The 2008-2009 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Young

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
The preseason schedule started off on Sunday, but it kicks off here with Jazz "at" Lakers in Anaheim. More importantly, the Bulls play Dallas on Thursday, but even if there was any chance we'd be getting that game (there wasn't), the Lakers and Clippers play each other that night. Oh, and the Oklahoma City THUNDER~! make their debut tomorrow night.

We also have some games scheduled internationally, as well as local games against international teams. They are listed as follows (all times Eastern):

Thursday, Oct. 9
New Jersey vs. Miami at Paris, 2 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 10
CSKA Moscow at Orlando, 7 p.m.

Sunday, Oct. 12
Miami vs. New Jersey at London, 2 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 14
Washington vs. New Orleans at Berlin, 2 p.m.
CSKA Moscow at Toronto, 7 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 15
Golden State vs. Milwaukee at Guangzhou, China, 8 a.m.

Friday, Oct. 17
New Orleans vs. Washington at Barcelona, Spain, 3:30 p.m.
Milwaukee vs. Golden State at Beijing, 11:30 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 18
FC Barcelona at L.A. Lakers, 10:30 p.m.

Sunday, Oct. 19
Toronto or L.A. Clippers vs. FC Barcelona at Los Angeles, 7:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 21
Lietuvos Rytas at Golden State, 10:30 p.m.

Finally, I have 20 questions for everyone. These were taken from a friend at another board, so no credit should go to me. I just thought it'd be fun. I'll place my answers in another post so as to not muck up the copying and pasting for those of you who wish to answer:

1. Who will win the MVP?

2. Who will win the Rookie of the Year?

3. Who will be the Coach of the Year?

4. Who will be named to the All-NBA First Team?

5. Who will be the NBA's Most Improved Player?

6. What team had the best offseason?

7. What team had the worst offseason?

8. Which team will be the most improved over last year?

9. Which team will be the biggest disappointment?

10. What was the best offseason move?

11. What was the worst offseason move?

12. Who will make the playoffs that didn't last year?

13. Who will not make the playoffs that did last year?

14. Who are the best five players in the league, position aside (weak-sauce question, I know)?

15. Who will be the division winners?

16. Eastern Conference Final:

17. Western Conference Final:

18. Who will win the NBA Title, and who will they beat?:

19. Who will be the #1 pick in next year's draft?

20. Make one bold prediction.

1. Who will win the MVP?
Chris Paul. As much as I love Kobe, Paul should have won it last year.

I may be biased, but I say Derrick Rose. He's already playing for what should be a 50 win team (barring a disaster like last season) and he has the tools around him to work with.

Maurice Cheeks, Philadelphia

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
C: Dwight Howard
SF: Lebron James
PF: Kevin Garnett

Kirk Hinrich

76ers

Warriors

Miami. Philly will better their record, Chicago even more so. But Miami was so far down that they will improve most.

Spurs. They looked like they were slipping last year, and I think they'll fall to a lower seed this year. The Suns should drop off as well.

Philly signing Elton Brand.

The Clippers losing Brand.

Chicago, Portland, Miami

Atlanta, Denver, Washington

14. Who are the best five players in the league, position aside (weak-sauce question, I know)?
Kobe, Lebron, Chris Paul, Garnett, Tim Duncan

Boston, Chicago, Orlando, Utah, Lakers, New Orleans

Boston vs. Detroit. The Pistons always seem to find their way in, and I think Philly and my Bulls are a year away from the conference finals.

Lakers vs. Jazz. The Rockets are a tempting choice, but recent history suggests they won't make it this far.

I hope this isn't just wishful thinking, but Lakers over Boston in a rematch from last year.

I have no idea, since I don't follow college basketball much outside of Illinois and the occasional UCLA game.

20. Make one bold prediction:
The Spurs will be eliminated in the first round.

1. Who will win the MVP? LeBron James

2. Who will win the Rookie of the Year? Michael Beasley

3. Who will be the Coach of the Year? Mike D'Antoni

4. Who will be named to the All-NBA First Team? LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Dirk Nowitski

5. Who will be the NBA's Most Improved Player? Chris Duhon

6. What team had the best offseason? 76ers

7. What team had the worst offseason? Clippers

8. Which team will be the most improved over last year? Knicks

9. Which team will be the biggest disappointment? Golden State

10. What was the best offseason move? Elton Brand to the 76ers

11. What was the worst offseason move? Keeping Stephon Marbury with the Knicks

12. Who will make the playoffs that didn't last year? Thunder

13. Who will not make the playoffs that did last year? Hawks

14. Who are the best five players in the league, position aside (weak-sauce question, I know)? LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudamire

15. Who will be the division winners? Celtics, Cavaliers, Magic, Hornets, Jazz, Suns

16. Eastern Conference Final: Celtics - Cavaliers

17. Western Conference Final: Jazz - Hornets

18. Who will win the NBA Title, and who will they beat?: Celtics over the Hornets

19. Who will be the #1 pick in next year's draft? Not really sure, but I really liked Stephen Curry from Davidson last year. He won't be a number one overall pick, but he is one hell of a player.

20. Make one bold prediction. Stephon Marbury will either not start, or be traded.

1. Who will win the MVP? LeBron James

2. Who will win the Rookie of the Year? Beasley

3. Who will be the Coach of the Year? Scott Skiles

PG- Parker
SG- Bryant
SF- Pierce
PF-Duncan
C-Stoudemire

5. Who will be the NBA's Most Improved Player? Durant

6. What team had the best offseason? Memphis.

7. What team had the worst offseason? Clippers.

8. Which team will be the most improved over last year? Toronto

9. Which team will be the biggest disappointment? Clippers

10. What was the best offseason move? Hawks re-upping Josh Smith

11. What was the worst offseason move? Clippers signing Boom

12. Who will make the playoffs that didn't last year? Warriors

13. Who will not make the playoffs that did last year? Nuggets/Mavericks

14. Who are the best five players in the league, position aside (weak-sauce question, I know)? Bron,Kobe,Stoudemire,Parker,Durant

15. Who will be the division winners? Celtics, Cavs, Magic, Jazz, Lakers, Hornets

16. Eastern Conference Final: Raptors vs Cavs

17. Western Conference Final: Jazz vs Lakers

18. Who will win the NBA Title, and who will they beat?: Cavs over Lakers

19. Who will be the #1 pick in next year's draft? Rubio or Jennings...

20. Make one bold prediction. Kevin Durant by the end of the year will be a top 5 player in the NBA.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Have there been any fantasy leagues started here yet?[/quote]

I haven't gotten into one yet. I play Yahoo for everything though.

I set one up on Yahoo.

Name: CAG NBA
ID #: 67737
Pass: cheapyd

Draft time is just an idea, not set in stone at all. The same goes for settings. They're up for discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pitfallharry219']I set one up on Yahoo.

Name: CAG NBA
Pass: cheapyd

Draft time is just an idea, not set in stone at all. The same goes for settings. They're up for discussion.[/quote]

You need the league ID# to register. Not just the name. I'm down for it though.

Well, they did lose their best player, but they acquired another high quality player at the same time. I think Brand is better though, and good bigs are harder to find than good guards, so I'd say the Clippers lost out on that one. They'll probably finish around the same place in the standings as last year, though.

Oh, and I joined the fantasy league.

[quote name='shinryuu']Clippers had the worse offseason. Please...[/quote]

Losing Brand is one thing...let me bring up the Baron signing as well.

As a huge Boom fan, let me run down how he's played under 'controlling coaches'

Byron Scott-Told him to fuck off- didn't play well
Mike Montgomerey- Told him to fuck off - didn't play well
Don Nelson - let's players do what they want - excelled..

Baron is Mike Dunleavy's system.....cmon now.

Suns play the Nuggets tomorrow in an outdoor game.

This season should prove to be interesting. Even though lots of analysts are predicting that the Suns won't even win the division.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Losing Brand is one thing...let me bring up the Baron signing as well.

As a huge Boom fan, let me run down how he's played under 'controlling coaches'

Byron Scott-Told him to fuck off- didn't play well
Mike Montgomerey- Told him to fuck off - didn't play well
Don Nelson - let's players do what they want - excelled..

Baron is Mike Dunleavy's system.....cmon now.[/quote]
Mike Dunleavy's system, okay.. what about it? He's changed it up, as seen in the preseason game we just had. It used to be concentrated on our post players, formerly Brand and Kaman. Now, it's more upbeat, making some of our players finally effective (Tim Thomas). I don't know much about Baron's history with coaches, but the dude can straight-up ball and helps the Clippers in more ways than Brand has. Clippers, with the exception of the 05-06 season when we got Cassell, have never had a PG like this in the past, I don't know, century?

And you have to be kidding me about finishing around the same record as last year. Last year, Brand was out for practically the whole season (okay, he played one week). You can't possibly say that this Clippers team is the same as last year's team, a team without Brand or a PG.

Don't tell me we did worse than the Wizards, who signed Arenas to a 100m+ contract and then got injured again. Or the Warriors, who lose Ellis to injury and Baron, and sign Corey Maggette and Turiaf to "imrpove" their team. Heck, even Denver, who gave away Camby, their best defensive player (probably their only player that plays actual defense) for a 2nd round pick and did nothing else to improve their roster.

The only thing you can say about the Clippers is that they're injury-prone. They have depth like any other playoff team from last year, the defense, and finally, perhaps a good offense with Baron leading. Besides injuries, the only thing that worries me is Kaman's performance in the preseason game (and the Olympics, I guess), the development of Thornton, and Dunleavy's generousity of giving minutes to almost everyone on the bench. Other than that, we can finally compete with the elites of the West and at least compete for a lower seed (7th/8th).

[quote name='shinryuu']Mike Dunleavy's system, okay.. what about it? He's changed it up, as seen in the preseason game we just had. It used to be concentrated on our post players, formerly Brand and Kaman. Now, it's more upbeat, making some of our players finally effective (Tim Thomas). I don't know much about Baron's history with coaches, but the dude can straight-up ball and helps the Clippers in more ways than Brand has. Clippers, with the exception of the 05-06 season when we got Cassell, have never had a PG like this in the past, I don't know, century?

And you have to be kidding me about finishing around the same record as last year. Last year, Brand was out for practically the whole season (okay, he played one week). You can't possibly say that this Clippers team is the same as last year's team, a team without Brand or a PG.

Don't tell me we did worse than the Wizards, who signed Arenas to a 100m+ contract and then got injured again. Or the Warriors, who lose Ellis to injury and Baron, and sign Corey Maggette and Turiaf to "imrpove" their team. Heck, even Denver, who gave away Camby, their best defensive player (probably their only player that plays actual defense) for a 2nd round pick and did nothing else to improve their roster.

The only thing you can say about the Clippers is that they're injury-prone. They have depth like any other playoff team from last year, the defense, and finally, perhaps a good offense with Baron leading. Besides injuries, the only thing that worries me is Kaman's performance in the preseason game (and the Olympics, I guess), the development of Thornton, and Dunleavy's generousity of giving minutes to almost everyone on the bench. Other than that, we can finally compete with the elites of the West and at least compete for a lower seed (7th/8th).[/quote]

Baron Davis has a prime-donna attitude....he'll chuck up 3's....I root for him to do great things in Clipperland....might challenge for 8th....but Portland will take the 8th seed.

So far he hasn't shown any indication of chucking 3s in our preseason. Obviously, its just one game, but it's a good sign. Plus, we dealt with it when we started Cassell as our PG. His shot selection was horrible in a half-court set. He'd bring the ball, and try and make a shot. Tried to do it with the C's and Paul Pierce b*tch'd about him.

So, the season starts in less than 4 hours with Cavaliers/Celtics.

In other news, Milwaukee claimed Austin Croshere off waivers. The Lakers released Coby Karl. New York released Patrick Ewing, Jr., which means he probably won't have a career since he couldn't even make the lowly Knicks.

102408shamrockjg10.jpg

Tomorrow Suns at Spurs, about damn time the season returned.

I've liked what I have seen from Robin Lopez, hopefully he can help our defense overall.

1. Who will win the MVP?
Kobe Bryant

OJ Mayo

Mike Dunleavy

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Kevin Garnett
Yao Ming

Randy Foye

Clippers (and im a sixers fan)

Knicks

Clippers

Cleveland/Chicago

Elton Brand signing with the Sixers

Lakers releasing Coby Karl

Clippers, Knicks, Blazers. (either clippers or blazers, not both)

Nuggets, Nets

Kobe
Lebron
Chris Paul
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan

Lakers
Rockets
Jazz
Celtics
Cavs
Heat (just watch)

Celtics vs Cavaliers

Lakers vs Suns
Lakers will beat Cavs 4-1

Ricky Rubio, Maybe Demar Derozan. Depends who gets the first pick

20. Make one bold prediction.
Andre Iguodala will be an allstar.

What the hell? I like how we all are just pretending Greg Oden is a rookie. Apparently the same thing happened to David Robinson.

Honestly though...are you really going to say that he is a rookie? There is no such thing a professional red shirt. Rookie doesnt just mean play time. It means being brand to the whole NBA. Having a complete year to follow and be taught and trained on a NBA level is completely unfair to other true rookies.

He never played a game so he is technically still a rookie, he's eligible for RotY.

I'm so pissed right now. My floormates are so stupid when it comes to TV. Instead of me being able to watch the NBA season premiere, I've got some idiot hogging the TV so he can watch Two and a Half Men. I don't know why I even pretend like I have access to a TV, it's been like this all year. Grrrrrrrr.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']He never played a game so he is technically still a rookie, he's eligible for RotY.

I'm so pissed right now. My floormates are so stupid when it comes to TV. Instead of me being able to watch the NBA season premiere, I've got some idiot hogging the TV so he can watch Two and a Half Men. I don't know why I even pretend like I have access to a TV, it's been like this all year. Grrrrrrrr.[/QUOTE]
Just watch it here:

http://www.justin.tv/porky2k5

Wait, wait, wait, hold up.

Isnt there suppose to be 4 guys on the TNT crew. Barkley, Kenny the Jet, random white guy (sorry dont remember his name) and one more person?

JustinTV is a SF-based online shit-a-majig.

It's crap when it comes to football and other shit....i'd tell you other sites but ya'll would take up all the bandwidth...

LMAO... Lamar Odom just passed the ball to Sasha Vujacic, who was standing up at the Lakers' bench. The facial expressions were priceless. Lakers still rolling 17-9 though.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Wait, wait, wait, hold up.

Isnt there suppose to be 4 guys on the TNT crew. Barkley, Kenny the Jet, random white guy (sorry dont remember his name) and one more person?[/quote]

Chuck, Kenny, and Ernie. Sometimes a guest (Used to be Magic fairly regularly).

For anyone who didn't know, DirecTV is showing a free trial of NBA TV through November 4th. They're only showing a handful of games, but it's something.

Also, as I just learned when they showed a graphic on TNT during the Lakers game, you can watch lots of out of market games on NBA League Pass broadband, free through November 11th, at this link:

http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/online.html?cid=88

Lakers 96, Blazers 76

The Blazers looked terrible, but they were playing on the road against the best team in the conference. As was noted by the commentators, they have a tough early schedule, but they'll end up just fine. The injury to Oden didn't seem too serious.

I never thought the Blazers would win 50 games like a lot of analysts predicted, but I still think they'll improve their record by 3-4 games over last year and contend for the 8th playoff spot.

All in all, it was a good opening night. The Bulls won, even though I didn't get to see the game since it wasn't broadcast here, and the Lakers dominated. I'm looking forward to Lakers/Clippers tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see Bulls/Celtics on Friday (the Bulls will likely get slaughtered, anyway) unless there's a replay since it's Halloween and I'll be out.

[quote name='Matt Young']For anyone who didn't know, DirecTV is showing a free trial of NBA TV through November 4th. They're only showing a handful of games, but it's something.

Also, as I just learned when they showed a graphic on TNT during the Lakers game, you can watch lots of out of market games on NBA League Pass broadband, free through November 11th, at this link:

http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/online.html?cid=88[/quote]
Has anyone gotten this to work? I made an account but when I go to sign up for the preview it says something like "invalid code" and I can't get past the terms of agreement.

It works fine for me. I signed up after making that post. I watched a little bit of the Raptors/Sixers game earlier, and started up the archived Bulls/Bucks game. There was a little lag, but no problems otherwise.

Damn... that was a slaughter. Lakers 117, Clippers 79. 7 Lakers in double figures, and all 12 active players on the team had at least 4 points.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Sucks not having Turiaf as a cheerleader anymore, that guy was hilarious on the bench[/quote]

instead we have the poor mans version of him with the exact same hair and number :lol:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I expected the Lakers to win tonight, but jeez, that's just murder right there.[/quote]

yea it was... At one point i felt a little bad for the Clippers

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Sucks not having Turiaf as a cheerleader anymore, that guy was hilarious on the bench[/quote]

I was jumping up and down like Turiaf in my room when i saw that big lead.:) Also when i saw that dunk from Jordan Famar from Luke Walton.

Lakers looking good this season with Andrew Bynum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back