Using a PSone screen with ANY A/V device! 56K warning

Wshakspear

CAGiversary!
Welcome!
Many of you may have just bought a cheap PSone screen (or combo) from TRU, and this quick guide will show you what you need in order to enjoy nice stereo sound and great picture quality from any A/V source.

First thing you need is a PSone screen

p10100151vf.jpg

That is a back shot, which shows you the various inputs. From top to bottom, Left to right you have A/V IN (black hole), Headphone jack (green hole), A/V out (when hooked up to PSone system) and DC Inpue (Power. Yellow hole).

Next, you need a few certain connectors and cables.

p10100141ng.jpg

Camcorder Cable:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=16-3686
Goes from 3 RCA(Yellow, Red, White) connectors to a A/V headphone jack (3 black rings instead of 2).

RCA to RCA connector:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_002_001_003&product_id=274-898

EDIT: see end of post for some cheaper e-bay deals!

Use the connector to hook up ANY A/V source with RCA to the Camcorder cable. (Yellow to Yellow, Red to Red, White to White)

p10100162gz.jpg

Now plug the Camcorder Cable into the back of the PSone screen, as well as the power cord.

p10100187nw.jpg

Also, plug in your System/DVD Player/ A/V source with both power and A/V cables. In this case, i used a Gamecube. The screen is held up with a frame holder.

p10100211sq.jpg

Now power on your A/V source. The PSone screen is on already, as it is powered up the moment you plug in the AC adapter.

Enjoy!

p10100193kn.jpg

Thanks go to me, WShakSpear for actually typing all that, and taking pictures! :)

P.S. any spelling errors or mistakes, please tell me and i'll update it. Thanks!

EDIT:
Saturn - Christmas NiGHTS
p10100295gt.jpg

Xbox - Halo 2
p10100265lg.jpg

PS2 - Katamari Damacy
p10100281jt.jpg

EDIT:
neonglow has found this E-bayer who apparently is quite helpful and has the various cables for this project. Make sure you read the listings as always!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1Q...QQsassZrazernQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

BTW, you can also use some cheaper cords and connectors to do it in Mono. Same basic elements, just one less RCA cord.

great guide. around how much were these at TRU again? I remember the thread and my TRU had a few so I might pick another screen up(I already have the LCD combo, but the screen has lost its firmness from repeated closing and opening).

[quote name='sanjuro']great guide. around how much were these at TRU again? I remember the thread and my TRU had a few so I might pick another screen up(I already have the LCD combo, but the screen has lost its firmness from repeated closing and opening).[/quote]

15-40. i got mine for 35

[quote name='m_d_amore']ok next we need the how to ' install these in your headrests in the car[/quote]

To be quite honest, im gonna try and attach one to my cube, in a way that will look nice too. So yeah, if anyone has links to electronics quides, feel free to post'em :)

I was just wondering, is there an easy way to power a gamecube/ps2/xbox without using a wall power socket? IE: I'd like to make it portable. Do they have any sort of battery pack or anything for those systems?

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S'][quote name='Socheata']Wow, that's awesome. I think I'm gonna go buy the necessary cables and try that out.[/quote]

If you want something more cheaper and don't want extra cables, go buy this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=274-883

and just hook it up like this:
http://theinfamousj.dreamhost.com/archives/000110.html

Got that link from the TRU thread.

Nice pics Wshakspear.[/quote]

Just to note thats only Mono sound. It works perfectly fine that way, im just a stickler for stereo :)

Actually, I have that Y-adapter. It came with the surround sound speakers I bought awhile back. It allows me to hook up my speakers to my PC.

Thanks for the info! That should save me money. :D

Slightly off-topic, but I have a GameCube screen, which looks quite a bit better than the PS1 one. But can I hook that up to the Xbox also, anybody know?

I knew you could hook the screen up to something else, but I never knew you could do it without the PSOne attached! I just assumed that because there was no power switch, it needed to be powered on by the PSOne. This is great!

MjC

[quote name='peteyrose']Slightly off-topic, but I have a GameCube screen, which looks quite a bit better than the PS1 one. But can I hook that up to the Xbox also, anybody know?[/quote] All depends on what kind of A/V inputs your screen has. And im sorry, but no other screen touches the PSone

[quote name='Wshakspear']

Just to note thats only Mono sound. It works perfectly fine that way, im just a stickler for stereo :)[/quote]

haha, well I said if you wanted to with something cheaper, not better. :wink:

Anyways, I would like to say is that this screen kicks ass. Thanks to all the CAGers who showed the deals for the screen and showing me how to hook it up with other systems.

now i wish i'd have at least looked for one of these screens that looks cool as hell, I want one!

BEST SCREEN EVAR!!!!!

GREAT... I picked up a PSOne combo at TRU today (last one), some asshat decided to steal the LCD and controller from the box, they must have used the hairdryer technique on the seal because it's still intact but I can tell it's been tampered with. I'm so mad I can't sleep. Today was pretty much my worst CAG day EVER.

I love this thing!!! Im so tempted to snatch the remaing screens to just mess around with. Also they are such a great value. I got it for 25. If i find it cheaper for sure I ll get the lot of them

i have an old intec one that i bought for 100 when psone first came out. It has the 3 female imput red rellow and white thingies already on it.

[quote name='m_d_amore']I love this thing!!! Im so tempted to snatch the remaing screens to just mess around with. Also they are such a great value. I got it for 25. If i find it cheaper for sure I ll get the lot of them[/quote]

PC case mod = http://bit-tech.net/article/136/

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='m_d_amore']I love this thing!!! Im so tempted to snatch the remaing screens to just mess around with. Also they are such a great value. I got it for 25. If i find it cheaper for sure I ll get the lot of them[/quote]

PC case mod = http://bit-tech.net/article/136/[/quote]

That is one of the reasons I want one. To try that PC mod.

OK, so what's the difference between mono and stereo? Which one should I get? Where's the cheapest place to get the one I should get?

Thanks :) It killed photobuckets bandwith limit...but ill fix that soon.

And xbox master.. Mono is one speaker, stereo is two speakers. Stero will have things going from left to right, while mono will just be there. Its like GBA (mono speaker) vs DS (stero speakers).

If that was the DUH answer, the other answer is "Quality". I prefer stero sound on everything, and this fits the bill. The parts will be found cheapest at Radioshack. The $15 piece i have listed nomally goes for $25-40 with any other brand/store

[quote name='Wshakspear']Thanks :) It killed photobuckets bandwith limit...but ill fix that soon.

And xbox master.. Mono is one speaker, stereo is two speakers. Stero will have things going from left to right, while mono will just be there. Its like GBA (mono speaker) vs DS (stero speakers).

If that was the DUH answer, the other answer is "Quality". I prefer stero sound on everything, and this fits the bill. The parts will be found cheapest at Radioshack. The $15 piece i have listed nomally goes for $25-40 with any other brand/store[/quote]

Damn, $15? I might have to sell some things on CAG...

[quote name='MrFriday18']the mono method did not work for me[/quote]

if the adapter bits are color coded, switch the plugs around a bit to see if the video works in a different hole.

No, you don't need the PS1 for this to work. You can just use the cables.

And for the mono method, don't follow the colors. Use the red audio in the white spot, and the yellow video in the red spot.

[quote name='XboxMaster']So is $15 the cheapest anyone's found on these stereo adapters?[/quote]I found one on ebay for ~$8 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20333&item=3866036480&tc=photo

regarding the mono method:

if I hook it up with just this piece:

274-883.jpg

will I get mono as in one audio channel on just the left speaker or is it one audio channel distributed over both speakers?

if I also buy the second part:

42-2536.jpg

will I get true stereo?

thanks.

In the picture, is that the power cord that you get when you buy a PS1? Is there a separate power cord that you get when you buy the LCD screen?

bread's done
Back