Brainy women face handicap in marriage stakes: British survey

The majority of men want women to be atleast somewhat subservient. A highly intelligent woman is much less likely to be comfortable in that role. However an intelligent man should find it much easier to make a comfortable income which is going to make him more appealing to women (not saying women are money-grubbers, however women are much more likely to marry a man with a stable income).

I'm sure its true here also.

There's a hidden variable in this...

Even if the female possesses a higher intelligence level, it is extremely likely that she will have trouble operating home electronics/computers.

I'm not sure why this holds true, but it often does.

According to that article, it would seem that intelligent women are going to be bred out sooner than intelligent men. Go team!
:wave:

That article takes me to a page saying Madonna's husband gave her a $190,000 ring. Is this what you guys are talking about?

[quote name='RBM']According to that article, it would seem that intelligent women are going to be bred out sooner than intelligent men. Go team!
:wave:[/quote]

That makes no sense genetically speaking.

[quote name='snipegod']That makes no sense genetically speaking.[/quote]

The article cites two trends: that intelligent men opt for slightly less intelligent women (who also tend to be slightly more willing to cede them the dominant role in a relationship) when they marry, while intelligent women tend not to marry at all. Clearly, these trends represent a significant portion of the general public and grant us a valuable peek into the future.

Actually, I think there is another variable at play . . .

The study seems to assume that all women have an equal desire to marry . . . but I think many intelligent women steer clear of men altogether (especially geeky gamers) :shock:

I've always found brains to be a near worthless trait in women. I don't like having debates/academic discussions with people, I got enough of that crap in college to last a lifetime.

[quote name='jimbodan']I've always found brains to be a near worthless trait in women. I don't like having debates/academic discussions with people, I got enough of that crap in college to last a lifetime.[/quote]

That limits your discussions to how your days were at work and respective friends and family, though.

[quote name='jimbodan']I've always found brains to be a near worthless trait in women. I don't like having debates/academic discussions with people, I got enough of that crap in college to last a lifetime.[/quote]

Anti-intellectualism helps to explain how the Bush presidency could occur.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='jimbodan']I've always found brains to be a near worthless trait in women. I don't like having debates/academic discussions with people, I got enough of that crap in college to last a lifetime.[/quote]

That limits your discussions to how your days were at work and respective friends and family, though.[/quote]

Nah, there is other stuff, I just try to stay from all that intellectual B.S.

I don't mind talking about stuff like that, I just don't like discussing it in great detail, like I don't want to hear the details of a book on the Isreali/Palistine conflict, but a casual mention of events is ok.

It's kinda hard to explain what I mean

[quote name='schultzed'][quote name='jimbodan']I've always found brains to be a near worthless trait in women. I don't like having debates/academic discussions with people, I got enough of that crap in college to last a lifetime.[/quote]

Anti-intellectualism helps to explain how the Bush presidency could occur.[/quote]

And pseudo-intellectualism explains why democrats thought John Kerry would make a good candidate for president (and also why he lost).

[quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='schultzed'][quote name='jimbodan']I've always found brains to be a near worthless trait in women. I don't like having debates/academic discussions with people, I got enough of that crap in college to last a lifetime.[/quote]

Anti-intellectualism helps to explain how the Bush presidency could occur.[/quote]

And pseudo-intellectualism explains why democrats thought John Kerry would make a good candidate for president (and also why he lost).[/quote]

Pseudo-intellectualism explains why Kerry thought he was a good candidate . . . most Democrats I know had no confidence in Kerry . . . they just hate Bush. Clinton is better example of intellect in a politician.

[quote name='schultzed'][quote name='jimbodan']I've always found brains to be a near worthless trait in women. I don't like having debates/academic discussions with people, I got enough of that crap in college to last a lifetime.[/quote]

Nah, lack of education and general stupidity amongst the population explains that.

It's topical....Haemorrhoids and women are both pains in the ass!

(Oh, I'm gonna pay for that one, aren't I? :))

[quote name='rickc25']Check out the link again. Looks like the article got changed to something even more amusing.[/quote]

I agree, this is a more interesting article.

Hmmm, an article about
"Haemorrhoids triggered 18-year British quest for perfect toilet paper"
Now that's intellectually stimulation if I haven't seen any in awhile!

[quote name='RBM'][quote name='snipegod']That makes no sense genetically speaking.[/quote]

The article cites two trends: that intelligent men opt for slightly less intelligent women (who also tend to be slightly more willing to cede them the dominant role in a relationship) when they marry, while intelligent women tend not to marry at all. Clearly, these trends represent a significant portion of the general public and grant us a valuable peek into the future.[/quote]

If a man mates with a female of lower intelligence, their children of both sexes with have lower intelligence, not just the female children.

Intelligence is being bred out; this much is true as the most intelligent women breed less than the less intelligent ones. This will have an even effect on the whole populace, not just the women.

That's why what you're proposing is genetically unsound.

[quote name='snipegod'][quote name='RBM'][quote name='snipegod']That makes no sense genetically speaking.[/quote]

The article cites two trends: that intelligent men opt for slightly less intelligent women (who also tend to be slightly more willing to cede them the dominant role in a relationship) when they marry, while intelligent women tend not to marry at all. Clearly, these trends represent a significant portion of the general public and grant us a valuable peek into the future.[/quote]

If a man mates with a female of lower intelligence, their children of both sexes with have lower intelligence, not just the female children.

Intelligence is being bred out; this much is true as the most intelligent women breed less than the less intelligent ones. This will have an even effect on the whole populace, not just the women.

That's why what you're proposing is genetically unsound.[/quote]

That would mean intelligence is completely genetic, though, which I don't think has been proven yet, has it?

Snipegod, it seems to be my sad fate to constantly be out of synch with others on this site. When I am in a somber mood, the site is replete with goofy threads. When I'm in a glib mood, others are serious. Oddly enough, I tend to use fewer smilies when I'm joking than when I'm being straightforward, and that doesn't help matters too much.

I would not put too much faith in the findings cited in that article. When I read it, I found it humorous but didn't believe it. Folks nowadays sample a limited sub-population and try to correlate trend A with trend B in an effort to cobble together something which the media takes as a scientific finding. I'm not denying that more "intelligent" women (i.e. women with higher educational backgrounds occupying jobs which they deemed demanding in some intellectual way...I don't know what their basis was for considering someone smart or not) marry less than women with less education in lower tax brackets. However, I don't believe the article in the sense of accepting its relevance to the general public as a whole.

Sure, it's a trend. There are lots of trends. But, trends which have taken place on a much larger scale (think back to the sixties) didn't result in massive impact on society in general. Hordes of weed-smoking, war-protesting hippies didn't reshape this country into Happy Land, and career-minded women marrying later or less or not at all isn't going to translate into lower standardized test scores in twenty to thirty years. In a nutshell--which is where I guess I should've left this wordy response--I considered that article worthy of a glib response. Not a well thought-out or scientifically sound response. So, that's what my previous posts were.

Original article. The article is really just a blurb. The study included 900 men and women between their 10th and 40th birthdays. Including 10-year-olds in a study on marriage prospects seems like a bad idea -- what information can be gained there? I don't get the impression that divorce is taken into account, i.e. I expect they only examined whether or not people got married, not whether or not those marriages were successful. There was also an indication that many of the more intelligent women were not interested in marriage, because the men available to them were not interesting -- So, their not marrying is by choice, not necessity.

Many men feel threatened by women who are more intelligent than they are. This is true in varying degrees:

Some men actively seek stupid women, so that they (the men) can have a feeling of superiority. These are generally (and this is based only on my personal observations) not very intelligent me, or men who are immature or have very low self esteem. Always being in the teacher role in a relationship can be draining. One of the last dates I went on was with a girl who must have said "Wow, you're so smart" at least a dozen times (and, no, she was not being sarcastic . :wink: ). She was not a stupid girl, but she took on a subserviant role. She was very sweet, but if one's ego gets stroked too much, it can get sore.

Some men want a woman who is roughly as intelligent as they are -- a woman who is not always on the "student" side of the conversation, but who can teach the man as much as learn from him. I, personally, find these relationships to be the most rewarding.

Some men are not at all intimidated by intelligent women, and actually prefer to take on the subservient role themselves. This category of men is pretty small. I have to admit, if a woman is vastly more intelligent than I am, I feel intimidated, and, yes, emasculated. While I often find these women fascinating and exhilerating at first, feelings of insecurity tend to arise. Being in a relationship in which one can learn from one's partner is great, but being in a relationship in which one can do nothing but learn can be as draining as being in a relationship in which one can do nothing but teach.

What do women want? Who the hell knows? Seriously, though, a lot of women prefer the more subserviant role. Generally, they grew up as daddy's little girl, and got comfortable with it. Comfort is a pretty hard thing to fight against, much harder than adversity. In addition to their familial reinforcement of the subservient role, society, the Media (yes, the capital M, Media) propogate the image of women as generally less intelligent and less capable than men.

I think a healthy relationship involves roughly as much teaching as learning. If one spends too long in either role, one tends to get trapped. Ok, I've ranted and rambled enough for now. I started this post a while ago, but I got distracted several times by work, so if it is slightly incoherent, please forgive me.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='snipegod'][quote name='RBM'][quote name='snipegod']That makes no sense genetically speaking.[/quote]

That's why what you're proposing is genetically unsound.[/quote]

That would mean intelligence is completely genetic, though, which I don't think has been proven yet, has it?[/quote]

Search google for a couple of different monozygotic twin studies where they were raised apart (with two completely different families). The most famous of which would be one from ... either the University of Michigan, I believe. I may be wrong on the school, though.

Either way, these studies of monozygotic twins find that, despite the way they were raised, that once they reach maturity the twins are just as similar (in their intellect, personality, etc) as if they were brought up in the same environment.

Take it for what you will.

bread's done
Back