Reggie Fils-Aime Says the Hardcore is "Insatiable"

"The gaming enthusiast that buys a tremendous amount of games is truly insatiable," Fils-Aime says. "As an example, in March, we launched Super Smash Bros. Brawl. In April, we launched Mario Kart. In later April, we launched Wii Fit. Then, in July, at E3, they say, 'where are the games?' They say they want the next Mario game. Super Mario Galaxy isn't even a year old yet."
We believe today that we have shown a plethora of games and genres that can satisfy the most casual to the most core. Even that doesn't seem like it's enough.

From IGN:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/916/916810p1.html

2567blw.jpg

Agreed. As hardcore gamers (I don't like the term. I prefer knowledgeable or active gamers -- people who read message boards, gaming sites, etc) we expect too much from Nintendo. It may be hard for them to admit but we are not their core audience anymore.

Serious question here: What do you want from Nintendo?

Nintendo isnt the only ones making games for their system. No one expects to subsist off of just Sony or MS's first party teams either.

If what the hardcores really want is online gaming, they need to look elsewhere.

That's pretty true. We we tend to play a game, finish it and toss it aside. Not saying that it's wrong, but the time we get out of games vs. the time required to make them is a pretty lopsided formula.

None of those are truly "gaming enthusiast" games. You could argue for Brawl and Galaxy, perhaps, but there's no way Wii Fit was made for us. It was targeted towards soccer moms in the US; just look at the marketing. I'm sick of NOA's bullshit. I haven't bought a single game from them in over a year. All my DS and Wii purchases have been 3rd party, and especially for the Wii, those purchases are few and far between (past year for Wii: Dragon Quest Swords, RE: UC, Opoona, and soon Tales of Symphonia. THAT'S IT). They are no longer targeting us gamers anymore here in the US. There's PLENTY of 1st party games in Japan that they could bring over here, but they're either months late or they completely refuse.

Gosh, the controversy that is the truth.

Woe be us enlightened ones who will surely use this as more ammo for bad arguments against Nintendo.

Edit: Too late. DoK already started the madness.

[quote name='Strell']Gosh, the controversy that is the truth.

Woe be us enlightened ones who will surely use this as more ammo for bad arguments against Nintendo.

Edit: Too late. DoK already started the madness.[/QUOTE]

I'm just expressing my opinion. They have literally released fuck-all nothing for my tastes in the past year, and it's bullshit. I realize that for a good majority of Wii owners, this is not the case at all. But it is for me and a decent amount of hardcore gamers that are sick of casual games.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']None of those are truly "gaming enthusiast" games.[/quote]
In this case, when has Nintendo EVER released truly gaming enthusiast games. I dont believe that they have under your definition, and therefore their focus has not ever changed.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Damn. This thread is decidedly less sexy than I hoped for when I read "insatiable"[/QUOTE]

I can't do it all by myself, people!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']In this case, when has Nintendo EVER released truly gaming enthusiast games. I dont believe that they have under your definition, and therefore their focus has not ever changed.[/QUOTE]

I take enthusiast games to mean stuff that's not super-simplistic crap that wouldn't entertain anyone who's played a game before. That means Wii Fit.

I've only bought Brawl and Mario Kart this year, and while yeah, there's definitely a huge lack of good stuff, there is some good stuff on the horizon, so I'm more optimistic than I was like... 5 months ago or so.

Gaming"Enthusiast" Games or Games that wont Appeal to Soccer Moms:
Earthbound series
Fire Emblem Series
Mario RPG Series
Pikmin Series
Metroid Series
F-Zero Series
Star Fox Series

I'm really glad Nintendo released Wii Fit. It's going to give clench-fisted gamers ammo for years to come, the same way people like to think pins on the lapel constitutes true examination.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Gaming"Enthusiast" Games or Games that wont Appeal to Soccer Moms:
Earthbound series
Fire Emblem Series
Mario RPG Series
Pikmin Series
Metroid Series
F-Zero Series
Star Fox Series[/QUOTE]

Those are Nintendo Gaming Enthusiast games at best. The average "gaming enthusiast" of today doesn't have the patience for half of them, calls the other half gay, and is turned off by the use of more than 3 colors. Hell, Earthbound got roasted by kids back when it was released, to say nothing of the shitstorm that will be shitted out when it finally comes to the VC, since I can already predict the astounding levels of idiocy that will populate the internets-at-large once that time comes, where I WILL be responsible for lots of violence.

About the only one applicable on that list is Metroid, and that game gets so little attention it's downright criminal.

Just look at the conference from last week. How many people outside of already-Nintendo fans are excited? Almost none. Hell, at least half the population who is excited is composed of a bunch of reluctantly-infused people, saying things like "Yeah gee I like X but ONLY if it does these specific 80947239487239473 things I want."

I mean it's moved on from liking a franchise or a title and into now it HAS to do x y and z. But hey, let's keep the parade a-goin', with a "We don't brake for anything less than M" bumpersticker.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Gaming"Enthusiast" Games or Games that wont Appeal to Soccer Moms:
Earthbound series
Fire Emblem Series
Mario RPG Series
Pikmin Series
Metroid Series
F-Zero Series
Star Fox Series[/QUOTE]

Great list, thanks.

Can we define "Gaming Enthusiast"? Is it the dude that plays COD4, Gears, and Halo? Or is it the people that read message boards, listen to podcasts, and keep up to date with the industry?

How many games do you expect from each first party team per year? They've already hit Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Zelda.

Do you honestly expect any of those teams to have produced ANYTHING good in time for this holiday season?

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Can we define "Gaming Enthusiast"? Is it the dude that plays COD4, Gears, and Halo? Or is it the people that read message boards, listen to podcasts, and keep up to date with the industry?[/QUOTE]

You might as well define "hardcore gamer," since you're just substituting a different title for the same thing. And that is a completely useless endeavor. 100% hopeless. Been debated a million times all ova the place and it's trash from end to end.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']How many games do you expect from each first party team per year? They've already hit Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Zelda.

Do you honestly expect any of those teams to have produced ANYTHING good in time for this holiday season?[/quote]

I expect at least 2 games from Intelligent Systems. Last year they put out at least 5 games I can think of, possibly more. I have gotten 1 Advance Wars. IF NOA could get off its lazy ass and get out FE:DS or Pokemon Platnium, then I could feel that Reggie's Comments are justified.

Insatiable? Like we're a bunch of horny, lonely housewives? All I want is Nintendo to develop new IPs for the "hardcore." This has been a problem for some time, but it seems really bad for this generation. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo, but I'm getting a little sick of defending them when one of their big holiday releases is Wii Music.

This year IS has put out Days of Ruin and in Japan, the remake Fire Emblem for DS.

Last year, they put out Fire Emblem, Paper Mario and WarioWare, the previous 2 having most of their dev time under the Gamecube.

I dont believe anyone knows what they've been working on since then.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']This year IS has put out Days of Ruin and in Japan, the remake Fire Emblem for DS.

Last year, they put out Fire Emblem, Paper Mario and WarioWare, the previous 2 having most of their dev time under the Gamecube.

I dont believe anyone knows what they've been working on since then.[/quote]

I previously stated NOJ is much better at making games people care about then NOA. It should not take 6 months to a year to get it out across the sea.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']How many games do you expect from each first party team per year? They've already hit Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Zelda.

Do you honestly expect any of those teams to have produced ANYTHING good in time for this holiday season?[/QUOTE]
This, exactly.

Nintendo can only do so much, and the best games take time to make. Do people make these same demands of Sony and Microsoft (and their second parties)?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']This year IS has put out Days of Ruin and in Japan, the remake Fire Emblem for DS.

I dont believe anyone knows what they've been working on since then.[/QUOTE]

KEY WORDS: IN JAPAN

NCL is doing a fine job of getting games out, it's just NOA is taking their sweet ass time releasing relevant hardcore games over here, or they're not releasing them at all.

[quote name='blueshinra']This, exactly.

Nintendo can only do so much, and the best games take time to make. Do people make these same demands of Sony and Microsoft (and their second parties)?[/quote]

Not really, but that's because of the 3rd party support.

Don't really care about this article, but I love how he cites Wii Fit...that fucker knows exactly how to screw with the hardcore gamer :lol:

Has Microsoft Games Studio released anything since Halo 3 and PGR4? And yet I don't hear anyone complaining about the 360. Why? Because the 3rd parties put out some decent stuff.

Your beef is not with Nintendo, people, but all the companies not releasing anything of any value on the system when the opportunity is ripe.

Do Sony and Microsoft even make good games?

I know someone's gonna jump in and yell out "Uncharted," but that's kinda the point.

[quote name='ninja dog']Not really, but that's because of the 3rd party support.[/QUOTE]
Yep, and to me, that's more important than how many new Mario games Nintendo can release this generation. Third party support is great on the DS, but merely okay on the Wii so far. I'm fine with that for right now, but I would like it to be better.

Nintendo itself is giving me enough of what I want to play. The Wii Fit bit aside, I think Reggie has a real point here.

Sony has Team ICO and Digital Polyphony under their wing, but they're super slow.

The trend for both Sony and MS though, particularly this year, has been to dissolve 1st party development and move toward 3rd.

[quote name='Chacrana']Do Sony and Microsoft even make good games?

I know someone's gonna jump in and yell out "Uncharted," but that's kinda the point.[/quote]Microsoft does alright, Sony's struggling to find their footing as the PS2 was a roaring success thanks to 3rd party, not 1st party support.

[quote name='Chacrana']I can't even think of one good game Microsoft has made.[/quote]The PGR's were solid, but Bizzare of course isn't under their wing anymore.

Halo 1 & 3 were fun.

That's the thing - MS didn't make any of those - they just published that ish.

No matter how shit Nintendo is, at least they're actually making games and those games are actually good. They might be slow as hell and occasionally make stupid shit, but that's more than can be said about Sony of MS.

[quote name='Chacrana']I can't even think of one good game Microsoft has made.[/quote]

SRSLY:
Forza 1 and 2
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden 2.

Ehhh Microsoft has no internal devolpment.
This is hard.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's the thing - MS didn't make any of those - they just published that ish.

No matter how shit Nintendo is, at least they're actually making games and those games are actually good. They might be slow as hell and make stupid shit, but that's more than can be said about Sony of MS.[/quote]

Shadow of the Colossus is better then anything Nintendo ever made.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']MGS owns Lionhead, so they can get credited for Fable[/QUOTE]

And when that's as good as it gets, you know the company is basically worthless.

[quote name='Chacrana']And when that's as good as it gets, you know the company is basically worthless.[/quote]

What about Minesweeper?

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']SRSLY:
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden 2.
[/quote]

Losty Odyssey was done by mistwalker and NGII was done by TECMO.......

[quote name='SL4IN']Losty Odyssey was done by mistwalker and NGII was done by TECMO.......[/quote]

They were published by MGS, which is all they can really do.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']
Shadow of the Colossus is better then anything Nintendo ever made.[/quote]

Yeah, if only the game ran faster than like, 11 frames per second.

I still think-- and some will say I'm an outlandish fanboy-- that Nintendo still one of the finest developers ever. It's a little frustrating when they're not pushing for new IP. Project H.A.M.M.E.R at least looked interesting, but that got canned. Captain Hero looks amazing, but we may never see that in the states.
I guess part of why Nintendo fans like myself are upset is because Nintendo arguably delivered the best first party library during NES and SNES era. Now we're really not seeing that grand scope and variety.

[quote name='SL4IN']Yeah, if only the game ran faster than like, 11 frames per second.[/quote]

If only Nintendo could come up with an aesthetic that didn't look like a 3rd grade crayon drawing.

yeah i mean lets be honest, i don't have as much time to game as i would like (damn you college) but there is no support for nintendo, and its sad. Yeah they released fun sequels to their 15+ year old franchises but where is the new stuff, and to me its fine that microsoft doesn't have an internal team because they know which companies to buy (lionhead thank you for all your goodness) and they get all the major titles. its nintendos fault, i mean they wanted to be different this generation so they can't really support any of the major titles because they don't translate to the controller and low resolution.

bread's done
Back