CAGcast #137: The Tokyo Game Show (not so) Special 2008

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Excellent!!!!

This is great, I just love the TGS news and I always the stories from you Cheapy about all the happenings in Tokyo.

A Japanese Wii connects to Japanese Wii store, even in America. I'm sure the DSi will do the same.

As far as missing Nintendo news, why didn't Cheapy mention the sequel to No More Heroes being announced? That's pretty big for Wii owners as some thought NMH would be the last chance for hardcore games on Wii and for the guys who made NMH since it was their first sequel.

CheapyD Hates Black People lol sounds like when Kayne West said George Bush Doesn't Like Black People :lol:

i still would of felt unconformable with Brian Crecente in that situation because i'm such a socially conscious person and worry about what other people think of me

why hate on Nintendo when their 2009 lineup is looking pretty awesome?

:/, you guys forgot to go back to talking about Saint's Row 2.

I was actually wanting to hear what Cheapy had to say.

By the way, I was laughing my ass off when Wombat mocked your ninja swoosh sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShinAkumA21']CheapyD Hates Black People lol sounds like when Kayne West said George Bush Doesn't Like Black People :lol:

i still would of felt unconformable with Brian Crecente in that situation because i'm such a socially conscious person and worry about what other people think of me

why hate on Nintendo when their 2009 lineup is looking pretty awesome?[/quote]

Considering Cheapy hasn't even beaten Super Mario Galaxy (aka best game on the system by a long shot), it isn't surprising Cheapy doesn't care and doesn't want to try anything on a Nintendo system, 1st party or otherwise.

[quote name='KingBroly']Considering Cheapy hasn't even beaten Super Mario Galaxy (aka best game on the system by a long shot), it isn't surprising Cheapy doesn't care and doesn't want to try anything on a Nintendo system, 1st party or otherwise.[/quote] That's not true...I play the DS! Hopefully I'll be able to talk about My Japanese Coach next week.

[quote name='TheHiei']:/, you guys forgot to go back to talking about Saint's Row 2.

I was actually wanting to hear what Cheapy had to say.

By the way, I was laughing my ass off when Wombat mocked your ninja swoosh sounds.[/quote]I should have the retail version tomorrow. You'll hear all about it next week. Dead Space too...

Wombat don't by "Linger In The Shadows"

It's basically a 15 minute movie. You can watch the whole thing online. But I hear it comes with trophies.

[quote name='CheapyD']That's not true...I play the DS! Hopefully I'll be able to talk about My Japanese Coach next week.

I should have the retail version tomorrow. You'll hear all about it next week. Dead Space too...[/quote]

It just seems that...to me at least, excuses are made not to talk about Nintendo news, sometimes big news (like this past week with No More Heroes).

And while you talk about Dead Space, I'll be playing Mega Man 9 on my Wii. There's only so much of that Endless Attack music that you can take.

[quote name='KingBroly']A Japanese Wii connects to Japanese Wii store, even in America. I'm sure the DSi will do the same.

As far as missing Nintendo news, why didn't Cheapy mention the sequel to No More Heroes being announced? That's pretty big for Wii owners as some thought NMH would be the last chance for hardcore games on Wii and for the guys who made NMH since it was their first sequel.[/QUOTE]

look at the top sellers from Cheapassgamers on Amazon and you know why the CAGcast is pro-MS and gives Nintendo the slight.

What the hell Cheapy?! Still can't find Alex the Pizza guy? Doesn't he have a pizza place open in "Akasaka" (?) I'd say go and visit it, if it's condemned or whatever, it's obvious that he's gone. Or you can ask him what the fuck happened if he's there. It'd be worth the trip to find out, seriously... for closure.

[quote name='TiE23']What the hell Cheapy?! Still can't find Alex the Pizza guy? Doesn't he have a pizza place open in "Akasaka" (?) I'd say go and visit it, if it's condemned or whatever, it's obvious that he's gone. Or you can ask him what the fuck happened if he's there. It'd be worth the trip to find out, seriously... for closure.[/quote]

I second this

But ya, very good listen. I don't think Wombat deserves all the flack he gets. His 'antics' is one of the big reasons why I liked the CAGcast over other podcasts i've listened to like CAGcast. It makes it a fun listen as well as very informative, and overall a great listen. I don't see how anyone actually could've seen Wombat was serious about asking

Also, I do have to say that Nintendo's futures are looking up. You have to admit that their 2009 slate already looks better than their late 2008 slate for the Wii. While it's still legions behind the 360, you have to admit they look a lot better than they did at E3

The hungry whities picture was great. I'm suprised it wasn't more people lol.

Yes CAGcast! I waited all day for this. The PlayerOne podcast with Wombat was a decent substitute for a day. If you haven't heard it yet, shame on you! You get to hear about some of Wombat's fondest gaming memories!!

[quote name='ShinAkumA21']CheapyD Hates Black People lol sounds like when Kayne West said George Bush Doesn't Like Black People :lol:

why hate on Nintendo when their 2009 lineup is looking pretty awesome?[/quote]

Hey Shin, please don't misunderstand my comments, I'm not hating on Nintendo, I'm pointing out the obvious. No More Heroes looks good, I'll pick it up when the price is right, but Mega Man 9? Really? I'm not knocking Mega Man, I love the oldd side scrollers, Mega Man 2 was my favorite. All I'm saying is, is that the BEST you can do Nintendo? Mario Kart was great on the SNES, but what's been added to the franchise---four player on N64? Online multiplayer on the Wii via obnoxious friend codes? Mario Galaxy looks innovative, there are some cool DS titles that are original, but you have to admit, they play 3 card monty and rebox old software more often than they come up with new ideas. As much as I love Nintendo, it's hard to say they've realized the potential of the Wii, I agree with Cheapy and Wombat that it's a fad----even my kids aren't entertained at this point.

Just finished listening to the CAGcast. Cheapy, I really enjoyed your perspective on TGS. Thanks for reading my comment on the air.

is it me or was the player one podcast with wombat much more enjoyable than the cagcast? Seems like the cagcast has turned into a platform for cheapy to stroke his ego. Cheapy just dominates the cagcast and doesn't even let wombat get a word in not to mention that cheapy doesn't let a subject end on it's own volition rather than cutting off wombat and moving along.

In sum, I would love to see wombat as a frequent guest of the playerone podcast because I think he truly shines with CJ an Phil.

[quote name='usickenme']look at the top sellers from Cheapassgamers on Amazon and you know why the CAGcast is pro-MS and gives Nintendo the slight.[/quote]

Um...do you listen to the show? Cheapy doesn't even turn his Wii on, and hasn't done so in a long time.

Good show...

Cheapy D.. every time you mention black people, I get nervous, I keep thinking you're going to stay something stupid and piss me off... so far you haven't... (I still laugh bout the BIG ASS CHAINS, and Rims of Destiny...LOL) however, reference Boyz n the Hood, funny you say you were scared after seeing the movie, hell I was scared as well. I was so paranoid about being shot in a driveby.

Reference Wombat - I am a fan of the CAGcast I listen to it EVERY week (when you record one at least) and Wombat dedicates his day off to recording what I feel is one of the MOST important aspects of the Cheapassgamer website... the podcast. In determining Wombat's worth, I think you have to think what would the CAGcast be if Wombat decided to take his services (recording shows) elsewhere? I think that Wombat should be hired over Ship because, no one's coming here to read articles by shipwreck. My thing is... I love the show, the way it is, and I wouldn't want a situation where you (cheapy) underappreciate Wombat and he takes his services elsewhere. Ship is boring, but his wife is such a great match for him on the show, she livens it up, and TOGETHER they put forth an excellent show (which I also enjoy), and its the same situation with the Cagcast, Cheapy sometimes you're boring.. but WITH wombat TOGETHER you guys also put forth an excellent show (which I'm addicted to).

Great show as always :). Personally, Wombat, I prefer it when you offer a dissenting opinion or play devil's advocate. Like you said, if you and Cheapy always played nice and agreed on everything then it would be a rather boring show. Outside of any toilet discussion, that is.

RE5 is purposely made with tank controls. The game is built around the limitations of those controls. If you give the player more control it takes away from the suspense of the game. If you could move and shoot at the same time, it makes almost all of tension of enemies coming at you. The chainsaw enemies would become just another enemy with more HP, and would not have to be taken on differently.

I am glad that RE has tank controls, keep that gears shit to gears.

Also the SF4 boss is called Seth after the Capcom Community Manager Seth Killian.

Cheapy, I think you need to pay a little more attention when editing the show together - for this show and the previous two, Wombat's sound has slowly become out of sync with yours and it sounds like he interrupts you and then you take forever to answer. We had a similar issue with our show that made one of our episodes completely unlistenable, and so ever since we've recorded a backup with a Skype recorder, just in case.

I use PowerGramo and my co-host uses Pamela, and it makes it so much quicker to produce shows and there really isn't any drop in quality. I've gone from using the Skype recorder as a backup, to the main method of recording the show, with the individual recording as the backup instead. I'd recommend PowerGramo - it even splits the audio into left and right channels and doesn't watermark your recordings with anything, as well as allowing you to pipe music or sound effects through onto the recording/conversation if you want.

Ahhh... It's never a complete CAGcast without talking about toilets, pooping, vomiting, or rashes where the sun don't shine. Great show, guys!

Fillet Mignon is the most delicious part of a cow. Shut your mouf, Wombat, or I'll shut it for you!

With some Fillet Mignon.

[quote name='Z_meista']Ahhh... It's never a complete CAGcast without talking about toilets, pooping, vomiting, or rashes where the sun don't shine. Great show, guys![/quote]

I was really disturbed when less than 5 minutes in, there was a rash/toilet story. Probably could've done without the Tai throw-up story, too, but hey, it's what kids do.

All in all, I enjoyed the show, even with the grossness.

/tk

I knew cheapyd was going to hate on Star Ocean 4 just because of how they look. Big deal about how they look, the game itself is what matters.

I'd vastly prefer Ship over wombat. I'd prefer a more informed, substantive podcast to one where one guy never seems to know what he's talking about.

I've gotta stick up for Wombat a little here. I really enjoy listening to both Shipwreck and Wombat, and I think each of them brings something different to their respective shows. Shipwreck has a wider knowledge of games and is into a lot of stuff Cheapy and Wombat don't like, so he provides a fresh perspective. Wombat, on the other hand, has such a great overall chemistry with Cheapy that I'd really miss him if he left the show. I don't always agree with Wombat (or with Cheapy or Shipwreck, for that matter), but I definitely enjoy his presence and his point of view. I think he gets a bad rap a lot of the time just because he likes to put himself out there for the sake of making an entertaining show.

[quote name='evanft']I'd vastly prefer Ship over wombat. I'd prefer a more informed, substantive podcast to one where one guy never seems to know what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]

You are entitled to your opinion, but does your user title need to be personally hurtful? Did I do something to you to deserve that?

[quote name='Wombat']You are entitled to your opinion, but does your user title need to be personally hurtful? Did I do something to you to deserve that?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry Wombat, I haven't read anything nice posted by him.
For me, your humor is really the only reason I listen to the show.

[quote name='Wombat']You are entitled to your opinion, but does your user title need to be personally hurtful? Did I do something to you to deserve that?[/quote]

Wombat, put him on ignore. outta sight, outta mind. some people find it easy to attack others on the internets.

[quote name='evanft']I'd vastly prefer Ship over CheapyD. I'd prefer a more informed, substantive podcast to one where one guy never seems to know what he's talking about.[/quote]

Fixed.

Great show, but damn, that's two weak show titles in a row. I guess you were so dead-set on getting "Tokyo Game Show" into the title this week that you missed the obvious What Can Brown Do for You?.

Anyway, I particularly enjoyed the opening discussion comparing Cheapy and Wombat's day to day lives. As a fellow Long Islander commuting to Manhattan on a daily basis, I just wanted to say I love you, Cheapy (in the non romantic you're a cool guy and I respect what you've accomplished, think you're funny and probably a relatively cool dude, and can look past your garish appearance kind of way), but fuck you.

Wombat, we young professionals must stick together. You're the man.

More stories about anal rashes please.

I gotta say that it was good that Wombat was on Player One Podcast cuz he didn't get to say too much in this show. But the TGS stories from Cheapy were fantastic. It never gets old. Great show once again.

Btw, who knew that Cheapy was a Starcraft player? I'll take you on dude. ;)

I think the whole Shipwreck vs Wombat argument is overdone and pointless.

Wombat's a busy guy, managing to support his wife and now daughter with his jobs he's always been pretty unhappy with.

Shipwreck is happy in his job and has plenty of free time like Cheapy has mentioned, allowing him to do CAG-related stuff on the side without much of an issue.

If Wombat had a full time job at either CAG or UGO, I'm sure he'd be great in his duties because it would allow him to do something he loved while supporting his family, instead of having to fight between the two.

And that picture of all the westerners waiting for food is awesome, I spot Luke Smith, :p

This really relates to CagCast 136, never had a chance to make a comment on this.

Cheapy, you can speak for yourself and say you might not care about games such as Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment 2, Mario & Luigi RPG, or as you said it "bunch of other shit nobody cares about."

I would qualify you speaking about NHL 09 for 5 minutes in one of the earlier podcasts as "bunch of other shit nobody cares about", but according you a new yearly iteration of a hockey game is more exciting than sequels for one of the best on-rail shooters (Sin and Punishment 2), one of the better RPG franchises (Mario RPGs), and one of the best fighting game (Punch-Out, a sequel the majority of Wii owners have been waiting for).

It's fine if NHL 09 gets you more excited than these 3 games, but don't claim that the 3 games I listed are a bunch of shit nobody cares about just because you don't care about them.

Hey Cheapy just a quick correction related to one of your prior shows. SecuROM - the shitty DRM in Spore and other PC games is pronounced SECURE-ROM and not SEC-U-ROM.

bread's done
Back