CAGcast #134: Pure Credibility

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[img-l=1]481[/img-l][preview]We discuss (at length) Wombat's Bullshit Blog Contest aftermath but still have time for NHL 09, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Rock Band 2, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Big thanks to our sponsor:

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

[podcast]25[/podcast]
Download - 97 minutes, 39MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg][/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture:

Bonus Book Plug:

Arcade Mania: The Turbo-charged World of Japan's Game Centers
by Brian Ashcraft and Jean Snow (Paperback - Jan 1, 2009)

Bonus Tai Videos:
http://www.vimeo.com/album/30411

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
And my Monday starts off right once again.

Also, I believe you mentioned a written response to the "Kotaku-gate" incident, any progress on that?

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']And my Monday starts off right once again.

Also, I believe you mentioned a written response to the "Kotaku-gate" incident, any progress on that?

~HotShotX[/quote]It will be up soon.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Cheapy, When I click the download link it still links to 133, not 134.[/quote]
Thanks, fixed.

Can't wait to listen! I can't believe how far that stupid rumor traveled -- I'm interested to hear your take on it. I, personally, found it humorous that Brian "Serious Business" Crecente acted so immaturely and Nick "Brutal" Chester took it like a responsible, seasoned pro.

[quote name='CheapyD']It will be up soon.

Thanks, fixed.[/quote]
Cheapy, the audio is right but it still says CAGcast #133: Pure Credibility

[quote name='Z_meista']Cheapy, the audio is right but it still says CAGcast #133: Pure Credibility[/quote]Ah, fixed that too!

[quote name='thorbahn3']You're digging your grave deeper. People don't like being told what you think you should do. You were right though.[/quote]
I specifically said that those ideas are what I would do if I was running my own gaming blog. I'm not telling anybody what to do.

About the whole fake contest rumor thing here's my opinion:

When I heard about the contest I thought it was a great idea and was all on your side about seeing ridiculous stories posted on popular news websites.

The problem was the fake rumors were not rediculous at all. The Xbox Pure sounds like a plausible name for a new Xbox.

edit: After listening to the show, I didn't see the picture of the pure rumor. That actually was kind of ridiculous.

Also, it's stupid how Crecente says the story being posted is based on CAGs credibility when it was a USERS BLOG POST.

Brian Crecente just has a stick up his ass. It's his fault for running a story with no credibility. The fact he called CAG un-credible is appalling considering how many rumors they post on the site just to attract attention.

Brian C. overreacted about this incident. He should have known the reprecussions of posting rumors. One of which it being FALSE. It wasn't Cheapy or any of the staff in CAG who posted or even promoted the blog post, so why is he hating on CAG as a whole? Xbox Pure? Come on. I thought this was inspired by the new game called Pure and just added Xbox before it. The so-called "document" was obviously fake. I don't know why Crescente's attacking CAG's credibility. It's also funny how Adam Sessler crushed a rumor about a so-called relaunch in his segment called "Sessler's Soapbox." Oh well, I hope everyone learns something from the incident.

You should have taken a picture of you wearing the CAG sweater, to show off what you mean by it not fitting, Cheapy. It looks like she rushed to finish it from the one picture, but would it be rude to ask her to make it a bit longer around the waist?

I remember seeing this story and not connecting it to the "contest". Fantastic show cheapy and wombat, I felt like I was bipolar. One minute I'm laughing the next I'm thinking about what an asshole Crecente is. Anyways I really appreciate that you guys did this and I hope neither of you regret it too much. Anyways have a great week everybody.

Cheapy, you should realize that Namco-Bandai has increased the DLC bullshit for Tales of Vesperia ten fold, including a second 10+ level up item, and 3 more 5+ level up items, as well special items you get by beating regular bosses in the story mode.

As far as Cheapgate goes, the point was proven. They don't have good rumor checkers, period. Also, they flew off the handle when they only had themselves to blame.

"Killer Klowns From Outer Space" is an awesome movie! At first I thought that I had clicked on the soundtrack in my library somehow instead of the CAGcast, but sure enough, you were simply using the music. Awesome!

Is it possible that Cresente wasn't merely embarrassed by a fake story but by the fact that the story (indirectly) came from a friend? I know I'd be pissed if a friend of mine pulled a prank like that. I know you didn't actually create the story, but still. I think Cresente's reaction stems from his perceived betrayal by a friend.

Fantastic episode guys! I'm starting up a lighthearted video game blog (That reminds me, Cheapy, CHECK YOUR EMAILS for a message about my blog) so I will definitely take your rumour scale ideas and put them to use.

[quote name='daphatty']Is it possible that Cresente wasn't merely embarrassed by a fake story but by the fact that the story (indirectly) came from a friend? I know I'd be pissed if a friend of mine pulled a prank like that. I know you didn't actually create the story, but still. I think Cresente's reaction stems from his perceived betrayal by a friend.[/QUOTE]

I think Crecente is just stubborn and big-headed. It has nothing to do with Cheapy and Crecente's pre-existing relationship. The few times I've sent honest (and polite) criticism over to Kotaku I was met with a sarcastic and dismissive response from Crecente. Xbox Pure just serves to support this.

fuck Crecente.

The bullshit meter sounds like what GameSpot does with their rumors, where they try to interpret how likely or unlikely it is for the rumor to happen, though without a snazzy graphic to entertain the readers.

Why did you guys skip over Wipeout HD's release, which is a fairly significant downloadable release this week? I noticed a broken link, or maybe the thread's hidden and not up yet, to what's probably the new CAG Foreplay thread, so maybe they forgot or missed that it was coming out.

I've played with some of the other CAGs on the NHL 09 team, at least 3 others, and didn't have any lag issues, so I'd guess that living in Japan may be what's hurting your connection the most.

If the unlock all songs code disables achievements and high scores in Rock Band 2, why would you want it to save that and not allow you to ever get achievements again without deleting that save and starting over again?

I don't get the criticism of the lack of crashes for bikes, as I don't need to see the biker flop around when I just want to race with the bike. I'll drive the cars when I want to watch it get crushed.

There was no required system update for Life With PlayStation, but because you're in Japan since you're getting the video store soon. Over here, we just needed to start up Folding@Home to get it.

Peter Molyneux's proud of Media Molecule because most of their founders used to work at Lionhead Studios, so he's not attaching himself to a game he has nothing to do with since he helped many of those guys get to where they are, making one of the PS3's most hyped games.

Good show. Is there any way you could be able to record the video of each other and be able to make a video version of the show?

Regarding the discussion on the DLC in CoD5, I think eventually you're not going to be able to boycott a game on the grounds of poorly executed DLC because it will be so ubiquitous.

neogaf user Segata Sanshiro commented on just that (though in the MM9 thread about the $2 protoman addition) and it was really chilling:
There's nothing to stop them, they will. This is the future of the industry.

It's simply a case that not enough people care enough to make a stand to stop it. Even here at GAF. Everyone kicked and screamed until they were blue in the face about Lumines Live, yet it's the 8th best selling XBLA game among GAFers, and the 2nd highest when ranked by revenue.

If people want to keep fighting for their principles in the face of the inevitable, that's fine. I actually admire that. I'm not that good, not anymore. If it appeals to me and it's just pocket change, I'll be buying it.
Come on now (with the 360 Arcade talk at the end). There are PLENTY of people who dont play online or arent interested in Live functionality.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The bullshit meter sounds like what GameSpot does with their rumors, where they try to interpret how likely or unlikely it is for the rumor to happen, though without a snazzy graphic to entertain the readers.

Why did you guys skip over Wipeout HD's release, which is a fairly significant downloadable release this week? I noticed a broken link, or maybe the thread's hidden and not up yet, to what's probably the new CAG Foreplay thread, so maybe they forgot or missed that it was coming out.

I've played with some of the other CAGs on the NHL 09 team, at least 3 others, and didn't have any lag issues, so I'd guess that living in Japan may be what's hurting your connection the most.

If the unlock all songs code disables achievements and high scores in Rock Band 2, why would you want it to save that and not allow you to ever get achievements again without deleting that save and starting over again?

I don't get the criticism of the lack of crashes for bikes, as I don't need to see the biker flop around when I just want to race with the bike. I'll drive the cars when I want to watch it get crushed.

There was no required system update for Life With PlayStation, but because you're in Japan since you're getting the video store soon. Over here, we just needed to start up Folding@Home to get it.

Peter Molyneux's proud of Media Molecule because most of their founders used to work at Lionhead Studios, so he's not attaching himself to a game he has nothing to do with since he helped many of those guys get to where they are, making one of the PS3's most hyped games.

Good show. Is there any way you could be able to record the video of each other and be able to make a video version of the show?[/QUOTE]

there was a required update in Japan only it was mentioned on the Playstationblog

Hey CheapyD, not to be the "Karaoke pronunciation douchebag", but I think you mean "stiff upper lip" instead of "with a grain of salt".
One means "take it like a man" and the other means "approach with scepticism".

And, as always, great show. :)

[img-l=4682]2491[/img-l]

I totally missed out on the rampant rumors that happened a few days ago. Figures that the few days that I don't regularly check the gaming blogs that something important would happen.

But in all seriousness, I'm glad this happened. I'm sorry that sites like Kotaku got their panties in a knot and pushed the credibility blame on somebody else, instead of owning up and admitting they didn't look into it first.

One thing that really annoyed me was that they implied that CAG is a credible source for gaming information. I'm not saying that it's not, but this story was not posted to the front page, and instead was featured in a user's blog. No offense to the users, but I don't take any gaming related news as being credible in a user's blog or in their comments.

If Brian Crecent is still miffed over this, he needs to stop acting like a little girl (no offense, ladies).

If anything, I think this pointed out just how ravenous these news sites are to immediately jump onto a story and not check sources. Maybe this'll actually help develop a better system for postings rumors so that little girls who run gaming websites won't have too much egg on their face when the rumors turn out to be fake.

[quote name='CheapyD']
I specifically said that those ideas are what I would do if I was running my own gaming blog. I'm not telling anybody what to do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah. Sounded to me like you were "beating around the bush" but my bad. If you're bored with CAG at the moment anyways, why not create a site like Kotaku, Joystiq, etc in your own vision. It could be the New York Times of blogging. I know Wombat would work for ya if you paid him the same as UGO.

Cheapy --> grown a pair and stop backing down to these bs blogs.

Shipwreck ---> good job on selling out wombat and the cagcast....loser!

Wombat ---> good contest, these gaming blogs are becoming a bigger joke day by day

I'm half an hour in and it's still going on about the rumor sites, after everything pertinent seemed to have been said in about five minutes.

Anyone got a timestamp for when it stops?

I really enjoyed the "kotakugate" discussion, you guys brought up some great points--especially your wife, Cheapy. I agree with her that these blogs are not the equivalent of the New York Times, but that makes me wonder: who is?

There is always discussion about "who will be the Lester Bangs (or, hell, even Roger Ebert) of the games industry?" But it seems like we're even closer to ground zero than that. Do we not even have a credible news outlet as a starting point? As far as I can tell, we basically have these two extremes: 1) the rumor-blogs like Kotaku et. al., or 2) the straight-up PR that comes from publishers and platform holders.

So, where do we turn for real, investigative reporting on video games?

Investigative? What would they investigate?

Bangs and Ebert were critics, and we've got plenty of those.

I'd certainly like to see more serious reporting, but that doesn't seem to go in-hand with major sites. The Ziff crew probably had the greatest mindshare until recently. A bunch of those guys have moved on to publishers, so they'll now be in your second category.

I think the best thing you can do is look for and follow an independent journalist that has a real following and accessibility.

Myself, I like Tom Chick. He's an intelligent, responsible guy, and even I disagree with him, I can't fault his reasoning.

Check him out at Fidgit: http://fidgit.com/

They're out there. But if you want serious journalism (in any field) part of the responsibility relies on the reader to find it and parse it. That's the real difference between entertainment news and actual journalism.

I kinda have to disagree with Wombat's statement "Internet petitions don't do jack."

A example I'd like to use is how Microsoft will include 16:10 monitor support in the upcoming Fall update. Here is a link to it: http://www.petitiononline.com/X3601610/petition.html Even though it only got a little over 2,000 signatures, I do feel that this may have been a factor Microsoft took into consideration when decided to add this new feature to the Fall Update. As you guys have mentioned on a previous CAGcast, it does seem that Microsoft is listening to it's core's feedback.

Once again, great show. CheapyD seemed a little worried that this whole rumor fiasco thing might have caused some "beef" with some of the bloggers out there, one in particular. Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it, it's all part of the business.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If the unlock all songs code disables achievements and high scores in Rock Band 2, why would you want it to save that and not allow you to ever get achievements again without deleting that save and starting over again?[/QUOTE]

Once you enter the code it unlocks the "all tracks unlocked" cheat. You're able to turn the cheat on and off so you can still get the achievements without having to erase your game save.

Cheapy, you can unlock the songs more quickly by playing various Marathon challenges instead of the WT mode:

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/rock-band-2-special-edition-/907870p2.html

Yo Cheapy, you are taking all this kotaku shit way too seriously. the world is experiencing a financial meltdown. get over it. .. alright alright , just heard my post on CAGcast.
GAMESTOP SUCKS.

[quote name='steverl22']Cheapy --> grown a pair and stop backing down to these bs blogs.

Shipwreck ---> good job on selling out wombat and the cagcast....loser!

Wombat ---> good contest, these gaming blogs are becoming a bigger joke day by day[/quote]

lol, ship "sold out" the cagcast after quite a few pages of people telling them it was from cag.

Man, you guys really went all out on the rumor topic. I'm not gonna beat a dead horse, so I'll just say that I agree with your sentiment, and hopefully everyone can learn their lessons and put this craziness behind them.

In reference to your one of your CAGbag questions, I am actually someone who purchased the Arcade version of the XBox 360. I was able to get a good deal on a 120GB hard drive, which was the only reason I considered the Elite model. The rest of the crap I didn't care about: I already have a boatload of ethernet cables, I could care less about a chrome disk tray and black color, and I can find headsets and HDMI cables for less than $20 combined. Therefore, I was able to get the XBox experience I wanted and save about $80.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but in the World Tour mode, there is this "Challenge" area, which you can play through, doing random challenges, and unlock pretty much all of the songs in a relatively quick manner.

That's what I did.

I haven't listened yet but the blogs did not learn their lesson. Last night Joystiq and Kotaku both posted "rumors" that PS3 firmware 2.5 would be released in October and Home 1.0 would be included in it and available to everyone.

bread's done
Back