Shmup News & Discussion

gunm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Since the old thread got blown away, I will insert credit, push start.

Shmups won't die! Let's talk about 2D scrolling shooters old and new here: news, tactics, your high scores. Keep it OT so we can keep it going!

I'll start with some new shmup release news!

Dodonpachi Black Label Extra has been dated for Xmas release in Japan for Xbox 360. This old school-style arcade shmup has been tweeked with smaller hit boxes, a revamped scoring system, and a new beginner's mode!

Let's hope it sees a US release next year!

Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob_yv0ZkOQI

Pre-orders finally being taken, so here is the referral link for the CAG big ass chains fund!

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-15-dodonpachi-70-3169.html

Last edited by a moderator:
funny how the Xbox 360 is suddenly become the new platform of choice for shmup. Too bad it is one of the least import friendly system ever made.

^I'd buy an Xbox 360 if Raiden Fighters Aces and Raiden IV made it to the US!

I'd also like to know more Shmups that are available for PS2, GCN, Xbox, and other old school consoles.

I'll start:
PS2
Raiden III
Castle of Shikigami II
Taito Legends 2 (G-Darius and Raystorm)

GCN
Ikaruga
Chaos Field

Xbox
Xyanide

PSone
Gekioh: Shooting King
Raystorm
Raiden Project

Super Nintendo
Raiden Trad

Genesis
Raiden Trad
Truxton
MUSHA
Biohazard Battle

Wow, there are tons across all systems and many are import-only. There may be too many to list!

Here are some more, but I know I'm missing stuff:

DC
Ikaruga
Mars Matrix
Border Down
Castle Shikigami II
Psyvariar II
Bangai-o
Trizeal
Chaos Field
Gunbird 2
Zero Gunner 2
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Twinkle Star Sprites
Radilgy
Under Defeat

Saturn
Radiant Silvergun
Batsugun
Guardian Force
Gun Frontier
Battle Garegga
Blast Wind
Metal Black
Cotton 2
Cotton Bommerang
Layer Section/Galactic Attack
Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus
Sengoku Blade
Twinkle Star Sprites
Game Tengoku
Shippu Mahou Daisakusen/Kingdom Grandprix
Hyper Duel
Thunderforce Gold Pack 1
Thunderforce Gold Pack 2
Soukyugurentai
Shienryu
Gunbird
Konami’s Deluxe Packs (Gradius, Salamander, Parodius and Twinbee)
Chatting Parodius
Sexy Parodius
Strikers 1945 (?)
Image Fight/X-Multiply
Thunder Force V
Darius Gaiden
In the Hunt

PlayStation
Raiden Project
Raiden DX
Gradius Gaiden
Harmful Park
Toaplan Shooting Battle vol. 1 (Kyukyoku Tiger)
R-Types
R-Type Delta
Cotton Original
Cotton 100%
Gatchaman
Einhander
G-Darius
Night Raid
Nichibitsu Arcade Classics
Philosoma
RayCrisis
Vacuum Kids
Zanac X Zanac
X2
Dragon Spirit (Namco Museum)
Dragon Sabre (Namco Museum)
Ordyne (Namco Museum)
DonPachi
DoDonPachi
Strikers 1945 II
RayStorm (?)
Kaitei Daisensou/In The Hunt
Sonic Wings Special

PlayStation 2
Homura
Psyvariar (diff versions)
Ibara
Espgaluda
R-type Final
Gradius V

And here's a video of R-Type Dimensions coming soon for XBLA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgSdQ8JUrX8

New release date for Otomedius G, the (currently) Japan-only 360 shooter from Konami, is November 20th.

Makes me want a Japan 360. :p

^^^ very nice. i am sold.

i play shmups all the time. but since the decline of arcades in america, i've always wondered which shmups i never got to play. the only way to play them now is through mame (omg i didnt just say that word!).

i would really love to play radiant silvergun again. i only had 1 chance to play that and i remember that one of the buttons wasnt working so it was hard as hell. i would like to see it ported on the 360 or psn. but i wouldn't mind buying it on the psp as well.

did anyone play R-Type Command on the psp? if so how is it? i've always wanted to pick it up.

Did you guys see the Play-Asia e-mail? There is gonna be another new Dreamcast SHMUP : http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-x-49-en-70-31fr.html

Doesn't look like anything too fancy, but still very cool and decently priced. I will likely pick this up at that price if I hear decent things about it.

Edit : Speaking of Play-Asia, did anyone here try out that Soldner-X game? That game looked pretty cool and considering it was for the PC, it was also unique in that sense.

And now that I am on the topic of PC SHMUPS, has anyone played Raptor: Call of the Shadows? It is an old DOS era game, it was one of my favorites and the first SHMUP I ever played. The cool element in it was the fact that you upgraded after each mission by buying equipment. I am sure you can find it anywhere now, as it is considered abandonware.

well its nice to see a thread like this on these forums...

Only Cave game i've been playing on my cabinet is ESPGaluda, I hit stage 5 couple days ago top score is 18.6 million.

Currently looking for Deathsmiles on the 360 since I cant really afford the pcb@ $1000

btw R-Type Command is a SRPG.

Now I really hope that some of those Xbox 360 games will get a PS3 release.

I wish the third parties in Japan didn't stop putting them on DC. I don't know if there are any recently produced Naomi shooters that didn't get ported though.

Adorable but... I dunno, seems pointless and hard to see the enemy shots.

I'm tempted to go on a shooter buying frenzy. Unfortunately to really get the stuff I'm interested in, I'd also have to go on a Japanese 360 console buying frenzy and there's no way I can afford that at the moment.

Meh, I don't care for Milestone's recent shmups. I do have Radilgy for DC, though. :/

I need to make an otomedius, sengoku, or triggerheart LBP level. Although I'm sure someone made it already.

Those 360 shmups need to get released in the US. I'd buy them all.

I played the Raiden Fighters Aces demo that's on the 360 JPN XBLM. It's pretty sweet.

Come on, bring this shit out here somebody!! :pray:

Quick impressions of Ketsui DS: the controls are quite responsive, but considering how small the DS d-pad is, some may find it awkward or difficult at first. The framerate is quite good considering the amount of moving objects on screen at any given time. While the graphics are good for this type of game, I have to say that staring at the small screen tires my eyes pretty quickly and certain enemy bullets are just too small to see at times, often getting lost among other larger bullet patterns.

And as far as the bullet patterns go, it's pretty intense--there are a number of different spreads and there is a pretty heady mix of homing and non-homing shots to avoid.

Luckily the hit box seems to be right in line with the bullet hell theme, and you never feel like a hit was undeserved, beyond the smaller bullets which are simply just too hard to see.

There is a good selection of modes from training stages, to wifi multiplayer (which I haven't tried), to multiple difficulties that need to be unlocked.

There are only boss/mini-boss fights, which does detract from potential long term playability (IMO) as it just doesn't feel like a fully fleshed out game without the buildup between lesser enemies and end-level ones, but given the limitations of the hardware, I can see why this was done.

Overall, though, there really isn't anything like this out on DS, so if you're a 2D scrolling shooter fan, I'd recommend giving this one a shot. My copy came with a "SuperPlay" DVD bundled in as part of the retail package, so it's not too bad of a value, either.

OK - dumb question that has been covered many times probably..... is there any way to play Raiden IV or Raiden Fighters on a US Xbox360? Is there anything like the Freeloader disc for the 360?

If not, anyone know a place to get a cheap Japanese 360?

There are, but we can't discuss that kind of thing here. Me personally, I'll just get an import 360. Death Smiles! Otomedius! So many cool shmups I doubt we'll see here soon.

Has anyone played Soldner X for the PC? Im thinking about the ps3 version, but havent heard much info.

My faves are:
Gradius V
R-Type
U.N. Squadron (snes version)

[quote name='limelight022']Has anyone played Soldner X for the PC? Im thinking about the ps3 version, but havent heard much info. [/quote]

Here's a review.

From what I was hearing, the game wasn't all that great... incredibly short, even by shooter standards, and not all that exciting.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Those 360 shmups need to get released in the US. I'd buy them all.

I played the Raiden Fighters Aces demo that's on the 360 JPN XBLM. It's pretty sweet.

Come on, bring this shit out here somebody!! :pray:[/QUOTE]

Give it up, it's too "Japanese" for the American market. note the parathesis for tongue in cheek due to MS's douchebaggy explanation for not bringing "Magatama" out here during the era of the Xbox.
Just give it up and buy a Japanese 360. Accept that MS and 3rd parties more then anything expect you to fap heavy to Halo and it's ilk like the PC Johnny come latelys did that heavily bought the Xbox to begin with. Once you accept that you'll realize MS won't go too Japanese in our market while Sony didn't care AS MUCH about that.

No thanks. I like my space ships going more than 3 miles per hour. A paraplegic could fuckin' sprint faster than that game.

[quote name='Chacrana']No thanks. I like my space ships going more than 3 miles per hour. A paraplegic could fuckin' sprint faster than that game.[/QUOTE]

You can turn up your movement speed. . .

I love the R Type series, so I'm hyped.

NCSX and Play-Asia have opened pre-orders for Shooting Love 200X for Xbox 360, a compilation of Triange Service PS2 / Dreamcast shooters Exzeal and Trizeal.

Unless Microsoft reverses it's stance on these games, I'm pretty much inline to import a Japan 360 soon.

[quote name='gunm']NCSX and Play-Asia have opened pre-orders for Shooting Love 200X for Xbox 360, a compilation of Triange Service PS2 / Dreamcast shooters Exzeal and Trizeal.

Unless Microsoft reverses it's stance on these games, I'm pretty much inline to import a Japan 360 soon.[/QUOTE]

You might as well. All the Japanese exclusives plus the same American games cheaper?! It's a no lose situation except for Culdcept Saga and Bullet Witch.

Shoot, I just found this thread. I'd been kicking around the idea of getting a 360 for Donpachi, or Raiden 4. What ultimately discouraged me though was the fact that they're imports, and the 360's not-so-stellar reliability reputation. I've got no qualms getting a Japanese system, or doing an import mod, but I don't want to be stuck a year later with a RRoD and no warranty to fix it.

I'll be picking a JPN 360 up prolly spring next year. As long as it has the HDMI ports, I'm guessing it'll be ok. Only going to do the barebones model.

Next PA sale, I'll grab what I can of the available 360 shmups.

Dangit, I just might buy a Japanese 360 too. Haha, in the meantime I guess I can start picking up the software I want.

gunm, do HDMI ports indicate a newer model which is (hopefully) less likely to RRoD?

[quote name='yayece']Dangit, I just might buy a Japanese 360 too. Haha, in the meantime I guess I can start picking up the software I want.

gunm, do HDMI ports indicate a newer model which is (hopefully) less likely to RRoD?[/quote]

In theory, yes. The HDMI models do have newer chipsets which allegedly improve heat dissipation, but I've heard of HDMI models RRoD'ing too.

I really don't have any experience on the Japanese models beyond what Cheapyd has been reporting with his.

bread's done
Back