Arcade stick recommendations?

fmarxnge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
What should I buy? I was seriously thinking about getting an X-Arcade, but I read that it has some delay from when you push the button to what actually shows on the monitor.

Also the new Street Fighter Anniversary looks pretty neat, but I heard that the joystick gets stuck and some other small complaints.

Custom built ones are best I hear, but I really don't want to spend too much buying one. Where's the best place to get them from cause shoryuken.com is not working for me.

Any other recommendations for a beginner?

btw this is meant to play ggx2 and sfae

People who bitch about the X-Arcade are probably doing so after using it online so of course they are going to get some delay. Other than that it should work well.

But I still think the SFA Joystick is an even better value since you won't have to buy an adapter for an extra $20. And I can't imagine the parts being that much worse.

If you willing to spend a little more than the SFA joystick but less than an X-Arcade you can also try one of those Hori ones like the Hori Real Arcade Pro.

To each his own, but I love the heavy duty construction and the arcade-grade parts. No MDF on this baby, I'm talking heavy plastic and metal!!

custom built man. that's what I did.

I made it for PS2 but I got a dreamcast adapter to play 3S with. I originally made it for GGX2 but now I use it for VF4 Evo.

the hardest part was the woodwork, soo.... I went on ebay and bought a box:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3677&item=5154593679&rd=1

dont buy that one tho... too expensive >_<

after that I bought buttons and a stick from some site, I forget but I can look for the link later

then bought a cheap 3rd party controller for like 5 bucks

gave everything to my friend, and that soldering mod-chipping whiz hooked me up! All I had to do was spend like $60!

I wish I can take a picture to show but I dont got a camera. waiting for woot.com to post a good one!

[quote name='tinman_licks']Has anyone tried Pelican's Universal Arcade Stick? It's supposed to work on all 3 systems. And it's only $40 at Gamestop.[/quote]just swap out the buttons for Happs - no modding necessary, the holes are the same size

best ones are the sticks you make yourself, the buttons *you* want, the button layout *you* want, etc

[quote name='Richter'][quote name='tinman_licks']Has anyone tried Pelican's Universal Arcade Stick? It's supposed to work on all 3 systems. And it's only $40 at Gamestop.[/quote]just swap out the buttons for Happs - no modding necessary, the holes are the same size

best ones are the sticks you make yourself, the buttons *you* want, the button layout *you* want, etc[/quote]

you've done this! cool i'm going to think about this maybe some google..

i always wanted a controller . anyone wanna make one for me. make it 4 ps2 for me i already got a converter it it works on gc an xbox, i have a shit lload of fighting games
ggx2 reloaded
ggx
marvel vs. capcom 2
sf alpha 3
sf anniversary
soul caliber 2
all 3 sf 3 for dc
so does anyone want to make one for me ill paypal the money

the buttons on that stick look a little stiff but u may get used to them.

it's the actual control stick that looks bad,

first, it looks like it could break.

second, if you're using it to play SF, doing things like crouching mk XX super with Ken may be hella difficult.

finally, Guilty Gear looks impossible with that.

also, the american standard for sticks is more straight-ish, not ball shaped. In Japan they use ball top but many of them also hold the stick different than we do (some cup their hand underneath it. it's weird)

buuuuuuut.... at $20 you get what u pay for I guess

EDIT:

I think I useta read somewhere (shoryuken.com I believe) ppl were getting red octane sticks and switching the stick part out for P360's.

http://redoctane.com/redoctanearcadestick.html

the buttons look kinda far for me... I'm not sure if it is something I would notice during actual gameplay but when I play games I use the buttons closest to the stick. I adjust to arcades without a problem

EDIT2:

one good thing about the stick u posted tho... convex buttons.

concave buttons will screw you... especially in a game like MVC2, u can prolly get blisters using Magneto

[quote name='tinman_licks']Has anyone tried Pelican's Universal Arcade Stick? It's supposed to work on all 3 systems. And it's only $40 at Gamestop.[/quote]

i'd like to know about this one as well

c'mon guys enough silly t.v. show talk

We're cheap ass gamers!

the stick i own is a Red Octane case. however, i shoved dowels into the existing holes and drilled out my own. Use a Sanwa stick & buttons

Happ p369s joysticks are nice but are damn expensive

just avoid the concave buttons x.x

[quote name='Richter']the stick i own is a Red Octane case. however, i shoved dowels into the existing holes and drilled out my own. Use a Sanwa stick & buttons

Happ p369s joysticks are nice but are damn expensive

just avoid the concave buttons x.x[/quote]

this is probably the cheapest best way to do it.

[quote name='polaricecaves'][quote name='tinman_licks']Has anyone tried Pelican's Universal Arcade Stick? It's supposed to work on all 3 systems. And it's only $40 at Gamestop.[/quote]

i'd like to know about this one as well

c'mon guys enough silly t.v. show talk

We're cheap ass gamers![/quote]

I had one... Key word: HAD

It seemed like a great investment at the time but after trying about 7 fighting games on both PS2 and Xbox, I returned it because it seems to not be as responsive as most other sticks., Plus ithe buttons seem to sick and it wasn't cutting it for me.

I have the Namco Arcade stick RisingZan posted about. I love it. However, I mainly play the Tekken series. I have played a little bit of Street Fighter Alpha with it and it seemed fine. The main problem is that the stick is long out of production and Ebay is the only way to get it. It was well worth the effort for me.

I was originally looking at the Red Octane stick, but I have read so many complaints about their other products that I had a hard time bringing myself to give them money. I read a review of the stick that gave me the impression the stick was mediocre. One funny complaint was that the plexiglass on the top of the case was sharp and hurt the reviewer's wrists.

MAS sticks hurt your wrists too for some reason...

they look hella cool, but theyre too big

so your wrists end up leaning against them...

and what is a sanwa stick and button??? never heard...

if p360s are expensive, get a competition or ultimate joystick. thats what I did.

I got the competition, but the stick wasnt stiff at all, so I bought a hard spring from someone at shoryuken.com and jus replaced the spring.

works out fine

I bought 4 Pelican universal arcade sticks and switched out the sticks and buttons with Happ Competition parts. I think that the layout on this stick is perfect. Just the right distances and sweep on the buttons. Then again, I have large hands. Another thing I did was to put a rubber mat on the bottom of the housing, so that the stick doesn't slide around when you are using it on a table. Also, you need to get extension cords for the cable, they are only like 4 feet long. I've never had any problems with delay. The microswitches from the original controls I took out were sub-standard, real cheap crap and easily worn out. I don't know what the $40 versions are like, they look different from the $60 versions I bought 1+ years ago. I am willing to bet that the SFAE stick has the same crappy internals as the Pelican arcade stick. I will say that convex buttons are the best though. Easy on the fingers. :D

As for the cheap Pelican universal available at Wal-Mart, they are horrible to play with. The stick and buttons are just poor. But the internal circuit board is easy to work with if you want to create your own joystick.

The Red Octane case is too small, in my opinion. Not enough room for an 8-button layout, and very little space to put your circuit board. And the construction is cheesy, it's mostly held together with hot glue. I hate the plexiglass top, and the red trim on them is this cheap plastic tape that comes off easily. I bought 4 of them for like $25 each, before I found the Pelicans. I mostly use 2 of them for testing new circuit boards, and 2 of them I made into permanent Dreamcast fighting sticks complete with VMUs showing through the case.

I think the X-Arcade sticks are just too expensive, what with all the adapters you have to buy. Plus they don't have enough buttons and a bad layout.

I have no idea about the Nuby or Namco sticks. But, I pretty much believe that if a stick doesn't have true arcade controls in it, it is not worth it.

I make my own sticks now, and just use the controller boards from cheap sticks or controllers. It's not cheap to make your own sticks, but in the long run you have something that will last you for years.

well i've decided to get a custom made stick from someone on shoryuken with the sanwa balltop sticks and buttons. it's gonna cost a lot but i think it's worth it

[quote name='JEKKI']MAS sticks hurt your wrists too for some reason...

they look hella cool, but theyre too big

so your wrists end up leaning against them...

and what is a sanwa stick and button??? never heard...

if p360s are expensive, get a competition or ultimate joystick. thats what I did.

I got the competition, but the stick wasnt stiff at all, so I bought a hard spring from someone at shoryuken.com and jus replaced the spring.

works out fine[/quote]

about 10 years ago, before the big boys (CC, BB, TRU) killed the competition, i used to work at a videogame store. we kicked the industries ass. we made custom arcade controllers and then started buying them from MAS (which i'm surprised somebody knows about them and they are still around) and they were great. the guys from MAS (some phillipino guys) used to come and have us test their prototypes out. back then they were rather expensive about $75 retail. well, those kicked ass. i've used the pelican and have to say that for the money and compatability on all 3 major systems, pretty damn good. but i havn't seriously played hard on it on fighting games like before, back in the days. i used it to play my fighting games that i have and my mame games on mameox. pretty good. i guess for $20 more and what other CAG's are saying, you could have a better one. but i'll keep my $20 for now.

peace! easy on the hair grease! :lol:

[quote name='fmarxnge']well i've decided to get a custom made stick from someone on shoryuken with the sanwa balltop sticks and buttons. it's gonna cost a lot but i think it's worth it[/quote]

is df making your stick? because he's good... i got a couple sticks from him.

ya how, we should post pics of our sticks

Jekki-
Sanwa parts are what's in JP cabs, even used in the Agetec DC joystick. It's pretty much US cabs = Happ, JP cabs = Sanwa

[quote name='kristianator'][quote name='fmarxnge']well i've decided to get a custom made stick from someone on shoryuken with the sanwa balltop sticks and buttons. it's gonna cost a lot but i think it's worth it[/quote]

is df making your stick? because he's good... i got a couple sticks from him.[/quote]

well dfist is my second choice if darkside doesnt get around making mine. either way, they're both really good from what i've heard so it doesnt really matter.

[quote name='Richter']ya how, we should post pics of our sticks

Jekki-
Sanwa parts are what's in JP cabs, even used in the Agetec DC joystick. It's pretty much US cabs = Happ, JP cabs = Sanwa[/quote]
what do Koreans use?? u kno?

my friend who hella plays Tekken told me theyre real good. I think I read somewhere they use rubber in the stick instead of a spring.

I just about finally finished my home made arcade cabinet and ended up using a Slikstk, although it was a bit expensive. I mounted an XBox in the cabinet, as well as a PC. SlikStik now offers official XBox supprt for all its controllers, although the adapters are not yet available. I will post images of my creation in the next couple of days.

The Slikstik controller I used - http://www.slikstik.com/detail.aspx?ID=6

Korean sticks vary.

There are several types. Fanta (Taeyoung/Myoungshin), Crown (which use leaf switches), etc... They are really good though.

The Mayflash arcade stick is the same as the Elecom arcade stick that came out awhile back. It's OK, considering the price. But it's not really that great of an arcade stick. Remember, you get what you pay for.

I have some information on SOME sticks at my site, will probably update it in the next few weeks.

www.sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks

Rock. I'll check that out. I'm trying to get one of the Hori Tekken 5 Sticks from a friend who claims to have one in storage and doesn't have a PS2 anymore...but I'm not holding my breath. I'm also watching a few on ebay...I passed on one of the Tekken 5 bundles about 6 months ago for $30 new at a gamestop because I was short on cash, and I'm kicking myself every day for not charging it.

In the end, I'm probably going to end up spending $50+ for one on ebay...unless I happen to run across one in a used store.

[quote name='Ronin317']In the end, I'm probably going to end up spending $50+ for one on ebay...unless I happen to run across one in a used store.[/quote]

If you'd like one for $45 shipped, let me know. I've had it sitting around for awhile & looking dump it since I've gotten rid of all the games that support it.

[quote name='fmarxnge']well dfist is my second choice if darkside doesnt get around making mine. either way, they're both really good from what i've heard so it doesnt really matter.[/QUOTE]

I thought DFist retired from stick making?

So, what's affordable and not so hard to find as far as PS2 fighting/arcade sticks go and doesn't require customization? Shame the quality ones aren't in production for so long. Hence, my spending spree on getting arcade sticks for the 360, PS3, and Wii now.

Which actual brings me to a question... Does the Hori PS3 Arcade Stick work well with PS2 games in backwards compatibility mode?

[quote name='imacgod']So, what's affordable and not so hard to find as far as PS2 fighting/arcade sticks go and doesn't require customization? Shame the quality ones aren't in production for so long. Hence, my spending spree on getting arcade sticks for the 360, PS3, and Wii now.

Which actual brings me to a question... Does the Hori PS3 Arcade Stick work well with PS2 games in backwards compatibility mode?[/QUOTE]

Not cheap. About 49.90 a piece. I just bought two of them. One for me, the other for when people come over. They aren't professional arcade sticks but they sure feel nice......a lot better then most of those pieces of shit Interact and Pelican sticks that gamestop sells.....

PA.06166.001.jpg

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-4ra.html

bread's done
Back