Bomberman ULTRA - Gen Discussion & Info - 7 player offline multiplayer

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Thanks to MarkMan at CAG for posting the thread at GAF.

Join Mr. Destructoid and a new cast of characters in Hudson Entertainment’s Award-Winning 8-Person Online Multiplayer Battle game for PLAYSTATION®3 Computer Entertainment System Gamers this Winter

REDWOOD CITY, CA – October 1, 2008 - Hudson Entertainment, the North American publishing arm for Hudson Soft, today announced that they are releasing Bomberman Ultra, an all-new Bomberman for digital download on the PLAYSTATION®Network this winter. Retaining classic gameplay elements combined with 8-person online multiplayer, full character customization and gorgeous high-definition graphics, Bomberman Ultra is slated to launch worldwide this winter.

“We’re happy to be working with Hudson Entertainment again in Bomberman Ultra”, said Niero, founder of Destructoid. “Actually, that’s not on the press release. I was just chatting with our editors. We’re all giddy. For a bunch of regular joes who run a video game site this is fricking awesome stuff. Oh, and congratulations pedrovay2003 – you nailed it and won a free copy of the game. Smart fella, that guy!”

Fans of the popular series will be able to compete with the best Bomberman players worldwide, as Bomberman Ultra delivers frantic 8-player multiplayer battles online in 14 exotic arenas, as well as 4-player local multiplayer. Players can customize their own Bomberman characters with more than 50 character costumes, resulting in more than 150,000 possible combinations!

“The Bomberman series is one of the most popular brands in the history of Hudson Entertainment,” said Sabine Duvall, Vice President of Product Development at Hudson Entertainment. “Bringing Bomberman Ultra to the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system is a natural progression for the series and signifies our faith that the brand is beloved by gamers across all platforms.”

Bomberman Ultra delivers frantic, explosive action, motivating players to remain competitive and fight to prove that they are the best Bomberman player in the world. Utilizing the leaderboards, players can track their ranking to see just how they good they really are, and what they need in order to bomb their way to the top of the chart!

About Bomberman
Originally launched in the US in 1987, the game captured gamers’ hearts with its simple yet challenging gameplay. With over 60 iterations on nearly all major consoles since then, and over 10 million units sold, winning accolades as the best multiplayer game of all time, this classic game has stood the test of time. Along the way, it also pioneered the “party game” genre, encouraging groups of 4 or more friends to duke it out in one room, and was the first series to contribute to Hudson’s reputation as the number one party game company.

About Destructoid

Bah, you know us. We're just happy to be here. Dtoiders - thanks for all the support, we love you! Oh, by the way we're planning an NARP (No Reason At All Party - Ron came up with that) this November in Miami. More news on that next week. If you're in the area join us, won't ya? Special thanks to Amar, Mike, Dai, the Johns, and the rest of you wonderful people at Hudson. This is just too cool for words.

About Hudson Entertainment, Inc.
Hudson Entertainment is the North American publishing arm of Hudson Soft, an international provider of games and entertainment content founded in 1973. Hudson Entertainment focuses on four key businesses: console games, digital download content, mobile games, and music. Hudson introduced best-selling videogame franchises including Bomberman, Bonk, and Super Adventure Island. Hudson's mobile division is a leading supplier of games and personalized content. Through numerous partnerships with record labels, Hudson has become a leading provider of hip-hop ring tones and mobile content. For more information on Hudson Entertainment, please visit www.hudsonent.com.

Hudson Entertainment, Hudson Soft, and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hudson Soft. “Bomberman” is a registered trademark of Hudson Soft. "PLAYSTATION" and the "PS" Family Logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Online access requires broadband Internet service and a wireless access point or LAN. Certain limitations apply to Wi-Fi connectivity. User is responsible for Internet service fees.
http://www.destructoid.com/come-back-at-12-00-am-for-a-special-announcement--105762.phtml

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG.

This news has me so happy. Everyone should know that Bomberman Live is by far my favorite downloadable game on 360. I absolutely LOVED Bomberman multi-player on GC and tons of other platforms. I really love Bomberman multi-player, and I've been dying for this to come to PSN. I am so happy right now, I'm going insane. :D

Although this MIGHT just be a port mostly; however, I'm thinking it may be slightly different because every single Bomberman multi-player game which has come out, has been slightly different (I never once saw Hudson just port).

You all better bet we ARE having CAG nights for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many gamesharing groups will have this game. You can guarantee a good portion of the CAG PS3 community will have this game.

You better bet I'll be creating the CAG Game Nights for this.

Bomberman To Debut On The PlayStation Network With Bomberman Ultra
Hudson's Award-Winning Series Returns With 8-Person Online Multiplayer Battles

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND, BOMBERMAN TO DEBUT ON THE PLAYSTATION®NETWORK WITH BOMBERMAN ULTRA

Hudson Entertainment’s Award-Winning Series Returns With 8-Person Online Multiplayer Battles For PLAYSTATION®3 Computer Entertainment System Gamers this Winter

REDWOOD CITY, CA – October 1, 2008 - Hudson Entertainment, the North American publishing arm for Hudson Soft, today announced that they are releasing Bomberman Ultra, an all-new Bomberman for digital download on the PLAYSTATION®Network this winter. Retaining classic gameplay elements combined with 8-person online multiplayer, full character customization and gorgeous high-definition graphics, Bomberman Ultra is slated to launch worldwide this winter.

“The Bomberman series is one of the most popular brands in the history of Hudson Entertainment,” said Sabine Duvall, Vice President of Product Development at Hudson Entertainment. “Bringing Bomberman Ultra to the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system is a natural progression for the series and signifies our faith that the brand is beloved by gamers across all platforms.”

Fans of the popular series will be able to compete with the best Bomberman players worldwide, as Bomberman Ultra delivers frantic 8-player multiplayer battles online in 14 exotic arenas, as well as 4-player local multiplayer. Players can customize their own Bomberman characters with more than 50 character costumes, resulting in more than 150,000 possible combinations!

Bomberman Ultra delivers frantic, explosive action, motivating players to remain competitive and fight to prove that they are the best Bomberman player in the world. Utilizing the leaderboards, players can track their ranking to see just how they good they really are, and what they need in order to bomb their way to the top of the chart!

Picture
http://theablegamer.com/index.php?o...-and-screens&catid=38:playstation-3&Itemid=83

Posted at GAF

[quote name='Chacrana']Sounds boring and unnecessary. Thx, OP.[/QUOTE]Oh be quiet Chac. :p

Bomberman is the greatest multi-player game ever Offline and Online). That's why I'm excited. I really want to play this with all my wonderful PSN friends. :D

I'm pretty excited about this. I have Bomberman DS but not enough friends with DSes to take advantage of it, so most multiplayer is online for me nowadays.

I got Bomberman Live last year. I refused to get Bomberman Blast, and I refuse to get Bomberman Ultra. Sorry Hudson.

I'm in. I love bomberman and I sold my DS one due to people not being around to play with em.

I think we'll be seeing more ports and PSN stuff over XBLA. Sony's cut is less so developers get more money off each sale. It's a slight difference, but enough to get developers interested.

[quote name='Chacrana']Sounds boring and unnecessary. Thx, OP.[/quote]
I'm with you on that. Gah, more of the same Bomberman.

Wasn't Sony charging only about 15-20% while Microsoft was charging as high as 50%? Or was that just for XNA games?

[quote name='zenprime']I'm with you on that. Gah, more of the same Bomberman.[/quote]

I'd be all for it if I didn't have it on Live. Bomberman's a great buy if you don't already have it, but largely unnecessary if you do.

[quote name='kevlar51']I'd be all for it if I didn't have it on Live. Bomberman's a great buy if you don't already have it, but largely unnecessary if you do.[/QUOTE]I have Bomberman Live and I will buy this, strictly because I cannot play online on XBL (none of my XBL friends use to want to play with me), and I can easily find PSN friends to play with.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have Bomberman Live and I will buy this, strictly because I cannot play online on XBL (none of my XBL use to want to play with me), and I can easily find PSN friends to play with.[/quote]

I'm in the opposite boat ... none of my friends have PS3 and they all have Live. Even with friends, Bomberman online is no where near as fun as sitting in the same room with someone.

[quote name='kevlar51']I'm in the opposite boat ... none of my friends have PS3 and they all have Live. Even with friends, Bomberman online is no where near as fun as sitting in the same room with someone.[/QUOTE]I'm the opposite. I no longer have XBL Gold. A bunch of my friends haven't signed on XBL anywhere from 30 days to 180+ days. And I never really grew close to the community.

My PSN buddy list is massive (like 96 and always approaching full, many times I have to remove people) and I have more than enough people to play with. While I had XBL Gold, I use to want to play Bomberman Live, but none of my friends cared about getting on (most I could get online at once was one). I still love playing it online (did on PC also).

Regardless, I'm just too excited about this. :D I have a feeling the DLC will be included, which I never purchased on XBL (I'll buy ALL of it if I have to, on PSN).

The levels in the pictures look very similar to Bomberman Live levels. If they remove the short fuse glitch I'll be happy since thats all people do in the 360 version. To me the Wii version is more fun due different tactics being used.

Here's hoping. :pray:

Mana Knight - If you ever get gold again, I'll play you on live

I guess I should tag this for updates. Also I'm pretty surprised about all the Bomberman hate (or just apathy) in the other thread. Definitely looking forward to this and glad I didn't buy the WiiWare version right away.

I was just reminded of this game. There still isn't a firm release, but Hudson Soft's website still says early 2009:
http://www.hudsonentertainment.com/gamedetail.php?game_id=136&console=1

It looks like the game got an update:
Of course the real fun in Bomberman is the multiplayer! Bring your custom look to the battle arena with full 8 player online multiplayer over PSN and 7 player local multiplayer. A bevy of options are also available to you when setting up your frenzied matches to tailor them the way you’d like. From active gimmicks on the map to other gameplay options, every battle is yours to make your own!
OMG. :D

I loved Bomberman for PSP and will definitively buy this for PSN.
You know It would not surprise me If Sony mixed sackboys in the game .

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/07/nycc-09-bomberman-ultra-hands-on-psn/
Bomberman isn't Bomberman if it isn't done in that classic 2D, top-down style. It's a simple formula that has transcended generations, making hits when staying true to its roots ... and making facepalms when it doesn't. It's with this thought in mind that we're left unsurprised to see what Hudson has decided to do with Bomberman Ultra -- the latest entry into this 26-year old series. Hudson is sticking to tradition with this PlayStation Network title.

Bomberman Ultra is, in a nutshell, a slightly upgraded port of Bomberman Live! which debuted on XBox Live back in 2007. The visuals are virtually identical as this PS3 version retains a crisp and clean look along with some very vibrant colors. Other identical features include the very same power-ups and character customization options found in Live!. Ultra also contains all of Live!'s additional levels from the Bomb-Up Pack DLC, as well as three all-original stages for a total of 17 playable levels.

bomberman.ultra.02.jpg

Not everything is exactly the same though. A major difference between Bomberman Live! and Ultra is that the new title now supports up to seven players for local games. Live! only allowed for up to four; so, perhaps this upgrade makes Ultra a slightly better party game. As for the gameplay itself, matches are generally still those quick skirmishes they've always been in games of the past. The simple single-button control is, needless to say, easy for anyone to pick up.

Like we said, this game sticks to its roots. This means that the game feels nostalgic but does not offer that much of a different experience from past titles (especially if one has played Bomberman Live! before). Though it feels like a very familiar experience in an overall sense, each battle can still be fun and unique. It's the dynamics of the individual battles that keep the game going on. It's a sort of illusion of freshness, as there's always an interesting occurrence to speak of or to remember. Of course, Bomberman is a multiplayer game; playing with human opponents is the definite way to go as their unpredictability will give each battle that extra kick. The AI isn't all too bright most of the time.

PS3 owners currently eyeing this PSN-only title should know that this is the only Bomberman title available for their system. Or, should we say, that it will be available. The game is slated to release sometime later this month of February. It has been an awfully long wait though for those who've been patient for a PSN download version of Bomberman.
I really hope it comes this month. I'll be buying it. :D

Don't let these haters get you down, Mana! I'm in.

I have Bomberman for Wii, and it's fun, but I don't really have anybody to play it with either. None of my friends with Wiis are ever online.

This sounds awesome.

One question though, how does 7 player offline work? Does the PS3 accept 7 different controllers connected at a time?

Because if so, awesome-sauce to Sony for not locking down the PS3 to four controllers arbitrarily.

[quote name='BlueScrote']This sounds awesome.

One question though, how does 7 player offline work? Does the PS3 accept 7 different controllers connected at a time?[/QUOTE]Yes. The PS3 can support up to 7 controllers at once (the max a bluetooth module can accept at once without problems). This has been known for a while.
[quote name='silks']Don't let these haters get you down, Mana! I'm in.

I have Bomberman for Wii, and it's fun, but I don't really have anybody to play it with either. None of my friends with Wiis are ever online.[/QUOTE]
I have Bomberman for Wii also (haven't played it online yet). ;)

I've checked several sites and all say end of Feb which means next week as there is only 1 week left.

Only one site (IGN mind you) said late Feb/early March, so maybe it will slip who knows.

Literally Spring runs from late March to late June but people seem to be making shite up because Sony's Spring Fever has been going on for 3 weeks already.

Oh well, off my radar for a while.

The game is fun but seems prone to lag (based on two games I played). It's very cool that multiple players can play online from one console, though. There should be a trophy for having seven people on one PS3 VS some random other guy. :lol:
I think only four people can go online from one console, though. :cry:

Time to start unlocking all those prize bubbles again.

bread's done
Back