HDD + SCPH 30001 = Problems

WildWop

CAGiversary!
[rant]

Anyone else having issues with their PS2 since they put in the HDD? It would seem there is something amiss with the older model PS2s. Here's my problem:

I cannot connect to any online game since I put the HDD in. I have an IP, a MAC address, all that seems to be going fine. It gets through the first "connecting to the internet" phase in SOCOM 2 and FFXI setup, but locks in DNAS Authentication, and gives me an error message (-613). "Check your network setup, communication error." My network setup has not changed, and functions perfectly for the 5 other devices I have hooked up to it. Now, even if I take the HDD out, I cannot connect online. It would seem something went wrong within the PS2 once the HDD went in (the HDD functions fine otherwise, transferring files to and from work).

So I call Sony. First time, they have no idea how to help. They say to check my ISP, see if they made any service changes. They didn't. I call them back. They are still clueless, and keep blaming my network setup, and claiming that I have a firewall installed. I do not run a firewall at home, I say, and the PS2 functioned fine online last week, prior to the HDD. "Open ports in your router" they say. I counter with the fact that I HAD tried that already, even though I had never had to forward ports to the PS2 to get online previously.

After reiterating those two points about 4 or 5 times, they offer to repair it free. So I ask how long. 3-5 days for them to send me an airbill. Shipping time to get there. 15-20 business days from that point to get it back. We're talking over a month total time. I say that is unacceptable. I've paid $150 (socom 2 + HDD), and I expect better than that. They offer to replace it with another *refurbished* 30001 model. For the amount of time I'd have to wait for the damn thing, I'd expect better than a refurbished launch PS2.

*****A WARNING TO ALL SOCOM 2 PLAYERS [at least those with older model PS2s] ************
Don't buy the HDD yet, or don't install it. The Sony rep would not take responsibility for the fact that SOCOM will no longer work for me online. They say that "SOCOM 2 does not yet support the HDD, and may not work AT ALL if the HDD is installed." In other words, you will need to take the HDD out to connect online to download some phantom update that they have no ETA on for it to all work again. A friend of mine, also with a 30001, cannot even get the game to boot up when the HDD is installed.

[/rant]

If anyone else has this problem, or something similar, post it here. The more information we can collect on the problem, the more likely we can find a solution.

I had an older ps2 and when I got the newtwork adapter it wouldn't go online so I told them and I sent it in and they fixed it for free. I dont think the older ps2s where meant for the hard drive and network apapter. If you keep on complaining I am sure they will do something.

I hate doing this too, since I've had jobs in customer service before. But dammit, I even got out of work early yesterday, all psyched to give FFXI a whirl and check for SOCOM updates, but instead I spent the evening dealing with Sony.

I'm thinking the next thing I push for is either A) an upgrade if I send my PS2 in (which still works offline, so it is a bigger loss to me sending it in than if it was broken entirely) or B) they send me a new (or refurbished) PS2 FIRST and I send them mine back in the same box. There's no chance in hell I'm waiting a month because they suck at designing hardware.

My worked fine. I had a first gen system with a Hard Drive long before FFXI came out. (PS2 Linux Kit owner here.) I say worked rather than works because I had to send my PS2 to Sony recently for DRE's and now have a newer refurbished model. But still, everything works as is should.

they send me a new (or refurbished) PS2 FIRST and I send them mine back in the same box.

Hahahahah! :lol: This isn't some newbie user in the CAG trade forum. This is Sony. Hell has a better chance of freezing over than Sony sending you a PS2 first. If they do, make sure you leave them feedback. :lol:

Now understand I own all three consoles and this isn't meant to start a console war. But...

This is what you get when you Mickey Mouse a BS hardware setup in the name of profits. Either charge more for an all in one solution or take a loss on the hardware. Xbox owners don't have to put up with this. But because Sony has that magical PlayStation brand they can fornicate their owners and customers at will.

I'm not surprised that there are problems in this setup. What do you honestly expect when there have been what, 10-15 PS2 manufacturing configurations? There's no way they're going to NOT have have problems. Leave it to Sony, introduce POS hardware and setups and then try to copy Microsoft all the time and years after the fact.

Wow, Microsoft an innovator. Who woulda thunk it.

I have sent my xbox in and ps2 and sony was FAST, if you exchange the ps2 it takes about 5 days to get the shipping label and it takes maybe 14 days for them to fix it and get it back.

daphatty, I understand that it is a longshot, but if you bitch enough you can get anything. I know this, I've been on the other side.

My reasoning is that I have a functioning PS2 in my hands right now. Functional except for the online part, which their addon screwed up. I was able to use online for months prior to the HDD, but now I cannot, with or without the HDD. I should not be inconvenienced (read: unable to play my offline games) due to their bungle. I consider the huge lag time from now until I get a working PS2 (either by swapping, or by repair) an unreasonable inconvenience.

scuba, how do you consider 19 days fast? I had a problem with my GC a year ago. The next day, a UPS guy was at my door picking up my GC, for free. I got it back in a week and a half, no cost to me. These Sony douchebags would send me an airbill NORMAL MAIL, for me to mail myself (which is less than convenient these days since my job keeps me away from home until well after normal businesses close).

I got my shipping label in like 3 days but thats what they told me.

Microsoft took like a month total to fix my xbox and send a box and shipping label.

[quote name='"daphatty"']My worked fine. I had a first gen system with a Hard Drive long before FFXI came out. (PS2 Linux Kit owner here.) I say worked rather than works because I had to send my PS2 to Sony recently for DRE's and now have a newer refurbished model. But still, everything works as is should.

they send me a new (or refurbished) PS2 FIRST and I send them mine back in the same box.

The Linux Hard Drive is a completely different format than the PS2 HDD. Ps2 games that support the HDD DO NOT work with the linux one.Check the Sony website on this.

Uh oh I have a 300001 as well I had hopes of getting the Hardrive to. Shit. I hope there is another way to resolve this besides having to send my ps2 to sony to be refurbished.

r1s3n

[quote name='WildWop']daphatty, I understand that it is a longshot, but if you bitch enough you can get anything. I know this, I've been on the other side.

My reasoning is that I have a functioning PS2 in my hands right now. Functional except for the online part, which their addon screwed up. I was able to use online for months prior to the HDD, but now I cannot, with or without the HDD. I should not be inconvenienced (read: unable to play my offline games) due to their bungle. I consider the huge lag time from now until I get a working PS2 (either by swapping, or by repair) an unreasonable inconvenience.

scuba, how do you consider 19 days fast? I had a problem with my GC a year ago. The next day, a UPS guy was at my door picking up my GC, for free. I got it back in a week and a half, no cost to me. These Sony douchebags would send me an airbill NORMAL MAIL, for me to mail myself (which is less than convenient these days since my job keeps me away from home until well after normal businesses close).[/quote]

yea I would not compare anyone's customer service to Nintendo's. They still are number 1 with that IMO

[quote name='WildWop']So back on track... anyone have an idea as to how this may be resolved sans-Sony Support?[/quote]

If you have an extra memory card or not, back up your original NA file on the memory card. Take out the HDD and put back the NA and configure it from scratch to see if you could go onlne.

Man, that sucks. It's funny, my launch day Xbox had been getting disc read errors on Tenchu and Steel Battalion like crazy and I couldn't connect to XBL at times. I called Microsoft on a Tuesday the 16th and got a tickey #. Later that day, I sent via UPS. My Xbox was repaired under warranty even though it was two years old without a service plan and no questions asked (the hard drive and bracket were replaced and so was the DVD drive - - all replaced with the newer stuff) and I got it back on Monday the 22nd. That's what I call excellent customer service I have had similar experiences with Nintendo also, and they were just as great. However, I had a newer PS2 go out on me three and a half months after I bought it, and Sony was extremely difficult about it. Even after logging in like three hours over the phone with their customer service, I still had to bitch to get anything done. But I did get my PS2 fixed and got a service plan for a discount. You might want to be the squeaky wheel if you get what I'm saying.

I've got an SCPH-30001 PS2 and have had no problems out of the hard drive at all whatsoever. It's a blast, I love it. :D Only problem I had was installing the PlayOnline Viewer with that damn blue disc. But otherwise, the HDD is excellent.

hmm, reinstall my NA software huh? sounds like good advice, I'll try it when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion racerman

[quote name='AGuth']Man, that sucks. It's funny, my launch day Xbox had been getting disc read errors on Tenchu and Steel Battalion like crazy and I couldn't connect to XBL at times. I called Microsoft on a Tuesday the 16th and got a tickey #. Later that day, I sent via UPS. My Xbox was repaired under warranty even though it was two years old without a service plan and no questions asked (the hard drive and bracket were replaced and so was the DVD drive - - all replaced with the newer stuff) and I got it back on Monday the 22nd. That's what I call excellent customer service I have had similar experiences with Nintendo also, and they were just as great. However, I had a newer PS2 go out on me three and a half months after I bought it, and Sony was extremely difficult about it. Even after logging in like three hours over the phone with their customer service, I still had to bitch to get anything done. But I did get my PS2 fixed and got a service plan for a discount. You might want to be the squeaky wheel if you get what I'm saying.[/quote]

I already started getting a bit rowdy with the second call I made to CS. The girl on the other end kept saying the same shit over and over again, like "its your router" "its your firewall." I swear I said "NO, I AM NOT RUNNING A FIREWALL ON ANY DEVICE!" about 5 times. I was considering trying a few different languages to say the same thing. Perhaps she spole Swahili or something.

The high point of the conversation happened when she said that "SOCOM 2 cannot work with the HDD yet." I was like, "HUH? You mean to tell me that a product made BY SONY, designed to make use of the SONY HDD, WILL NOT WORK WITH THE HDD?" She was like yes, you have to wait for a patch. See, in my particular situation, where I could not connect to the Internet due to the HDD, meant that I'd have to take out the HDD to be able to download the patch that will allow me to use the HDD. This seemed really stupid. "So wait, I spend $150 (HDD + SOCOM2), and you expect me to sit on the HDD while I wait for a patch to a game that should support the HDD inherently?" "Yes," she said. We spent 5-10 minutes reiterating the stupidity of that situation before getting back to the main discussion about why communism failed in Russia.

[quote name='Machine']Wow, I'm lucky. I installed the HDD in my first-gen, launch day PS2 and it worked perfectly.[/quote]

Same here.

hey dudes i think you need to run through the network adaptor setup prosses again. thats what i hear. when you install the hdd it reconfigures your network settings

Yes, I can verify that for you now. Thanks for the heads up everyone. I successfully connected just now after redoing the NA setup.

I have half a mind to call up my friendly neighborhood SCEA Customer Service rep and give her a good one-for.

For the love of all that is holy, please let the next batch of consoles come with hard drives or whatever form of mass storage PRE-INSTALLED!

This has convinced me to avoid the HDD for the PS2.

Actually, this should tell you that you can get it without worry. I was able to connect fine once I reinstalled the NA, or when worse comes to worst, you'd get a new PS2 (new to you anyway, and at a ridiculous cost to your personal time) supplied for you by Sony for free.

The original purpose of this thread was 1) to see if there was some way to fix my problem, and 2) if there was a solution, to be a bit of a data repository so that others with similar problems can use it as an aid.

I wouldn't worry about having trouble, for every one of me, there was what, four people on this board alone (five counting another friend of mine with an SCPH-30001 who had no trouble) that didn't have problems with their HDDs.

In reality, all it was was a failure of their customer service. You'd think it would be in their little solutions booklet to tell me to reinstall my network adaptor. So simple.

I dunno I tend to think most times when dealing with any digital media there can be a mistake while originally loading it. I like to think reloading would natural fix something if all other ethods fail.

Too much Windows 98 experience I guess. :?

I had no problem with it either, during the beta test the HDD gave me no problems at all. It is one of the old original batches. Both the PS2 I currently have are the old batches, I have not gone online with the other one, but both have been repaired and had parts replaced by Sony and it works even better than before.

Customer service was very pleasant and helpful, maybe I got some good Reps.

It's entirely possible to fix most any PS2 problem i've encountered. They're really easy to work with. I fixed disc read errors in my 30001R and I intend to fit it with a hard drive and a no-solder mod soon. I think what is meant by "reinstall the adapter" is to re-install the driver and reseat it, right? This could be helpful in the future for me.

bread's done
Back