DSi Gen. Discussion & Info

j.elles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
http://gonintendo.com/?p=58476
In case you missed that Opera interview the CEO confirmed some new information. In addition to internal memory, the DS will have more RAM as well.

He also confirmed that the Opera Browser integrated into DSi will use it more efficiently than the current browser.

So those Japanese games that used the GBA ram expansion cart like Band Brothers, etc... will work with the DSi.
ninten02.jpg

- real time imaging software

- built-in software for controlling pitch, speed, audio filters, and more

- record voice through mic, and change playback speed and pitch

- all of these camera/music options are pre-loaded

- play sound in games at louder volume

- Purchase/download WiiWare/VC software/and DSi software directly to SD. Transfer process will become ‘dramatically easier’

- apps will cost free/200/500/800 points.

New bigger screen's. 3.25 inches.
- 12%, 2.6 millimeters lighter, no more GBA slot

- Better speakers. 2 Cameras. 0.3 megapixel internal, 3 megapixel external.

- Camera and audio functions

- Pictures taken should be able to be manipulated via touch screens

- SD card slot

- store then view pics on Wii Photo Channel

- internal memory for apps PDA like functions?

- built-in web browser Pretty cool. Features it will support will determine usefulness though.

- download DSi Ware with Nintendo PointsVirtual console on the go + Game boy games?

- download via the Nintendo DSi Shop.

- owners that connect by March, 2010 will receive 1000 Points as a gift. (Japan) pretty cool.

- Hits Japan on Nov 1st for 18900 yen…2009 release for rest of the world

- DS Station will go into its second phase, becoming the Nintendo Zone service.

- service once again available at McDonalds

- Nintendo Zone Viewer included, no setup needed

- colors: white and frosted black

- Mii on DS in Lifestyle Rhythm Calculator software.

- Pedometer shown.

Games due out around launch: Valk Profile DS, Kirby (most likely SSU), Kyotaro, Rockman (most likely MMSF3), World Food, Phantasy Star Zero, Momotaro Dentetsu

- AAC playback for DSi

- DS browser will be Opera

- Wii storage solution: WiiWare/software download to SD card
-Video showed Mario and Luigi 3 for the DS.
Video Montage of DS games
-New Wario game collection also shown in same montage.
-3d version of Pircoss is in development.
-Video shown of that newly announced Final Fantasy CC sequal. Sequal to the Ring of Fates game. Ability to play game on DS and Wii wirelessly.
-Video for the new Tales game shown I believe. This one is coming over here by the way from what i've heard.
-Video for Infinite Line, the Space opera crazy epic DS game shown

from GoNintendo's front page. Site is getting hit hard though so I decided to put some stuff here.

photo_20081002_050544_0_5834498c442f3a1486d516288ae9c247.jpg

ok some people have apparently looked at some screenshots of Valkerie Profile and are saying this new DSi has a higher resolution. If this is true then all DS games will look better on this new system. Very iffy though. Rumor as of now.

Ok rumor again. Translations issues has caused problems once again.
Some are saying 2 camera's some aren't. One 3 megapixel on the outside, and one .3 megapixel inside for chat and game functions.

Charge time 2.5 hours as opposed to the DS lites 3 hour charge time.
Min Brightness: 9-14 hours opposed to 15-19
Low Brightness: 8-12 opposed to 10-15
Middle Brightness: 6-9 opposed to 7-11
High Brightness:4-6 opposed to 5-8
Max Brightness 3-4
Seems to be a brighter setting then what's even on the DS lite.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
two touch screens + DS Ware makes me happy, plus on board memory makes me really happily hoping for Virtual Console Gameboy games... or even SNES/NES/etc.

They are giving out free Wii points with this. I take it that means no DLC for non-Wii owners?

i wonder how gamestop or any trade in store is gonna handle having a shitload of ds lites and ds phats :lol:

and damn i need a DSi :drool:

edit
nint04.jpg

nint05.jpg

I'll probably upgrade my original DS when this comes out. I've successfully avoided the DS Lite so far, but this might be tough to resist.

Still no analog stick!!! I guess this console isn't a true 3d platform like the DS.

[quote name='laaj']They are giving out free Wii points with this. I take it that means no DLC for non-Wii owners?[/QUOTE]

Has internet browser. Pretty much confirmed you can buy stuff on the DS as long as you have a wireless conection.

I love this. Though I hadn't heard anything about two touch screens from Kotaku, it sounds good. I hope Wii Mii importation will be possible also!

Though I had just bought a metallic silver DS Lite (gave my polar white to my sister), I might just trade that in. Or, in fact, just buy it new since $180 isn't too shabby for a brand new piece of hardware with all of those features!

[quote name='j.elles']
Games due out around launch: Valk Profile DS, Kirby (most likely SSU), Kyotaro, Rockman (most likely MMSF3), World Food, Phantasy Star Zero, Momotaro Dentetsu (RUMOR - Mario and Luigi 3)
[/quote]

Interesting. Does that mean those carts will work on both the DS and DSi? Shade of hybrid GB/GBC cart of the past.

I'm going to find it interesting how many games will actually utilize both screens. In any case, I'm staying put with my DS lite.

[quote name='shinryuu']I'm also surprised they allowed an SD card slot, pretty much making piracy more accessible.[/quote]

Not really since all the DLC will have DRM. Or else one person can purchase the DLC and upload it to the web for all to download.

[quote name='jd302426']Now we won't need to buy an R4 in order to play our pirated games. Thanks Nintendo![/quote]

Yep. Nintendo is that dumb.

This is tempting me to upgrade my old DS to a new one, but I would like a special color one (have an old light blue DS from Japan currently).

The feature with apps is tempting, but it seems to me that I rather have my apps on my phone than on my DSi. I will have to wait to see what they will come up with for it.

I was pretty excited when I heard they'd be announcing a new DS, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by this. It's basically a camera and mp3 player in lieu of a GBA slot. I already own a digital camera, so I don't really care about that on my DS. The fact that it'll work as an mp3 player is nice though I wonder if you'll be able to shut it and listen to your music or if that would put it in sleep mode. Still, I could buy an mp3 player for much less than upgrading my DS. I don't really care about the wifi browser either as the only places I could get Nintendo's wifi would be McDonald's (which I never go to) or home, where I'd rather just use my computer for internet browsing.

The 2 touch screens sounds interesting, but I've also heard that that may have been a translation error and has yet to be confirmed. If it is indeed true, new games will start utilizing it and I'll have no choice but to upgrade.

If the top touch screen thing turns out to be false, then the only thing that'll really interest me is the downloadable titles. I support indie developers trying new things on a portable system. Especially something as feature heavy as the DS. That could prove interesting.

Ultimately, it feels like they're adding in a bunch of non-game related features which feels distinctly unlike Nintendo; the one company that didn't care about adding DVD functionality to their console because they figured everyone already had at least one DVD player by now. If it didn't come at the expense of the GBA slot, it might be a cool "elite" version of the DS, but as is I think I'd prefer my GBA slot over these unnecessary added features.

Now, where can I pre-order this thing? I'll just sell the old ds lite. During holiday season I'm sure DS' will still be in demand so I shouldn't lost much.

I don't like the weird hinges. Power button was better as a "switch" thingy on the side. Ugly cameras... But hell I'll probably end up getting it. I wonder if they'll release it in the States.

[quote name='Kirra']I wonder if they'll release it in the States.[/quote]- Hits Japan on Nov 1st for 18900 yen…2009 release for rest of the world

Anyone want to guess the DSi price here in the States?
Nintendo DS original price in Japan was ¥15,000 when it launched back in 2004, DSi is launching at ¥18,900.

I'm also confused if the DSi is a new platform since it has two touch screens and called a "third platform" or is it just another DS Lite?

I'm highly interested. By the time this releases in the states, I should have a little more surplus money than I do these days. At this point, I'll absolutely buy. Maybe even import.

The video montage was a good way to see all the new games coming out. I saw a new Professor Layton, Mario and Luigi, and an assortment of RPGs (it was hard to distinguish which game is what).

The new Phoenix Wright game seems to be the Edgeworth spin-off. I remember seeing a thread about it here somewhere...

Overall, I'm quite excited for the new games and the DSi.

I was hoping it would be a new DS altogether because I'm not sure if I can stomach another 3D DS game much longer in this age...

I'm going to hold off on this until I see what the DSware is, as usual the press conference left me confused. Will I have to get a DSi to play certain games or will I be able to play them on my wii or dslite?

How's the battery life? That's pretty important to me in portable gaming.

No gba slot? Well now I don't feel too bad for having a dslite right now...

I'm not at all sold yet, but we'll see. :)

Well, at least this is better than anything they announced at E3. I expect the DSi to become a house of piracy much like the PSP. Color me surprised Nintendo integrated a memory card system.

The 0.3 megapixel camera is laughably poor. However, they probably don't intend it to be used for more than its gimmick (games with camera functions).

Oh Nintendo and their love of new models. I'm waiting for the Nintendo DS Pocket Micro Crystal.

[quote name='Chase']Well, at least this is better than anything they announced at E3. I expect the DSi to become a house of piracy much like the PSP.[/QUOTE]

The DS is the easiest system to pirate games for, so I'm not sure how this will make it any easier than it is now.

[quote name='opportunity777']The DS is the easiest system to pirate games for, so I'm not sure how this will make it any easier than it is now.[/quote]

Touché, sir.

updated the main post again. In addition to the resolution rumor, there's one about 2 camera's now. One external one internal. 3, and .3 megapixel respectively.

It looks like two cameras. The low resolution one with video capability faces the player for a webcam/videophone app and in games. The camera on the lid is higher res and more suitable for taking decent pictures.

The GBA slot is dead but so what? Speaking as someone who owns a few hundred GBC/GBA games, that platform's day has long passed. The market is driven by new software and it has been a very, very long time since any new title of note has appeared on GBA or any new title at all. It's dead, time to let it go. Frankly, if I feel any great need to keep playing my GBA library away from home, I'll enlist some mass storage device usable through the DSi's slots. Such will doubtlessly appear very quickly. Nintendo won't like it but so long as I limit my use to games I properly own I won't feel any guilt, as I would with straight out piracy. I've managed to restrain myself in how I use the R4 device to just my legit DS library.

For those who don't already have GBC/GBA libraries, the downloads from Nintendo will be more effective since a pretty good number will fit on a single $10 2GB SD card. In fact, considering how small the typical GBA title is, a single SD card might hold all of the games any one person cares to have. It's possible Nintendo will follow the Wii pattern in only allowing downloads to the built-in storage but they've admitted their intent to this problem for Wii owners. I doubt they aren't considering the limitation to download sales if they don't support additional storage.

The gaming platform isn't greatly changed from the DS but that isn't why this model is being introduced. I believe Nintendo is concerned about growing competition from the mobile phone realm and multi-function devices like the iPod Touch. The camera and music playback features appeared directly aimed at meeting the challenge from Apple, Google, Nokia, etc. (Perhaps Nintendo will follow Sony in offering Skype.)

Nintendo is looking at a Spring 2009 launch for Europe:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=249521

And it is confirmed that this will have ONE touch screen:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=249526

I believe that Gemaga said that the DSi will be playable on the show floor, and I imagine that they'd have it available at the US show tomorrow, so we should hear some hands-on impressions soon.

EDIT: GameKyo has some close-up pictures of it from the event floor:
http://www.gamekyo.com/newsen29161_nintendo-announces-the-nintendo-dsi.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the real question is how much better will DSi exclusive games be over DS ones. I don't see many developers using it (other than Nintendo) if differences are negligible.

edit>Well Nintendo can force the developers to use DSi features as part of the license to make game for Nintendo consoles.

[quote name='SuxoR']Wow good thing I never got a DS lite :]

Sadly my GF just got a DS lite she will be pissed haha[/QUOTE]

Well, it's still a while off. And the 2 touch-screen thing never made sense to me as it would fracture the market for DS games. I suppose camera functionality may do that as well but that is something that can be optional for most games so as not to leave all the regular DS owners out completely.

I still have 2 DS's I never opened (a Zelda one and a clearanced Nintendogs one). I suppose I'll just dump those on eBay this Christmas and get one of these new-fangled gizmos (in Spring 2009?). I'll always be keeping one of each of the older ones no matter what though. The younger kids still bang away on that sturdy phat DS, and maybe I can give my daughter my Onyx one.

I am actually glad I don't want something new and shiny finally.

I've got a digital camera and an MP3 player so I don't need that function. I still play some GBA games. Really the only thing I'm wondering is will this DSi store have old GB games like the Virtual Console. If so than I might be a little jealous.

Hmmm, let's run this down:

1. Battery life is worse.

2. Slightly bigger screens.

3. Crappy low-res camera.

4. SD card slot for downloads.

5. No GBA slot.

6. Shitty audio capabilities.

I just got a DS Lite using cashback for less than $85 brand new. I do not regret that decision.

[quote name='opportunity777']The DS is the easiest system to pirate games for, so I'm not sure how this will make it any easier than it is now.[/QUOTE]
The SD card slot could make it easier, as in no need for an R4, M3, whatever. It could theoretically be an easier way in. When I saw the SD slot my first thoughts were that its going to be hacked to hell and back. Look at all the stuff possible on Wii due to SD "homebrew".

I'm still using a Phat because I'm anal and didn't like that the GBA carts stick out on the Lite. But the new one removes the GBA slot all together? Until I can find a cheap Back-Lit GBA, I'm passing on the DSi.

i'm thinking... u know that metal gear solid game for cell phones where u take pictures of things and it'll be used as a texture for snake's suit? if they port that game over to the DSi, then i'm sold.

[quote name='PR Mega X']I'm still using a Phat because I'm anal and didn't like that the GBA carts stick out on the Lite. [/QUOTE] That isn't anal, that is obsessive-compulsive behavior.

The DSi sounds great and I'm DEFINITELY going to buy one, BUT there is one thing I'm confused about.

Are the downloadable games ONLY going to be DS-specific games? (like WiiWare games)
OR, will we be able to download/transfer Virtual Console games over too??

If Virtual Console games ARE available on the DSi, I'm going to wait for the US launch as I have tons of VC games on my US Wii, but none on my Japanese Wii.

Also, my friend asked me a very troubling question earlier...

What if your DSi is stolen/lost?? Are you just SOL and have to re-buy any downloaded games or will there be some registration system in place? (like linking a DSi to a Wii for example)

bread's done
Back