Most Over Rated Game of All Time

CrimsonGeist

CAGiversary!
What do you think is the most over rated game of all time? IMO, GTA:SA is one of them.(Don't really know whats the most over rated.) I died twice because these trees materialized out of nowhere and I crashed my plane into them. Graphics deserved a 6! And a game with a graphics of 6 can't get a 9.6! Maybe 9.2 though :lol: . But don't get me wrong I love the game. Halo is another nominee. Great game but repetitive level design. Maybe I feel that way because when my pc messed up, I had to play that horrid Library level again on legendary!

HaLO2 GtA:SA DS everything NGC, Basically everygame that ever got more than one preview. That's what you want to here, and that's what your going to here, becaus e most people nowadays have nothing better to do thatn bitch :p

I pray that a mod closes this flame bait before it escalates any further. This was a stupid idea and the OP needs to be eviserated.

Soul Calibur 2. If you can remember the hype. I said two weeks after the game came out, no one would be talking about it. Everyone laughed at me. I was right.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']HaLO2 GtA:SA DS everything NGC, Basically everygame that ever got more than one preview. That's what you want to here, and that's what your going to here, becaus e most people nowadays have nothing better to do thatn bitch :p

I pray that a mod closes this flame bait before it escalates any further. This was a stupid idea and the OP needs to be eviserated.[/quote]

:ziplip:

Metal Gear Solid. I say this from playing Twin Snakes on Gamecube, so maybe that game just didn't capture whatever makes MGS good, but I just really don't like the game very much.

Halo 2 as far as hype

but since I monstly play RPGs for most over rated I'm going with Xenogears with Valkyrie Profile running a very close second.

Also GTA SA wasn't over rated except by idiots who seemed to thing it would be somehow different from the 2 previous games and gamming magazines that rate everything popular to high.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Metal Gear Solid. I say this from playing Twin Snakes on Gamecube, so maybe that game just didn't capture whatever makes MGS good, but I just really don't like the game very much.[/quote]

don't say anything bad about the game until you cock punch a guard with your stealth camo on

and if we are looking at this generation I would say PoP:SOT and Freedom Fighters. Both games get really boring and really repetitive, really fast. I got about 80 percent through PoP and more than halfway through FF before putting them down

And Although I have not played it, Halo 2 is def. on my list. That game was so overhyped no way it could match the hype. When every thread on the front page of the Xbox board is a Halo 2 topic, and you get flamed for trying to clean up the board because there are other games coming out besides Halo, you kind of hate the game

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Metal Gear Solid. I say this from playing Twin Snakes on Gamecube, so maybe that game just didn't capture whatever makes MGS good, but I just really don't like the game very much.[/quote]

The orginal was better on the psone. The gamecube version is to easy with the added first person aiming.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Metal Gear Solid. I say this from playing Twin Snakes on Gamecube, so maybe that game just didn't capture whatever makes MGS good, but I just really don't like the game very much.[/quote]

don't say anything bad about the game until you cock punch a guard with your stealth camo on

and if we are looking at this generation I would say PoP:SOT and Freedom Fighters. Both games get really boring and really repetitive, really fast. I got about 80 percent through PoP and more than halfway through FF before putting them down

And Although I have not played it, Halo 2 is def. on my list. That game was so overhyped no way it could match the hype. When every thread on the front page of the Xbox board is a Halo 2 topic, and you get flamed for trying to clean up the board because there are other games coming out besides Halo, you kind of hate the game[/quote]

Cock punch!? Maybe I should play a little more.

Both Halos. I also agree with Soul Cali 2. Most media unanimously declared it the greatest fighting, or at least 3d fighting game of all time. IMO, Virtua Fighter 4 is light years ahead of it in terms of depth. So much better of a fighting game all around. And I just got bored with SC2 after a while. There's been tons of over-rated games throughout the ages, but I'd have to say Halo takes the cake, with Halo 1 a close second.

Easily H2, best game ever my ass I felt like beating anyone that said that with a baseball bat (which was a lot of people I would have been busy for a looong time) followed by GTA (VC and SA) and SCII (not close to best fighting game). Then we cant forget Fable too.....wow so many overrated games

This went from most overrated game to an issue of most overhyped pretty quickly, am I the only one that doesnt really think they are the same thing?

For just shear overated, Halo 2 (and Halo 1 for that matter). It's just a standard FPS and very repetitive, yet got near perfect reviews. I would say Chronicles of Riddick had a better single person adventure, much more variety. I am not saying Halo 1 or 2 are bad games, they are good, but not great games.

FFVII which was more of a movie than a game.

Tomb Raider with it's awkward clunky controls

We must have one of these topics every month, so let this one go down in flames like the rest.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Anything with the words "Final Fantasy," "Grand Theft Auto," or "Resident Evil" in their titles.[/quote]

GRRRRRRRRRR At FF.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Anything with the words "Final Fantasy," "Grand Theft Auto," or "Resident Evil" in their titles.[/quote]

GRRRRRRRRRR At FF.[/quote]

What he said except replace FF with RE.
Also WSB didn't seem to mention Halo....Hmm green avatar and not mentioning halo can only mean one thing His avatar is really the Mighty Morphing Master WSB :D

Halo/Halo2, GTA3,4&5. And as much as I enjoy the game, I would have to agree with Soul Calibur II as well. Oh, and anything FFVII or beyond (although I haven't played FFCC, but it wasn't very highly rated either).

i might get flamed for this... but i thought metroid: prime was way overrated. i got it and it was cool for about 3 days, then it just got crappy, i hated the auto lock function it took away from the first person...

also mario kart: dd only because it was way too easy, i dont remember ever really losing a race... i was extremely disappointed with it

Doom 3 was so disappointing to me, but at the same time I don't think all that many people liked it anyway, so maybe it doesn't count.

Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite FF, but everything after that sucks.

Resident Evil (with the exception of the incredible looking fourth installment) has never been appealing to me, either.

I was gonna say Halo, but then I thought about it more, and its context, and I think I get why Halo is so big, even though I'm not really into it. As a console title, I can see why it's a phenomenon.

Then I was gonna say GTA: SA, but again I think objectively it's a pretty amazing game with a lot going on. It just doesn't have quite the same impact for me because I played the previous two.

I think I'm gonna have to nominate FFVII. I just could not get past the primitive character art and animation, and some of the characterizations. The combat also left me wanting too. I like Wild Arms a lot more. It was more conventional and didn't have FFVII's ambition, but it clicked.

Personally, I would have to say:

Halo
Halo 2
And any and all Final Fantasies.

I believe all of these games were overrated...

[quote name='Maverick CRV']Fable. Fable. Fable.

I was expecting an Elder Scrolls-esque, free-roaming RPG, and I got a steaming pile of dung. Most. Overhyped. Ever.[/quote]

Agreed. I commonly refer to it as "Crapple."

I'm gonna go to what my friend stated was the downfall of Rare, Donkey Kong 64. Everyone was hyping up that game so much before it came out because of the DKC series. I still remember popping in the cartridge with my friend next to me and hearing the DK Rap for the first time. We sat there with our mouths wide open, not believing what we just heard.

Sure the hype has been bad on the games that were mentioned before, but DK 64 wasn't even that good of a gameplay experience, period.

People mentioning Fable have a good point. It didn't turn out near as good as I hoped, and I quickly forgot about it.

I'll say most Square games and Star Wars games are overrated. I'm not saying they're bad (I love KOTOR, FF VI/X, etc.), but some people give them an extra point or two (or more) just because of the fact that they're Square games or Star Wars games. Front Mission 4 is a good example -- I disliked it, but most reviewers scored it high.

Most overrated, in my opinion, is the Mario Party series. I absolutely hate those games and have no idea why anyone can have fun with them. Here's what I think, though, as always, it's just my opinion, and I know others disagree: http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/812E7AA9-CC71-4580-A7A6-D760C349F47D.htm

Threads like this aren't a great idea. :bomb:

But I must defend FF7, it was and is an amazing game. It's also deeper than most of you people give it credit for... [-X

Halo and Halo 2 are by far the most overrated games of all time. It is just another multiplayer FPS in the sea of FPS's - and on a console no less.

The second is the MGS series. Part 3 wasn't even a game it was a fucking cgi movie with 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay thrown in every so often. Nuff said.

And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.

[quote name='jimbodan']Halo, it's just an average FPS. There are tons better on the PC.[/quote]

When you say Halo, I'm guessing you mean the series. Yes, there are alot of better PC FPSs, but that's like comparing apples to oranges. When you compare Halo and Halo 2 to all other console FPSs, there is no comparison. Nothing is better.

[quote name='ViolentLee']People mentioning Fable have a good point. It didn't turn out near as good as I hoped, and I quickly forgot about it.

I'll say most Square games and Star Wars games are overrated. I'm not saying they're bad (I love KOTOR, FF VI/X, etc.), but some people give them an extra point or two (or more) just because of the fact that they're Square games or Star Wars games. Front Mission 4 is a good example -- I disliked it, but most reviewers scored it high.

Most overrated, in my opinion, is the Mario Party series. I absolutely hate those games and have no idea why anyone can have fun with them. Here's what I think, though, as always, it's just my opinion, and I know others disagree: http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/812E7AA9-CC71-4580-A7A6-D760C349F47D.htm[/quote]

Funny, I was thinking that the Donkey Kong Country series was one of the most overrated games I can remember.

It was a fun platformer, don't get me wrong. But because of the graphics technology used to develop the game, it was treated like the second coming of the messiah in previews; anything less than the most stellar platforming experience would have been a disappointment.

And it was a slightly above-average platformer.

Part of me also wants to nominate Killer Instinct.

myke.

[quote name='Scrubking']

And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. :applause:

I'm curious as to whether you mean overrated by the publisher, or overrated by the fans, they are two different concepts. One comes from the amount of money that one can shovel into advertising, and the other driven from pure passion of the fans.

I can understand being pissed at a company that over advertises a product, and then fails to deliver (cough, halo 2, cough) but it's kind of stupid to argue over what games people like to play.

It's as dumb as the old what is better, star wars, or star trek, or trying to argue which superhero would win in a fight.....

Let's try to focus our angst at the companies that screw us out of $50 (or in ID's case, 55), and not tell someone else they suck because they loved a certain game.

And for the record, as an objective point, GTA is a revolutionary game, despite it's sophomoric content, and will go down in video game history as one of the most influential games of the decade. Might as well accept that.

Killzone to me is a very over rated game. Too much hype as a Halo killer and even though it's a good game, it's not better than Halo.

I need time to think of most overrated but POP:SOT was really overated. It just got too repetitive i quit like hal;fway through. Yet it won a bunch of GOY awards. Now as for underrated Killzone was pretty underated. I thought it was excellent.

I don't think the first Halo was overrated, I don't remember much hype for it, it kind of just sneaked up on everyone. Halo 2 was probably the most hyped game of all time and while the online play is pretty damn good it's nowhere near as good as three years in devolopment should have made it.

[quote name='ZForce915']Final Fantasy VII. Nothing can live up to the hype it was given.[/quote]

This game DESERVED EVERY BIT OF HYPE! It was groundbreaking...

bread's done
Back