Astro Tripper - From the guys behind Mutant Storm - Out Now - $4.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/17/more-shmup-action-hits-psn-astro-tripper/

All of a sudden, it appears many independent studios are ready to show off their PSN exclusive goods. PomPom Games has revealed a PSN shoot-em-up called Astro Tripper. Once again, this is a retro-styled arcade game in the style of other horizontal side-scrolling shooters. According to the official site, the game will promise "UFOS. Fat Motherships. Tanks. Choppers. Slimy Slug creatures. Alien Insects. Aztec structures brimming with electricity. And of course, Big Bosses!"

This PSN release is scheduled to release "soon" (whatever that means), and will feature 1080p graphics, online leaderboards, and Trophy support.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41656.html

Looks interesting. It seems that these are the same guys that did both Mutant Storm games on XBLA, which I've never played but have heard good things about them.

I got a code for this and have played a bit. It's a bit different than I thought it would be since it's not a dual-stick shooter. You can only shoot left and right as you flip the ship over with the circle button while moving around what's basically an arena until you've killed all of the enemies, which pretty much appear in waves.

I knew that the Mutant Storm guys made this so I downloaded the demos for both of the XBLA games and they're very similar. The MS games are dual-stick shooters and each of the levels aren't as long, but they still feel quite alike. It's also hard, too. I haven't beat the training levels yet on three tries on normal and easy difficulties, so it'll take some time to get decent at the game.

I'm actually pretty happy with this game. I've been playing through on easiest and keep getting stuck at the boss on the third level.

I was persuaded into this even though I'm not a shooter fan, but it's pretty enjoyable. Short, sweet and hard, I definitely recommend for $5. The best part? XMB Music :D

Has anyone gotten the tank sympathizer trophy yet?

I got all the trophies in one play.
Or maybe I went back to it the next day.

They're not hard, 1 hour of playtime I suppose.

Great game and five bucks was just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm enjoying it... it's not that easy or i just suck?

question dallow, how do you make the damn spider open the mouth? i'm trying to kill it w/o destroying the mini-guns, but the damn spider just won't open its mouth!

I should clarify that the game itself is not that easy, but the trophies are.

The spider, just hang out in front of it avoiding the shots until it opens it's mouth.
Shoot fast and dodge the quick shots from it's mouth, and repeat (you'll have to move to the other side)

bread's done
Back