Most current PS2 is tiny! See Pics.

WaTony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I had no idea these things were this small. Barely bigger than the pack-in game and no external power supply! For anyone considering a new PS2, especially with backward compatibility cut from the PS3, see pics below.

Starbucks Grande:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics. How is the build quality? My fat PS2s are still running with plenty beating they had. Little worried that new slim PS2 could break just by touching it wrong.

[quote name='laaj']Nice pics. How is the build quality? My fat PS2s are still running with plenty beating they had. Little worried that new slim PS2 could break just by touching it wrong.[/QUOTE]

The DVD-tray feels kind of flimsy and the console is a featherweight (< 700g) but the miniaturized electronics inside should run much cooler and reliably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard when they first released the slim they were having overheating problems. Has that been resolved?

I love tiny consoles.. I kind of wish i still had my PSone. When i was in High School, I used to carry it around in my backpack, and play strider in studyhall.

I love the size of the slim ps2s, I can fit them in a backpack inside the laptop compartment and still have lots of room leftover for everything else. It's perfect for traveling.

Looks a little different to the older slim lines also. I am using the older slim line with the external power supply and it still works pretty damn well after 2 years of use and 2 drops from the entertainment stand after a guitar hero party. :hot:

So for people wondering if these things are rugged. Then yes. They are.

Wow I never realized how small the slims are.

I'll probably pick one up at some point if my older fat PS2 dies on me (girlfriend uses it for DDR, Taiko, etc.)

[quote name='WaTony']The DVD-tray feels kind of flimsy and the console is a featherweight (< 700g) but the miniaturized electronics inside should run much cooler and reliably.[/QUOTE]

700g? This is America. Weigh it in English or get out!

That is really nice but I have 2 fat PS2 and 1 slim. I don't think that my girlfriend would like me have another PS2 taking up space.

If I can get one of these things on the cheap at some point, I definitely will.

[quote name='WaTony']0.11 stone.[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='nbballard']I heard when they first released the slim they were having overheating problems. Has that been resolved?

I love tiny consoles.. I kind of wish i still had my PSone. When i was in High School, I used to carry it around in my backpack, and play strider in studyhall.[/QUOTE]

slim pstwo's never had an overheating problem. The console would warm up, but that would be normal since it's so small... (it's like, if your laptop felt warm, you wouldn't automatically think it's overheating, would you?)

[quote name='yourlefthand']So do logitech wireless controller receivers fit? I have two, so if they won't work it's a deal breaker.[/quote]

Sorta. :roll:

I was really late to the PS2 scene, and finally picked up a slim. I got a logitech wireless controller shortly after, and was sad to see that it extends below the bottom of the system, so it won't sit level. I just put it on an old textbook to elevate it. It doesn't look the as nice as it could, but oh well.

You could set it on something, plug in a controller extention, or get a vertical stand.

If you'd really like a pic of what I'm talking about, LMK.

[quote name='mcelfour']Sorta. :roll:

I was really late to the PS2 scene, and finally picked up a slim. I got a logitech wireless controller shortly after, and was sad to see that it extends below the bottom of the system, so it won't sit level. I just put it on an old textbook to elevate it. It doesn't look the as nice as it could, but oh well.

You could set it on something, plug in a controller extention, or get a vertical stand.

If you'd really like a pic of what I'm talking about, LMK.[/quote]
Strange. Is your slim the new 90000 series? I got a pre-90000 slim and the Logitech transceivers stay flush with the bottom of the slim.

[quote name='eau']Strange. Is your slim the new 90000 series? I got a pre-90000 slim and the Logitech transceivers stay flush with the bottom of the slim.[/quote]

Model 70011.

Maybe my controller has a bit different receiver?

Thats great! My 2 yr warranty on my old silver ps2 slim is coming up, time to trade in!
Plus mine doesn't play dvd's anymore so... i need a new one.

[quote name='eau']Strange. Is your slim the new 90000 series? I got a pre-90000 slim and the Logitech transceivers stay flush with the bottom of the slim.[/quote]
Same here.

[quote name='mcelfour']Model 70011.

Maybe my controller has a bit different receiver?[/QUOTE]

There are different receivers. Older receivers fit snug and flush on the fat but protrude down lower than the slim's base. They revised it so that it is flush with the ground on the slim but also sticks out a lot further.

One thing I noticed on the pics of the 90001 was that unlike the previous slims, looks like you can't stand this one vertical. No screw hole for the vertical stand (and you can't turn the PS logo lol).

Got rid of my PS2 long ago, but can't wait for retail to consider PS2 dead, when that day comes I can get one of these slims with component, god of war 1/2 and total overdose for less than 100$ investment I might have to jump, God of Wars are some of my Favorites of all time and Total Overdose isn't BC with 360, but I never finished it on old PS2 or PC. These are so small now no reason not to have one again they aren't big enough to even gather dust...ha ha ha

I'm also going to wait for retail "to die" when it comes to the PS2. Since they removed BC on the PS3 and component looks "ok" on my HDTV I'm going to grab one of these to replace my fat PS2.

I just picked up a Slim Lego Batman Bundle at Blockbuster for $140 (with some good flips). This thing is awesome. I had to get rid of my PS2 fat when the Xbox360 took over its space on the shelf. Now i can have my ps2 back and take it anywhere!

Combine this with a ton of cheap games from Hollywood Video and the PS2 doesn't look that dead yet.

It's crazy that it's about the same size as the GameGear or the Lynx. Put a LCD on top and you've got the best portable console in the history of gaming.

[quote name='depascal22']It's crazy that it's about the same size as the GameGear or the Lynx. Put a LCD on top and you've got the best portable console in the history of gaming.[/quote]
I was just thinking about that the other day; why hasn't Sony released a mountable LCD screen for the PS2 like they did for the PSone?

Maybe they have eventual plans for a truly portable, battery-powered PS2?

[quote name='depascal22']It's crazy that it's about the same size as the GameGear or the Lynx. Put a LCD on top and you've got the best portable console in the history of gaming.[/quote]

Most games weren't designed for that small of a screen. Good luck trying to read menus and any texts on it.

[quote name='laaj']Most games weren't designed for that small of a screen. Good luck trying to read menus and any texts on it.[/quote]
I don't know, PS2 games were still designed for SDTV resolution so it's not like the text size is all that small. I'd say that the average text size (relative to screen size) is roughly similar for PS2 games and DS games, for instance.

media

media

That bottom screen is a DS game (looks like FFIII). But you could easily see the text in most PS2 games with an LCD screen the size of a DVD case. Remember, the controller is separate so you don't need to sacrifice screen size to accomodate buttons like the PSP.

[quote name='depascal22']That bottom screen is a DS game (looks like FFIII).[/quote]
Yeah, that was my point, that when you put an example of a PS2 game next to an example of a DS game, the text size isn't radically different.

[quote name='siderealshift']If I can get one of these things on the cheap at some point, I definitely will.[/quote]

Not to whore out my TL, but ummm....check my TL. :lol: I have a sealed slim with a bunch of controllers and a multitap I put on there a while back for $100 plus shipping. But it IS the older slim model and not the current even smaller slim.

[quote name='laaj']Most games weren't designed for that small of a screen. Good luck trying to read menus and any texts on it.[/QUOTE]

I got the PSOne screen and never had any trouble reading the text

[quote name='Nogib']
One thing I noticed on the pics of the 90001 was that unlike the previous slims, looks like you can't stand this one vertical. No screw hole for the vertical stand (and you can't turn the PS logo lol).[/QUOTE]

The stands are available in Japan but not the US as of yet. They are much nicer looking then the older circle ones. I just picked one up at play-asia for my new 90001. Here is a link and a picture:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-fm-49-en-70-2ee5.html
scph-90001-cb.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't know, PS2 games were still designed for SDTV resolution so it's not like the text size is all that small. I'd say that the average text size (relative to screen size) is roughly similar for PS2 games and DS games, for instance.[/quote]

Nice but you forget to factor in the viewing distance. DS screen is no more than 1.5 ft from my eyes and I doubt most of us will be comfortable with that setup on tiny PS2 screen.

[quote name='laaj']Nice but you forget to factor in the viewing distance. DS screen is no more than 1.5 ft from my eyes and I doubt most of us will be comfortable with that setup on tiny PS2 screen.[/quote]
I don't get it, what would the difference be? You would play this hypothetical portable PS2 the same way you would a DS (roughly anyway, it would probably be perched on your lap or on a nearby table, but it wouldn't be any further away from your face than a DS would be). You wouldn't put it on a TV stand and try to play it from across the room.

[quote name='silent h3ro']Judging by that picture, can you turn the PS logo?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can. I just received my 90001 from Amazon tonight and tried it out myself.

Another thing I noticed about the 90001 is that the disc drive spins pretty loudly. In fact, mine vibrates the entire unit when a disc is playing. I don't know if I just got an unlucky console or if it's the same across the board, but anyone planning on buying one should know that it can be annoying.

Thanks, PawnTakesKing. The disc issue doesn't sound too good... If I decide to buy one soon then I will try to post in this thread to mention the issue.

To follow-up my previous post about the noisy disc drive:

I did some more testing last night, and it seems the issue is isolated to the old purple-disc games. Newer games such as FF12, Lego Batman, Madden 09, and others run just fine, and the system is completely quiet. However, any purple discs will cause the system to go into a vibrating frenzy.

Damn. I should test my 90000 series and see if it happens with all of them. My old fat PS2 was well behaved with pretty much any game other than Taito Legends. For some reason that game made so much noise that I didn't dare play it anymore. Crazy.

bread's done
Back