GTA Chinatown Wars

:lol: It's amusing how quickly my scans go from a PM to random websites.

[quote name='botticus']

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
- True GTA game - sandbox gameplay, open-world environment, gritty crime narrative.
- M-rating
- Isometric camera angle
- Cel-shaded polygons w/ black borders
- good touch-screen implementation - "tasteful" minigames, streamlining interface
- UI based on a PDA - hub for email, contacts, map, music player, GPS, stat-tracking
- stats uploaded to Rockstar Social Club website via Wi-Fi
- finger-sized icons
- missions designed for shorter periods of play, arcade quality
- aiming with control pad, auto targeting with R button
- subtle autosteer
- if you fail a mission, you can jump back to the action sequence
- chain gun, flamethrower
- good portion of Liberty City is modeled in the game (different routes than console games)
- no probems with load times, draw-in or frame rate
- lots of pedestrians, cars, etc on screen
- Wanted system - objective is to disable police cars any way possible
- real-time weather effects, 24-hour day/night cycle
- lots of radio stations to listen to (more instrumentals than vocals)
- 800,000 lines of hand-optimized source code (hey, the people like the info, right?)
- no details yet on multiplayer/Wi-Fi features
[/quote]

Scans look kinda meh, hope it looks better in action. Those dont inspire much confidence, I'm getting the GTA Advance feel here.

Looks about like the GBA port with slightly more detail. Oh well. IMO Nintendo should have shelled out the money to get a decent wii game.

[quote name='pete5883']Touch screen dumpster diving :lol:[/QUOTE]

SOLD!

The moment they include a touch-screen hooker minigame is the moment they boost sales 300%.

It's about time for another M-rated game on the DS. This will be #5 (U.S. releases only) if I'm counting right. If released in 2009, they'll have their quota of "1 per year".

Is this the official thread? If not, can someone direct me to it.

I just wanted to know if there were any pre-order bonuses for this game. I know Amazon has an unlockable car.

If you pre-order from Amazon you get a discounted bulletproof Infernus.

Infernus-render-100w._V250009569_.jpg

I just watched the game-play video and this looks awesome! The gameplay/graphics/artstyle looks great and the game looks like it runs buttery smooth. Glad to see a possibly great "M" rated game on the DS, none better IMO then GTA games. Hopefully the reviews will be good...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comes out the 17th (Tuesday) but the game might not be on shelves until Wednesday, maybe.

Big week for ds games with this, Covenant of Plume, Suikoden and Henry Hatsworth.

Well the game's out early in a few places. The Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney was selling it last night when I went there, and a few of my friends up in Brooklyn said they found some places selling it there. So check around.

There's a launch party at the Nintendo World Store in NYC on Monday night. Might head down there to join in the festivities.

cw_nwstop.gif

Managed to get a copy early at my local wal-mart, haha. This game is awesome:

just dealt my first acid, and then bought some coke. I'm surprised NOA allowed this. They specifically tell you how to get some too, so it'd work in real life; see the shady guy in central park with the trenchcoat and messenger bag haha.

Game looks amazing also.

Also, old time GTA fans will love this:

The RHYNO's BACK!

[quote name='Tranzience']Well the game's out early in a few places. The Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney was selling it last night when I went there, and a few of my friends up in Brooklyn said they found some places selling it there. So check around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, looks like a bunch of stores are breaking the street date. Just today, I went to a local import shop, and they actually had a used copy in the case. I guess Wal-Mart would be the best bet for most, since they seem to break street dates pretty often.

[quote name='skubish']anyone's copy from Amazon shipping yet? Its supposed to be release date delivery and mine hasn't shipped yet.[/QUOTE]

i ordered with free release date delivery (amazon prime) and mine shipped today - shows scheduled delivery for release day of 3/17

Wow, has anyone been looking at the reviews on metacritic? Its got an average right now of 95 with 12 reviews. There are 4 100's. And these are critic reviews, not user.

To think I was skeptical of this game..

I got the chance to play it a little earlier. It plays like the older top down GTA's with new mechanics involved, such as jumping over fences and whatnot. I hit a car and it flipped on its side. It's pretty cool. I had to hotwire a car too, that was an interesting and unexpected mini-game. Huge thumbs up.

Just got the "Check out all our good reviews" email from Rockstar:

5/5 (PERFECT SCORE) - GAMEPRO, EDITORS' CHOICE
"A FANTASTIC ADDITION TO ROCKSTAR'S LEGACY...
...maintains the incredible innovations in both technology and player accessibility that the title's previous installments have supplied... From drug distribution, insurance racketeering to old fashioned car-jacking and street races, everything you know and love about the Grand Theft Auto series is here with some fantastic new contributions and handheld-specific alterations... This is Grand Theft Auto the way you love it: all of the innovation, charm and thrills from its past installations neatly tied together in a creative package worthy of any DS owner."

10/10 (PERFECT SCORE) - EUROGAMER
"This is GTA on a smaller screen, but by no means a smaller scale... massive, diverse playgrounds, teeming with cars, pedestrians, the series' trademark missions and side-games, wonderfully rendered in surprising detail by an engine that ranks among the best on the platform.
...CHINATOWN WARS IS A TRIUMPH,
not just in terms of bringing a difficult game to a new platform intact, but because it actually improves it in the process, and demonstrates a mastery of DS form and function... Overall this is GTA as it first was, with the inherited wisdom of GTA as it's been since, finished off with all sorts of things that would happily belong in a GTA of the future."

9.5 - IGN, EDITORS' CHOICE
"A spectacular DS-exclusive experience that expands on what already makes the GTA series so damn good... one of the deepest and extremely fulfilling chapters in the Grand Theft Auto saga... it's a tremendous game, both in scale and in fun...
CHINATOWN WARS IS EASILY ONE OF THE BEST
NINTENDO DS GAMES ON THE PLATFORM."

A - UGO
"...easily one of the best games on the DS... It's hard to deny the depth and scope that Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars has achieved. The massive single-player game, impressive 3D graphics, strong multiplayer features, amusing minigames and intriguing story make it
ONE OF THE BEST DS GAMES WE'VE EVER PLAYED."

94/100
(highest rating ever for a third-party game in the magazine's history)
OFFICIAL NINTENDO MAGAZINE

Eurogamer shocks me. Any score above 7 for them is exceptional.

Heading down to GS to pickup my copy of Resistance Retribution this afternoon...I hope they have this waiting for me, too!

bread's done
Back