XBLA - R-Type Dimensions - 1200pts.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41123.html

The evil Bydo empire just won't give up --do you have what it takes to save the Earth? There is only one way to find out...

• R-Type & R-Type II – two full playable classic coin-op games
  • Single player and co-op play – locally or on Xbox LIVE for up to 2 players
  • All new 3D graphics plus original 2D graphics – swap back and forth on-the-fly
  • “Classic” game mode – exactly mimics original coin-op play
  • All new “Infinite” game mode – assuring completion of games regardless of skill level
  • Stat screen - tracks all of your vital stats
  • Two free gamer pictures – can be unlocked by players of all skill levels
  • Achievements – including novelty achievements that provide additional challenges

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I never really got into R-Type when I was younger, so this is a good chance to get to play them. If it's 800 points, I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Hopefully they include the originals; that'd be icing on the cake

This looks fantastic. Big fan of R-type. Still have the R-Types game for PS1 that I play now and again and got the TG-16 version on my Wii. This will be a day one for me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No. The only R-Type on the PSP is the strategy game R-Type Command.[/QUOTE]

I know about that game (as I really want to play it) but I could have sworn that they had released a 3D remake of the first two games before

[quote name='fart_bubble']I know about that game (as I really want to play it) but I could have sworn that they had released a 3D remake of the first two games before[/QUOTE]

You are probably thinking of R-Types, which is a PS1 compilation of R-Type and R-Type II. It is not a remake. It is also available for PS3/PSP via PS Store for $6.

Looks great.

I thought when they said "switch from 2D to 3D" during the conferences, they meant some kind of crush/SPM mechanic. oh well.

i had the original r-type on my sega master system..loved it..never beat it though (hard as hell in the later levels) even with the extra lives cheat on the continue screen....the "3D" looks questionable and seems like it hinders your ability to see the enemies coming up some..but I might bite on this

I'll have to try the demo but I'm happy to see Irem (or whoever owns the R-Type license nowadays) putting what seems to be a great deal of effort into this. I mean, all the different modes, two games, 2p coop (that's totally new for R-Type as far as I know), etc. I'm betting it'll be 800 but that seems fair considering it comes with two games.

I really wish the TG16 R-Type on VC would get a price drop. As much as I loved the TG16 port, and as much nostalgia there is in it for me, I can't justify 800 points. Maybe if they'd bring over R-Type complete for the Turbo CD, I'd bite.

I'm rambling, it's late, bring on the shooters.

That's a random way to release a game. "Oh here look surprise! R-Type."

I hate sounding like a sour sap but really want's the point of another port/remake/upgrade to the first two R-Type games? Is it that flipping hard to give Delta or 3 or even Leo another chance? All of those were great games so why don't they get more play? Just asking.

PS. Irem was and will always be stupid as hell for saying they'll never make another proper R-Type game. There are so many 'alternate mission' storylines in the series you'd be a fool to pass that up.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is that what that usually means when the forum goes live on xbox.com?[/QUOTE]

outside of Zombie Wranglers and Uno Rush, yeah, pretty much. If it isn't on Wednesday, it will hit next week most likely

What makes me angry is OXM already reviewed this and said it was 800 points. This sounds like a last minute "fuck you pay us more" move.

fuck that new price. If it becomes an "arcade greatest hits" and drops to 800 I'll get it then.

EDIT - For $5.99 I can get R-Types on PSN which is basically the same games, minus co-op, plus the ability to play it on my PSP.

well it's about time they made this for arcade. I remember playing this on Snes
it's a classic

I might go ahead and purchase this so more shmups show up on arcade maybe those cave games could be a possibility.

really lame that this is 1200, I probably would have pulled the trigger if it was 800.

On a side note I really wish microsoft would allow achievement points based on price. If I'm going to pony up $15 for an arcade title I think it should have more than 200 achievements.

[quote name='Decker']Passing on principle at that price.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I think I am, too. I was looking forward to this, but there is absolutely no reason this needs to be 1200 points.

It's hard to endorse this price, but I do have the points to spare. I might still go for it. Problem is, with so few people willing to pay $15 for it, there may be no co-op anyway. Kind of shooting themselves in the foot here.

MjC

Is 1200 the new price point for games? It seemed to start at 400, then for the longest time every game was 800. Now, it seems to have moved on to 1200. Also, what's funny is how people have moved. When games were 800, everyone said pass, would buy at 400, now everyone would happily pay 800 now that it costs even more.

Next year, they'll be 1600, and we'll look at the glory days of 1200 point games. This is just getting rediculous.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Is 1200 the new price point for games? It seemed to start at 400, then for the longest time every game was 800. Now, it seems to have moved on to 1200. Also, what's funny is how people have moved. When games were 800, everyone said pass, would buy at 400, now everyone would happily pay 800 now that it costs even more.

Next year, they'll be 1600, and we'll look at the glory days of 1200 point games. This is just getting rediculous.[/quote]

I never really had a problem with 800 point games so long as they were worth it. 1200 is just rediculous though. $15 for an arcade game is just crap.

[quote name='Zyzomys']That does seem rather expensive for a game I played a long, long time a go.[/QUOTE]

It also seems like a hell of a lot to pay for a game that plays almost identical to Ageas Wing, which is free.

I"m going to try this when I get home.

If there is one thing I wish they had more of on XBLA it's shmups. They lend theirselves perfectly to pick-up-and-play gaming.

bread's done
Back