Burn Zombie Burn - Out Now- $9.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/24/burn-zombie-burn-coming-to-psn-in-early-2009/

burnzombieburnimage241008425.jpg
Doublesix has today announced a new upcoming PSN game called Burn Zombie Burn. Available in early Q1 2009, Burn Zombie Burn is a cartoony arcade shooter which sees you, Bruce, fighting off the undead masses. The emphasis seems to be placed on building up a high score (as all arcade games should). Multipliers are achieved for setting zombies on fire, but doing so also makes them run faster.

The game will have several different game modes, lots of weapons, eight different types of zombies and two-player co-op and versus modes. No indication as to whether these will be online or offline, though. Doublesix has sought to create addictive, "just one more go" gameplay coupled with funny zombie humor. We'll no doubt see more of the game before its release early next year.
By looking at their site, I found out these guys are behind the XBLA South Park game and made Geometry Wars: Galaxies along with a fun flash game on the bottom of their homepage.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/07/burn-zombie-burn-eating-psn-next-year/

Burn Zombie Burn! is a new PSN game releasing early Q1 2009. From the looks of things, it appears to be another dual-analog shooter. But don't expect giant asteroids, bacteria, or aliens -- this one's all about zombies. You play Joe, an average dude looking to spend some "quality time" with his girlfriend Daisy. Unfortunately, things take a turn for the worse when a zombie invasion takes over their quaint American town. Don't you HATE it when that happens???

Thankfully, Joe will have a wide assortment of tools to take care of the zombie menace. Fire builds up the multiplier, important if you wan to compete on the online leaderboards. The title appears to support 1080p visuals, and will also include PSN Trophy support. (List of Trophies here.) Check out the new trailer and screenshots here.
Some more info on the game, like 1080p graphics, trophies, and story details. Sounds like Monster Madness, but could be much better as a cheaper PSN game.

Any release date specified yet? I mean.. it IS early 1st quarter 2009 ;-)

Can't go wrong killing and burning zombies!

[quote name='jgb1503']Any release date specified yet? I mean.. it IS early 1st quarter 2009 ;-)

Can't go wrong killing and burning zombies![/quote]
Nope, just the vague early 2009.

What's the connection between this and Cash Guns Chaos?

[quote name='Arakias']What does everyone have against zombies?[/quote]

Because it's politcally incorrect to kill Blacks, Jews, or Mexicans in a video game.

You can only kill Nazis, Commies, Aliens, and Zombies.

[quote name='jgb1503']What if its a black jewish immigrant zombie?[/quote]

You just made Rush Limbaugh and Lou Dobbs cream in their pants.

I hope there's more to it then what's shown. It looks fun but only to play a few times. Maybe some online coop or something.

The lawnmower is a nice touch.

http://kotaku.com/5169612/burn-zombie-burn-it-is-what-it-sounds-like

Kotaku has some impressions on this game:

Typically, Friday the 13th is a day reserved for black cats, bad luck and Jason Voorhees. But this year, in which we get three Friday the 13ths, I'm willing to make an exception for zombies.

Actually, there's been a lot of zombie this month. Between Burn Zombie Burn!, the Resident Evil 5 release and a preview of Call of Duty: World at War's upcoming zombie map (more when the embargo expires next week), I've seen just about every type of undead you can image: fast, slow, exploding, Nazi, ballerina and — of course — flaming.

Burn Zombie Burn is one of those games that sells itself in the title. If you really have to ask what the game is about, you should probably get your reading comprehension checked. The only thing you might not know from reading the title is that it's a PlayStation Network exclusive. Which is too bad, because if there was ever a game with enough zombies to go around — Left 4 Dead notwithstanding— this is it.

What Is It?

Burn Zombie Burn is a PSN game from developer DoubleSix. The game almost didn't make it to release on account of the original publisher going under - but, like the undead, you just can't keep a good game down.

What We Saw

The game has a grand total of six maps and three different modes playable on each. I saw them all in various combinations and played Secret Lab, Graveyard and Army Base in Challenge and Arcade modes. Gamer beware: in the retail release, you'll have to unlock each level one at a time using the different modes.

How Far Along Is it?

Burn Zombie Burn hits PSN March 26 at $9.99. Aside from everything being unlocked in this build, it's pretty much final.

What Needs Improvement?

The control scheme: It's a weird thing when the controls seem more complicated than the gameplay. DoubleSix Creative Director Jim Mummery (awesome surname) explained that they'd originally wanted to map the controls like any other arcade shooter, using both analog sticks for movement and aiming. However, this made switching between the various weapons way too difficult, and so they settled on a system where different buttons control strafing, shoot-at-nearest-target and the default torch weapon you use to burn zombies. Once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad - but the temptation to mash on the right stick is a hard habit to break.

The wordy-as-hell tutorial: It's cute that they call it Zombie Academy; but it gets old fast when you've got to click through line after line of text explaining the various ways you can set zombies aflame. I'll cut them some slack because this is a downloadable game where you can't page through a physical manual; but I don't doubt that they attached a Trophy to completing the tutorial as a way to make up for how tedious the whole thing is.

Big Red Button payoffs: Each level has a Big Red Button that you can press after a certain number of kills. Pressing the button brings down an environmental hazard to the zombies - like helicopters dropping bombs on them or rain that slows them down. But what the buttons do didn't seem dramatic enough to make me want to work for button presses.

You can't really "clear" a level: You play 'til you run out of lives and advance to the next level based on how many zombies you killed before you died. I would have loved this if I were still a kid in an arcade with a limited number of quarters - but as an adult who wants a sense of satisfaction, I want to see some proof that all my burning of zombies has made the world a better place.

What Should Stay The Same?

Good, ol' fashioned zombie burning: The game delivers what it promises - a mindless zombie-torching spree worthy of any arcade shooter ever.

Split-screen co-op: Because you want to turn and punch the guy who stole your health pickup, not just yell at him over team chat. Oh, and best moment of my hands-on? I had one gigantic horde of fiery zombies chasing after me, Mummery had another, we smacked into each other mid-map over a stick a dynamite. The explosion killed us alright, but the score counter was through the roof.

Lots of Trophies and unlockables: Because what else are PSN games for?

Bring on the horde: This game has a max zombie cap of 120 on screen at any one time. That's the way it ought to be with zombie games; totally overwhelming and really amazing to watch if you blow them all up at once. You hear that, Chop 'Til You Drop? MORE ZOMBIES.

Layers of strategy: The map layouts, the modes and the various weapons all combine to add an element of strategy to Burn Zombie Burn that I wasn't expecting. For example, you get a score multiplier for each zombie that's on fire, but they die when on fire for longer than six seconds. Ergo, to get the highest score, you wanna torch 'em, run to a wide open space and then blow them all up at once. But! If you're playing Defend Daisy mode (where your girlfriend is hanging out in a Cadillac mid-level), you can't blow them up if they're too close to Daisy, because she'll take damage. So you've got to work with your weapons (like the brain gun) to lure them away, set them on fire and then blow them up. Word of caution — watch out for choke points where fast-moving ballerina zombies can box you in.

Homage where homage is due: This is a game made by people who love zombie films. Lots of little details are homages to films we all know, love and have played video game adaptations of (the Army of Darkness chainsaw and the Shaun of the Dead cricket bat, for example). The main hero is even loosely modeled after Bruce Campbell, minus some IQ points.

The music: Mummery called it "Green Day meets Theremin" and I totally dig it.

Final Thoughts

Zombie means "mindless" right? So it's fitting that Burn Zombie Burn is mindless fun. Still, after Flower, I wonder if people will be expecting something a little more high brow from PSN games. If not, this game will stand as everything right and true about PSN games. If so, Burn Zombie Burn will wind up at the bottom of download barrel.

you can improve alot of games by adding zombies.gta4 would have been awesome with zombies or at least more interesting.

Played for like 5 mins last night. Seems like it could get repetitive on SP, but also looks like it could be awesome with some local co-cop action. Shame there doesn't seem to be any online MP.

[quote name='tenchi']No online play = no purchase = sad me :([/quote]
Yeah, I had no idea. I'd read all sorts of stuff about multiplayer but there was no mention of local or online. And in this day and age of online gaming, I generally assume that if the word "local" is not there, then online is included.

Silly me.

This game is awesome but it freezes when I use the "dance gun" or the flame thrower either that happens or I get massive framerate issues when using these weapons.

This only happens on the second level.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tinman_licks']Definitely not worth B+, maybe at best a C-. Too repetitive and simple. Got bored after first few minutes.[/QUOTE]

The thing about 1UP is they wear their hearts on their sleeves so you have to take note of the reviewer.

[quote name='Hostile']The thing about 1UP is they wear their hearts on their sleeves so you have to take note of the reviewer.[/quote]
Sharkey tends to care more about if the game is fun or not rather than whether it meets a quota in the features it offers. He spends the majority of the review comparing it to Geometry Wars, but with zombies.

I'm slightly interested after reading the IGN review. They gave it a 8.3. I'm not sure that no online would kill it for me. Console gamers are notorious for not having a mic and I would expect you'd like some good team work with a survival title. Drives me nuts when PC gamers don't have mics on Left 4 Dead and only want to play as the infected...

Does BZB have trophies?

It certainly is fun. Only did the tuorials as Im saving the game for Co-op. I love the old school controls and the lawnmower weapon is awesome!

Do I think it is worth 9.99? Maybe.... I do however think it will get old fast, and that is why I'm taking my time with it. I only beat one stage of it so far, and haven't spent 15 mins on the game.

I have to say that I'm liking this game after unlocking some new levels and getting better at the game. It's very much a dual-stick shooter, minus the simple controls, with zombies and all the cliches you'd expect to come with it. There's a lot of depth and finesse/skill required to do well. I wish there was a bit more documentation on what the medals are for and what I'd need to do to unlock certain things.

I just bought the game and I am liking it a lot more than I anticipated. So far the best part about the game is lighting a shit ton of zombies on fire and then using the baseball bat to send them flying through the air.

So far my only complaint is that you have to play single player to unlock levels for multiplayer since I wanted to jump straight into co-op.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just bought the game and I am liking it a lot more than I anticipated. So far the best part about the game is lighting a shit ton of zombies on fire and then using the baseball bat to send them flying through the air.

So far my only complaint is that you have to play single player to unlock levels for multiplayer since I wanted to jump straight into co-op.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm not sure why you couldn't just play either SP or co-op to unlock those levels for the other mode.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, I'm not sure why you couldn't just play either SP or co-op to unlock those levels for the other mode.[/quote]

Fortunately, it is easy to unlock each level; getting the bronze medal on each level so far has not been that difficult. I just unlocked the Army Base level.

Oh and those Rusher zombies suck ass.

I really want to buy this. I have just over $10 in my PSN wallet I've been meaning to spend, but kind of waited on Bomberman to come (but it hasn't). I watched some videos and it looked fun, plus some of my friends have enjoyed it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I really want to buy this. I have just over $10 in my PSN wallet I've been meaning to spend, but kind of waited on Bomberman to come (but it hasn't). I watched some videos and it looked fun, plus some of my friends have enjoyed it.[/quote]

If you are interested in the game then I don't think you would be disappointed if you bought it. I was only slightly interested in the game and I am enjoying it after playing it.

The last level—the science lab—is really difficult to get a bronze medal on. So far my high score is about half a million. I need to get at least one million to get the bronze medal.

Oh and the lawnmower is my new favorite weapon.

The only reason I dont play this more is b/c all the levels need to be unlocked in Single Player, which really ruins a great coop game

[quote name='smiggity']The only reason I dont play this more is b/c all the levels need to be unlocked in Single Player, which really ruins a great coop game[/QUOTE]

Same here, I enjoy the game, but I hate to have to beat all of the single player stuff to play the same levels on co-op.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/31/burn-zombie-burn-patch-and-home-space/
We’ve also been hard at work at expanding the Burn Zombie Burn! universe since the game was released in March. With our new Home space, set in a themed graveyard, you can literally walk amongst the undead in the same way as you do in game. There’s also a cool maze populated with some zombies too. Naturally, there’s a selection of apparel available for purchase as well.

In addition to our new Home space, there’s also a patch out now that has YouTube and background music support. This means you can record in-game footage and then upload it to YouTube to show off your skills. Background music support means you can select music to playback in game via the XMB and the music you have stored on your PlayStation 3. Enjoy!
There's also supposed to be a trailer they added to the game that advertises the new level(s) they've been working on.

Edit: Nevermind, it's just the option to switch between BZB Classic and BZB in Space at the Press Start screen.

bread's done
Back