Should CAG add a points system?

I would think spamming would take a whole new level...people would make whimsical remarks in the hopes of attaining points. If however, there was some way to moderate and assign points to posts that had value, that would be a different story, a difficult chore though.

[quote name='sm04as']I would think spamming would take a whole new level...people would make whimsical remarks in the hopes of attaining points. If however, there was some way to moderate and assign points to posts that had value, that would be a different story, a difficult chore though.[/quote]

I have to agree. I think a points system might do more harm than good. People post here without any special points system because we find good deals here and want to share good deals we find elsewhere. I don't think CheapyD needs a point system to get people to use his site more, and I think the number of irrelevant posts would skyrocket.

Personally I like the site just the way it is, but that's just my opinion.

I was planning on posting a thread about this.

Anyway, I agree that the spam will go through the roof.

There are some serious questions that need to be answered before I say yes to points.

1. How will we gain points?

2. What will the points be used for?

3. How will the point system benefit the site and the users?

4. Will the point system cause more problems (spam, etc), than be beneficial?

5. Is the point system a reward for active users or a way to get more publicity for the site?

6. Will lurkers benefit equally or more?

Well, There are more questions I am sure, but these should do for now.

It seems to me that the points would cause more harm than good...We don't need the spam that would bring to the site, and any form of a user controlled system like the one that sm04as suggested would be abused to the point of uselessness.

I like the site just fine the way it is...having a smaller community actually makes this site much better than VGTalk. Any benefit that the point system would bring would be overshadowed by the flood of spam and new users that contribute nothing to the site.

I agree, too much hassle to pull it off. Just leave everything the way it is. We've been getting cool upgrades lately, but leave this one alone.

The only way to keep the spam away is to create a point system that is completely unrelated to your post count.

How can we do this?

One way is by creating a virtual game like Defender's dice game where people could play for fun and win points. Maybe you could play against other forum goers and win more by beating them?

Another way is to have contests where you win points instead of physical prizes. Cheapy could keep his usual contests, but add more mini contests where you win points.

We should keep things as is. I like how everything is right now, and something like this is just gonna bring a lot of spam, like someone else said. It's kinda pointless.

[quote name='Scrubking']1. How will we gain points?[/quote]

Usually points are earned by posting topics and replies. You usually get more points when posting a topic than a reply.

There is an option to make a minimum amount of characters when posting, but then we won't be able to make short replies when needed. So it really is a gamble. But it could bring a lot more people to the site, which can be a good or bad thing. It'll be good for CheapyD because he'll get more hits and traffic, but there be spammers and not to mention a lot more deals will be gone faster.

I voted Maybe.

I like the idea, it could spice things up some. But, am also concerned about the possible problems. I like Scrubking's idea about mini contests to win points.

I don't know. Being that I can't think of any ideas on my own right now, I guess I'm witholding my vote until further info.

1. How will we gain points? This is up to CheapyD of course but judging from responses here. I would say not by posting at all. I suggest a set number you get at signup...say 100. And CheapyD can get creative with point giveaways in certain threads or instances.

2. What will the points be used for? Points are the basis for MANY mods on PHPBB...such as RPG games, drawings, and many others. Points allow for a system to reward users for actions or to charge users as well. There is a mod to actually take away points for someone to post. Which means that SPAM would DECREASE! Imagine only getting 10 points per day and you run out...you cant post till the next day. That would mean you would post very sparingly or find a way to make points.

3. How will the point system benefit the site and the users? The points system is the basis for rewarding users in general. The benefits could be great. Scrubking himself asked for a way to reward long time users...well this could be the start.

4. Will the point system cause more problems (spam, etc), than be beneficial? That depends on how its used. Since CHeapyD nor I are NOT evil men...I think it would be used for the benefit of all mankind. :)

5. Is the point system a reward for active users or a way to get more publicity for the site? Points could be used for MANY purposes..reward and promotion are just two things.

6. Will lurkers benefit equally or more? Lurkers wont benefit at all since to collect points you have to have an account. This is a plus for anyone who wants to participate in however the points are utilized.

Good questions and I hope I answered them well.
Please keep in mind that a points system can GREATLY enhance a forums. While at this time CAG is all about the deals and posts..I think the site could be cool as a larger community. I do believe that CheapyD started this site as a commercial venture. I think Points might create better stickiness to the site since they could be used in other ways. Sometimes it can be dull just posting and reading all day. Imagine playing games here too. Imagine that we had clans where certain groups could compete for fun. I am not saying all my ideas are good or that even any of them would happen. Its really up to the Cheap Master Himself. I just wanted to open the discussion.

Keep this topic alive and please express any thoughts.

Its just an idea for now that is being tossed around.

Personally I am not super Gung-ho about it. I think it would be fun to add but it may be a bit premature to do so now.

If this thread goes really against it I think CheapyD would agree with you guys unless he can be shown some serious value in it.

I got a quick question though...

Should we also remove number of posts in profiles? Some people post a lot just to look cool or to get a new rank title. Should we eliminate that?

i dont care if i get 10 free games. I dont want either spam or a limited amount of posts. This is the whorst thing that can happen to this site

[quote name='defender']I got a quick question though...

Should we also remove number of posts in profiles? Some people post a lot just to look cool or to get a new rank title. Should we eliminate that?[/quote]
thats not a bad idea

Should we also remove number of posts in profiles? Some people post a lot just to look cool or to get a new rank title. Should we eliminate that?[/quote]

I'd say no...There are a lot of positives to the post count...like showing the newbies who they shouldn't be screwing around with. :D

I think you could get rid of the number of posts for everyone to view. That way we won't get a lot of those "Hooray 100 posts!" threads we were seeing a while back. I do like the rank structure, you could at least find out who has been here a little longer, but it's not like that is the case. You will sometimes see someone who joined way back in July or August of '03 and still have Cheap Ass Newbie and then you get someone who might have Dec '03 calling them newbie just cause they posted more.

It's a tough choice

I may be biased, I don't think you should remove it. By having both post count and length of membership, you can get a pretty good idea of who stands where on the board. It looks pretty silly for a 500 post month-old-member to tell a 500 post member-from-the-beginning to "shut up."

If it's a matter of people posting junk just to get a new rank title, change it to time served. Give the ranks to people who've been here a certain length of time and possibly a minimum post count.

thats easy for you to say. youve almost reached god status, and therefore, post count doesnt matter over that magucal mark. but for us pions, it gives us (well, me at least) great pride and to show how much time ive killed on this wonderful site.

points could be nice, but they shouldn affect a lot, cause then there will be problems. but having solely for a small purpose would be good, like an rpg like you said.

and limiting posts is the idea of the devil. we need an exorcist to purge that idea. i mean, where would magilacudy be without his 22 posts a day?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']thats easy for you to say. youve almost reached god status, and therefore, post count doesnt matter over that magucal mark. but for us pions, it gives us (well, me at least) great pride and to show how much time ive killed on this wonderful site.[/quote]

Pride or shame? :lol:

I'd say pride, because I like it here. This is my first ever forum. I wasn't even interested in a forum when I came here, but I actually liked it. I joined other forums, but I've got like less than 10 posts on them. I just come here.

Well, a post limit is bad, cause then we will be limited to posting X amount of deals a day which defeats the purpose of a deal site.

I am all for a non post related point system as long as we can do something good with our points ie win prizes like shirts, games, etc, but if the points are for a stupid rpg game or something along those lines then I say no.

I got an idea: How about we give posts to people posting deals? That could work out good. And CheapyD could decide, depending on the deal, how many points that person gets. I think that'll work out really good. It may encourage a lot of crappydeals, but CheapyD will just say that deal was not worthy of any points. It'll be a lot of work, but I think that's thet best way to go about on doing this.

Edit: Right when I pressed submit, I realized VGtalk does the point system like this. Nevermind, unless you want to copy off them, which would make us look bad in the eyes of VGtalk and it's members.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL'] I got an idea: How about we give posts to people posting deals? That could work out good. And CheapyD could decide, depending on the deal, how many points that person gets. I think that'll work out really good. It may encourage a lot of crappydeals, but CheapyD will just say that deal was not worthy of any points. It'll be a lot of work, but I think that's thet best way to go about on doing this.[/quote]

Do we want CheapyD to have to work on this site even more than he already does? I don't want him to get so burdened by the work he puts into this site that he starts regretting ever having it in the first place.

I still don't think having a points sytem will make this site any better. It's already the best place on the Internet to look for gaming deals. If it's great the way it is, why open the door to potential trouble by starting a points system?

Points don't have to be tied in with post counts!

Sorry, but people keep saying that it is going to cause spam, destroy the site, etc, but if the point system has nothing to do with what, when or how you post then it will not be a problem. It will just be an extra thing on the side that people can participate in if they wish.

And why would a point system that gives out rewards like shirts, etc be bad?

[quote name='defender']Should we also remove number of posts in profiles? Some people post a lot just to look cool or to get a new rank title. Should we eliminate that? [/quote]

Although I have yet to make a trade with anyone here, I'd feel more comfortable to know I am trading with an active member with certain # of posts who has a vested interest in this site. Otherwise I could end up trading with Joe Guy who might not give a second thought to ripping me off.

I understand how the point system would give a member a more real vested interest in being an upstanding member, but people would just be posting more bullshit just to get points, cluttering up the fine forum we already have here. Unless of course that's the point: to create more postings and topics. I already burn off enough time here, I really don't want to sift through endless topics of people who are just posting for points.

how else are you going to dole out points if not tied to an automatic counter of topic posts and replies? You really expect CheapyD to read every post and once in a while say "Yeah! you get a point you witty sob!" ??

Seems like a full time job to me, unless you are unemployed right now and can work for free.

[quote name='bmulligan']how else are you going to dole out points if not tied to an automatic counter of topic posts and replies? [/quote]

[quote name='Scrubking']One way is by creating a virtual game like Defender's dice game where people could play for fun and win points. Maybe you could play against other forum goers and win more by beating them?

Another way is to have contests where you win points instead of physical prizes. Cheapy could keep his usual contests, but add more mini contests where you win points.[/quote]

People really need to understand that points DON'T have to be related to post counts. I guarantee that most people who are against points don't see this simple fact.

Just to throw in my thoughts:

If a point system were implemented, junk posts would not be a problem if:
- post counts are unrelated to point totals OR
- the incentives for high point counts aren't worth it

As you can see, spam can easily be avoided. Then there's the question of what the points should be good for. Tangibles (i.e. t-shirts, mugs, keychains, etc.) would be great, but someone has to pay for them. An RPG kind of system would be good, too, but enough people would have to be interested in it for it to actually be fun. If we could get some type of special funding and/or enough interest in the RPG system, we could make the points pretty useful here.

As Scrubking said, points could be earned through mini contests. You wouldn't have to sift through every post in the deals forum to dole out points, but you could still give point bonuses if someone's deal makes the front page. Personally, I see a lot of potential for points, but maybe it wouldn't be such a great addition here because of how active this site is already.

What if we had Javascript games? Or certain promotions where if users participated they gained points.

The points system is HIGHLY dynamic. Its evident that tying points with posts could be dangerous.

Since this is a Game Deals site...why not add some type of game to the site itself. We are all gamers. To me this makes sense if would could somehow have entertainment beyond Scrubkings posts.

[quote name='defender'] We are all gamers. To me this makes sense if would could somehow have entertainment beyond Scrubkings posts.[/quote]

Is that what we're calling it? :?

im thinkin that if someone wants to spam they don't care about points. besides i haven't seen much spam since i'v gotten here

I think a points system could be fun. Although i think the RPG system is a little lame....maybe there could be a little 'shop' set up where we could buy little .gifs that would be placed under our avatars. Something like a ps2 or gamecube or even just random things. Of course there would be an option to turn them off for our 56K friends.

I like the idea of gaining points in other ways (like mini games....though that sounds like a lot of work)...I mean, I come to this site every day and read your guys' posts but I think I have like .2 posts per day. Maybe you could get a few points for logging on (like GameFAQS) or if you are really concerned about spamming or bandwidth, limiting the number of points you can recieve per day (from posting or otherwise).

[quote name='Scrubking']So are we, or aren't we going to get a point system?[/quote]we arnt they were just throughing around supid ideas

bread's done
Back