XBLA - Portal: Still Alive - 1200pts - 10/22

Kevlar281

CAGiversary!

Features

Portal™: Still Alive features the full award-winning Portal single player game from Valve, plus a new challenge mode. Designed to change the way you approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in any given environment, Portal has earned over 70 industry honors for its innovative gameplay, with more than 30 "Game of the Year" awards.
Break the laws of physics using "portal" technology to solve puzzles and survive in this darkly comic story weaving adventure with brain-bending puzzles.

• Innovative gameplay: Experience the first first-person puzzle-action-adventure game with hours of single player gaming.
  • Extras: The game includes fourteen brand new bonus puzzles to challenge even the most skilled test subjects. And, get a glimpse into the making of Portal: Still Alive with commentary from the deveopers.
Achievements
1. Go for the Gold - Win a gold metal on a challenge map.
2. Out of the Blue - Once you have control of both portals, only enter the orange portal.
3. Rat's Tale - Find all the Rat Man dens.
4. Is Anyone There? - Complete the game without ever taking a bullet.
5. Saw That One Coming - Cause a rocket sentry to destroy its own rocket when the rocket has been redirected back towards it.
6. The Camera Adds 10 Pounds - Knock a turret over with a security camera.
7. Like a Rat - Trap yourself in a test chamber so that GLaDOS has to help you continue.
8. A Feeling Like Floating - Dissolve a turret.
9. Tests Like Chicken - Find the chicken's test results.
10. Cupcake - Beat 5 advanced chambers
11. Fruitcake - Beat 10 advanced chambers
12. Vanilla Crazy Cake - Beat all advanced chambers

I don’t like to start game threads since I’m not OCD about updating my initial posts with new info. But since there doesn’t seem to be a thread dedicated to Portal: Still Alive I decided to start one up.

The achievements are up; hopefully that means it will hit XBLA marketplace within the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is the original plus x amount of "advanced" chambers, right? Anyone know what x would equal? Any suggestion of DLC? Are there other features that would make it more justifiable for me to effectively re-purchase the same game I got with The Orange Box about one year later?

[quote name='Kevlar281']I don’t like to start game threads since I’m not OCD about updating my initial posts with new info. But since there doesn’t seem to be a thread dedicated to Portal 2 I decided to start one up. [/spoiler][/QUOTE]This isn't Portal 2, it's Portal (1) released standalone with some extra levels ported over that are available on the PC for free.

(Not trying to sound like a dick, just don't want people getting their hopes up or buying the game thinking it's a sequel.)

That's ok Kevlar! :D I would have probably done the same ;) !

I will have to wait to see if the extra's are worth it on this one. I have it on the OB and it would be kind of silly to pay for the same game twice ... but if there was extra download content/several extra levels, and the pts were right I might.

Does anyone know, or are there rumors on, the amount of pts this will be?

I wonder if the extra content may be purchasable separately and cheaper than the full release for those with Orange Box?

[quote name='Shan82']That's ok Kevlar! :D I would have probably done the same ;) !

I will have to wait to see if the extra's are worth it on this one. I have it on the OB and it would be kind of silly to pay for the same game twice ... but if there was extra download content/several extra levels, and the pts were right I might.

Does anyone know, or are there rumors on, the amount of pts this will be?[/quote]

I forsee 1200 pts, if they are greedy, they'll try to get away with 1600.

1600 points will = no sale for me...20 bucks is not worth the extra levels considering i have TOB, and the extra levels don't flesh out the story anymore.

[quote name='jollydwarf']So this is the original plus x amount of "advanced" chambers, right? Anyone know what x would equal? Any suggestion of DLC? Are there other features that would make it more justifiable for me to effectively re-purchase the same game I got with The Orange Box about one year later?[/quote]

yes there are I think 14 still alive chambers, plus all the originals. no new features just a few more chambers.

Thanks. That being the case, I really can't see paying more than 800 SpaceBucks for this thing, then. For those that haven't played the original, I'd say twice that amount is worth it.

I really hope we see the true sequel and Episode III by this time next year, give or take a month.

Considering I will be repurchasing Orange Box soon, I probably will be passing on this. Even though I would like the extra levels, I can't justify more than 10, and even then, I would have to think about it pretty hard.

[quote name='glockant']how convenient, they left out the price. I smell a 1200+ point game.[/quote]

Considering on store shelves Portal is $20, I'd suspect this one is 1600 points. Either way, it's a no way buy for me. I had enough Portal already.

I don't really get who this game is for. Anyone who bought The Orange Box is most likely not picking it up, I know I'm not. And people who haven't played Portal should just go whole hog and buy The Orange Box.

I think it fits XBLA fine. Not everyone with a 360 wants to play an introverted, crowbar-wielding MIT graduate, so if they can shave off $15 to get something that doesn't involve killing but is humourous and fun, they will go for it.

I don't want to know those people then.

Half-Life 2 is easily the best FPS I've ever played, and Team Fortress has good humor and fun.

Same here.

I was having enough trouble during Portal on the Orange Box, if they make it harder my head might explode.

Half-Life 2 is easily the best FPS I've ever played, and Team Fortress has good humor and fun.

Trust me, for the Call of Halo crowd (which is not everyone who plays mainstream console FPSes), the Half-Life series is far too heady for their tastes...and in a lot of cases, mental capacities. They probably didn't see any camo fatigues or space marines (with or without visage-concealing helmet) and just couldn't see the point.

Team Fortress is probably too 'kiddy' in appearance for roughly two-thirds of the console online 'community'.

So I sound elitist and extremely judgmental there. So fuckin' what? I'm right.

Jollydwarf has a point.

My reply was more about the casual players that just gobble up XBLA games. But, having looked at the Xbox forums when TOB came out (forgive me), even the Call of Halo Shootan kids didn't give a rat's ass about HL2 or TF2, for precisely the reasons given above.

Other than the TF2 lag problem, a lot of people bitched about HL2's "complex" story and the lack of a serious tone with TF2.

I really loved Portal, but can't justify buying it twice. Maybe when it hits the XBL Arcade Hits and drops in price, and I've gone and forgotten all about it, I'll check it out. Thanks for the info OP!

[quote name='yukine']I don't really get who this game is for. Anyone who bought The Orange Box is most likely not picking it up, I know I'm not. And people who haven't played Portal should just go whole hog and buy The Orange Box.[/quote]

I agree with this... although I'm so tempted to buy it anyway. I never finished all the Portal achievements in The Orange Box - some seemed impossible so I don't think I'll have any more luck... especially finishing the game without getting shot.

No purchase for me. I was so excited when this was first announced, then very quickly became so disappointed when I heard it wasn't a new game.

Definitely going to pick this up Wednesday, as I never bought The Orange Box... I was going to, but it was 70% because I wanted to play Portal, and with my stock of free MS points, it's worth it to me. Besides, I played Half-Life 2 on the original Xbox, and don't mind waiting a little longer to buy the whole Orange Box.

Ugh. I was intrigued by this when it was announced, but like others have said, the lack of increased story has soured me a bit. I only did the storyline of Portal on a rental so I'm not even sure I want the extra challenge levels. Now on top of everything, Blockbuster Video has dropped the price of The Orange Box used to $19.99. That makes $15 for Portal: Still Alive *way* too overpriced for me, even considering that I have a fuck-ton of points laying around.

Guess I'll be buying BloodSugarSexMagic on Rock Band after all :)

Count me in the camp of 'I love Portal, but not enough to spend 15 bucks on an almost identical version that I already own'.

Even if you have ZERO interest in the the Half Life series (are you insane?) and Team Fortress 2 (kill yourself), you're still better off paying a little more and getting The Orange Box. For one, you'll hopefully wake up and realize you're making a mistake on not wanting to play the HL games and TF2. Two, you'll have Portal on disc. Three, if you get bored of the whole thing, you can still sell it or trade it.

I was thinking about getting it since I haven't really played TF2 much and was thinking of selling the orange box, but for 1200 points I don't think so. I'd rather just hold on to the orange box.

[quote name='benjamouth']1200 points, ouch.

At 800 it was doubtful, at 1200 it's a definite NO WAI ![/quote]

This.

I thoroughly enjoyed Portal, but 15 bucks is too much for additional content.

I ditched the orange box, but I didn't like portal enough to pay for it again with some tacked on challenge levels. I didn't touch it after beating the story originally anyway.

[quote name='benjamouth']1200 points, ouch.

At 800 it was doubtful, at 1200 it's a definite NO WAI ![/quote]

Agreed!

I loved the game, but they should have just released the extra levels as DLC for the OB for a few hundred pts (at most). Would have done that ... not going to pay 15$ for something I already have ...

bread's done
Back