Netflix on 360 FAQ

Lint21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Lots of people are very interested in the Netflix streaming that will be introduced with the Fall dashboard update. This is an attempt at a FAQ for that topic, since there what information there is out there is pretty spread out.

NOTE: This is a work-in-progress, and I need your help to fill in some of the blanks. Anything you notice that is incorrect/outdated/incomplete, please post a comment indicating the edit needed

Q: What? Netflix is going to send movies to my Xbox?

A: No, stupid. Well, ok, kind of. Netflix has a feature for subscribers that allows them to stream movies directly to their computers. You know, over teh intarwebs. And now you'll be able to stream to your 360 as well.

Q: Great, how much extra is this going to cost me?

A: Actually, it's a (mostly) free service. Cool, huh?

Q: "Mostly" free? What do I need to buy?

A: You need an Xbox Live Gold account and a Netflix subscription.

Q: What Netflix subscription plans work?

A: Should be any of them. The cheapest is $5 a month, which comes with two hours of streaming per month. All others, starting at $9/month, include unlimited streaming.

Q: How many movies will I have access to?

A: Supposedly over 10,000, though it is not clear if the library will be the same as Netflix PC, or a smaller subset. This post by Major Nelson mentions that the new Starz Play library will be included.

Q: Is it just movies, or tv shows too?

A: Dunno. CAGs?

Q: When will it be available?

A: By all accounts, November 19th, 2008, the same day the new dashboard hits.

Q: What resolution are the streams? HD, SD, Youtube-quality? Is the audio Dolby Digital, DTS, or mono?

A: You know, that's a good question. I don't know... any CAGs help out here?

Q: I'm broke and/or morally opposed to paying for XBL Gold. Can't I do it for free?

A: Sort of. Try searching for vmcNetflix or PlayOn. They have some limitations, but at least PlayOn can handle Hulu and the like.

Q: That's like $150 a year between the $9/month Netflix plan and $40 for XBL (if I find a deal). Is it worth it?

A: You probably already have XBL, right? And the $9 plan gives you one DVD out at a time with as many exchanges as you want. It really depends on what movies are available. Of course, if you already have both services, this is just a cool way that they are blended together.

Q: Are there any other cool features of the service?

A: I don't know how cool this is, but Live Party is part of the new dashboard as well. It sounds like you'll be able to watch movies and chat with your friends online. From Major Nelson:

LIVE Party system. Create a party of up to eight friends, and stay with them from one game to another, or watch a Netflix movie together, or share a slideshow of your personal photos. It works with all Xbox 360 titles, not just upcoming games. LIVE Party allows up to eight people to chat in the dashboard, so you can meet up before playing.

Q: I have another question about Netflix and the 360. What do I do?

A: Post a reply and ask it!

Should have TV shows as well, several are on the instant watch already so as long as the full library is available they should be available to watch on the 360. The way it works is you add stuff to you instant watch queue on the website and then you can access them on the 360, so I'd think there would be no limitations on what you can watch through the 360.

As for quality, I don't know specifics, but on PC the quality varies by your connection speed (it tests and optimizes accordingly). It looks pretty damn good on a PC monitor.

It so sucks that my ISP keeps track of how much and limits me to a bandwidth percentage. >< I just looked at a $5 a month deal and was wondering if I could rent bluray at what is it $6 a month with the extra fee?

I was excited to try this but I am not a Gold member, too bad. I have no desire to pay for something I can do for free in so many other ways. The convenience would have been nice but not for an annual subscription price.

I'll keep watching my Netflix on the 5 other devices in my house that don't cost me extra above my Netflix subscription price.

[quote name='jaystaeb8']I was excited to try this but I am not a Gold member, too bad. I have no desire to pay for something I can do for free in so many other ways. The convenience would have been nice but not for an annual subscription price.

I'll keep watching my Netflix on the 5 other devices in my house that don't cost me extra above my Netflix subscription price.[/quote]

That reasoning makes absolutely no sense. You pay extra for a device to be able to stream netflix on your TV, albeit not monthly, but you're still paying something and with Xbox Live 12+1 cards going for $28-30 that's like $2.30 a month.

If you're complaining about $2.30 a month, then stop going to Starbucks.

[quote name='cmart05']That reasoning makes absolutely no sense. You pay extra for a device to be able to stream netflix on your TV, albeit not monthly, but you're still paying something and with Xbox Live 12+1 cards going for $28-30 that's like $2.30 a month.

If you're complaining about $2.30 a month, then stop going to Starbucks.[/QUOTE]

When did I say I paid for a device to stream Netflix to my TV. My laptop does it free and is much easier to connect to all my TV's. I just thought it would be nice to have a TV that had a device connected all the time, ready to go, but I am not paying extra for that. You may pay happily for Live Gold, however I won't. It offers no services I can get elsewhere for free. I don't have cable, I have an antenna on my roof and simply get free over the air TV. I don't pay for things that should be free, it allows me to spend my money on the things that I think are really worth it.

And I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, I took 1 sip once and new I wasn't missing out on anything I really wanted. What do you know, just like Live Gold. 1 sip was enough to last a lifetime!

I have just read about the upcoming "Netflix Movie Party" feature:

http://kotaku.com/5316580/xbox-live-update-games-on-demand-netflix-movie-party--more

Movie Parties – Xbox LIVE Gold members can sit together in a virtual theater with up to seven friends no matter where they are while your Avatars watch a movie, flirt or even throw popcorn at each other.

What I'm curious about is, will it allow us to actually TALK (via headset/mic) as well while we watch the movie? Or is it just "gestures" (flirt, throw popcorn) and text chat?

anyone tried netflix and have the new new update?

I am curious to if the streaming has improved at all. I have a 1.5 Mbs connection right now but are going to upgrade to 3.0 Mbs very soon. Will I see a big boost in quality?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']anyone tried netflix and have the new new update?

I am curious to if the streaming has improved at all. I have a 1.5 Mbs connection right now but are going to upgrade to 3.0 Mbs very soon. Will I see a big boost in quality?[/QUOTE]

The picture is noticeably crisper, but the loading times are 2x as long. Plus, there is a little brief streaming lag once every hour or so. It's a decent payoff IMHO.

So according to Netflix's TOS, you can use more than one 360 if you have a 2 dvd or more monthly plan. I know you need a gold account to use Netflix so can I be signed on to the same gold account at the same time. One person downstairs watching Netflix with me upstairs gaming?

So, I know there used to be a thread for all the movies streaming in HD but I cant seem to find it. It also had a link to a site with a complete list. Anyone happen to remember where it is?

Have they added limited surround sound to the instant-watch movies? I haven't done any advanced testing but there have been times where I could swear I was hearing stuff out of the rear speakers.

bread's done
Back