CAGcast #138: A Quest For Fun

Yes! The moment I've been waiting for!

Cheapy, looks like you finally have pics of Tai sporting the Hitler hair. :lol:

By the way, when I click on the player, it says episode 137.

That pic of Tai, as cute as it may be, makes me cringe. My one-year-old god son, who I spend a lot of time with, is always pulling my stuff down or powering a console while I'm playing another. I'm glad he's my god son. The older he gets the more stuff he pulls off the shelves and the more stuff (and heavier) he starts throwing around.

Thanks cheapy!

Just an observation, but Tai looks so not Japanese.

Funny, most of the games he is pictured sitting next to are M-rated. Hm, that reminds me, its too bad you guys don't have the time or inclination to do a post of your game collections.

'Bout fucking time... you know how worried I was?! *Cries* I'll listen to it tomorrow... thank you for taking pity on us...

CheapyD should write blogs that lazy bastard lol :lol:

CheapyD does a good social coverage of E3 and TGS

getting LBP today cant wait!

wow Wombat was right about Cheapy's sight preformance

I would love to come to CAG everyday and see SOME new content but it's usually the same

Kinda dissapointing Cheapy :/ especially if you want the audience to grow you have to offer more

Go Wombat

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to Wombat take Cheapy D to task after putting up with so much criticism over the years was hilarious! It was like Bizarro world there for a few minutes.

Great show guys. Thoughtful discussions all around. I don't like saints row 2 or fable 2 as much as you guys did (I rented both) and I'm sorry I bitched out over not having a show last week. You probably never even saw my lame comments but regardless, sorry. Now to go vote for you guys.

Great show. CheapyD, I really liked what you had to say about Saint's Row 2. Great reviews in games this week, not just for the CAGcast, but for a review in general. CheapyD your new blog should be about Saint's Row 2. Things like how you described the seamless co-op are important to know.
I'm going to pick this game up soon, I look forward to spraying you with DOODIE!!!

In the episode Wombat made a little remark about Guitar Hero having downloadable content getting released before the game even launches. I've been bothered by people making comments like this for a while. What is the problem with developers making additional content available for pay? They are not obligated to give you everything they have ready at launch. You didn't pay for that content, and you knew what you were getting. It's not like Activision is obligated to give you all the songs from the previous Guitar Hero games either even though they were ready when World Tour released (well, sans drum and singing tracks). And by the way, this also applies to "pay to unlock" content too, by the way. Even though the content is on the disc, that doesn't mean you actually paid for it. I mean seriously, it's just bits of data. That's not what you're really paying for. Bits are worthless. You could make a million copy of those bits and it wouldn't make a difference. Really, the license to use the bits is what you want, and that's what pay to unlock content is about. You already have the bits of data, but you're paying for the license to use them.

Sorry for ranting, this is just something that's been bothering me for a while. It almost seems like people take for granted that there's something shady about companies making you pay for content they had ready when the game shipped, or content that they had put on the disc.

Uh, I'm not sure how data on the disc I paid for isn't entitled to me. If I have to pay more money to unlock that content, that's unacceptable and down right bad business. In the case of Guitar Hero, the DLC isn't the same since it was never going to be on the disc to begin with. You'd have to make the same argument for Rock Band though they are less guilty of this.

Anyway, Saints Row 2 is the poo poo. I'm having a blast with it so far.

Also, make an unboxing video for your DSi, Cheapy.

[quote name='Shady3011']Uh, I'm not sure how data on the disc I paid for isn't entitled to me. If I have to pay more money to unlock that content, that's unacceptable and down right bad business.[/QUOTE]

You also pay for your Internet connection and yet you aren't entitled to all the data on the Internet. For example, you could download a pirate copy of the same game, at which point you are in posession of the data, and could play the game, but you aren't actually entitled to do so.

Another way to look at it is that you are entitled to the data on the disc, but that doesn't mean you are entitled to the bit of data that unlocks the content. So sure, if you can find a way to use the data without that unlock bit, knock yourself out.

To tell you the truth, I'm not so fond of this business model myself, but I think if there's a problem here, it's in copyright law and DRM/Trusted Computing, and not really the companies making the games.

Cheapy, I feel your pain. My son is a year and seven months and he will not leave my games or blu-rays alone. One question, does Tai like to watch you play video games? My son does and will get pissed off if I turn off the console. I usually sit him in my lap and give him an old wireless Xbox controller and he thinks he's playing with me. If I play the Wii, he knows where the controllers are, will grab one and start swinging it around like a madman. Try Boom Blocks, my son thought that was the funniest shit ever!

Wow, I don't know what it is but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this week's CAGcast (I enjoy every CAGcast but this one was brilliant). Maybe it was the long wait or the vast amount of new releases to talk about but woo, it was awesome this week guys. Great job, keep it up.

P.S Wish Tai a happy birthday from me Cheapy.

Great show as always, guys! One problem, however: Cheapy, drop the conspiracy theories already. There was nothing "fishy" about the LittleBigPlanet problem; Sony recalled the discs to HOLD them until the 1.02 patch was ready. They didn't need to print new ones; they just didn't want any more retailers to break the street date before the patch was ready. The Qur'an complaint was a valid one (at least in the eyes of the complainant); I don't think someone taking offense should ever be considered a "red herring."

No offense, but this is yet another example of why CAGs might think you're anti-Sony. There's no hidden malevolence here; Sony and Media Molecule were just trying to make everybody happy, and I think they did a fine job. We had to wait less than a week, the servers went up, and life goes on. (I know the servers have now been taken down temporarily, but what did you expect when an overload of fans all went online at once? It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to a game.) Claiming it's some duplicitous Sony plot is laughable, and I think even you know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Shady3011']Uh, I'm not sure how data on the disc I paid for isn't entitled to me. If I have to pay more money to unlock that content, that's unacceptable and down right bad business. In the case of Guitar Hero, the DLC isn't the same since it was never going to be on the disc to begin with. You'd have to make the same argument for Rock Band though they are less guilty of this.[/quote]

I agree that paying extra money to unlock content that is already on the disc that I paid for is just crap. I am already giving them my hard earned money, why not let me unlock that content by completing certain requirements in the game?

That Paul Bearer impersonation was great! Had me laughing at work. He has his own website if anyone's interested. http://www.percypringle.com/

I think Mr. Fuji managed Yokozuna. And I also believe that he did manage the undertaker for a little while.

This post makes me sound like a huge wrestling nerd... but I honestly haven't watched wrestling in years. :cool:

I have never agreed with the LBP recall. Sony would have saved money if they did the following:

1. Provide day 1 patch to consoles connected to PSN.
2. Provide discs (patch only) free of charge to those without access to PSN.

Much cheaper than recalling all discs.

Indeed that Paul Bearer impersonation was awesome.
Mr. Fuji did managed Yokozuna and also the Orient Express.
Btw, how did Wombat new about Mr. Fuji, i remembered in an earlier episode that he mentioned he was never a wrestling fan.

Also about freaking time for the CAGcast.

I don't think Cheapy, Wombat, or the Shipwrecks are going to beat LittleBigPlanet. Now that I have the game, I don't care that it was recalled. I have it, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Period. But it was a money-making decision on their part. Whenever you have a game that's cute, cuddly and family friendly and lines that says 'you're gonna die', something has to go.

Your Paul Bearer impression was good Cheapy. Perhaps too good.

As far as downloadable content goes, if it's on the disc, how can it be considered downloadable content? If I'm getting gouged by the publisher, I'd rather have it be a few megabytes more on my hard drive than pay extra for stuff I should have had in the first place.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think Cheapy, Wombat, or the Shipwrecks are going to beat LittleBigPlanet.[/QUOTE]
Definitely not. They've been rather unfair to the game since it was announced, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. :roll:

Good show, but I thought that you guys might have announced the Gamestop Gift card winners (thats if you didn't already somewhere else on the site) on the show like usual.

I loved Wombat's criticism of CheapyD and how he's so lazy. I felt that CheapyD just laughed it off but he should really take it to heart. The 1up.com PC podcast a couple weeks back was talking about how CheapyD doesn't do any work while the forum posters do all the legwork in hunting for deals and CheapyD sits back and rakes in the money. What DOES he do all day? He works from home, doesn't have to go to meetings, apparently doesn't do anything for the site other than a weekly podcast and some sporadic posts AND he has the audacity to constantly talk about how he's always too busy and wants Osaka grandma to help take care of his kid. I'm not the only one who feels this way about CheapyD either.

CheapyD doesn't owe us anything of course, but if he can clarify any misconceptions on the next podcast, it'll go a long way to restoring our opinion of him. The ironic thing is that in terms of humor and likeability, I prefer CheapyD but much respect goes to Wombat for his work ethic. Plus Wombat was awesome on the playerone podcast so he definitely can be funny.

I think that Cheapy should have mentioned Robert Ashley because he's the one who wrote the "Recession Gaming" feature for 1up.

[quote name='liquidcross']Definitely not. They've been rather unfair to the game since it was announced, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. :roll:[/QUOTE]

The problem with LBP in their eyes is that it isn't on Xbox 360. Cheapy has loved the game since forever, so now all of a sudden he's underwhelmed and bored with the "developer" levels. That's part of the enjoyment of the game...I'm surprised he said something negative. However, if it was on Xbox there would be nothing done wrong.. like there was nothing done wrong with the 360's Saint's Row.

Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 2 was announced last week that it would be out this week and it's $5 cheaper than the first episode, too.

I can't say I really care about Saint's Row 2, nor did I care about the first game. It just doesn't look like it's doing anything that's anything more fun than GTA4, just shocking stuff like spraying shit on houses and stuff like that just doesn't appeal to me. It sounded like Cheapy was just trying to convince people why it's more deserving of 10's than GTA IV.

I still don't get why Resident Evil's not allowed to have good controls because that will make it a worse game and less scary. Capcom's not good enough to make the game scary without making you control like shit?

Call of Duty: World at War will go on sale constantly for $40 soon after launch like COD4 did last year.

Midnight Club doesn't play anything like Burnout Paradise at all, from having to chase down races to the way the car handles, which is why I'm not nearly as much of a fan of it than I am of Burnout. Having to keep an eye out for cops why heading for missions is also annoying since that'll cause me to spend another few minutes just trying to ditch the cops before realizing I'm all the way on the other side of the city and have to make the drive across the city back to the race I originally was trying to get to. That and getting called every five minutes by people wanting to race, like GTA IV, and not having a "shut the fuck up" button when I'm trying to use the minimap that the phone just covered up.

Not all of the LBP copies that were sold before the new release date were the fixed copies, which is why there was a patch on Sunday to fix them. I don't think the servers were any part of the cause for the delay since reviewers were told that they'd be up 10/21, but was pushed with the delay. It was delayed as a precaution for any possible suits that could come of that song and not be the next Kakuto Chojin. For being so outraged by this, you didn't seem to know much of anything about what retailers were doing and assuming none of the stores kept the copies they already had and sold those to anyone. It's also funny that Cheapy shat on his game of the year only based on a few of the story levels. I played through them and really enjoyed seeing the cool levels that MM came up with.

You were too scared of buying Eden, which you said you enjoyed the demo at the time but now shit on, because you were afraid of the potential of it going on sale coming soon. Three months later and nothing, how does that make your paranoid views look now?

Hasselhoff's not a part of the new level add-on, but a separate add-on character. Buzz comes with the Movie Studio add-on.

I doubt Valve would want to sell Steam for any amount since it probably makes them money hand over fist.

Godo show.

Wombat your show performance was remarkable. Challenging Cheapy to get off his lazy ass was the BOLDEST thing I've ever heard you say on the show. It was the truth, and I'm glad you said it. Probably won't inspire him to do better, however at least its out in the open.

Cheapy you're show performance was decent. I was surprised to hear you take that Cheapy shot a the PS3, for not properly following the 360s blueprint. What was ironic is that much later in the show, you start talking about how the 360 has to conpensate for their decision not to include a hard drive in every system. Too bad Sony didn't follow those blueprints, or rather the blueprints that cause the 360 to red ring. Cheapy please cut the fanboyish statements out of the show, its ridiculous. Everyone just wants to hear about you and Wombat enjoying games in general.

Also, Cheapy have you sold out to MS.... you can't even be to the point and tell someone how to get service from MS. [I guess you want to lose any Major Nelson acheivement points] Once again, Wombat had to show that he had the balls to say what needed to be said.

[quote name='peteyrose']I loved Wombat's criticism of CheapyD and how he's so lazy. I felt that CheapyD just laughed it off but he should really take it to heart. The 1up.com PC podcast a couple weeks back was talking about how CheapyD doesn't do any work while the forum posters do all the legwork in hunting for deals and CheapyD sits back and rakes in the money. What DOES he do all day? He works from home, doesn't have to go to meetings, apparently doesn't do anything for the site other than a weekly podcast and some sporadic posts AND he has the audacity to constantly talk about how he's always too busy and wants Osaka grandma to help take care of his kid. I'm not the only one who feels this way about CheapyD either.

CheapyD doesn't owe us anything of course, but if he can clarify any misconceptions on the next podcast, it'll go a long way to restoring our opinion of him. The ironic thing is that in terms of humor and likeability, I prefer CheapyD but much respect goes to Wombat for his work ethic. Plus Wombat was awesome on the playerone podcast so he definitely can be funny.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Thomas96']Wombat your show performance was remarkable. Challenging Cheapy to get off his lazy ass was the BOLDEST thing I've ever heard you say on the show. It was the truth, and I'm glad you said it. Probably won't inspire him to do better, however at least its out in the open.

Cheapy you're show performance was decent. I was surprised to hear you take that Cheapy shot a the PS3, for not properly following the 360s blueprint. What was ironic is that much later in the show, you start talking about how the 360 has to conpensate for their decision not to include a hard drive in every system. Too bad Sony didn't follow those blueprints, or rather the blueprints that cause the 360 to red ring. Cheapy please cut the fanboyish statements out of the show, its ridiculous. Everyone just wants to hear about you and Wombat enjoying games in general.

Also, Cheapy have you sold out to MS.... you can't even be to the point and tell someone how to get service from MS. [I guess you want to lose any Major Nelson acheivement points] Once again, Wombat had to show that he had the balls to say what needed to be said.[/QUOTE]
Gotta agree. We love ya Cheapy, but the arrogance, cheesy fanboyism, and double standards get annoying sometimes. Just my $0.02!

Hey Cheapy, what was that story you mentioned in the CAGcast about scaring Shipwreck in the back of the taxi? You should tell that story sounds like it'd be funny.

[quote name='Thomas96']The problem with LBP in their eyes is that it isn't on Xbox 360. Cheapy has loved the game since forever, so now all of a sudden he's underwhelmed and bored with the "developer" levels. That's part of the enjoyment of the game...I'm surprised he said something negative. However, if it was on Xbox there would be nothing done wrong.. like there was nothing done wrong with the 360's Saint's Row.[/QUOTE]

I love my ps3 and I have played more in the last month then my other consoles, mostly because of Lego Batman and the Pain amusement park. My only real gripe at this point as it always has been is that lack of communication I find in multiplayer games

[quote name='pekuja']You also pay for your Internet connection and yet you aren't entitled to all the data on the Internet. For example, you could download a pirate copy of the same game, at which point you are in posession of the data, and could play the game, but you aren't actually entitled to do so.[/quote]

That's a terrible comparison. You can't compare a service to a tangible product. The data is already on the disc. I don't have to actively do anything extra on my part to get that data on there which wouldn't make sense to begin with since the disc is already pressed.

As for DRM and other copyright issues, that has nothing to do with this. Locking features on the disc intentionally is done with knowledege by the publisher. They want to make a quick buck in the most insidious way. There really isn't any excuse for this practice other than greediness.

cheapy is sharking a problem that gets news time in japan. i see all these videos of chicks getting their tops or panties pulled down there and id think this would be something that instantly get cracked down on only because of the way women seem to be there maybe many of them dont tell anyone due to some kind of shame or something. and now on uselessjunk they have guys shootin loads into japanese chicks faces. tell me this shit is fake because i cant believe any of these chicks woul dkeep this a secret especially when it gets to that level. is this a legit phenomena or is it all just faked?

[quote name='peteyrose']I loved Wombat's criticism of CheapyD and how he's so lazy. I felt that CheapyD just laughed it off but he should really take it to heart. The 1up.com PC podcast a couple weeks back was talking about how CheapyD doesn't do any work while the forum posters do all the legwork in hunting for deals and CheapyD sits back and rakes in the money. What DOES he do all day? He works from home, doesn't have to go to meetings, apparently doesn't do anything for the site other than a weekly podcast and some sporadic posts AND he has the audacity to constantly talk about how he's always too busy and wants Osaka grandma to help take care of his kid. I'm not the only one who feels this way about CheapyD either.

CheapyD doesn't owe us anything of course, but if he can clarify any misconceptions on the next podcast, it'll go a long way to restoring our opinion of him. The ironic thing is that in terms of humor and likeability, I prefer CheapyD but much respect goes to Wombat for his work ethic. Plus Wombat was awesome on the playerone podcast so he definitely can be funny.[/quote]

i heard cheapy say that when he says he is too busy he is joking. cheapy seems to be just cheapy and doing fine with the amount of effort he is putting into CAG. i would enjoy more content from Cheapy, but i don't blame him for the life he lives. I think we are all jealous. thanks for the cagcast',i just wish it had been sooner.

bread's done
Back