Sony Sees 10-Year Life for PlayStation 2 Console

That'd be great if they could start a trend like that. Give another five years to the hardware development cycle, and allow dev companies more time with the dev kits prior to system launch.

It would save everyone money in the long run.

Consumers would only need to spend $200-300 every 10 years, pro-rated to a mere $20-30 a year. Very manageable compared to $40-50. Games in the second half of the console life cycle would take full advantage of the hardware, and provide for more innovation in game design.

Developers, having more time to develop engines for their software, would have more time to re-use and improve upon said engines. That would lower their development costs, and give them leeway for a longer development cycle at a lower cost.

[quote name='WildWop']That'd be great if they could start a trend like that. Give another five years to the hardware development cycle, and allow dev companies more time with the dev kits prior to system launch.

It would save everyone money in the long run.

Consumers would only need to spend $200-300 every 10 years, pro-rated to a mere $20-30 a year. Very manageable compared to $40-50. Games in the second half of the console life cycle would take full advantage of the hardware, and provide for more innovation in game design.

Developers, having more time to develop engines for their software, would have more time to re-use and improve upon said engines. That would lower their development costs, and give them leeway for a longer development cycle at a lower cost.[/quote]

Only problem is then the console market would die. The PC is always advancing

It doesnt mean PS3 will come out in 2010, they just intend to manufacture PS2 till 2010. Its now 2004 and PSOne still is being manufactured despite being released 9 yrs ago.

That sounds excellent to me. And since most consoles lose money, or at least at aren't high profit margin, for the manufacturer, in the long run that will help them also. Actually, that would help with that too, because you wouldn't see the 'near-the-end-of-lifecycle' pricedrops that we do.
That's something that led to Sega's downfall as a console manufacturer, I believe--too many consoles too quickly, at too high a price point. Only the fan/fanatical kept them in business, and even that wasn't enough.

Even if the PS3 is not delayed till then, if Sony and developers still supported it, it would still be good for the average consumer and the industry.

And I don't think consoles as a whole are really going to be threatened too much by the PC. PC's are definitely getting more affordable, but a console is still cheaper initially; also, there's the huge mental linkage of 'PC:eek:ffice::console:living room.'. Especially now that consoles are offering a lot of things that only PCs formerly offered, like online gaming, use of broadband, and the interactivity offered by things like the Eyetoy and microphone-using games.
Plus, PC's lifecycle is shorter; what I mean is, that gaming requirements move a lot faster in PC than console world. My computer is maybe two-3 years old, and it's virtually defunct.
And PC's, while a lot more stable and userfriendly, still have the perception of being incompatible and having high requirements for gaming.
I like PC's, and there are certainly some excellent games on the pc, but I don't think the console market as a whole is going to be very threatened by the PC.

I can see this happining. After all, the PSX is still being manufactured, and occasionally games are being released for it, and its more then three years after the PS2 has launched.
Also, its possible that they will discontinue the PSX when the PS3 is released, and if its not backwards compatible then Im sure atleast some people will want the PS2 for its ability to play Playstaion games.
I just hope Sony never stops manufacturing PSX memory cards, or atleast releases somesort of patch that allows you to save a Playstaion game directly to a PS2 memory card in game.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I can see this happining. After all, the PSX is still being manufactured, and occasionally games are being released for it, and its more then three years after the PS2 has launched.
Also, its possible that they will discontinue the PSX when the PS3 is released, and if its not backwards compatible then Im sure atleast some people will want the PS2 for its ability to play Playstaion games.
I just hope Sony never stops manufacturing PSX memory cards, or atleast releases somesort of patch that allows you to save a Playstaion game directly to a PS2 memory card in game.[/quote]

Just buy a bunch of cheap PSone memory cards when they go cheap.

That would really suck if the PS3 isn't PS2 compatible. The PS2 may continue to 2008, but the last five years will be crap - budget titles, inferior sports ports, and little kid games, like all the new PSOne games are now.

Are you callin Austin Powers Pinball crap? oh wait. i guess so. yeah.

well, at least I know this means there will be a Jak XIII

i didnt think the ps2 would just 'die off' like the n64 did, every major department/video gamestore still sells psones andgames for them, thats quite the acheivment, its nice to see sony being reasonable unlike microsoft, who is alegedly putting out theirnext console next year

I can only assume this is Sony's response to Xbox 2 screen/render shots. I mean PS2 games are already graphically holding back the console game industry. If they think this will last another 6 years, they are kidding themselves.

Lets hope the software support is still strong on PS2 in its last years and during the time the PS3 gains momentum. Many people enjoy playstation 1 games and would still support them more if they didn't negelect the hardware as soon as the ps2 was ready. Plus PS2 has stronger roots where if games are still being made steadily it will have the longest shelf life of all consoles.

The gamecube is dying out and not even a price cut from xbox can save either of these system sfrom the 4-6 yr life cycle. Propz goes out to PS2, 1st of the next gen consoles to come out and most likely the last to leave!

Games2003 8)

Personally I would think the PS3 would have to be backwards compatible for the PS2 to stay alive that long into the next generation.

Could be wrong. I'm hoping it is backwards compatible, as I'd be able to check out a bunch of PS2 games I've missed out on so far. Still by the time the PS3 is out and cheap enough for me to consider picking up the PS2 will probably be dirt cheap, so it may not matter a whole lot anyway.

[quote name='repetske']I can only assume this is Sony's response to Xbox 2 screen/render shots. I mean PS2 games are already graphically holding back the console game industry. If they think this will last another 6 years, they are kidding themselves.[/quote]

how do graphics hold back games?

[quote name='Scrubking']It could mean that the PS3 isn't going to be backwards compatible. Hmmm.[/quote]

Sounds like that would be the case.

didnt sony already announce that ps3 would be backwards all the way to psone?

if its not backwards compatable, its not a big strike against it, but if it is, im definetly gunna buy one, if its not, ill asses the situation when i see the support it gets

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='repetske']I can only assume this is Sony's response to Xbox 2 screen/render shots. I mean PS2 games are already graphically holding back the console game industry. If they think this will last another 6 years, they are kidding themselves.[/quote]

how do graphics hold back games?[/quote]

I cn understand the fact that most companies are programming for the more popular console, then porting it to the lesser selling consoles with only slightly updated graphics/options. THAT is holding back graphics on GC and Xbox from certain groups...but take a look see at Metroid Prime, RE4, Halo, Ninja Gaiden or even voodoo vince. GREAT looking games.

And to completely obliterate any point you had, repetske, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo 4. If those are the games holding back the Industry...

I think this is a somewhat misleading. I mean, you can say that PSOnes are still selling 10 years later. Just because it continues to sell doesn't mean that its predecessor won't see daylight for that log.

now every one rember that just because it will have a 10 year life span doesn't mean that they won't come out wih another system. ps1 stayed alive

[quote name='DreamSymphony']And how many ps2 consoles will one go through in this 10 year span? :)[/quote]

With my terrible luck its been a new PS2 every year, so for me that would be 10 ps2's over ten years... god I hate sony. :evil:

Sony is correct! My want list includes a dozez or so SNES and NES games. Not to mention I lust for a Boxed complete NES... I better stop it I might get myself a woody. Final Fantasy still available for sale 10 years later practically puts fleaBay out of business.

bread's done
Back