Siren: Blood Curse - all (12) Episodes $29.99 at PSN [ends 11/6]

Ooooo, tempting!

But I have a somewhat random question about the "Episodes":
Do they show up as separate items on your game list or are they all grouped under one "Siren: Blood Curse" icon?

I'd prefer a disc-copy (like the full English Asia version), but at this price I might consider the download.

Thats crap I paid 40 for em all on release day lol.

They are all downloaded in packs, but appear as one icon once all downloaded.

once the game boots up, it shows them all.

I wants it on Blu Ray Disc instead download version. I really like the game put no go for me unless they release on the Disc.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Thats crap I paid 40 for em all on release day lol.[/QUOTE]

I like the fact that Sony actually reguarly runs sales on their dlc (unlike another big company....). That way if it's something I really want I can get it day 1 (like Wipeout HD), and if it's something I can wait on I'll often get a reduced price offered later on (like this....for $30 I'll bite :) ).

hmmm... i got the disc version before this, i am wondering if i should get this now that it's a bit cheaper and i would be able to share it with a few friends.

asian ver is in english with text and all while japanese is not, overall a pretty I think medicore horror game

I didn't really like the first game, but I played through it. I would get this at $20.

[quote name='argyle']I like the fact that Sony actually reguarly runs sales on their dlc (unlike another big company....). That way if it's something I really want I can get it day 1 (like Wipeout HD), and if it's something I can wait on I'll often get a reduced price offered later on (like this....for $30 I'll bite :) ).[/QUOTE]

It's a step in the right direction, but DLC has yet to see consistent and permanent price cuts.

[quote name='eselv73']whats with everyone against digital distribution? i guess it'll catch on with consoles like steam did for pcs a few years ago[/QUOTE]

I wrote an entire post addressing your question, but I accidentally hit the wrong buttons and lost it. I will rewrite it if this became a discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jug_head_4ever']Do they add tax to $29.99 when you pay for it online.
Also I can pay using the PSN card available at Blockbuster...right?[/quote]

I think it comes down to tax laws where you live.

For me in Ohio, I have to pay tax on PSN purchases.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I wants it on Blu Ray Disc instead download version. I really like the game put no go for me unless they release on the Disc.[/quote]

Not happenin' for this Siren in the US; but they're already starting to survey people about the distribution of a sequel.

[quote name='opportunity777']It's a step in the right direction, but DLC has yet to see consistent and permanent price cuts.[/QUOTE]

Not true - Sony recently bundled some earlier dlc games w/ their add-ons (Super Stardust is the one I remember, but there were others) and priced the bundles lower than what it would cost to buy them separately.

No this is a different game, not the original PS2 games... and the Japanese Blu-Ray is in Japanese while the Asian Blu-Ray is in English...

[quote name='argyle']Not true - Sony recently bundled some earlier dlc games w/ their add-ons (Super Stardust is the one I remember, but there were others) and priced the bundles lower than what it would cost to buy them separately.[/QUOTE]

I'm not working today, so I have time.

Currently, most of the DL systems are in their infancy (except XBLA). The three companies took small steps to make changes, but I'm not really satisfied with the results.

In general, across the three platforms, what I originally wrote holds true.

I wrote consistent and permanent practice. The price cuts on DLC are not consistent. First, one point in time does not indicate consistency or trend. Secondly, most items do not follow a timely curve of price discrimination. Price cuts for unpopular or older DL games take much longer than for 'normal' titles. CoP for DL games is always much lower than normal titles. The lack of the ability to resell or trade-in DL games or content helps prices remain artificially inflated in the market. Third, bundling items lowers flexibility of buyer power. Although, it's better than no price cuts at all. Usually, I find it asinine. Price cuts are usually not permanent. The majority of price cuts seem to be for a limited time only. I'm not going to search every thread on CAG for temp price decreases on DL games, but you can find them if you want.

The fact that the content is in DL form makes the above unacceptable. In the future, I hope to see more price cuts, better content, less 'disgusting' practices (I'm looking at you Bandai Namco) and other general improvements. The whole concept of DLC and games is too large for the scope of a forum discussion.

[quote name='SDC']jug_head: You can pay with a PSN card, yeah. And I'm pretty sure they do not add tax.[/QUOTE]

I actually get double taxed using a PSN point card. I bought a PSN card at Blockbuster and they charged sales tax. Put the code in and bought some DLC and I get taxed again during the online checkout.

I should probably complain, but I don't know if it's Blockbuster or Sony at fault.

[quote name='opportunity777']I'm not working today, so I have time.

Currently, most of the DL systems are in their infancy (except XBLA). The three companies took small steps to make changes, but I'm not really satisfied with the results.

In general, across the three platforms, what I originally wrote holds true.

I wrote consistent and permanent practice. The price cuts on DLC are not consistent. First, one point in time does not indicate consistency or trend. Secondly, most items do not follow a timely curve of price discrimination. Price cuts for unpopular or older DL games take much longer than for 'normal' titles. CoP for DL games is always much lower than normal titles. The lack of the ability to resell or trade-in DL games or content helps prices remain artificially inflated in the market. Third, bundling items lowers flexibility of buyer power. Although, it's better than no price cuts at all. Usually, I find it asinine. Price cuts are usually not permanent. The majority of price cuts seem to be for a limited time only. I'm not going to search every thread on CAG for temp price decreases on DL games, but you can find them if you want.

The fact that the content is in DL form makes the above unacceptable. In the future, I hope to see more price cuts, better content, less 'disgusting' practices (I'm looking at you Bandai Namco) and other general improvements. The whole concept of DLC and games is too large for the scope of a forum discussion.[/QUOTE]

I think Steam provides much of what you are looking for in terms of DLC price cuts and better content, along with consistent sales. The main problem with DLC on the consoles, is that because it's a closed platform, the platform holder has much less incentive to provide competitive pricing. Imagine if you could only buy PS3 games at Best Buy, 360 games at Circuit City, and Wii games at Target You would see a lot less competitive sales.

I'm done buying FULL games as DLC, not worth the hdd space+ can't ever sell it etc... I have warhawk HDD version, the disc version was superiour day1

The reason why game prices drop in stores is because both the retailer and publisher they have capital invested in both the physical item as well the limited selling space to sell items, resulting in an incentive for both parties to lower prices to unload a slower moving items.

With DLC, neither one of these factors is in play. It isn't a law of nature that prices have to drop over time on games (they don't on other media such as paperback books nor do criterion DVDs fall in price over time). There are plenty of things to grumble about DLC (no resale, DRM, disk space utilization and that currently pricing doesn't account for these drawbacks), but grumbling that the prices don't fall fast enough isn't a particularly sound argument...Just because the cost of production is lower doesn't mean it will passed on the end consumer, just like a the full costs of a dud game are not assessed on the end consumer.

You might as well complain that you are not getting a cut of the revenue from the billboard ads in burnout paradise

[quote name='K_G']The reason why game prices drop in stores is because both the retailer and publisher they have capital invested in both the physical item as well the limited selling space to sell items, resulting in an incentive for both parties to lower prices to unload a slower moving items.

With DLC, neither one of these factors is in play. It isn't a law of nature that prices have to drop over time on games (they don't on other media such as paperback books nor do criterion DVDs fall in price over time). There are plenty of things to grumble about DLC (no resale, DRM, disk space utilization and that currently pricing doesn't account for these drawbacks), but grumbling that the prices don't fall fast enough isn't a particularly sound argument...Just because the cost of production is lower doesn't mean it will passed on the end consumer, just like a the full costs of a dud game are not assessed on the end consumer.

You might as well complain that you are not getting a cut of the revenue from the billboard ads in burnout paradise[/QUOTE]

I think by bringing up paperback books and DVDs, you have strayed too far away because they are "other media." It is not quite an apples and apples comparision to games, but before I have to cook dinner for three, let us address those for fun.

In general, even paperback books and DVDs will fall because of the access to the secondhand market and changes in technology (Kindle, new editions, bundles, BluRay, etc.). You actually proved my point by the first couple of factors you mentioned in your own post. I go to book stores often, and I see sales of older classics like 1984 to clear out space. I'm not even going to talk about how internet sales have effected these prices because my time is somewhat limited. Funny you mention Criterion DVDs because they follow a different model, which makes their mention completely pointless. Also, I don't believe they are immune to long-term changes in technology or re-releases.

There are some good points in there about the negatives of DLC, but you lose the fact that DLC is a digital distribution method. I will not go into every reason why price cuts should come more regularly, but I will mention a couple. After the upfront programming and 'packaging' cost, transferring code over the 'net is much cheaper than traditional distribution channels. You're statement is essentially, "Well, cost-cutting measures within the company don't necessarily pass down to the consumers." Yes, they don't always do that. But, by not passing the savings to consumers, a company will allow competitors to step in with more efficient systems and take away customers. Once consumers realize the product efficiency or number of alternatives has increased, they will demand lower prices. These outside pressures are only a few of the reasons why DLC should be cheaper, but is currently not because the systems are still in their infancy. The competition is weak.

Also, there is a depreciation model for digitally distributed content. Especially with digital products, time plays in an important role in devaluing their price. Again, I cannot go into complete detail or mention every point. A couple of reasons is because reproduction and maintenance is cheaper than tangible goods. As space and bandwidth increase, the cost of maintaining the code becomes even smaller because the size of the original code becomes inconsequential due to new vast resources.

The scope of this discussion is too large for a forum. But, I already said that. :p

I believe you neglected various factors at play which have overrun the 'traditional' factors you mentioned in your first couple of lines. There is no way for me to address or elaborate on every issue or point. I need evidence, citation, more research, clarification, more writing space and other details. I'm simply addressing your post because I feel like you're calling me an idiot. We can sit here on an internet forum and poke holes all over the place. For tonight, I can no longer do any more E-Dick jousting with you. I need to go make some homemade pizzas. :p

[sp. grammar, communication barriers, lack of emoticons, lack of clarification, etc.]

Yawn...if you think someone pointing out another viewpoint automatically makes you an idiot...you've got issues... but suggesting that my comment was "e-dick jousting" just clearly points that you are an idiot not worth anyone's attention or consideration

And wow, I made my point in just two lines without getting all narcissistic as well.

[quote name='tomwaits1']I actually get double taxed using a PSN point card. I bought a PSN card at Blockbuster and they charged sales tax. Put the code in and bought some DLC and I get taxed again during the online checkout.

I should probably complain, but I don't know if it's Blockbuster or Sony at fault.[/QUOTE]

Depends on your state. Blockbuster charged me sales tax on the PSN card, but according to my state it is a giftcard and giftcards are NON-TAXABLE in my state. You can only be charged sales tax when you use giftcards. I'm currently in a battle with Blockbuster and I've given them until Tuesday for someone to respond to me. If they don't give me a response I'm filing an official fraudulent business practices complaint with my state's revenue office.

Only way I can get Siren besides pay an obscene almost-$50-price at Playasia, & my Mastercard debit card won't get accepted by PSN. Called Sony twice, only advice they gave me was to put my name & address in capitals which obviously didn't work. Asked to just add my card through them instead of dealing with PSN's bullshit, no luck.

Missing on a probably great game because of some "security issues" =\...

[quote name='xbox_mole']Depends on your state. Blockbuster charged me sales tax on the PSN card, but according to my state it is a giftcard and giftcards are NON-TAXABLE in my state. You can only be charged sales tax when you use giftcards. I'm currently in a battle with Blockbuster and I've given them until Tuesday for someone to respond to me. If they don't give me a response I'm filing an official fraudulent business practices complaint with my state's revenue office.[/quote]

i believe I got charged tax when I bought mine, wisconsin, I'll have to see what our laws say. good luck!!!

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Only way I can get Siren besides pay an obscene almost-$50-price at Playasia, & my Mastercard debit card won't get accepted by PSN. Called Sony twice, only advice they gave me was to put my name & address in capitals which obviously didn't work. Asked to just add my card through them instead of dealing with PSN's bullshit, no luck.

Missing on a probably great game because of some "security issues" =\...[/quote]

same bullshit they gave me...or "try entering your street address without the 'rd.' " charged my card $1 everytime it tried. -$8 in all trying all their suggestions to no avail. Then they said I have to take the $8 issue up with my bank. pissed me off. Got a new visa and it works fine.

I suggest just gettin two $20 cards from blockbuster. you'll find something for $10 on there eventually you'll want

The Asian Blu-Ray is the only way to go with this game, not only because it has selectable Japanese/English subs/voices... but because it is NOT censored like the North American version on PSN!!!

Yes, the PSN version is censored.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Only way I can get Siren besides pay an obscene almost-$50-price at Playasia, & my Mastercard debit card won't get accepted by PSN. Called Sony twice, only advice they gave me was to put my name & address in capitals which obviously didn't work. Asked to just add my card through them instead of dealing with PSN's bullshit, no luck.

Missing on a probably great game because of some "security issues" =\...[/quote]

One suggestion, try entering your information the EXACT way it appears on your billing statement (ie, if on the billing statement it has street and apartment number on one line, it needs to all go in the first line of the form - or capitals, etc.)

I had the same issues, and that eventually worked for me

[quote name='Masterkyo']I wants it on Blu Ray Disc instead download version. I really like the game put no go for me unless they release on the Disc.[/quote]
You Sir...have an interesting style of putting things.
And I have a feeling its only when you use English
(No offense...just fooling around)

On topic...I was charged tax at BB for the card but not at PSN itself

[quote name='harvestry_of_ghosts']The Asian Blu-Ray is the only way to go with this game, not only because it has selectable Japanese/English subs/voices... but because it is NOT censored like the North American version on PSN!!!

Yes, the PSN version is censored.[/quote]

...Seriously? How much censoring?

can we stop talking about importing, DLC, Blue-Ray copies, etc?

talk about the game... jeebuz. Anyone play the game and dissatisfied? How is it. I'm wondering if this is going to be an short game... 20hours or so.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']...Seriously? How much censoring?[/quote]

Violent scenes, blood, exploding heads,... that sort of stuff, lol. There's some comparison movies on YouTube I believe.

First off, 20 hours or so is looong by today's gaming standards. 6-8 is considered short. But like you I too would like to know, from those who played it all the way through, is it worth even the lowered $29.99 price. If so-so and less than 10 hours, then I can pass til $19.99. Way too many games out now to fret over this right now otherwise. If this were Feb and nothing good was coming out for 3-4 months, then yeah maybe.

[quote name='K_G']Yawn...if you think someone pointing out another viewpoint automatically makes you an idiot...you've got issues... but suggesting that my comment was "e-dick jousting" just clearly points that you are an idiot not worth anyone's attention or consideration

And wow, I made my point in just two lines without getting all narcissistic as well.[/QUOTE]

You didn't present another viewpoint. In your post, you dismissed others' ideas as garbage and inserted your idea as the only correct one. At the end of your post, you pointed out any idea aligned differently from your own was whining or complaining about the issue of poor DLC pricing policy. I don't see how that is presenting a viewpoint.

Now, you ran out of ideas, so you had to resort to "name-calling" and deflecting your lack of understanding, education and intellect away from yourself.

It's pitifully obvious your some hack who took Economics in high school, so you have no concept of how real world economics or finance works.

Just put me on your ignore list, I'll put you on mine and then neither of us have to speak to each other ever again.

[quote name='mrg']First off, 20 hours or so is looong by today's gaming standards. 6-8 is considered short. But like you I too would like to know, from those who played it all the way through, is it worth even the lowered $29.99 price. If so-so and less than 10 hours, then I can pass til $19.99. Way too many games out now to fret over this right now otherwise. If this were Feb and nothing good was coming out for 3-4 months, then yeah maybe.[/QUOTE]

Game length is roughly a half hour each episode. So, the game is short.

From the GS review: "However, those of you who really want to get to the bottom of the story will find some replay value in going back to find each of the game's 50 archive items, each of which sheds a bit of light on the village, the characters, or the events of the game."

I'm going to hold out for a better price, but the censorship issue is lame.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='harvestry_of_ghosts']Violent scenes, blood, exploding heads,... that sort of stuff, lol. There's some comparison movies on YouTube I believe.[/quote]
Kinda weird the US version is censored but say no more, importing the Asian version from PlayAsia....that isn't censored, is it? Asian version, not Japanese.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Kinda weird the US version is censored but say no more, importing the Asian version from PlayAsia....that isn't censored, is it? Asian version, not Japanese.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='harvestry_of_ghosts']The Asian Blu-Ray is the only way to go with this game, not only because it has selectable Japanese/English subs/voices... but because it is NOT censored like the North American version on PSN!!!

Yes, the PSN version is censored.[/QUOTE]

According to harvestry, the Asian version is not censored at all.

Stolen from Eurogamer.net forums

"Okay my Blu-ray copy of the Asian version finally turned up.

I can confirm there is a compulsory install of 5100MB. If your PS3 is set with English as your main language it automatically switches to English, you'll never see a single Chinese or Japanese menu.

The game comes with fairly thick lavishly illustrated manual which looks lovely but seems to be Chinese throughout, there is an additional English insert though which explains controls etc. for the baffled. Useless fact: The Asian version appears to be the only version which doesn't carry an age rating." - Cappy

I never played the Siren's on PS2. 1 is cheap to get and came out in U.S., but 2 never came out in U.S. Does part 2 on PS2 have english in any way, shape or form? I'm an all or nothing type guy, I wouldn't just want the downloadable episodes I want the entire series or nothing.

I'm a survival horror nut, but I found the controls for the first Siren unwieldy and couldn't take more than an hour of it. The sequel seems to have fixed this problem and I'm awfully tempted at $30...

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']I never played the Siren's on PS2. 1 is cheap to get and came out in U.S., but 2 never came out in U.S. Does part 2 on PS2 have english in any way, shape or form? I'm an all or nothing type guy, I wouldn't just want the downloadable episodes I want the entire series or nothing.[/QUOTE]

Siren 2 came out in Europe. I'm sure it has English.

Forbidden Siren 2 = PAL = English Only
Siren 2 = NTSC/J = Japanese Only

The way I was able to play the English version on an NTSC console was by connecting it to my pc via tv tuner card. Patching the game with a PAL2NTSC patcher doesn't work as it freezes on cut scenes.

The first game was also censored in the US, but only in the fact that they changed the ages of children from 14 to 17 I believe.

bread's done
Back