NBA Live 09 or NBA 2k9: What's the CAG consensus?

ivanctorres

CAGiversary!
NBA LIVE and 2K9 are dropping soon and I'd like to join a league on CAG if one is setup as I have had fun in the Show League, and the various Madden Leagues that are sputtering along so I want to make sure I get the right game so I can join any potential leagues.

I am gonna definitely pick one of them up along with Dead Space and Socom during the TRU B2G1 free. Which one should I get and which one are CAGs getting?

I'm leaning towards Live because I have always been a live guy and I am intrigued by the new Live 365 feature. Thoughts anyone?

Uh everyone knows 2K has a feature that's pretty much the exact same as Live 365, right? 2K will have daily updates also. 2K is always the superior game and the improvements made to the Association (franchise) mode and presentation will show who's still the king of videogame basketball.

You mother truckers are crazy as hell if you are going to get live.

But its a different type of game. If you just want to play a basketball game then get live but if you are into basketball simulations than there is nothing else but 2k.

And thats what it comes down to....live hasnt come close to being a sim in about 5 years and a lot of people like that sort of thing. They like that NBA jam sorta game play but other like me and man would rather play a hard core sim.

But if you are looking for the best NBA simluation then 2k is your bet. If you dont care and just want to have fun the the more arcadey live is your best bet. Hell you dont even have to time your jump shots in live........just press the button and it automaticlly makes it for you.

Also, not to spread rumors but I heard that the Thunder are not in NBA Live 09 but just a generic team and you have to download a patch or something to get the real jerseys and stuff.

That right there is a deal breaker for me.

were there any leagues last year? If 2k is the better game than I will probably buy that. I just haven't kept up with the series'. I haven't bought a bbal game since last gen.

yea ill get wat ever game we'll have more people to make a league we should take a vote.
Lives demo i thought was better

Is 2K9 really not a game anymore, but a simulation? I keep seeing 2K fans saying that like there's no questioning it, but the demos confuse me about that claim. 2K9's players move like their skating when using the boost button, as I twirl them around and around with ease like they have no weight at all to their movements, which is quite different in Live 09. I don't know about the shot stick 2K9 has either, as my first four shots with Kobe were perfect if I just pulled the stick down, like it was a glorified win button. Otherwise, both games look really good this year, for the first time in a long time.

At least 2K9 looks like a next-gen game this year, as it looked like absolute garbage compared to Live like year. It's strange that it seems like all 2K fans can not even acknowledge that Live could even be a remotely good game this year while claiming 2K's not a game, but a perfect simulation that can never be topped. You can't be a real basketball fan if you're not down with NBA 2K, but just a pretender. Seems like the old Madden vs. NFL 2K days all over again.

yea in the demos i tht live was better from the graphics to game play in 2k9 it was so easy to score just about every time.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Also, not to spread rumors but I heard that the Thunder are not in NBA Live 09 but just a generic team and you have to download a patch or something to get the real jerseys and stuff.

That right there is a deal breaker for me.[/quote]

This is correct. That patch was on the PSN Thursday, along with the $20 "patch" that allows you access to Live 365 (ie continuously updating rosters/ratings) if you bought the game used.

http://kotaku.com/5053181/nba-2k9-introduces-living-rosters

Is this what you're refering to, Hitman? It seems like a half-assed attempt for 2K Sports to say "Me, too!" after EA announced Live 365 because they don't seem to promise daily updates or anything more than just their standard roster updates with the addition of new animations. It just has a fancy name, Living Rosters, that makes it seem like they've got the same thing.

Well I think it's pretty much the same thing, and I hate EA and have loved 2K basketball, so I'm not objective on this.

We'll see what some reviews say I guess but I'll be getting 2K probably during the TRU sale.

I haven't tried out the 2k9 demo yet, but I thought the Live demo was incredibly fun. I've always heard people talk about the Live series being such garbage, but I thought it was pretty good.

Then again, I preferred NBA Street Homecourt over 2k8, so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you're looking for a "sim" game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is 2K9 really not a game anymore, but a simulation? I keep seeing 2K fans saying that like there's no questioning it, but the demos confuse me about that claim. 2K9's players move like their skating when using the boost button, as I twirl them around and around with ease like they have no weight at all to their movements, which is quite different in Live 09. I don't know about the shot stick 2K9 has either, as my first four shots with Kobe were perfect if I just pulled the stick down, like it was a glorified win button. Otherwise, both games look really good this year, for the first time in a long time.

At least 2K9 looks like a next-gen game this year, as it looked like absolute garbage compared to Live like year. It's strange that it seems like all 2K fans can not even acknowledge that Live could even be a remotely good game this year while claiming 2K's not a game, but a perfect simulation that can never be topped. You can't be a real basketball fan if you're not down with NBA 2K, but just a pretender. Seems like the old Madden vs. NFL 2K days all over again.[/quote]

I downloaded both demos and the 2K demo was better IMO. Granted, I was never and NBA player, but I played competive basketball for a large portion of my life and 2K is vastly superior to Live in representing basketball.

Live has never had great control even in the Genesis days. The skating you refer to in 2K9, I didn't see it, but I saw it in Live. The physics in Live just aren't as good and the controls aren't as tight as 2K9. Post game, defense, off-ball movement, it's all better in 2K.

In regards to Madden, Madden was always a better game than 2K in regards to football. I don't owe allegiance to EA or 2K. I call them like I see them.

Live is better than years past, the demo was good, but it has a way to go to compete with 2K. There is a reason the NBA didn't just hand over the NBA license to EA unchallenged.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I downloaded both demos and the 2K demo was better IMO. Granted, I was never and NBA player, but I played competive basketball for a large portion of my life and 2K is vastly superior to Live in representing basketball.

Live has never had great control even in the Genesis days. The skating you refer to in 2K9, I didn't see it, but I saw it in Live. The physics in Live just aren't as good and the controls aren't as tight as 2K9. Post game, defense, off-ball movement, it's all better in 2K.

In regards to Madden, Madden was always a better game than 2K in regards to football. I don't owe allegiance to EA or 2K. I call them like I see them.

Live is better than years past, the demo was good, but it has a way to go to compete with 2K. There is a reason the NBA didn't just hand over the NBA license to EA unchallenged.[/quote]
Just hold down the right trigger and enjoy the greatest show on hardwood, which would make the Ice Capades jealous. Didn't happen in Live doing the same thing for me.

The physics and animations seemed better in Live to me, though NBA 2K9's much improved over last year's game. I downloaded the 2K8 demo to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but yeah, last year's game was awful compared to the amount of work they've put into the game's visuals for this year. Ray Allen looks awful in 2K9 though, like he's bloated. :lol:

I don't know about Live's controls not being all that good either, as the ease of calling for a pick and roll, post-up, and some other things that make for more intuitive control scheme to me. Both feel about the same to me, maybe with a little of an edge to Live in some areas.

[quote name='sstyler24']wow is that at all toys r us's[/quote]

All in the US, yes.

On topic, sorry Tanuki you're talking to someone who's owned each 2K basektball game since 2K2 so they would have to pull a 2K baseball for me to doubt them.

so it sounds like 2k would be the way to go so far we should have a vote. And we should find out now how much interest we will have 4 a league

Geez. After all this discussion I'm going to go download the 2k Demo. I was still really impressed with the Live 09 demo, so I'll see if 2k is really all that much better.

[quote name='xcoax']Geez. After all this discussion I'm going to go download the 2k Demo. I was still really impressed with the Live 09 demo, so I'll see if 2k is really all that much better.[/quote]

Please tell us what you think about the two games after you try 2k9. I'm going to go with NBA 2k9.

I'm tempted to buy 2K, but I don't know. 2K7 was one of the best basketball games I have ever played. 2K8, however, was horrible. It looked the same as 2K7 and had similar features, but the gameplay was broken and just plain not fun. It was the first 2K basketball game I didn't like. That, and Live's looking superior this year.

If Live turns out to be better than 2K9, then it's safe to say EA's really passed 2K as the best sports game developer, and this is coming from a huge 2K devotee.

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm tempted to buy 2K, but I don't know. 2K7 was one of the best basketball games I have ever played. 2K8, however, was horrible. It looked the same as 2K7 and had similar features, but the gameplay was broken and just plain not fun. It was the first 2K basketball game I didn't like. That, and Live's looking superior this year.

If Live turns out to be better than 2K9, then it's safe to say EA's really passed 2K as the best sports game developer, and this is coming from a huge 2K devotee.[/quote]

I'm about 90% sure that I'll be picking up 2k9 but it won't be on day 1 for me. I'm going to wait about a week or two and see what others think about both games. Then I'll make my final decision after that.

I didn't really have much fun with the Live demo but I think it's just going to take some getting used to as far as the controls go. I've always liked the 2k series and that's probably what I'm going to go with. I've played all the 2k games since 2k5 and have enjoyed them all so I can't see this year being any different especially after playing the 2k demo.

I downloaded the 2K demo but haven't played it yet. I will tonight. I liked the Live demo, though, and the Live 365 thing sounds cool. The 2K version of it won't be updated enarly as often (AKA every day).

I'm still not sure if I'll get either one in time for a league. If I get either, it'll be during the TRU sale, but I also want Saints Row 2, along with games I could exchange purchased titles for in a week or 2 like Fable II, GH: World Tour, and Fallout 3. That's not to mention games like Tales of Vesperia, Lego Batman, and Force Unleashed which are already out.

They're both are going to be solid games. Live, who hasn't have a decent game in their series since 2005, is finally back. The 365 feature looks really interesting, and so does Living Rosters to a lower extent. In the end, they're both essentially roster updates. 2K has always had tendencies, team and player, and though it's not updated daily, both games have the option.

In the end, I'm probably going to pick up 2K9 since I love the gameplay. I'm just not accustomed to Live anymore, even if it's reaching to the same level as Live. Not to mention, the presentation looks awesome in 2K9 this year. The announcers might need a change, but everything else looks great.

I usually tend to pass on Live and pick up 2k each year. Just got finished playing the Live demo and I have to say that I am a least a little impressed. It has been a number of years since I actually enjoyed playing a Live game.

They made a huge step in the right direction this year it seems. I might actually pick it up instead of 2k this year if for nothing but a change of pace since they both seems to be doing well this year.

I am a long time 2K fan and this year I am going to go with Live, I like 2k9 as well but the whole DNA thing is just too damn cool to pass up.

how about nba the show 09? :)
you guys forget theres a third player in the running.. story mode looks cool as shit..

anyways.. as usualy 2k should dominate. I didnt pick up a bball game last year so cant wait.. i usually like playing both bball games.

[quote name='guyver2077']how about nba the show 09? :)
you guys forget theres a third player in the running.. story mode looks cool as shit..

anyways.. as usualy 2k should dominate. I didnt pick up a bball game last year so cant wait.. i usually like playing both bball games.[/quote]

Too bad the third option is only on Sorny.

I haven t bought a bball game since possibly NBA live 05 with carmelo on the cover. I am leaning towarda live because I like it's psuedo arcade style but who knows what other cags will do and If we will even have enough people for our league.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Please tell us what you think about the two games after you try 2k9. I'm going to go with NBA 2k9.[/QUOTE]

I went in thinking I'm definitely getting Live, but I'm not too sure anymore. In a strange twist, I liked the graphics on 2k9 a bit more than live, although Live seemed to have better animations.

The gameplay in the 2k9 demo seemed like controlled chaos to me, whereas I was confident in calling out plays and running them in the Live demo. Shooting in the 2k9 demo seemed like it was either a guaranteed in or out every time. Ray Allen was like a three point machine, but then Rondo couldn't even hit a layup. That, and several times when I'd get a steal and make for a fast break I'd hit the shot button to go for a layup and stop dead in my tracks and pump fake. Kind of annoying.

Overall, I'm still favoring Live for me, but I don't think you could really go wrong with either game this year. Either way, I'm not getting either until the TRU sale, so I'll be sitting back and hearing the early purchasers make their reviews before I decide on a final choice.

I have played both demos and I have to say I think I like Live better right now. I don't know where people get the whole "2K9 feels like a sim" thing, to me Live 09 plays much more realistic than 2K9. I haven't played an NBA game since the '05 season so this is all from a fresh perspective. I also think Live may have a more robust feature set but I don't know everything about each game. I really like Live's controls, the way you call plays is awesome, way better than any basketball game I have ever played. I am going to wait for some reviews and user feedback before I make my final decision but right now I am leaning toward Live.

[quote name='guyver2077']how about nba the show 09? :)

anyways.. as usualy 2k should dominate. I didnt pick up a bball game last year so cant wait.. i usually like playing both bball games.[/QUOTE]

Thisis the 360 forum. Some of us, sadly, do not have PS3s. :(

That being said, I played the 2K9 demo and found it vastly superior to the Live demo. I am concerned, however, since I enjoyed the demo for 2K8 as well and hated the final game so much that I sold it on CAG for $30, 3 weeks after purchasing it.

Nonetheless, it was a LOT of fun and I'm really tempted to buy the game. The only problem with 2K9 is that they need to bring back the free throw shooting system where you hold down the trigegrs to try to line up the arrows. ... Just kidding.

I guess I can wait on the new Guitar Hero since I have Rock Band 2...

[quote name='Matt Young']Thisis the 360 forum. Some of us, sadly, do not have PS3s. :(

[/quote]

True. Didnt even notice we were in the 360 section. That being said though I would probably get 2k9 anyways on the 360. The demo felt like it was running smoother to me on 360 anyways. as usual :)

I like both demos, but I'll probably pick up 2k9. I'm going to sign up for a rental pass at BB and rent both games first, since the demos don't really let me know which one has the best franchise mode, which is the most important part for a basketball game.

i still havent decided yet. its so hard this year. i got live for 05 and 06 and when they put in the freestyle allstars in 06 that was it for me, i hated that feature. so i went with 2k7 and 2k8 but this year i dont know anymore. nba live gets a bad wrap for being "arcadey" but from the demo i find it to be very similar to 2k9s gameplay. im gonna have to play the demos more tonight but right now im leaning towards buying live tomorrow afternoon.

i think both games have authentic 5 on 5 online now so thats something im looking foward to that hasnt really been brought up yet. hopefully we can play all star games online or at least with the all star teams

also lives 365 updating everyday and rewind should be great too.

fiba also adds some interest

Live has the online Be a Pro club feature like NHL 09, right?

It's disappointing that you can't actually create yourself in Be A Pro like you do in NHL 09, but you must take over for another real player instead.

i at this point am leaning towards live now i tht the demo was better n it sounds like we would have more people 4 a league

I'm picking up 2k9 at midnight. No question about it.

I do plan on renting Live after a couple weeks though, I'm a huge nba fan so If I end up liking that as well I'll pick that one up as well.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Also, not to spread rumors but I heard that the Thunder are not in NBA Live 09 but just a generic team and you have to download a patch or something to get the real jerseys and stuff.

That right there is a deal breaker for me.[/quote]

Good, F OKC and Clay Bennett!

bread's done
Back