Blockbuster Price Dropping 40GB PS3 to $359.99

"SCEA says that this price cut did not come from Sony but rather is something Blockbuster is doing, likely to clear stock."
And the new price is $359.99, not $299.99

It's for Blockbuster only, and not something that other vendors appear to be doing.

Once other vendors start dropping the price down to $300, then it's an across-the-board price drop. For now, it's just a rumor.

$299 is the used price, that's what PRP means. 'Previous Rental Product' or something along those lines. But that also includes systems traded in, or in this case that's all it includes because I don't think they rent systems anyway.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is just Blockbuster and it's still in the rumor stages.:dunce:

If it were $299, I'd probably buy one (cheap flipping credit FTW!). I think I'll call around and find out if any stores have used units...

[quote name='DariusWIND']"SCEA says that this price cut did not come from Sony but rather is something Blockbuster is doing, likely to clear stock."
And the new price is $359.99, not $299.99[/quote]

We are clearancing out the 40gb ones for $299 brand new along with our dated bundles including the remote/12 week rental card/transformers game and Spiderman 3 blu-ray movie.

You did not read wrong, we sell them used for $169.99

I got the email from my DM a few days ago.

Are you sure you didn't mis-read it spinksjinx?

How can they buy 40GBs for $165 trade in value, but sell them for $169?

Alright, I also agree with spinks that they will be cut to $299. The 40GB models have been 359.99 for a couple weeks here around me.

Also they have the new 80GBs now so it wouldn't make sense to only charge 40 bones more for 40 more Gigs. A dollar a gig... Hmm I wonder what people are going to buy if that were the case.

I'm not disagreeing about the new price, I just don't think he used price is correct.

They would only be making $4 for every used 40GB they sold and they would be selling the used systems for almost half the price of the new price.

Doesn't add up.

[quote name='zewone']I'm not disagreeing about the new price, I just don't think he used price is correct.

They would only be making $4 for every used 40GB they sold and they would be selling the used systems for almost half the price of the new price.

Doesn't add up.[/quote]

I agree with you on that. I think it is probably more like 150 Buy back and 200-250 used... But this only on the 40gb.

[quote name='mkernan']$299 is the used price, that's what PRP means. 'Previous Rental Product' or something along those lines. But that also includes systems traded in, or in this case that's all it includes because I don't think they rent systems anyway.[/QUOTE]

I must have missed this post before.

Yeah, this makes sense.

$359 for new, $299 for used.

633580209178161756.jpg

There are so many numbers being thrown around...
One of my Blockbusters cut XBOX prices early. I will try to check when I am there on Monday to see what the friendly manager says.

Here is where I am confused...

When did this go out to the BBV managers?

I ask because there have been BBV/GR both in GR and Saginaw, MI that have had the 40GB marked down to 359.99 for about two weeks already. That is why I am thinking that the cut will be down to 299.99.

Dudes, what the f is there to argue with here?..... the graphic clearly states all the prices. The price reduction from $399 to $359 for a new 40 GB system took place like two weeks ago. A couple of guys who regularly post in the Blockbuster thread, one of them mentioned it at the time when he first got the communication. Kotaku probably just caught wind of this change a week or two after it happened. I stand firm in my belief: $359 new, $299 used for a 40 GB PS3 at Blockbuster.

[quote name='mkernan']Dudes, what the f is there to argue with here?..... the graphic clearly states all the prices. The price reduction from $399 to $359 for a new 40 GB system took place like two weeks ago. A couple of guys who regularly post in the Blockbuster thread, one of them mentioned it at the time when he first got the communication. Kotaku probably just caught wind of this change a week or two after it happened. I stand firm in my belief: $359 new, $299 used for a 40 GB PS3 at Blockbuster.[/quote]

Calm down brosif... All I was wondering was how recent this was... As I was one of them that posted in that thread about the cut to $359 and was wondering why this was just now getting surfaced.

What PS3 is recommended as there are so many versions out there and I do not have the MGS4 Bundle 80 gb w/ backwards compatability option?

If you rule out backward compatibility (which you can really only get now if you find an MGS bundle), then obviously the 80 GB is the better choice for the larger storage capacity. If you're just going for the cheapest, then of course 40 GB. Or, if you're patient and want even more storage, wait for the 160 GB.

Today is the day to see what the real price drops are at BBV only. I'll let u know what I find out today.

no luck at my local Blockbuster. They didnt have any systems, said to check Wed. & she didnt know anything about a price drop

Mine (New Jersey) has it at $359 + tax. They also have a "spiderman bundle" and a "transformers bundle" that they marked down.

bread's done
Back