Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volume 6 - $14.99 @ Hastings

darkwingduck13

CAGiversary!
Dunno if this has already been posted or not, or even if it's a YMMV...I think there's a good chance that it's a chain-wide markdown, though, so I'm posting it anyway.

MST3K Volume 6 was stickered at $14.99 yesterday at my Hastings. Sitting right next to it was another volume, but I'm not sure which...it was marked at (I think) $34.99. Since I didn't have much cash, I didn't pay as much attention to that one, even though I'd love to have all the volumes.

Check your local Hastings if you're interested...retail price on these sets seems to be in the $50 range, so even the $35 price is a decent deal.

:D

Heck yeah, it's awesome, and for $15 I wasn't about to let it out of my hands. My store had 2 copies of the set that I bought...my friend went to get the last one today. It comes with 3 of the movies, and 1 disc full of short films. The packaging is even very well-done, in the style of the show.

If you could get your hands on one of these for me for $15, I'd be glad to pay you back. PM if we can work something out. Or email me

MST3K is the greatest show in the history of the entire known and as-of-yet-undiscovered universe. End of discussion.

[quote name='dustyeff']MST3K is the greatest show in the history of the entire known and as-of-yet-undiscovered universe. End of discussion.[/quote]

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='dustyeff']MST3K is the greatest show in the history of the entire known and as-of-yet-undiscovered universe. End of discussion.[/quote][/quote]

/what they said

You have not lived a full life until you've watched a janitor and two robots make fun of "Pod People," "Prince of Space," "Manos: Hands of Fate," and the immortal "The Final Sacrifice."

EDIT'D: Misspelled Prince, oopsie.

You're forgetting "Time Chasers."

Guy on movie: "What time is it?"
Other guy on movie looks at his watch.
One of the guys watching the movie: "It's dork-thirty."

[quote name='darkwingduck13']You're forgetting "Time Chasers."

:D[/quote]

There are far too many great lines to possible quote, so I'll just say this:

"There goes a Narwhal!" :lol:

So has anyone else gotten in on this? With this much of a price drop, I'm surprised more people aren't out looking for it.
I guess the show did have a kind of cult following though...wasn't nearly as popular as it should have been. :(

[quote name='darkwingduck13']You're forgetting "Time Chasers."

:D[/quote]

"oh honey, just a floppy disc for breakfast?"

i love that episode XoD

i have somewhere around 150 eps on tape

how many movies are on these volume sets. weird that scifi channel doesn't have episodes on. show was good i would luv to own every one

[quote name='cag1000']how many movies are on these volume sets. weird that scifi channel doesn't have episodes on. show was good i would luv to own every one[/quote]

The sets either have four movies, or three movies and a collection of shorts (like educational films shown in schools in the 1950s)

I also love MST3K!! I'll have to go to one of my local Hastings and check this out for myself.

Speaking of MST3K, who could forget that holiday classic: "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"?! :shock:

[quote name='Danimal'][quote name='cag1000']how many movies are on these volume sets. weird that scifi channel doesn't have episodes on. show was good i would luv to own every one[/quote]

The sets either have four movies, or three movies and a collection of shorts (like educational films shown in schools in the 1950s)[/quote]

yea i will prob start grabbing these soon. so they are up to 6 sets? How many episodes were there total? I would only like to start collecting these if i can see the end of the boxsets in the future.

I think it may be a pricing error at Hastings, I picked it up about 2 months ago for that price, and it was the last copy they had. I assumed it was a local pricing mistake so I didn't say anything, guess I was wrong.

[quote name='cag1000']

yea i will prob start grabbing these soon. so they are up to 6 sets? How many episodes were there total? I would only like to start collecting these if i can see the end of the boxsets in the future.[/quote]

I'm not sure how many episodes they made altogether, but Punqsux mentioned earlier in this thread that he has around 150 on tape. They won't ever have the entire run of the show on DVD. It's not a show with ongoing storylines, so gaps in the collection don't really matter. I have the first four sets, not sure why I never got around to picking up 5 and 6 yet, but I highly recommend the show.

there are roughly 200 episodes (if you count the ktma season)

bbi (best brains inc) has lost the rights to air or distribute almost all of the movies that were on the show, so sadly it'll prolly never come back on the air, and very few more will be put on dvd.

I just bought "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" on DVD the non-Mst version..I made my wife watch it with me before christmas...I told her it was a holiday classic...I slept on the sofa that night. Rule #1 when your married don't get caught lying.

Volume 6 is 3 movies and the Mr. B's Lost Shorts thing. The other 5 volumes all have either 4 movies or 3 movies plus one of the other 2 Shorts specials.

MST3K is my favorite show of all time. I have nearly every episode on DVD now. Most were transferred from first generation VHS I taped myself but I had to get some of the season 1s and KTMAs online. I went out early last year and bought a DVD recorder for 700 bucks just to put them all on DVD. Didn't know the prices on recorders would drop like a rock so fast. DOH!

[quote name='Rhinox']I just bought "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" on DVD the non-Mst version..I made my wife watch it with me before christmas...I told her it was a holiday classic...I slept on the sofa that night. Rule #1 when your married don't get caught lying.[/quote]

News Reporter at the North Pole: "Here we are, kiddies, the North Pole. There's only one place to go from here..."
Crow T. Robot: "Straight to HELL!"

[quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='Rhinox']I just bought "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" on DVD the non-Mst version..I made my wife watch it with me before christmas...I told her it was a holiday classic...I slept on the sofa that night. Rule #1 when your married don't get caught lying.[/quote]

News Reporter at the North Pole: "Here we are, kiddies, the North Pole. There's only one place to go from here..."
Crow T. Robot: "Straight to HELL!"

:D[/quote]Funny quote, and your avatar brings back fond memories of watching that show when I was a kid, also brings back memories of Tale Spin.

[quote name='cag1000']if i buy vol 1 dvd boxset will it be in cronilogical order?[/quote]

No. Each of the boxsets is basically a "Best Of" compilation. There is about a snowball's chance in hell that all the episodes will be released.

[quote name='Ledhed']Robot Roll Call!

Cambot![/quote]
[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Gypsy![/quote]
[quote name='darkwingduck13']Tom Servo! :D[/quote]
[quote name='punqsux']CROOOOOOOW!!!!!![/quote]
Lets see if I remember the rest "If you're wondering how he eats and breaths and other science facts... *lalala* ...just repeat to yourself, its just a show, I should really just relax, for Mystery Science Theatre Three-thousaaaand *electric guitar rift* "

[quote name='guardian_owl']Lets see if I remember the rest "If you're wondering how he eats and breaths and other science facts... *lalala* ...just repeat to yourself, its just a show, I should really just relax, for Mystery Science Theatre Three-thousaaaand *electric guitar rift* "[/quote]

That's it. Now, from the beggining:

In the not-too-distant future--
Next Sunday A.D.--
There was a guy named Joel,
Not too different from you or me.
He worked at Gizmonic Institute,
Just another face in a red jumpsuit.
He did a good job cleaning up the place,
But his bosses didn't like him
So they shot him into space.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find (la-la-la).
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
Now keep in mind Joel can't control
Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)
Because he used those special parts
To make his robot friends.

Robot Roll Call: (Let's go!)
Cambot! (Pan left!)
Gypsy! (Hi, girl!)
Tom Servo! (What a cool guy!)
Croooow! (What a wisecracker!)

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax
For Mystery Science Theater 3000!

[quote name='TXboxGuY']"GAMERA is really neat! GAMERA is made of meat!"

:rofl:

OMG . . . I loved this show!

....sweeet, no longer a NEWBie :!:[/quote]

Not to be outdone.

Gamera is really neat.
Gamera is filled with meat.
We all love you, Gamera.

Shell,
Teeth,
Eyes,
Claws,
Scales,
Breath,
Fun.

Gamera's enchantment still grows.
He fills our hearts with love.
Gamera's the latest thing.
He fills our hearts with spring, spring, spring!
Anytime you want some moonbeams,
Gamera is the thing.

Gamera is really neat,
He is filled with turtle meat.
We all love you, GAMERA!!!

[quote name='TXboxGuY']"GAMERA is really neat! GAMERA is made of meat!"

....sweeet, no longer a NEWBie :!:[/quote] [-X
"Gamera is really neat. Gamera is full of meat."

edit: guess I had it right the first time with "full of meat", either there are wild inconsistencies of transcripts on the internet or they sang different variations of it many times and I am only remembering this iteration.

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='TXboxGuY']"GAMERA is really neat! GAMERA is made of meat!"

....sweeet, no longer a NEWBie :!:[/quote] [-X
"Gamera is really neat. Gamera is full of meat."[/quote]

Thanks. That was totally from memory. I have very few eps. on tape. I do have one with Jet Jaguar though.

What was the movie that had TS singing to a dead turtle spinning on a turntable?

Crow: "You realize a robot just sang a love song to a dead turtle?"

EDIT: IIRC, it was "Oh, Tibby" (the song) ...or a name similar

hehe, found it from Viking Women vs. the Sea Serpent

Waffles, We Love you
[On the satellite:]

CROW & TOM: Waffles! Waffles! Waffles! Waffles!

JOEL: Join us, everybody! Come on, Cambot, give me tripleberry!

[music starts]

W is for the many ways that you're served

CROW: A is for the admiration you deserve

GYPSY: F because you're fluffy, you're flaky, you're fun!

TOM: And F is for the flavor that is second ta none!

JOEL: L is for how light you are, you melt in my mouth!

ALL: E is for eggs--Oh Baby!

TOM: Triple time!

ALL: Put 'em all together with a how-do-ya-do
Lovely waffles we love--

GYPSY: Send me up another please!

ALL: Oh, waffles we love--

TOM: Top mine off with runny cheese!

ALL: Waffles we love--

CROW: Chili waffles suit me fine!

ALL: Waffles we love--

JOEL: Wash me down with Aunt Jemima?

ALL: Waaaaaaaffffles, wee love youuuu!

JOEL: Whadda ya think, sirs?

[In Deep 13:]

DR. FORRESTER: Let's face it, sticky fingers, waffles are nothing more than a vehicle for butter and syrup. Heh heh heh heh!

[On the satellite:]

ALL: WHAT?!

JOEL: They are not!

CROW: Hey! You watch your mouth about waffles!

Seems to be YMMV.

Saw new clearance DVD's (Hero and Ladykillers), though the buy 1 get one for a penny deal is dead but "should be back soon".

They had also clearanced rental copies of POP:WW, Paper Mario: TTYD and Pikmin 2 (all Gamecube) to 29.99. They also clearanced rental copies of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent to 29.99.

Just a little info that I know about the show.

1) What was previously released on Rhino and through the MST3K Fan Club is what is being transferred to DVD now. So if you check the release list you'll get a pretty good assumption of what's to come.

2) They can't get the rights to all of the episodes (minus KTMA, which there are no known copies of 1 and 2), because for some of the movies the producers/writers/directors were insulted at the jokes made. So they would have to pay $$ to get that movie, if they could get it at all.

3) There is one really good place online that sells MST3K tapes and DVDs. He is a reputable guy...when I get home I'll post a link to his site. But you won't find anything here that you can buy in the stores...he won't copy those for you.

Mike Nelson is hilarious! If you haven't read his books, you should.

bread's done
Back