Anyone use VOIP? (Making telephone calls on a broadband line)*More questions

Xevious

CAGiversary!
I noticed there were some VOIP machines on sale at Compusa and Circuit City. I am planning to go to DSL soon and I like to hear from anyone using VOIP.

Is it as cheap as they say? How good are the calls?

Let me know what your experiences are. Thanks

From experience at my last two employers (one of which installs a lot of VoIP systems), they are just as good as regular phone. The only drawback is if there is a sudden surge in bandwidth usage, you will notice a decrease in quality (within certain boundaries, the VoIP was not a super bandwidth hog).

At one office with about 50 people, one or two machines got one of those bad viruses from a couple years back. Until we found those machines and got them fixed, their internet was dead slow and the phones were unusable most of the time.

On the residential front, one of the contractors that worked for my current employer was telling me that he got the RoadRunner cable/broadband/phone package, and it worked great, even when he was abusing his internet connection like a two dollar whore.

My primary (and only) phone is a VOIP phone, since I'm blacklisted from Verizon.

I use Packet8, for $19.99 a month, I get unlimited local, and 500 long distance minutes (that I don't use). The important thing to remember, is that upload speed is generally capped, so don't hog your upload speed with things like Bittorrent, otherwise you might get a little choppy. Though my service is pretty good about stealing bandwidth away from that too. Leave at least 8-10k of upload bandwidth available.

[quote name='"dafoomie"']My primary (and only) phone is a VOIP phone, since I'm blacklisted from Verizon.

:rofl:

please elaborate

[quote name='"bignick"'][quote name='dafoomie']My primary (and only) phone is a VOIP phone, since I'm blacklisted from Verizon.

please elaborate[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure an interested story ensues.

[quote name='"bignick"'][quote name='dafoomie']My primary (and only) phone is a VOIP phone, since I'm blacklisted from Verizon.

please elaborate[/quote]
Due to an error (their error), they came up with a 1 month bill, for a ground line, to be $4000. I tried to dispute, but they won't give me service until I pay.

This was about 5 years ago, when they were BellAtlantic. They still won't give me or my family service.

I use VOIP. Tried to use Vonage, but after a month of dicking around they couldn't give me a local area code...their top service is $24.99.

I'm now with ATT CallVantage. $29.99 a month gets me unlimited local and longdistance and a crap load of features that are managed from the web. My Voice Mail is emailed to me as audio files.

CC, BB, and CompUSA usually have starter kits with rebates that make them cheap or free. Also Vonage included a VOIP telephone adapter router with 4 ethernet ports. Call Vantage only gave me the telephone adapter. Had to buy a router separately.

So far the calls are great. Make sure you get your 911 service squared away.

[quote name='"dafoomie"'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='dafoomie']My primary (and only) phone is a VOIP phone, since I'm blacklisted from Verizon.

please elaborate[/quote]
Due to an error (their error), they came up with a 1 month bill, for a ground line, to be $4000. I tried to dispute, but they won't give me service until I pay.

This was about 5 years ago, when they were BellAtlantic. They still won't give me or my family service.[/quote]

You should submit a claim through the Better Business Bureau. I have been extremely pleased with the results I've gotten. Although, since this much time has pasted, you probably don't care (wouldn't blame you).

I read an article in Wired magazine last month about VOIP phone service. Basically there is no encryption or security features to prevent hackers from listening in. If your paranoid about privacy VOIP probably isn't for you.

I have Vonage since September 2004....For the longest time though I had problems with the dial tones...you know where certain numbers (like bank or certain offices) respond to the numbers you dial on your phone....I changed my phone to a 2.4 Ghz and that seems to be working fine now. It's $24.99 includes a lot of extras (call waiting, voice mail, blocking your calls) and unlimited long distance (not that I really need that). For some reason though recently I have been unable to fax ANYTHING....I don't know why though b/c I was able to fax fine about 2 months ago...I think they want to charge people to use their fax service to get a seperate line, I'm not sure....But otherwise call quality is ok...I used to have problems with my router while I was playing online with Xbox or PS2 but I think thats ok now (I figured it out by myself)....You have to have a credit card though and they take it out monthly automatically which could suck if you don't have enough money in your account...

I've been using Vonage for a month - I have no complaints. I'm signed up for the $14.99 500 minutes/month plan. You get all the extras from their other plan, sans extra minutes.

After a month of service, I can say anyone who has a choice between a Bell and VOIP that chooses a traditional land line is insane.

By the time taxes, fees, charges, etc were added to my local line, I was paying around $40/month in MD for less features - that's before I dialed any long distance.

God forbid there was a billing error with my old land line, I could guarantee it would take a lot of time on the phone with Verizon to fix, and by the end of the ordeal I'd be about ready to have a massive coronary.

The service is easy and simpler to use, the technology is rapidly maturing, and since there's a lot of companies trying to gain traction/market share some really good deals to be had.

Don't pass it up! You won't regret it!

Ok then. I am sold. I found Cruzincontrols post the most interesting because I am also playing to sign up for Xbox live. I hope I dont have any problems.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

[quote name='"dafoomie"'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='dafoomie']My primary (and only) phone is a VOIP phone, since I'm blacklisted from Verizon.

please elaborate[/quote]

This was about 5 years ago, when they were BellAtlantic. They still won't give me or my family service.[/quote]

Damn, that sucks. What dumbasses--$4000?!

I have used Vonage for almost a year now, and I am totally happy with them. I have heard stories of not able to get a local area code but if you port your number there should be no problem (i have heard problems about this and success about this). Call quality is great, and I can surf the net, talk on the phone, and play Socom 2 online with no problems. Also I have no problems with faxes like someone else mentioned.

Another thing people don't relize is you can put a phone line from the VOIP port to a unused phone outlet in your home. Then it feeds the signal to all of the phones in your home, but you have to disconnect the line from the phone company coming into your house (it has a signal on it because of a law allowing people to call 911 without phone service). I have a fax machine, and 5 phones running off of the vonage box with no problem.

[quote name='hutno']I read an article in Wired magazine last month about VOIP phone service. Basically there is no encryption or security features to prevent hackers from listening in. If your paranoid about privacy VOIP probably isn't for you.[/quote]

the other downside is, no reliable or consitent connection to 911/Emergency services.

the current Consumer Reports mag has a great story on VOIP.

[quote name='dwsscs']
Another thing people don't relize is you can put a phone line from the VOIP port to a unused phone outlet in your home. Then it feeds the signal to all of the phones in your home, but you have to disconnect the line from the phone company coming into your house (it has a signal on it because of a law allowing people to call 911 without phone service). I have a fax machine, and 5 phones running off of the vonage box with no problem.[/quote]

:shock: i am using a splitter on the line coming out of the tele adapter.

are you saying if i plug the line out of TA to the wall jack, I can have phones using the wall jacks in other rooms?

What do I have to do on the outside of the house (old land line coming in)?

My parents use a VOIP phone in Canada, which really comes in handy cause they can use area codes from anywhere, so they used the same one as my cell phone. This pretty much eliminates long distance charges on calls home that go like 1000 miles...

[quote name='gaelan'][quote name='dwsscs']
Another thing people don't relize is you can put a phone line from the VOIP port to a unused phone outlet in your home. Then it feeds the signal to all of the phones in your home, but you have to disconnect the line from the phone company coming into your house (it has a signal on it because of a law allowing people to call 911 without phone service). I have a fax machine, and 5 phones running off of the vonage box with no problem.[/quote]

:shock: i am using a splitter on the line coming out of the tele adapter.

are you saying if i plug the line out of TA to the wall jack, I can have phones using the wall jacks in other rooms?

What do I have to do on the outside of the house (old land line coming in)?

[/quote]

Yes that is what I am saying! You have to unscrew the screws on the box on the outside of your house, and disconnect the line jumper (a short telephone wire with stardard rj11 ends (the type you plug into the wall)).

Here is another question.

I called Earthlink to check out their DSL rates. They told me that I need a land line in order for the DSL cable to work.

SO I am confused. If I still need an account with a regular phone company to use my DSL, why would I use VOIP? Doesnt that defeat the purpose of VOIP? Or does the VOIP company take over the land line?

Please explain this to me? I appreciate all the help before.....

As of now, DSL is only bundled with a traditional landline. In the coming months, Verizon is said to offer DSL by itself. Wired was calling it 'naked' DSL.

hehe

I said Naked. ;) (too tempting)

If you plan on being a download monkey, then Cable is the way to go.

[quote name='Xevious']Here is another question.

I called Earthlink to check out their DSL rates. They told me that I need a land line in order for the DSL cable to work.

SO I am confused. If I still need an account with a regular phone company to use my DSL, why would I use VOIP? Doesnt that defeat the purpose of VOIP? Or does the VOIP company take over the land line?

Please explain this to me? I appreciate all the help before.....[/quote]

You need a land telephone line to get dsl, that is what the service is delivered through. You may or may not be able to get dsl without a land line, but that depends on the company and their may be a surcharge if you don't have local telephone service with them. The VOIP line does not take over you existing land line unless you port your current phone number over to them which you can do. But don't cancel your local service until the number is ported.

However if you get cable broadband, you can do away with the phone company and get a VOIP phone.

The point of using the VOIP is to save money. Where I live in a suburb of Atlanta, a basic phone line (no features - call waiting, caller id, anything) cost $28 after junk fees. Not including long distance either.

My vonage account is $28 after taxes, and I get unlimited calls to US and Canada, caller id, call waiting, call forwarding, voice mail, and some other stuff I don't use. You can also use the line to fax things also if you have a fax machine, or fax software.

I just get a better product at a better price, and thats the bottom line for me. I save about $40 a month in long distance also.

The main catch is you need a broadband or dsl connection to make it work. Which I have anyway, so it works out.

Also see my earlier post about hooking it up to all of the phones in your home.

please elaborate[/quote]

Oh man thats funny. Well, funny now, I guess. Isnt there a law that they have to provide you with 911 service or something like that. You should look into that and make them give it to you if they have to.

I've been using Vonage for a few months now, and it's awesome! Very cheap, no "one million phone company fees," and the quality is really good.

[quote name='"dwsscs"'][quote name='Xevious']Here is another question.

You can also use the line to fax things also if you have a fax machine, or fax software.

I just get a better product at a better price, and thats the bottom line for me. I save about $40 a month in long distance also.

The main catch is you need a broadband or dsl connection to make it work. Which I have anyway, so it works out.

Also see my earlier post about hooking it up to all of the phones in your home.[/quote]

After reading this I am wondering if you are indeed able to fax stuff at all without buying their seperate $9.99/mo fax service. I used to be able to fax anything and haven't been able since November. Someone let me know....

[quote name='"cruzincontrol"'][quote name='"dwsscs"'][quote name='Xevious']Here is another question.

You can also use the line to fax things also if you have a fax machine, or fax software.

Also see my earlier post about hooking it up to all of the phones in your home.[/quote]

No you don't need to pay the $10 for the fax line! Unless you just want a line just for faxing, which some people do if they use the fax a lot.

I've been with a provider called SunRocket for almost a month now. Love it so far. We got a deal where we paid $199 up front for the year, which comes out to about 17 bucks a month. Not bad considering our land line bill was ridiculous. We get unlimited national calling and something like 30 minutes per month of international.

[quote name='rawisjericho']I can't get broadband in my area. I wish I could though.[/quote]
ouch...well, when you do might be worth it for you to check into voip, if it's available where you are.

[quote name='nevposey']I've been with a provider called SunRocket for almost a month now. Love it so far. We got a deal where we paid $199 up front for the year, which comes out to about 17 bucks a month. Not bad considering our land line bill was ridiculous. We get unlimited national calling and something like 30 minutes per month of international.[/quote]

that's what i'm waiting for in my area...a yearly fee...better yet the life time fee ($999)

http://news.com.com/Till+death+do+you+part+from+your+phone+company/2100-7352_3-5479652.html?tag=nl

[quote name='gaelan'][quote name='nevposey']I've been with a provider called SunRocket for almost a month now. Love it so far. We got a deal where we paid $199 up front for the year, which comes out to about 17 bucks a month. Not bad considering our land line bill was ridiculous. We get unlimited national calling and something like 30 minutes per month of international.[/quote]

that's what i'm waiting for in my area...a yearly fee...better yet the life time fee ($999)

http://news.com.com/Till+death+do+you+part+from+your+phone+company/2100-7352_3-5479652.html?tag=nl[/quote]
jeez...that seems like a helluva deal. Don't know if I'd be that comfortable throwing down a grand up front, but hey, it could be a great deal. I'd be sure to check out the fine print on that.

With our SunRocket deal, if we want to give it up at anytime, we can get reimbursed for the months we don't use. I was fine with throwing down $200 for the year. If we don't like it, we'll get a refund for what we don't use. So far so good, though.

[quote name='dwsscs']Thats a cool deal! $17 a month is cheap, and it will only get cheaper over time. Hopefully![/quote]
I hope it gets cheaper. SunRocket was the cheapest we could find for what we thought was the best company. Been good to us so far. I've been reading a little bit about some new mobile phones that are going to be based around voip. Seems like the technology is really growing.

[quote name='Xevious']Is Sunrocket compatible with Xbox live ?[/quote]
As far as I know, most voip providers are compatible with Xbox live. I've talked to few people with voip who have seen somewhat of an interruption with voip and online gaming, but after a bit of tweaking, they have no problems. I haven't seen any interruption with my SunRocket service and Xbox live. Do you have voip right now?

something i have notice recently is that when trying to share files from my computer, my voip calls sound like shit...i think it is due to the huge amount of bits uploading...it also screws with my XBL gaming. Now, I just share files while sleeping or if I'm out of the house.

[quote name='gaelan']something i have notice recently is that when trying to share files from my computer, my voip calls sound like shit...i think it is due to the huge amount of bits uploading...it also screws with my XBL gaming. Now, I just share files while sleeping or if I'm out of the house.[/quote]
I think there are a few internet providers who have already announced they are heading in the direction of more bandwidth. I think one of the cable companies already announced it. So, I assume this will help with any slowdown because of limited bandwidth. Even now though, it's pretty amazing that we can do as much as we can with sharing files and using voip with the thousands of people who are sharing bandwidth. I don't really share a lot of big files anyway, so I haven't run into much of a problem with the sound quality on my phone.

im getting interested in voip. which one is better packet8 or vonage??
I don't know too much about either of them, but I think a few people here have them. Maybe somebody can help you out. I have SunRocket voip and like it a lot. I think it may be the cheapest one one available right now if you get the year plan. Quality is good too.

[quote name='guyver2077']im getting interested in voip. which one is better packet8 or vonage??[/quote]

depends on your area. usually quality is pretty standard across the board. availability and price is going to be the deciding factor.

[quote name='bignick']I just read that some ISPs are blockin VOIP ports so you have to switch to their service.[/quote]
What's the deal with this? You got a link? So the ISPs are supporting a certain VoIP provider?

[quote name='guyver2077']im getting interested in voip. which one is better packet8 or vonage??[/quote]
Just pick the one that has the best plan for you. Packet8 had a better plan for mostly local calls at the time, so I took it. Vonage has more features, but Packet8 is good too. If one of them requires a contract, don't use them.

[quote name='nevposey'][quote name='bignick']I just read that some ISPs are blockin VOIP ports so you have to switch to their service.[/quote]
What's the deal with this? You got a link? So the ISPs are supporting a certain VoIP provider?[/quote]
http://advancedippipeline.com/60400413

Whats happening is, a local phone company that provides DSL (they won't tell who it is) is blocking Vonage. This is illegal because an ISP is a Common Carrier. Being a common carrier basically means that you provide communications to anyone that can pay, and you don't discriminate whats being sent over your networks. This is their defense against the RIAA, MPAA, etc, they aren't liable for the user downloading stuff. But once they start filtering things, i.e. if Comcast started blocking every VOIP provider except their own, then they aren't common carriers anymore, and they're legally responsible for what goes over their network.

This'll get resolved fairly soon, I don't see the ISP even trying to win here. This is why no major provider really does this, it'll jeopardize their status as a common carrier, since its not based on what you claim to be, but by your company's actions.

Whats happening is, a local phone company that provides DSL (they won't tell who it is) is blocking Vonage. This is illegal because an ISP is a Common Carrier. Being a common carrier basically means that you provide communications to anyone that can pay, and you don't discriminate whats being sent over your networks. This is their defense against the RIAA, MPAA, etc, they aren't liable for the user downloading stuff. But once they start filtering things, i.e. if Comcast started blocking every VOIP provider except their own, then they aren't common carriers anymore, and they're legally responsible for what goes over their network.

This'll get resolved fairly soon, I don't see the ISP even trying to win here. This is why no major provider really does this, it'll jeopardize their status as a common carrier, since its not based on what you claim to be, but by your company's actions.
I think you're right. I can't see this going on much longer before the smackdown is handed to them. It's not fair business practice and they know it. I had no idea this was even going on. Glad my sunrocket service didn't get blocked. That would have sucked.

Is the local phone company supplying DSL also offering a voip service? must be, right?

[quote name='nevposey']

I think you're right. I can't see this going on much longer before the smackdown is handed to them. It's not fair business practice and they know it. I had no idea this was even going on. Glad my sunrocket service didn't get blocked. That would have sucked.

Is the local phone company supplying DSL also offering a voip service? must be, right?[/quote]
Don't know, as they won't say who they are. They're not putting their name out there, so they're probably trying to work with them. Could have been a lot of bad press for the ISP, if they wanted it.

Seems kinda ridiculous for the ISP to even consider doing something like that. That's just asking for trouble. Well, I'm sure it won't be a problem much longer.

Just pick the one that has the best plan for you. Packet8 had a better plan for mostly local calls at the time, so I took it. Vonage has more features, but Packet8 is good too. If one of them requires a contract, don't use them.
How do you like Packet8? As for the contract thing, I signed one with my provider SunRocket and I can get out at any time, risk free. Otherwise I may have been a little wary of signing on. Do other providers stick you with the one year if you sign on?

I am curious to know if people think VoIP is the future of telephony. Is it something that might be good to get into now, or is it a passing fad? I have been hearing it mentioned all over and am curious to know if I should jump in?

I would switch to VOIP in a heartbeat...were it not that my broadband and phone is Verizon :(

The phone charges are insane sometimes...but I only pay $29 for a high speed unlimited internet connection.

The other possibility is Adelphia and that's $43 for broadband who are a little worse in reliability.

Tough choice but I think once my year of verizon is up I will dump them and get adelphia.

bread's done
Back