batshit crazy."

You're a smart guy. I know you see it now. Maybe the truth is that credibility means little to Kotaku when it comes to pageviews and you're just as little pissed that you fell for it?

Well, anyways, I do love the site man. Keep up the excellent gaming "journalism" you do.

-- Jack

The reply by "geminibros" is spot on.

[quote name='geminibros']
@Crecente: Poisoning the well or making a point? Tomato, to-mah-to from your point of view I suppose.
While there's definitely some perhaps-intended comedy in this, you failed to mention that the POINT of the contest was to illustrate how easily the gaming press will latch onto and run with any rumor that surfaces, no matter how outlandish it may seem.
Bravo to Cheapy and the gang for pointing out that even the most seemingly credible rumor is fallible. We should all follow the inherent suggestion which is this contest's subtext and fact-check accordingly. As soon as you "don't have the time" to properly check your sources, you're not doing your job as a journalist.
Everyone makes mistakes, but the above "update" and the convenient absence of certain facts about the contest clearly indicates that there are some ruffled feathers here. Have a laugh at your own expense and move on.[/quote]

Edit: HAHA "byrc" had a well-written comment too! I have not seen Crecente respond to either of these two posts.

[quote name='darthbudge']Hahahaha. I love how CheapyD says that possibly pirated games would be ruining his cred, but then he comes out and supports contests like this.

:rofl:[/quote]
Hey don't go complicating things. He never supported this. It's all Wombats fault for once.

I read Kotaku vigorously, but Brian needs to get off his high horse because he obviously just proved Cheapy and Wombat's point of about blogs and rumors. Him trying to defend it in the comments sections just proves he's embarrassed by it.

The comments for that post are pretty amusing. Crecente seems to be taking this way too seriously.

[quote name='Chacrana']When did CAG have credibility as a news source? It's... not a news source.[/quote]
CAG users have broken a number of news stories, many of which were related to console price drops. That does give CAG credibility.

This is hilarious and they all seem to miss the point that CAG is pointing out how they run wild rumors on their sites without any real research. CAG is owning gaming blogs right now and it's not even a news source.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Very awesome. Good job I never thought it would be so simple.[/quote]

Just goes to prove what Cheapy and Wombat said about websites posting just about anything without trying to do some digging to see if something is true or not. All they care about is making the post.

I didn't even know I had an account on this site, but I just came here to say that what you guys did was awesome, and Kotaku should stop trying to deflect the issue back to you guys.

Good show :applause:

More proof that all you need to do to get on Kotaku is take a blurry pic. Took away from time that could've been used to post a news story? WHAT NEWS STORY?! They don't do journalism, they just repost shit from all over the internet :lol:

:lol:
koda6.jpg

Crecente didn't read the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

By providing links to other sites, CheapAssGamer.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to CheapAssGamer.com. CheapAssGamer.com is owned and operated by CAG Productions, LLC.

Please read our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy before using CheapAssGamer.com.

The reason Brian didn't spot the fake story is because he was too busy sucking up to The Who and anyone else that gives a $hTT who he is. I might start reading Joystiq instead because of this fiasco.

I read Kotaku on a daily basis, just because they are good at gathering information. Rumor and Real. But they just need to own up to the fact that they posted a rumor (and even listed it as a rumor) that turned out to be fake. If they left it at that, things would have been a lot less detrimental. All this pointing fingers and back pedaling is making things much worse. "Cost me an hour I could have spent posting something newsworthy"... Like writing up a few sentences and posting a link is doing that... the backpedaling is doing that.

This is pretty hilarious. Both Gawker-based blogs are pointing fingers at CAG saying it has lost its credibility. Kotaku is especially furious with this whole thing.

X3F also posted about the Pure, but they just shrugged and moved on.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Gotta laugh at the part at the end where he gets all super serious and talks about CAG no longer having credibility. Dude's just pissed that he fell for it and was proof of the point being made in the first place. Blogs will post anything even remotely plausible with very little/no research done to support it.

As I said in the comments of their post, their little chest-puffing statement at the end is laughable. Pretending they wouldn't post major news from this site is a joke. If some CAG posted some (at least semi-credible) news about the Wii dropping to $200 (or whatever), you can bet your ass Kotaku would put it on their site immediately, as would pretty much every other popular gaming blog.[/quote]

This. Despite what they say, this will in no way prevent them from continuing to post whatever they can get their hands on.

Maybe the fact that this is Wombat and CheapyD endorsed does hurt the site a little bit, but when was CAG ever about news? What are they not going to believe the deals posted here anymore? Their loss.

[quote name='eswat']This is pretty hilarious. Both Gawker-based blogs are pointing fingers at CAG saying it has lost its credibility. Kotaku is especially furious with this whole thing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...
[quote name='gizmodo']
UPDATE: It appears that we were mislead by Cheap Ass Gamer as part of a prank contest. Running fabrications like this one does not help a site's credibility.
[/quote]
The author writes for Kotaku as well. Looks like they had some sort of meeting condemning CAG and they got worked up and are trying to smear us. Nice try guys.

fuck I can never trust any of you guys ever again since CAG's credibility is ruined. Actually, can you even trust what I just wrote? Maybe I lied and really do trust cag...but then, what if this whole thing is a lie.

Such messy business when a forum loses its credibility all at once :(

Wombat, I'm sure is somewhere either chuckling or smugly smiling due to the success of his social experiment (And I can't blame him, as I too would be making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS). Cheapy, I feel sorry for, since he's either getting lumped in with Wombat's antics or he's being portrayed as the mastermind of the contest, despite clearly saying otherwise numerous times during the podcast. It's like that Penny Arcade strip regarding the whole Gabe-IGN Assassin's Creed thing:
20071128.jpg

As for Crecente and Kotaku, I shed no tears for them. I still remember that "Do you like DreamCast" scam web site a while back. The site's suspiciousness was proven the day after their article was posted, and was mentioned numerous times in the article's comments section, yet while other blogs looked at the evidence and took the appropriate actions (Removing the link, making an update to the article, etc.), Kotaku did absolutely nothing about it (Except reference the original post as a fact in another Dreamcast post) until Monday, 3-4 days after the original article was posted.

I dont see how this is CAG credibility. Who the hell is desz and why would desz be speaking for the entire CAG site? Maybe if Cheapy D posted this on the main page then they would have a point. As for desz, I have no idea who they are nor do I care what they put in their 'blog.

Mega-laffs at Kotaku after not only posting the fake CAG story, but also now prematurely going with the 50 Cent game being cancelled - BOTH by Crecente.

Christ. Kotaku is the gaming blog equivalent of some dickhead saying "FIRST!" while replying to a post.

Yeah, I read this on both Kotaku and Gizmodo earlier and found it laughable. If anything the update should say "Kotaku loses credibility for being lazy"

[quote name='Loonknight']lol, Nice. If they would listen to the CAGCast more often maybe they wouldn't have been fished in.[/quote]

Not everyone has the time to listen to it or wants to listen to it. Most people go to CAG to go to CAG, not the CAGcast.

ahahahaha pwnd! CAG is not and has never positioned itself as a game industry "news" site like Kotaku claims to be.

Funny how Cheapy has mentioned how sites like Kotaku pay their employees by the post for the past couple of CAGcasts, and this is yet another example of why that might not be the best thing-- when you have people posting just any old shit to make a quota, of course you're gonna fuck it up once and a while. Those guys need to man up, take it in the chin, and move on.

bread's done
Back