- - - - -

PS3 Overheating? Replace the thermal paste. :)

#1 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

OK, this is for those of you who are having problems with your PS3. My PS3 was overheating, and outputting glitched video. Sometimes I'd get video, other times I wouldn't. When I did get video, it was discolored with blurry text. So, I simply replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Just follow this disassembly tutorial, and when you have everything apart, remove the old paste, and put new paste on.

http://llamma.com/PS...ly_tutorial.htm

Some say that all paste is the same, but some swear by Arctic silver. I used the generic brand from Best Buy and it worked fine. Also, as a tip, don't put your PS3 back in the case. Put everything together, but set it on some wood blocks or something, and out of the case. I set my on some books for a few hours first. Make sure the fan has enough room to breathe. After letting it just run for a few hours, I turned it off, let it cool, turned it back on, and it's been working ever since.

This is a fairly simple process, and should only take you a few hours. The one thing you MUST be careful of though, is at the very end of the disassembly tutorial. It asks you to take the metal shielding off of the motherboard. BE CAREFUL OF THE BATTERY IN THE CORNER. If you don't work with caution, you could rip it off the motherboard and have to solder back on, which is a PITA. Anyway, post here if you used this method and it worked. So far, it's also worked for tmac619619.

Edited by Access_Denied, 15 October 2008 - 12:05 AM.

#2 h3ro   be easy... CAGiversary!   126 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

Try reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling the most up to date firmware.

Your disk might be corrupted.

#3 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

Your disk might be corrupted.

How exactly do I do that? (Sorry for being such a noob.)

#4 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

I'll tell you what to do:
-Reformat HDD and see if it works.

-Hard Reset the PS3. Basically, turn the PS3 off. Turn it back on, but hold your finger on the power button until you hear a third beep.

I've heard of freezing, but never heard of that issue (weird display).

I believe there's a setting to reformat it, or try pulling your PS3 HDD out and putting it back in.

EDIT: Go to Restore PS3 System and/or format utility.

Here's the support online also:
http://www.us.playst...com/support/ps3

#5 greyzieoriental   is your Daddy CAGiversary!   2375 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

greyzieoriental

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

send it in to SONY and tell them that this happened after doing the latest firmware update
"since you do not have a receipt it will be considered out of warranty"
ask to speak to a supervisor and explain to him:

"its been a long time, i purchased my ps3 with cash and could not get any proof of purchase from the retailer"
make sure to tell them that it happened after doing an update

check the manufacture date on PS3 and see if it is within 1 year, and argue that fact calmly
if you get a nice supervisor and you are not being a dick on the phone
they might service you ps3 under warranty, under a gesture of goodwill and return your unit with a 90 day warranty

after you receive it back sell your ps3 to another unsuspecting CL person and get yourself a new PS3 (keep your receipt) or 360 (no receipt needed)

#6 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

I can't exactly format the HDD, due to not being able to boot the console now. I try to calibrate it with the AV cable, but all I get are colored specs all over a black screen, and I can hear the sound. :(

And what if the PS3 is over a year old? Will they not cover it?

#7 greyzieoriental   is your Daddy CAGiversary!   2375 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

greyzieoriental

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

over 1 year is out of warranty, $149+tax for service (shipping is free) and comes with 90 day warranty

#8 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:07 PM

over 1 year is out of warranty, $149+tax for service (shipping is free) and comes with 90 day warranty

Screw that, I just bought this POS. Also, the guy told me he bought it at EBgames, and that they can track and replace it with the serial number. Can anyone confirm this?

#9 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

I can't exactly format the HDD, due to not being able to boot the console now. I try to calibrate it with the AV cable, but all I get are colored specs all over a black screen, and I can hear the sound. :(

And what if the PS3 is over a year old? Will they not cover it?

At least hold the PS3 power button down when you turn on the PS3 (should set it to 480i, although that seems to be your resolution setting anyway) for 5 seconds or when you hear a 2nd beep. Or else at least do the hard reset, which I mentioned.

Sony requires a receipt for in-warranty repairs (although I guarantee if you have a 20GB or 60GB, it's not in warranty) to assure the console/handheld wasn't stolen and it proves they bought it.

Did you at least replace the HDD since I heard about it coming with a dead HDD?

#10 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

At least hold the PS3 power button down when you turn on the PS3 (should set it to 480i, although that seems to be your resolution setting anyway) for 5 seconds or when you hear a 2nd beep. Or else at least do the hard reset, which I mentioned.

Sony requires a receipt for in-warranty repairs (although I guarantee if you have a 20GB or 60GB, it's not in warranty) to assure the console/handheld wasn't stolen and it proves they bought it.

Did you at least replace the HDD since I heard about it coming with a dead HDD?

No, haven't replaced the hard drive. But I was told that it would boot and play games without a hard drive. (This might be false) The only other 2 SATA hard drives I have are my 360 20GB one, and my laptop 320GB one, neither of which I want to format.

#11 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

No, haven't replaced the hard drive. But I was told that it would boot and play games without a hard drive. (This might be false) The only other 2 SATA hard drives I have are my 360 20GB one, and my laptop 320GB one, neither of which I want to format.

A PS3 HDD is REQUIRED for games. The PS3 console will turn on, but the HDD is STILL required completely. If the PS3 actually plays games without the HDD, I'll be surprised (since games have patches, mandatory installs, etc. and other things that require a HDD). I seriously can't believe someone told you that. If you do not have a HDD, the PS3 is useless. It's not like the 360 that's made to work without a HDD also.

A 360 HDD will not work. Your laptop HDD would would, but I recommend you just buy a new HDD for the PS3 (you can find SATA 2.5" ones cheap). I'm being serious though, the HDD IS required on the PS3 regardless (no external memory format is supported, even if you are playing PS1/PS2 games).

#12 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

OK, I just hooked up my PS3 hard drive to my PC and formatted it to FAT32. It seemed to format fine, but when I put it in, I get the same problem.

#13 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

Try the PS3 without a HDD, and tell me IF you still see weird stuff. You cannot play anything or do much, but try that also. If it seems to be fine, it could be a HDD issue. If not, then it's an actual PS3 console issue. Still maybe try the hard reset because it might have been bricked or messed up.

#14 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

I tried without the hard drive, still no luck. I reset it back to 480i, and I couldn't get a picture.

#15 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

All right, I guess the PS3 is toast. The thing is, when you hold the power button for two seconds, it resets the PS3 picture so it works fine on SDTVs. But still, your situation is really strange. I would just yell at the guy who you bought it from at Craig's List.

#16 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

The guy is being an asshole. He said he sold it 'AS-IS'. But, he lied about the description of the console. He clearly told me that I could still play games with the console, which I can't. So he's about to get thousands of text messages and phone calls thanks to some bots of mine.

#17 Chuplayer   Anticitizen One CAGiversary!   2472 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Chuplayer

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

That sucks. Is it a 20 or 60 gig? If so, it's well worth it for the $150 fix.

#18 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

It's a 60GB.

#19 Mana Knight   Chrom CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

That sucks. Is it a 20 or 60 gig? If so, it's well worth it for the $150 fix.

He got it for $350. IMO, I would have preferred to buy a new one without PS2 BC (heck, I kind of wish I had a PS3 without PS2 BC since I never use it, but waiting until I get a good job to by a new one). Also, if he got one from GameStop, it would have been $429.99 before tax, and there would have been a better guarantee it would work (or could at least return it). That's why I see this as an issue in ways.

Did the guy say in his description it plays fine? If he did, then he lied. If he didn't say anything, he's not the complete blame (because you always want to make sure of that).

#20 Methadon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

Did you try calmly explaining to a SCEA rep that this happened during a firmware update?

#21 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

He got it for $350. IMO, I would have preferred to buy a new one without PS2 BC (heck, I kind of wish I had a PS3 without PS2 BC since I never use it, but waiting until I get a good job to by a new one). Also, if he got one from GameStop, it would have been $429.99 before tax, and there would have been a better guarantee it would work (or could at least return it). That's why I see this as an issue in ways.

Did the guy say in his description it plays fine? If he did, then he lied. If he didn't say anything, he's not the complete blame (because you always want to make sure of that).

He didn't mention it in the description, but when I emailed him, I asked if it would still play games, and he said yeah. I'll try calling SCEA.

#22 Chuplayer   Anticitizen One CAGiversary!   2472 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Chuplayer

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, but it's not like the service charge is going to be any more expensive than getting another PS3. And it's a 60gig console, so there's the extra incentive right there.

#23 siderealshift   ? CAGiversary!   397 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

siderealshift

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

If you are able to do this, and it is still acting funny, you're probably screwed. You might be able to sweet-talk Sony into fixing it for you, though, if you play it right.

I'd say that if you paid more than $100 for it, you got fleeced. (I wouldn't buy anything from eBay or craigslist listed "as is" -- the seller is basically saying "I know that this item is, or will soon be, in some way, totally FUBAR, and I don't want you crying to me about it".)

#24 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

Tried calling SCEA. Said it happened after a firmware update. They want $149 to fix it. Fuck.

#25 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

I don't know how, but I managed to see the screen enough to format the HDD and install the latest update. It works now. So, Fuck that dude. He's still getting thousands of phone calls.

EDIT: Fuck, I installed the update, but it rebooted and did the same thing. But everything looked OK during the update. Fuck.

#26 js1   Badassfully CAGiversary!   4263 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

Have you been able to try it on a hdtv with a HDMI cable? just to see if it's the cable or output on your ps3 could be broken.

#27 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:50 AM

Have you been able to try it on a hdtv with a HDMI cable? just to see if it's the cable or output on your ps3 could be broken.

Yeah, I tried with an HDMI cable, and still, no luck.

BTW- The CSR said that using any HDMI cable not specifically approved by Sony voids the warranty. :roll:

#28 js1   Badassfully CAGiversary!   4263 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

Damn, that sucks dude. I hope you can get it fixed at little to no cost.

#29 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

I doubt I will. Maybe I'll just put it on eBay as a broken console, count my losses and move on.

#30 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10439 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

You could try selling it on here