Left 4 Dead - Early Demo Open Now, Retail game out on Nov. 18th

darthbudge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I searched around and I didn't see an official Left 4 Dead thread, so I figured I would go ahead and make one.

The demo has really peaked my interest, Expert difficulty is definately the way to go. It really makes you work together.

Did anyone else get into the early demo? Maybe we can get some CAGs playing together.

yea the demo is amazing, i have been playing the demo levels over and over ahaha (normally i play a demo once and then delete it but this demo is addictive lol )
i cant wait for the full game ^_^

I just finished the single-player part of the demo and yeah, it is amazing. I can't believe how smart the AI is, both zombie and your teammates. Whenever I play any new Valve product it always makes me realize why Valve is the best developer out there. They are incapable of producing bad products I swear.

[quote name='cgarb84']I just finished the single-player part of the demo and yeah, it is amazing. I can't believe how smart the AI is, both zombie and your teammates. Whenever I play any new Valve product it always makes me realize why Valve is the best developer out there. They are incapable of producing bad products I swear.[/quote]

Don't say that man! You are gonna jinx them. :lol:

But yeah, this certainly is a great game. I am actually gonna get it for PC and 360. That way I can have the best of both worlds. :cool:

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Are there any news if community made maps would be supported for L4D?[/QUOTE]

No official word on that, but every other Valve PC game has supported mod tools so I don't see why L4D would be any different.

Played the demo for the first time last night and thought it was great. Ran through the same two levels over and over and it was different each time due to the AI Director shizz. The fast zombies, the tank guys, and the smokers are all funny to watch and come out of nowhere. My gang ran into some special chick zombie (can't remember the name) and a teammate threw a molotov cocktail at her and it was hilarious. The M16 is great. I wonder what other weapons are available in the full version.

Been playing the demo all morning.

Its too easy single player imo. The team mate AI is too good.

Online with other people who don't know what they are doing is so much more fun.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Are there any news if community made maps would be supported for L4D?[/QUOTE]Yes, they will be supported.

Also, The Director will be part of Source SDK sometime after L4D comes out, so maybe we will see some mods taking advantage of that also.

The demo's only fun if you play on the highest difficulty. The other options make it too easy.

Plenty of LOL moments. Everyone but Bill got wiped out during a tank charge. As a huge swarm of zombies rushed him, his character said "I didn't sign up for this!" Game over.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Are there any news if community made maps would be supported for L4D?[/quote]
If you search through the Steam forum for L4D (and I think on that l4d 411 site) there are already screens and/or a vid floating around of people playing on custom maps.

[quote name='NTolerance']No official word on that, but every other Valve PC game has supported mod tools so I don't see why L4D would be any different.

Played the demo for the first time last night and thought it was great. Ran through the same two levels over and over and it was different each time due to the AI Director shizz. The fast zombies, the tank guys, and the smokers are all funny to watch and come out of nowhere. My gang ran into some special chick zombie (can't remember the name) and a teammate threw a molotov cocktail at her and it was hilarious. The M16 is great. I wonder what other weapons are available in the full version.[/QUOTE]

That's a Witch. My last encounter with her after a stray bullet made into a fast wipe for the entire team :)

I love this game, the AI Director is insane. Me and my roomate were playing earlier. The first level that fucktard hits the car to just hit it (we are playing on expert btw and he knows what happens when the car is hit). We could not get out of the subway on the 2nd level. We kept getting into some bad luck, which ultimately caused our fail, lol.

Out of curiosity, is there any differences between the four characters other than appearance? Also, in single-player mode, can you switch between them?

On a totally separate note, today is my CAG b-day. Buy me presents. :p

[quote name='StinkyCheese']Once the demo comes out for the people who havent pre-ordered , I'm willing to play[/quote]

Public demo's been out for a few days now, I just grabbed it off Steam the other night. 4-5 days til you can't play it anymore.

Only played through it on 1P really quickly. I liked it okay, would imagine that I would like good co-op play A LOT. However, I agree that $45 is a touch high. I'm gonna stick with TF2 until the price comes down.

I don't think its overpriced. If you only take into account the campaigns then yes, but I think the real game will be the vs mode. This looks like it will unbelievably fun and cause mass hysteria when countless gamers are presumed missing after skipping work and ignoring friends to play it 24/7. Regardless, Pre-load complete and cant wait for the full release...

the game is pretty cool but i can see it getting old pretty fast. fast zombies are fun and the weapons work well too but im not overly wowed by it. you can only be scared by the swarms so often before you get over the excietment of it. i dont like the limitation on explosives carrying.

[quote name='Tachikoma']I don't think its overpriced. If you only take into account the campaigns then yes, but I think the real game will be the vs mode. This looks like it will unbelievably fun and cause mass hysteria when countless gamers are presumed missing after skipping work and ignoring friends to play it 24/7. Regardless, Pre-load complete and cant wait for the full release...[/quote]

TF2 standalone is what, $20 on Steam? I think $30-40 would be reasonable. $45-50 seems a bit steep, and I definitely wouldn't pay $60 for the 360 version.

Thanks for noticing Tarman doctorfaustus:)

I've pre-loaded as well, I seriously can't wait to see how the versus turns out. I'm definitely glad I only payed $45 for this, my current machine gets sub-par fps yea, but I can avoid XBL/DLC fees. Surprising to me is that the game still looks good with everything down to lowest.

[quote name='grndoom']Thanks for noticing Tarman doctorfaustus:)

I've pre-loaded as well, I seriously can't wait to see how the versus turns out. I'm definitely glad I only payed $45 for this, my current machine gets sub-par fps yea, but I can avoid XBL/DLC fees. Surprising to me is that the game still looks good with everything down to lowest.[/QUOTE]

I purchasded this game on amazon for 40.00

I cant wait to play the full version

Just went to try and buy it, but no luck. The system is probably flagging my credit card info, since I am from the States, but located in Canada for right now. I guess I will have to go hunting on Monday for a copy, it should not be to hard though.

I really am looking forward to this, it is alot of fun on the Demo and the final version is just going to rock.

[quote name='UndyingForce']I purchasded this game on amazon for 40.00

I cant wait to play the full version[/quote]

It's $45 on Amazon. Anyways I was really looking forward to this but had no intention of buying it since I felt $45 was a steep price for a limited campaign mode. But after playing the demo everyday for the past week, I have no choice but to buy it. I figure Valve will keep releasing free major updates, like they do for TF2 (which is probably the best deal I've ever gotten for a game).

My question is how long do you guys think it will take Valve to lower the price on L4D? I got TF2 for $20 but that was this summer, after it had been out for a while.

[quote name='TheBiz']It's $45 on Amazon. Anyways I was really looking forward to this but had no intention of buying it since I felt $45 was a steep price for a limited campaign mode. But after playing the demo everyday for the past week, I have no choice but to buy it. I figure Valve will keep releasing free major updates, like they do for TF2 (which is probably the best deal I've ever gotten for a game).

My question is how long do you guys think it will take Valve to lower the price on L4D? I got TF2 for $20 but that was this summer, after it had been out for a while.[/QUOTE]

you get another 5 dollars off right after you enter your credit card info.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201779

Since no one has asked, which do you all think is a better version: 360 or PC? I'll probably stick with the PC version, simply because I use my computer more than I do the 360.

I do have some complaints with the game.

#1 - You don't have really any connections with the characters. What is the story and backgrounds from all the characters. I think that if this game had that, it would be better.

#2 - The Dead Rising Issue - I find satisfaction clearing out the rooms, what is not fun is spend all this time clearing out areas only to see the Zombies respawn in that area. It is what I hated with Dead Rising and why I quit the game all together.

#3 - There really is no story. You move from point A to point B. There really isn't any story to the single player missions.

The Good:
#1 - The AI is damn good.. a lot of shooters, just write it down, Left 4 Dead has great AI, figure out how they do it and copy it.

#2 - The game and maps look good and even without the sound (i had to play a bit on mute because of the wife sleeping on the couch next to me). Highly immersive. I would have liked them to put this together with a good story like the Walking Dead or something.

Yeah, I do agree with what you said about the respawning zombies and the story line.

However, they haven't ruled out a story line just, I mean if you played the beginning of Portal it didn't look like much story was going on, but then the farther you got in, the more story you get. I still think there very well could be some cool plot elements added in later.

[quote name='darthbudge']Yeah, I do agree with what you said about the respawning zombies and the story line.

However, they haven't ruled out a story line just, I mean if you played the beginning of Portal it didn't look like much story was going on, but then the farther you got in, the more story you get. I still think there very well could be some cool plot elements added in later.[/QUOTE]

Even with that twist near the middle, Portal's story line was still almost non-existent. Yes, it was a neat gimmick and everyone loved the lie about the cake, but it was a mediocre story line.

I really don't care if there's much of a story line in L4D, blasting away at zombies is good enough. The way I see it, L4D is just a Zombie laden Gauntlet.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Even with that twist near the middle, Portal's story line was still almost non-existent. Yes, it was a neat gimmick and everyone loved the lie about the cake, but it was a mediocre story line.

I really don't care if there's much of a story line in L4D, blasting away at zombies is good enough. The way I see it, L4D is just a Zombie laden Gauntlet.[/quote]

I personally loved the story in Portal. I thought it was awesome, even though there wasn't a lot there.

Either way, I do agree with you. This is one of those old school co-op games, not much story but you get to have fun playing with friends and killing stuff.

Also, I can't wait to pick up the game tomorrow. :D

[quote name='NTolerance']I'm glad there's little "story" in this game. I don't need an excuse to shoot at zombies.[/quote]

it's not about that.. it's about being emotionally attached to the 4 characters in the game... it's about why are these 4 together and what is driving them to kill the zombies? Why are they going through these particular locations?

[quote name='DJSteel']it's not about that.. it's about being emotionally attached to the 4 characters in the game... it's about why are these 4 together and what is driving them to kill the zombies? Why are they going through these particular locations?[/QUOTE]

That's cool and I'm sure most gamers agree with you but I just like shooting things and the extent of my emotional requirement from the game is the satisfaction I get from the zombies' heads exploding.

[quote name='NTolerance']That's cool and I'm sure most gamers agree with you but I just like shooting things and the extent of my emotional requirement from the game is the satisfaction I get from the zombies' heads exploding.[/quote]

no doubt.. I just feel like, why do I care that one of my partners die? If it has no effect on me or the end goal.

[quote name='DJSteel']no doubt.. I just feel like, why do I care that one of my partners die? If it has no effect on me or the end goal.[/quote]

Well, that is why they push the online co-op. That way it isn't Bill dying it is *insert friends name here* dying.

[quote name='darthbudge']Well, that is why they push the online co-op. That way it isn't Bill dying it is *insert friends name here* dying.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='DJSteel']it's not about that.. it's about being emotionally attached to the 4 characters in the game... it's about why are these 4 together and what is driving them to kill the zombies? Why are they going through these particular locations?[/QUOTE]
The unsuspecting 4 survivors were sitting at home in their top story apartment complexes drinking tea (except for Louis, he's doing something stereotypical) and doing other bad-ass shit when they each, in their own way, notice that something is going on outside. They look out their respective windows and see, oh shit, there are zombies outside in the streets.

l4d1wu9.jpg

Zoey climbs out of her window and uses the fire escape to reach the top of her building. Francis revs up the motorcycle he had in his closet and makes a ramp using his sofa and jumps it dramatically out of his window onto a nearby roof, but not before having to jump off his bike in mid air to just barely reach the ledge. Zoey sees Francis struggling to climb the ledge and, after making sure he's not a zombie with an awkward conversation, she helps him up. After two hours of steamy unprotected animal sex, Zoey and Francis make their way towards the hospital covered in search lights by sticking to the roof so as to avoid zombies.

l4d2tu4.jpg

Louis has taken the week off to spend time with his family. Unfortunately, when he arrived home last Monday, he found that his wife had left him and taken his daughter with her. The grieving Louis decides that he is going to kill himself and proceeds to his window to commit auto-defenestration where he discovers that there are zombies outside. Realizing that he would be brought back to life if he were to kill himself now thanks to the zombies, he decides to hold off on his death and instead pops a ton of pain pills. High on life, he proceeds to his rooftop to make his way towards the hospital for more pain pills, the really good kind.

Bill lives in a retirement apartment complex, a seasoned war veteran long abandoned by his family when they bought a puppy. Bill spends most of his nights alone remembering his days in Nam. When he gets up in the middle of the night to take a piss out his window, he discovers the zombies. Bill is suddenly thrown into a violent wartime flashback and mistakes the zombies for vietcong. Determined not to be captured and placed into a POW camp again, Bill escapes from his apartment, grabbing his smokes on the way out. He makes for the hospital hoping to meet his buddy Charlie.

l4d3bt8.jpg

Bill and Louis eventually meet on the rooftops and take comfort in each other's loss of family. After two hours of steamy unprotected animal sex, Bill and Louis make their way towards the hospital covered in search lights by sticking to the roof so as to avoid zombies.

Eventually the entire crew meets on top of the same building when a helicopter flies by and lets them know that evacuation awaits them at the hospital...

l4d4uy4.jpg

bread's done
Back