CAGcast #136: Pre-TGS BS, DSi, LBP, and Other Abbreviations

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[img-l=1]481[/img-l][preview]As TGS fast approaches, Wombat and Cheapy discuss the LittleBigPlanet beta, the Nintendo DSi, publishers vs. used game retailers, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

[podcast]29[/podcast]
Download - 88 minutes, 38MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Tai Videos:
http://www.vimeo.com/album/30411

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the timing matters. Either way, it's a new CAGCast. Woot.

I'll probably listen tomorrow.

BJ

Been listening to it, and I agree with Cheapy about the price of new disc-based games being way too high.

If you don't want a robust used game market, don't price it so damn high.

BJ

Thank you cheapy!

For the NBA Live code thing, I'm not sure that's a good example (at least compared to the GoW maps) because the Live DNA feature is almost like a subscription to a service. It wouldn't make sense for a used copy to be able get a sub since it's part of the secondary market and the cost of using that service can't be recoup'd. But yeah, not getting maps or in-game gear is lame.

I'd like to agree about disc-based games being too high, but you know the game companies' answer will be to move toward digital distribution, something I'm not keen on.

I also don't agree with Wombat about Sony's intended audience for LBP. There's no evidence in the marketing that suggests that Sony is looking at the Wii-crowd as the primary buyers of the game. I think Sony's main focus is that LBP is a unique title that is exclusive to the PS3 and that it provides a new kind of user experience that showcases the power of PS3 and PSN. I think the game is being promoted to anyone who doesn't already own a PS3 and that shouldn't necessarily be confused with people who are the casual core audience of the Wii. You can argue that LBP is not going to sell as many PS3s as Sony is hoping for, but I think saying that Sony specifically wants Wii-owners or the Wii casual gaming audience to buy the game and/or the system for the game is off the mark. The bottom line is, Sony wants to sell more PS3s in general. They aren't specifically going after the Wii audience with LBP, just more customers period.

As for the beta itself, I thought it was fun and promising as a full-blown game. I hear it's an old build, so maybe some of the little graphical glitches and other minor annoyances will be ironed out. I do agree that only a certain niche of folks will be able to make full use of all the custom user features, though, and I think it does hurt the game to a certain extent, but I don't think it will hurt sales per se. Sony might not sell as many PS3s or copies of the game as they want, but this title will probably still be among the best-selling titles the system will have this year, for better or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay, now to listen to it 4 times... I'm so pitiful (it's background noise for me when I'm working, it keeps my mind off the mind-numbing work I'm doing) - so yay!

Cheapy is wrong. You WILL NOT be able to play VC/WW games off the SD card with the upcoming update. You can directly download them to the SD card only. Read through the Ninten-speak, Cheapy.

Sweet ty Cheapy and Wombat for making Mondays so much better

Sounds like this will be a good show since it will be loaded with opinions :]

Can't wait to hear all the arguing XD

Cheapy is so right about the cheaper games. It doesn't make sense to release games at a lower price right away but it does make sense to have something like greatest hits for the PS2 on a more aggressive and massive scale. Heaven knows I've bought a lot of (maybe shitty) games for budget prices and so have other CAGs, as evident in all the CC/BB/Target/Walmart/etc. clearance/markdown/reprint threads.

In response to the the Costs behind the making of a Movie versus a Game.. it's more expensive to produce a movie because of all you have to take into consideration (ie actors, camera operators, directors, etc.. ) yet they only cost 20-25 bucks brand new in the new releases bin.. where as games do not cost that much to produce but yet they're 3x the price point and retain that value for the life time of that game unless a sequel comes out. There is an alternative to this that wouldn't kill off the used game market by requiring the resellers to pay royalties to the publishers which when it comes down to it is all this hoopla is about... I do tend to buy a lot of my games new simply because i hate getting scratched discs w/ missing manuals etc.. but i do love a good deal.. so i dunno.. i do buy the occasional used title but not as much as i do new.. I agree w/ Cheapy that more titles would sell if they were more affordable especially in today's economy.

That heist Level in the LBP beta tells you the order of the dice have to be in right at the beginning of the level, although I will admit that level is very lacking. The world of Colour is a much better level.

[quote name='KingBroly']Cheapy is wrong. You WILL NOT be able to play VC/WW games off the SD card with the upcoming update. You can directly download them to the SD card only. Read through the Ninten-speak, Cheapy.[/quote]

Sorry, these guys got it wrong, it seems:
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/20...-solution-load-items-direct-from-the-sd-slot/

Iwata announced during the Japan fall press conference that, in the spring of 2009, gamers can expect to have the ability to load and play software direct from your SD card in your SD slot, as well as download items directly to their SD slot.

[quote name='Shady3011']Cheapy, the outside camera on the DSi is 3 megapixels. Only the inside one is 0.3 megapixels.[/quote]
I believe this is just some sloppy blog reporting and that both cameras are actually 0.3 megapixels.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/e/02.html
For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution.
I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned the 3mp camera if they had one.

It seemed that a lot of people assumed that it was load & play off of the SD card after translating the announcements from another language, but they cleared it up with the NOA announcements the following day.

[quote name='Shady3011']Cheapy, the outside camera on the DSi is 3 megapixels. Only the inside one is 0.3 megapixels.[/QUOTE]

Looking at some of the proof now, namely a transcript of Iwata's speech, the front camera is most likely 0.3 megapixels. The 3MP was likely just a mistranslation of Gemaga's liveblog comment.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It seemed that a lot of people assumed that it was load & play off of the SD card after translating the announcements from another language, but they cleared it up with the NOA announcements the following day.[/quote]

It sounds like they are going to simplify the process and make it a one-step deal. So, you hit one button, the Wii copies the game off the SD card onto it's internal memory and the game launches.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/e/06.html
We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it

Too much miscommunication over this damn DSi specs and other poo poo. Wired's blog mentions that both are 300,000 pixels, but Joystiq and others are still sticking to the two different camera model. The official site seems to point out both cameras. Can anyone translate what the blurb says?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html

I don't think i mentions the megapixels on that page, but this leads me to believe that both camera are shitty:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/confer...esen/e/02.html
For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution.

I wonder if you are going to be able to play pirated games from the SD card on the DS. I know Nintendo is going to try and prevent this but I wonder if the hackers will get around it.

I think the software price is outrageous. I still paying for the games full price, but $60 is a little much. Why not drop it to $40? That seems to be a reasonable price. But no matter how low they drop the price of new games, there will always be the cheap asses who buy them used.

I don't really care about written previews. I can tell right away if I'm going to like a game as long as I see a gameplay video. I'm probably 98% right based on my first impressions. Btw , that gay guy should know that Wombat and Cheepy are the gayest straight dudes on the net. Has anyone else heard about the calamtous webot predicting some unsettling shit for oct 7 or 8th?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How well did you do in destroying me, Wombat? ;)[/QUOTE]

I can take the loss, but knowing I left more point on my bench then I put on the field is driving me crazy

Did you have fun with Major Nelson? Have you talked to Crecente yet? I'm loving the CAG soap opera. The game stuff is just a setting!

Good show. The whole "buy it new and get this chunk of game" will also piss off a lot of pirates as well since they can't hack into the xbox store and take the content. If I was the publisher, I'd release whatever it is a free download three or four months after release. Also the movies and games comparison doesn't hold up too well. You need to remember that a movie goes from theater to DVD to HBO to cable/network TV. Each time, they get a cut. Games however go release...clearance... to long ass period of time... nostalgic game for $10.00 . Not as much money to be made. Plus movies are excepted by everyone. video games aren't. Although the Wii has made advances in widening the gap, it doesn't have the same reach. Just my opinion.

Also, if you want more viewers, do some interviews. I'm sure if you had Rocksolidaudio on the show he'd mention it on his podcast and some people would wonder over to the site and check it out. I didn't listen to the Bionic Commando podcast until Cheapy went on and talked about straight pubic hairs for example. I haven't listened to it since but I'm sure somebody still is because of Cheapy.

Cheapy I think it was a bad idea to say you would rather hire Shipwreck because I bet Wombat will stop posting on his CAG Blog as retaliation to that statement. Also it was kind of mean.

Though at the same time, Wombat I think it is ridiculous to say browsing and posting on the forum is work.

Hey cheapy & wombat. another great show. I agree about the Force Unleashed being broken if set as default. There are settings you can change to help make the game less frustrating. Press start & go to options screen. Use the bumper to switch to gameplay. Scroll down and look for force throw. change the setting from toggle to hold. there is another toggle/ hold choice there to change but I cannot recall it at this time. This will, with the press and release of the trigger (instead of holding the trigger), lock your enemy/object into force grab. there is also a spot for "action camera". try adjusting these settings and dont forget to save afterward. I hope this helps you, it really helped me play this unnessasarily hard, throw you back to the begining of the level no matter where you saved, game.

It just hit me about how this whole deal w/ buying new sounds an awful lot like what Steam did w/ the PC market when Half-Life 2 was released... makes you wonder who all is behind it and certainly does sound like an industry setting themselves up for lawsuits...

I disagree with you Cheapy, if games were to be sold for a cheaper price, the Gamestops of the world would still offer cheaper games. Us gamers would probably buy the new game instead but most of the parents and kids that go into the store would be talked into buying the cheaper game, I've seen many people beeing talked into buying used and the edge card. I think Epic has the right idea when they offer 5 maps if you buy the game new but they should not punish gamers because of gamestop.

Also Cheapy, a suggestion about the DSi's you are thinking about giving away. I think it' almost itme for the Child's Play donations. You should give them away to someone who donates money that would deffinatley serve as encouragment for people to donate and help us break last year's record.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sorry, these guys got it wrong, it seems:
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/20...-solution-load-items-direct-from-the-sd-slot/

I believe this is just some sloppy blog reporting and that both cameras are actually 0.3 megapixels.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/e/02.html

I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned the 3mp camera if they had one.[/quote]

I don't blame you on the sd card slot stuff because a lot of blogs are reporting it that way. As far as the cameras on the DSi, I don't really care about that either, and I'm sure a lot of people won't care either. But you should wonder how Activision feels since they have to rethink Guitar Hero on DS now.

I have to say that I wasn't too excited for LBP, but I just got into the beta and I had to force myself to go to bed. I love it.

Hey I think Benjamin or whatever the CAGs name was, needs to STFU.
I'm like.. the emperor of the gays on here and I find "That's gay" not offensive at all. I think people really need to get over themselves.

So Benjamin or whatever your name is: STFU.
Plus I haven't heard either one of you say "That's gay" in a loooong time. Either way, it doesn't matter!

Good show, by the way! I'm surprised Cheapy wasn't a bit more interested in the DSi. It's nothing mind blowing, but the "DSWare" has me very interested in how this is going to turn out. The camera part is purely a gimmick; it's the internal web browser (again, nothing fancy but still neat to have) and the download service that seems to make the DSi more appealing.

[quote name='CheapyD']I don't think i mentions the megapixels on that page, but this leads me to believe that both camera are shitty:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/confer...esen/e/02.html
For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution.[/quote]

I believe Reggie Fils-Aime said during an interview with Dan Hsu on G4 that the outside one was 3 mp, and the inside was .3 mp. I would hope he knows what he's talking about... though I could have misheard.

[quote name='lilboo']Hey I think Benjamin or whatever the CAGs name was, needs to STFU.
I'm like.. the emperor of the gays on here and I find "That's gay" not offensive at all. I think people really need to get over themselves.

So Benjamin or whatever your name is: STFU.
Plus I haven't heard either one of you say "That's gay" in a loooong time. Either way, it doesn't matter!
[/quote]

Agreed!
If anything CAGcast deserves some kind of equality award not such stupid accusations.
Like just a few shows ago I remember you said you both support gay marriage.

I suppose that guy's just a big drama queen :whee:

Cheapy,
Let me preface my comment by saying that I have listened to nearly every episode of the CAGcast, and will continue to do so without hesitation. I love the website, the off-the-wall stories, and the friendly (and sometimes unfriendly) banter between you and Wombat.

Ok, here is my question: Are you guys really gamers?

You made mention that you never really played Super Mario 64. You fell asleep during Metal Gear Solid 4. You were pretty meh about the Little Big Planet beta, while nearly everyone else is loving it, and got bored after a few hours, while nearly everyone else is spending days tweaking levels. You both have difficulties with games that really aren't too difficult. And you consistently forget about or misinterpret recent gaming news (including no mention of Sin and Punishment 2 from this weeks Nintendo Conferences).

I'm not saying you should enjoy certain games, or should play certain games, it just seems like both you and Wombat really aren't that into it. For you, maybe it is more of a casual hobby, but I am just interested in what your take is on this subject.

Thanks, and keep up the awesome website and podcast!

[quote name='dece']Agreed!
If anything CAGcast deserves some kind of equality award not such stupid accusations.
Like just a few shows ago I remember you said you both support gay marriage.
[/QUOTE]

Well I think that's a bit ridiculous to say this is some LGBT friendly podcast simply because they agree on gay marriage: That just makes them civil human beings :lol:

I suppose that guy's just a big drama queen :whee:

And fixed.

LOL, yeah.
But the subject comes up pretty often on the show and they seem a bit more pro-gay than the average person.
I may be wrong...

Great observation of the codes being bundled with new games only. I would think that charging for content that comes on the codes is a better idea. This would make people feel like they are getting a better deal buying new games. It would also allow people who got a deal on the used version to have the oppuritunity of getting that content, rather than never being able to get it.

PS. Sorry I already asked this in the CAGbag but can you guys revive your DLC Tears & Jeers segment? That would be awesome.

FYI IGN had the first review and gave Fracture a 5.9. The PS3 editor who reviewed both versions also made fun of it on the IGN PS3 podcast by having the IGN Guides editor read exceprts from the review guide Lucasarts sent with the game in a documentary style.

The quote by Greg Miller (PS3 editor) at the end (in a deadpan tone): "This is the Moby Dick of our time."

bread's done
Back