PC questions..

whoknows

CAGiversary!
Feedback
86 (99%)
I don't know much about PC's so I have a few questions for anyone nice enough to answer.

What is the difference between the Celeron and Pentium processor. All I know is the Pentium is better but i dont know why.

How good is the AMD Sempro processor. I have just heard of it and know nothing about it.

Also I was looking in the Best Buy ad and saw a computer by a company called Insignia. Do they make just really bad PC's because I was looking at it and it has a P4 2.8ghz processor 512mb ram 60 gig hd dvd cdrw combo drive all for $429...if its that cheap I am thinking its not a very good pc anyone know anything about them?

[quote name='twiztidjester']AMD Athalon all the way.

How much was it before rebates?[/quote]

it was $769.97 before the rebates

The new celeron D processors kick ass. The difference is mainly the cache 256K in the celly and 1mb in teh new P4s. I just got a celeron d 330 @ 2.66ghz and its nice. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and it screams.

[quote name='bignick']The new celeron D processors kick ass. The difference is mainly the cache 256K in the celly and 1mb in teh new P4s. I just got a celeron d 330 @ 2.66ghz and its nice. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and it screams.[/quote]

So...the Celeron D processor isn't as bad as people say. Maybe I should get one.
Do you think a Celeron would be able to run Doom 3?

[quote name='whoknows'][quote name='bignick']The new celeron D processors kick ass. The difference is mainly the cache 256K in the celly and 1mb in teh new P4s. I just got a celeron d 330 @ 2.66ghz and its nice. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and it screams.[/quote]

So...the Celeron D processor isn't as bad as people say. Maybe I should get one.
Do you think a Celeron would be able to run Doom 3?[/quote]

not sure. check some review sites. I use it for video encoding, so all that matters is the speed, I dotn play games on the pc.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron.html

Looks like it would be ok at med quality with a good vid card. The Celeron Ds run on the prescott core, so make sure your mobo can support it. If you are getting a new mobo and cpu get the socket 775 with execute disable bit.

[quote name='bignick']The new celeron D processors kick ass. The difference is mainly the cache 256K in the celly and 1mb in teh new P4s. I just got a celeron d 330 @ 2.66ghz and its nice. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and it screams.[/quote]

Is it a pre-assembled PC? How is the heat situation?

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='bignick']The new celeron D processors kick ass. The difference is mainly the cache 256K in the celly and 1mb in teh new P4s. I just got a celeron d 330 @ 2.66ghz and its nice. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and it screams.[/quote]

Is it a pre-assembled PC? How is the heat situation?[/quote]

Home built. At full load it reaches maybe 40C with stock heat sink and fan. With no case fans its about 42C at full load. I use an Antec SX835II with 5 fans 3 intake and 2 exaust. They run much cooler than their P4 counterparts.

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.jsp?invite=MEYm5F7p7PYL2zOz8aOh&callback=slideshow

I built a relative a computer using the 2.4 ghz celeron D, and i thought it kicked ass too. It was also a whole lot cheaper than the P4!

[quote name='tornadomann'][quote name='bignick']The new celeron D processors kick ass. The difference is mainly the cache 256K in the celly and 1mb in teh new P4s. I just got a celeron d 330 @ 2.66ghz and its nice. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and it screams.[/quote]

I built a relative a computer using the 2.4 ghz celeron D, and i thought it kicked ass too. It was also a whole lot cheaper than the P4![/quote]

most definately. They are atleast half the cost of the same speed P4.

i'd still go amd. more bang for the buck. and the diff. b/w celerys and p4's is that p4 have larger L2 cache sizes. as for this insignia company, they're probably a company that only serves best buy (many small companies do these kind of licensing deals) and probably use no name components to save money. make sure they give you a good warranty.

All my Celerons suck compared to my P4. The fast ram cache on the processors seems to make a big difference in performance in my experience.

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='tornadomann'][quote name='bignick']The new celeron D processors kick ass. The difference is mainly the cache 256K in the celly and 1mb in teh new P4s. I just got a celeron d 330 @ 2.66ghz and its nice. I have it overclocked to 3.2 and it screams.[/quote]

I built a relative a computer using the 2.4 ghz celeron D, and i thought it kicked ass too. It was also a whole lot cheaper than the P4![/quote]

most definately. They are atleast half the cost of the same speed P4.[/quote]
I think I got that one off NewEgg for like $70, and the P4 of that speed at the time was like $200!

[quote name='CrimsonGeist']i'd still go amd. more bang for the buck. and the diff. b/w celerys and p4's is that p4 have larger L2 cache sizes. as for this insignia company, they're probably a company that only serves best buy (many small companies do these kind of licensing deals) and probably use no name components to save money. make sure they give you a good warranty.[/quote]

The new celeron D is better than the sempron.

I have the same thing, and I agree, they are very nice...

Ok, now my question is if I can go with a P4 instead of a Celeron D does that mean I should?

And thanks to all that answered

[quote name='whoknows']Ok, now my question is if I can go with a P4 instead of a Celeron D does that mean I should?

And thanks to all that answered[/quote]

Depends what you want to use it for and how much you want to spend. If it's for gaming and you plan to have it for a while, a P4 with a larger cache or an AMD 64 will probably serve you better than the Celeron. Don't forget, if it's for gaming your vid card and ram will also play a major impact in your performance, not just the processor.

[quote name='whoknows']What is the difference between the Celeron and Pentium processor. All I know is the Pentium is better but i dont know why.[/quote]
Back when they were first introduced Celerons didn't have a L2 cache and Pentiums did. The Celeron was targeted toward the average user that only needed a computer for typing and email. Nowadays Celerons do have L2 cache but they are only a fraction the size of the Pentium 4. If you plan on using your computer for game (especially for the next 2 or 3 generations) then get a Pentium 4. AMD is actually better then Intel but I wouldn't bore you with the details since you only ask about Celeron vs Pentium.

[quote name='whoknows']How good is the AMD Sempro processor. I have just heard of it and know nothing about it.[/quote][link= [url]http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040728/index.html[/url] ]Did you mean this?[/link] I haven't read to much about it but it seems to be AMD's answer to Intel's Celeron line.

[quote name='whoknows']Also I was looking in the Best Buy ad and saw a computer by a company called Insignia. Do they make just really bad PC's because I was looking at it and it has a P4 2.8ghz processor 512mb ram 60 gig hd dvd cdrw combo drive all for $429...if its that cheap I am thinking its not a very good pc anyone know anything about them?[/quote] I would be leery of any company I've never heard of. It's most likely made of shoddy parts like a previous poster said.

Edit: Bah, I can't seem to figure out how to make a link work. :(

bread's done
Back