The Oregon Trail

XboxMaster

CAGiversary!
Does anyone know if there is some site I can download this game? I mean the original one, the really old one, the awesome one! I spent so much time playing this at my old school in second grade. I loved how you could pass by tombstones of ppl who previously played and died. If you don't know where to download this, then you can just post about Oregon Trail in general.

People always broke their damn arm. Did they just constantly fall out of the wagon? I wish my family didn't have down syndrome on the way to Oregon.

Whenever I try and download the game, an error comes up. If someone doesn't have this problem, then could you download it and email it to me? [-o

whenever we would play it, we would never buy enough clothes for everyone, that way it ended up that one boy and one girl were naked together. hilarity and embarassment ensued.

crossing the river was the best. I never paided the ferry. Naming your party things like ass and loser was the best.

You lost 50 pounds of food
You lost 2 wagon wheels
Ass and loser drowned

Was shooting bison part of that game or is that some other game? I thought it was.

We need a remake of this game. Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden got one.

I would bet more people know about The Oregon Trail than those two originals. Now I really want a new one. Think of the possibilities!

Anybody ever play "Hot Dog Stand"? It was a game that was supposed to teach you about buying and selling and how they relate to conditions like weather, price, etc.

My favorite was setting the price at $100 per hot dog. Some moron always bought the hot dog...

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Was shooting bison part of that game or is that some other game? I thought it was.
[/quote]

I think it was in the later revisions of the game. I remember the game made by TLC (Learning Company) had the bison shooting to get food. You could also shoot rabbits, ducks, and squirrels but they dont give much food.

I remember playing this game back in the days of true floppy disks (i.e. twice as big as today's floppies, and they even flex a little) in its green, white, and purple pixilated glory. Pretty fun game.

[quote name='TheRock88'][quote name='SteveMcQ']Was shooting bison part of that game or is that some other game? I thought it was.
[/quote]

I think it was in the later revisions of the game. I remember the game made by TLC (Learning Company) had the bison shooting to get food. You could also shoot rabbits, ducks, and squirrels but they dont give much food.[/quote]

I know for a fact that they made an "Oregon Trail II" game in the mid-'90s (my sister and I used to play it all the time) and I think they made a third one but I've never played it.

[quote name='Amanda the Red Mage'][quote name='TheRock88'][quote name='SteveMcQ']Was shooting bison part of that game or is that some other game? I thought it was.
[/quote]

I think it was in the later revisions of the game. I remember the game made by TLC (Learning Company) had the bison shooting to get food. You could also shoot rabbits, ducks, and squirrels but they dont give much food.[/quote]

I know for a fact that they made an "Oregon Trail II" game in the mid-'90s (my sister and I used to play it all the time) and I think they made a third one but I've never played it.[/quote]

I actually saw the third one today in a rack of clearance software. Funny how things work. :D

I remember in 1991 or 92 my high school got these new comps that were 'networked' in one big room and they all had some fancy-schmancy ne Oregon Trail on them. The kicker was that since all the comps were connected in this really primative 'network,' each player was playing against/alongside each other player in the room. We all thought it was the coolest shit in the world!!!

Course, XBL and PS Online pale in comparison!!!

I was looking for this game a few months ago. I managed to track down The Oregon Trail Deluxe. It seems indentical to the original version, although it's been about 10 years since I last played it, so who knows. Surprisingly, it runs on XP on my computer. I stuck it up on my personal server here: http://www.peanutco.com/mattfish/oregondlx.zip. Feel free to download it.

(I'm not sure what the general rule is about linking to a game like this. It's from 1992, and I doubt MECC, if they're even still in business, really cares one way or the other. However, if there is a problem, let me know and I'll take down the link.)

-Matt

About the shooting for food. The first version i played had a top down hunting game. Then some years later later I saw a first person esque way to hunt. My Favorite part was the end where you decide to take the rocky road or risk it all floating down the river.

I always loved how you could shoot thousands of pounds of animal meat, but your little guy could only manage to bring home like 100 pounds. I guess more then one trip to the wagon was unthinkable.

-Matt

Awesome game.
I have the CD-ROM version for Windows 3.1 at home. Haven't played it in ages. (I wonder if it'd run on XP?) Another fun part that no one mentioned was when you made it to the end, and you had a choice to raft down the river or just take the trail. I'd always take the river. You have to avoid the rocks, and then you win!

I never played the version with the top-down hunting game. Mine had the first-person type. Interesting.

Also, yeah, seeing tombstones from previous games was always cool. "Oh, I remember that!"

Has anyone else played OT II? I just remembered something: when someone died, you had the option to give them a proper burial or leave immediately. If you chose leave immediately, you received a warning about how this may have "dire consequences." What were the consequences?

[quote name='Amanda the Red Mage']Has anyone else played OT II? I just remembered something: when someone died, you had the option to give them a proper burial or leave immediately. If you chose leave immediately, you received a warning about how this may have "dire consequences." What were the consequences?[/quote]

Maybe they come back and haunt you, or it's a "religious" thing where, if you didn't bury them properly, you're more inclined to get sick and die. I'd be interested to know. Could just be an empty threat! :wink:

Oregon Trail was the only video game type computer game that they had in school for the AppleIIe that was "somewhat educational"

"so what do u want to do?"

HUNT FOR FOOD!

you shot 1123 lbs of food, but you could only carry 100 lbs to the wagon.

"so what do u want to do?"

HUNT FOR FOOD!

etc.

Yeah, it was fun seeing how many pounds of food you could kill, even though you could only take 100 lbs back. The whole screen would be littered with dead buffalo, deer, rabbits, and birds. But after that one hunting spree, food would be scarce and your party was screwed. :p

Pausing? What do you mean? Like a skipping CD? The game always runs flawlessly on my machine for some strange reason (I expected to have a rediculous number of problems because its so old).

-Matt

Wasn't The Oregon Trail mainly a text-based game? Because I also remember playing it, but I remember it being text-based. I can't decide whether or not I remember actually shooting at the animals. :whistle2:k

It may have started that way on the old Apples, but as computers got better, it became a graphical game. I only had the CDROM for Windows 3.1, and that was simple 2D graphics.

I know I'm not the only one that played the spinoff Amazon Trail. Instead of always shooting animals, I went to always spearing fish.

When I start playing the one I downloaded form Mattfish, like a couple minutes in the game, it just stops. Then when I have to do control, alt, delete to exit it, reboot it, then it has all these wierd problems like I constantly have $-1. The Underdogs link won't let me download it and I don't wanna install an emu to run it. Why, why Oregon Trail, why won't you grace me the privelage of playing you?!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

[quote name='st0neface']I know I'm not the only one that played the spinoff Amazon Trail. Instead of always shooting animals, I went to always spearing fish.[/quote]

I definately remember that game. It was really fun if i remember correctly. You had to take lots of pictures of all the animals and stuff. Good times.

[quote name='Mattfish']I was looking for this game a few months ago. I managed to track down The Oregon Trail Deluxe. It seems indentical to the original version, although it's been about 10 years since I last played it, so who knows. Surprisingly, it runs on XP on my computer. I stuck it up on my personal server here: http://www.peanutco.com/mattfish/oregondlx.zip. Feel free to download it.

(I'm not sure what the general rule is about linking to a game like this. It's from 1992, and I doubt MECC, if they're even still in business, really cares one way or the other. However, if there is a problem, let me know and I'll take down the link.)

-Matt[/quote]

I tried downloading it and running it on my XP. After I unzipped it, I clicked on the .exe file. However, the image was all distorted and crashed my machine. Do I have to set something else up first to run it?

[quote name='moiety']It may have started that way on the old Apples, but as computers got better, it became a graphical game. I only had the CDROM for Windows 3.1, and that was simple 2D graphics.[/quote]
I'm sorry, I didn't realize my age was showing. :oops:

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac'][quote name='moiety']It may have started that way on the old Apples, but as computers got better, it became a graphical game. I only had the CDROM for Windows 3.1, and that was simple 2D graphics.[/quote]
I'm sorry, I didn't realize my age was showing. :oops:[/quote]

Oh no! I wasn't trying to insult! :oops:

Yo Oregon Trail Blows. I played for two hours and my character dies from the epilepsy. I almost punched a hole in my monitor. To hell with starting over from the beginning.

Yeah, Oregon Trail is one of my favorite memories of elementary school. Forget the damn ferry, turn those wheels upright, and march those poor cows to their watery graves. I even remember the oooollllddd school one on real floppy disks, where hunting wasn't done with the mouse, it was done in 3/4 isometric view and it was next to impossible to hit anything. I also remember having a very primitive instant messenger program on the networked computers, cuz the teacher would always have to tell us not to use it and pay attention. Good times.

bread's done
Back