The Punisher: No Mercy - PSN Exclusive FPS - July 2 - $9.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/23/the-punisher-no-mercy-coming-exclusively-to-psn/
In case you haven’t already figured it out, there is a new Punisher game coming! We here at Zen Studios are super excited to announce that we’re bringing Marvel’s storied franchise The Punisher to PLAYSTATION Network. Just a quick FYI – EVERYONE here at Zen Studios is a massive Marvel True Believer, so the entire team is on fire for this project.

We’re calling the game The Punisher: No Mercy because that’s exactly what it is – merciless. For the first time on consoles, you’ll see the Marvel Universe through a first-person perspective in some intense arena-based multiplayer action. Also, the game is being built from the ground up with some serious tech – yes, we are using the Unreal Engine 3 (the ultimate FPS engine) for this exclusive PSN release. Our main focus is to create an awesome online multiplayer experience with the style and grit from the Punisher’s world, complete with characters like Jigsaw, Bushwacker, Barracuda and even Silver Sable (been reading War Journal lately?…).

What does this mean for you gamers? You better get ready to kick some serious #$% with the first ever first-person shooter developed exclusively for PSN. Stay tuned for more details as they become available at www.punishernomercy.com. Because of the time difference here in Budapest, all of you who are craving more info can ask your questions in the comments area below, and I’ll have answers for you in another post soon.

wow... I saw the news but didn't realize it was a PSn exclusive... I'm very excited now :) I love punisher stuff :p

here's leaked screens:
10rppo3.jpg

2r3crrp.jpg

33omjqu.jpg

if it sells for $20, I'm sold.

For the first time on consoles, you’ll see the Marvel Universe through a first-person perspective in some intense arena-based multiplayer action.

That just sounds strange to me. I've never thought Marvel Universe and FPS would belong in the same sentence, so I don't know what to think.
That won't stop me from playing a good game, though, so I hope it turns out well.

More info on the game:
Today, Zsolt sent us the answers to those questions from Hungary(!) I hope you find the answers you’re looking for below – I know his response on Trophies will please many of you…
Q: What kind of graphics can we expect from The Punisher: No Mercy?
  • A: With so many great looking First Person Shooter(FPS) and Third Person Shooter(TPS) games available, we simply can’t afford not to give gamers the same kind of high quality. We’ve licensed great technology and we’re pushing it to the limits. With the overall feel of The Punisher: No Mercy, we’ve included dark, smoky / hazy levels with realistic characters and environments, but we’re still keeping several comic pages impressions that truly capture the essence of what fans have come to expect from the Punisher franchise.

Q: Why is Zen Studios using the Unreal Engine to build The Punisher: No Mercy?
  • A: Unreal Engine is one of the best in the industry, perfect for a multiplayer heavy FPS / TPS game. It was exceptional at the time we licensed it, but over the last months the Epic engineers made drastic improvements for the PlayStation3 code with tons of new special technologies and features. We are working very hard to make sure you see some of these improvements firsthand in The Punisher: No Mercy.
Q: Is there going to be a trophy system?
  • A: Yes, the Trophy system is fully supported.
Q: When can we expect to see a trailer?
  • A: The first trailer will be available within the coming weeks.

Q: Is there a single player mode?
  • A: Yes, there is a single player story mode where players need to beat hordes of bad guys in different challenging game mode to unfold the original story and unlock all elements of the game.
Q: Is there going to be character customization?
  • A: Yes! Players can select special abilities before the battle that can give you tactical benefits on the field if you exploit them cleverly. We’ll have more details at a later time.
Q: How many different weapons will be in the game?
  • A: Creating an impressive arsenal in The Punisher: No Mercy has been one of our top priorities. We’ve included different categories of weapons that players can choose from (close quarters, long range, and special weapon). As players collect more and more frags or weapon power-ups, the arsenal becomes more and more lethal.
Q: When can we see the first screen shots?
  • A: The first screenshots are currently available on Gamespot, and many more will be available in the near future.

Q: Any idea of how big a download this will be?
  • A: Hopefully below 1gig, but it may be difficult as we want to include all the cool graphics and environment that we are currently working on.
Q: Will there be Hungarian subtitles? (from EmThor in Hungry!)
  • A: The game is localized to German, Italian, Spanish and French, but unfortunately not to Hungarian. However if you are around Budapest feel free to visit our studio, and we can provide some real time narration :eek:)
Q: Will the game output at 30 or 60 FPS?
  • A: With this kind of huge GFX data only 30 FPS is realistic.
Q: How do you pronounce “Zsolt Kigyossy”?
  • A: “Zs” is one letter, same as in Zsa Zsa Gabor. Pronouncing anything in my language is simple: one just needs to try to pronounce each letters (like in German), and it is done :eek:) thank you for asking.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/24/the-punisher-no-mercy-–-your-questions-answered/

It actually looks okay. As long as it doesnt take an entire clip to kill people and everyone isnt moving at light speed then I will get into it

It looks better than I expected, but I just don't see people playing this over COD, R2, KZ 2 (when it comes out), Warhawk, socom, and others. It just seems silly to me that anyone would release a PSN shooter like this.

I enjoyed the last Punisher movie and game, but everything I have seen from this Punisher has been garbage. It really sucks that they didn't stick with Tom Jane and Volition.

[quote name='smiggity']Probably because gaming time is limited for most people[/quote]
For just one game at a time? I don't think they'd be looking at a PSN game for their online fix anyway and I'm not sure many of them are here on CAG compared to those that do have the time to play more stuff online.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I enjoyed the last Punisher movie and game, but everything I have seen from this Punisher has been garbage. It really sucks that they didn't stick with Tom Jane and Volition.[/quote]

Yeah, I still think Thomas Jane was a good pick but I'll give the new guy at least a chance... I hope it's more like garth ennis stories than early punisher stuff.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']For just one game at a time? I don't think they'd be looking at a PSN game for their online fix anyway and I'm not sure many of them are here on CAG compared to those that do have the time to play more stuff online.[/quote]

True true. Although no matter how many games I have I really only play 1 at a time until it is dominated.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Debut Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43000.html

yes, it's another FPS but I'm a sucker for anything punisher.[/QUOTE]

There's enough here to get my interest. I'd like to see how this pans out more. And I need to see what the price tag may be. If it's $20 or less, I'm sold. Any word on multiplayer?

[quote name='Ahadi']There's enough here to get my interest. I'd like to see how this pans out more. And I need to see what the price tag may be. If it's $20 or less, I'm sold. Any word on multiplayer?[/quote]
Not to be an ass, but did you even read the OP's post? "Our main focus is to create an awesome online multiplayer experience," and the guy also mentions that there will be a single player story mode.

On a side note, how does gamesharing work with multiplayer titles? :p

You'll be able to share it.

And my point about needing to choose this over other FPS games was that for a title based mainly on online multiplayer other people will need to play it over those games to have anyone to play against. I even tried to play Wipeout online a few weeks ago (before the patch) and there were all of 3 races.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Not to be an ass, but did you even read the OP's post? "Our main focus is to create an awesome online multiplayer experience," and the guy also mentions that there will be a single player story mode.

On a side note, how does gamesharing work with multiplayer titles? :p[/QUOTE]

Oh I totally skimmed it and totally missed that :lol: I did watch the video though ;)

[quote name='doubledown']If it is shareable, I am totally in. Not sure how happy knows it will be shareable as SOCOM was NOT.[/quote]

The only games you cant share are socom warhawk and GT5P, which are BR and PSN simultaneous $40 releases. Punsher is not. It is more along the lines of Wipeout. Even Burnout is shareable (I hope more older BR games become shareable $30 PSN titles).

Obviously any game has a chance you can't share it, but there's no reason to expect they will change with this.

[quote name='doubledown']If it is shareable, I am totally in. Not sure how happy knows it will be shareable as SOCOM was NOT.[/quote]

Well Wipeout and Burnout are both shareable so maybe thats where he is coming from. If it is not shareable then there is no way I will get it either

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I enjoyed the last Punisher movie and game, but everything I have seen from this Punisher has been garbage. It really sucks that they didn't stick with Tom Jane and Volition.[/quote]

I definitely liked the Punisher played by Thomas Jane as well, but from what I've seen of Jigsaw(who some may now confuse with the lead 'villian' from the Saw movies)and the other characters in the trailers, I'm liking it.

As long as we never go back to the format of the 1989 Dolph Lundgren stinker, where he had a drunken hobo as a 'sidekick'. Although, I have to admit that that movie was decent for its time, minus the drunken homeless guy helping the Punisher.

The gameplay in the trailer looks reeeaally stiff. The guns don't look like they have any recoil in them at all and it looks like the turning is slow.

Battlefield: 1943 stole this game's thunder (forgot about TP:NM) so they'll have to price competitively against them ($5 less). Didn't see any iron sights in the first trailer and that's one of my FPS quirks ever since CoD4:MW spoiled me with that. Other than that, the fidelity is up to snuff if albeit uninspired.

I think the problem with this game is that people are probably only going to buy either this or Battlefield 1943. If that game gets released around the same time and for a similar price, say $15, I think more people would buy that game and not this one based on name recognition alone.

I haven't played this yet, but I imagine some of the appeal is the ease of it always being on your system, just clicking and it going and relatively easy to pick up on the fly like Crash Commando's

bread's done
Back