CAGcast #140: Faster, Quieter, Better

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[img-l=4668]3078[/img-l][preview]CheapyD samples the New Xbox Experience, the PS3 Bluetooth Headset, and Left 4 Dead. Both Wombat and Cheapy talk Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, LittleBigPlanet, the latest game shopping and industry news, new releases, your questions from the CAGbag and much more!

Get a free trial of Netflix and support the CAGcast:
www.netflix.com/cagcast

[podcast]34[/podcast]
Download - 100 minutes, 40MB
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos:

CheapyD.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, alright. Now just to keep it up gentlemen and we'll be back to our old selves. Can't wait to hear Wombat hatin' on fallout (grrrr) and cheapy talking about how little he played any games (that's right buddy, I see your gamertag!)

Haha your avatar is awesome cheapy! Cant wait to hear your impressions on the New Xbox Experience...I am liking it so far even though I dont see much of anything except the visual facelift.

Elvis Is Everywhere, Mojo Nixon? Huh Cheapy?

Where my bonus? XD

Edit: Awww man, I didn't think you would actually reveal where the reference came from in the outro. I was too excited when you said that quote that I immediately paused the show to come post what it was from.

Freakin' finally. I'll listen to some tonight and the rest during free period at school tomorrow. Meh!

Elvis is Everywhere by Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper. Grrr tommyDon beat me. i should have posted earlier but i wanted to finish the podcast 1st :(

[quote name='McBain']Can't wait until this is up on iTunes. Update already!!![/quote]
Just go to your podcast page and hit refresh.

Sweet. Cheapy, your XBL av is cool--pimpin' that lil' ass chain. Too bad XBL avs are soooo ugly in general. :p

Cheapy I know you read these so please respond. How would a cag go about getting on your PSN friends list? Just wondering because I sent you a friend's request to no avail and would like to play lbp with you sometime.

I'd do the trial but I've been a member of Netflix for a long ass time. Already got 30 movies in my instant queue too. Btw, I'm surprised you haven't been watching Knight Rider, Airwolf and the Incredible Hulk TV series on the Netflix stream.

sweet.. show's looking good guys.. looking good.

With Circuit City going down I think the big question is what happens to their plans to reformat to "The City"? Guess that goes out the window.

Elvis Is Everywhere

Cheapy, maybe the hard drive is more expensive in Japan, but in the U.S. a lot of places are selling the 120GB for $120.

My Avatar's a little boring now because I tried to make him accurate and I just shaved my head and beard for Halloween. It's growing back quickly though.

[quote name='TheEyecon']Nice avatar Cheapy, can't wait to see Wombat's.[/quote]

too bad there's no furry option.

Hey Cheapy (and Wombat!),

First things first: Wombat, the stickers in LittleBigPlanet can be used as triggers to unlock special areas in the game's levels. Look for the "cardboard cutouts" in the background; slap the appropriate sticker on there, and voilà!

CheapyD, you wanted some PlayStation Home beta impressions, so here they are.

First, the good. Everything ran smoothly, and the graphics looked great even on my crappy SDTV. I had no problem chatting with other users, both via onscreen keyboard and via headset. (I was honestly surprised at the large number of users I found in Home!) Character customization is very deep, and quite easy to use; I can see that sucking up a lot of time. I love the game-themed areas, too; Sully's Bar from Uncharted? The train station from Far Cry 2? Very cool, and brings a new meaning to "getting in the game." Controls are simple and easy to learn, the PSP menu system is filled with helpful information to guide you on your way.

Now, the bad. While I enjoyed the character creation quite a bit, the available options for hairstyles, clothing, and accessories were very limited. (They didn't even have a goatee!) I assume this is only because it's a beta, but we shall see. Secondly, while I understand that it makes technical sense that each new "area" in Home is a separate download -- if you don't want to visit a specific area, you'll save space on your hard drive -- it can get annoying to have to download new areas all of the time if you do want to explore everything. Also, some of the arcade games found in the bar and such are kinda crappy.

Now, the big question: will Home be a "bust"? I want to say yes and no. The Sony diehards will love it, and likely use it a lot as their own form of Second Life. I think that everyone else won't use it as much as Sony would hope, and this is due to the fact that it's just taking too long to come out. It's a classic case of "too little, too late."

Hey Cheaps, why not give your avatar some flowing locks? why does the virtual cheapy have to also be follicle challenged? Why not go nuts and make him a black guy with a huge dong? or a black Wombat, its cool now, Obamamania ya know. btw Wombat, gas got cheap because of the election and the rally in the dollar not because of the recession. watch prices spike when winter hits and the dollar crashes. Big oil isn't finished pickpocketing your moth ridden wallet. On the bright side this will probably be a boon for CAG, since we all will be looking for a cheap fix for our gaming addiction, or maybe not. Gears is awesome.

Cheapy, no green shirt available for avatars? MS didn't make a green shirt to match their 360 colors?

I have never given a shit about the downloadable content for GTAIV, and because of the immense backlash against it, I'm sure the majority of purchasers of GTAIV on the 360 no longer give a shit as well.

The thing about Home is that people will go back when they here about it being updated. Like Castle Crashers, once that game gets updated, I'm sure some people will load it up to get the update and try out if the patch worked or not. Continuous updates to a product (Like Burnout Paradise) do get people coming back, even in chunks at a time.

Home isn't going to bomb, but it's not going to be the success Sony hopes it to be. They're definitely going to market it next year as Home will more than likely be pre-installed on every console. If that sells consoles or not is going to be a big question.

And I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE multiple disc trays for systems, but I think it's an anti-piracy issue.

I wonder if the supposed new client for Games For Windows Live will add avatars. I'm more interested in the Arcade though.

Haven't used PS Home in a while since there have been a lot of games recently and I would like to get in with some friends to play or just hang up in there, not a lot of people in my friend list have Home, but definitely a nice add to the PS3.

Chapter 11 only means that were clearing the leases for the buildings were closing. And most of those 155 stores closing were in high shrink areas. IE people stealing a lot from those stores. Ccity will be around for a while. But, piss on them for going after speedy.

Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant with My Two-Headed Love Child!!!!!!!!!!
If you aint got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin.

A CD changer for consoles would have been great 5 years ago. With Xbox 360 now having the ability to save games to disk and PS3 having installs it's pretty much following in the footsteps of PC. Next gen they'll have bigger HDD and will kill off the need for a disk check.

So basically consoles are just 5 years behind what PC does. I don't see what's so special.

On the Beatles game-
I think there are several songs that I think that would be perfect for the game, just off the top of my head:
Revolution
I saw her standing there
Hard days night
While my guitar gently weeps
Norwegian wood
We can work it out
Come together
Here comes the sun

The catalog is so vast and varied I think they could make a competitive game with even broader casual gamer appeal than other music games.
I think this could be the first game to transcend three generations.

Not to be contrary to those defending CC, but I think this is about much more than stores with declining sales. They are totally pulling out of Atlanta, because BB is so dominant here (hell I confess to just matching the good CC deals at BB for the rewards-zone points, but now my BB wont even match the ads since they aren't local).

Lastly, ELVIS NEEDS BOATS! MJF has no Elvis in him! I miss Family Ties.

Heh, I had to explain to my co-workers that J.A.P. isn't a racial slur... well, not towards Japanese people, anyway.

I notice that you two both see that PS3 trophies not being retroactive as being a problem. I don't really see it as being much of a problem as it would make it so easy to cheat trophies. It's really easy to download 100% completed PS3 saves from the internet which could easily be used to get multiple trophies. Many Trophy/Achievement whores would go out of their way to do things like that.

Good show, I hope to play Gears 2 with you guys someday.

Cheapy, when you transfer your 20GB to your 120GB, is it possible to have the 20GB NOT be erased?

[quote name='menikmati']Good show, I hope to play Gears 2 with you guys someday.

Cheapy, when you transfer your 20GB to your 120GB, is it possible to have the 20GB NOT be erased?[/quote]

i can answer that. it will always erase your old HDD during the transfer.

Wombat, your comments on Fallout 3 made me want to set fire to a roost of parrots. Perhaps your issues with identifying weapons and their purposes could be resolved by looking at each weapon's description and statistics? It shouldn't be too tasking as there aren't that many weapons.

Nice show guys.

I agree with Wombat's Gear 2 assessment, as I also played it a ton on this past weekend, 5 hours straight at one-point. I haven't played a game that long in one session in quite a long time.

I think keeping game room relatively small (5 for Horde, up to 10 for other modes) makes the game more enjoyable, as many XBL users can fill-out a room with their friends list, and not have to resort to playing with random people.

Hi lex luther and token yank sidekick.

I really enjoy your cagcast i only recently found you after viewing your youtube xbox towell fixing tip, the one where you blew up your robocop gun haha that was sweet! well anyway am telling all your mates about your show because it has inspired me to get back into gaming and i want my mates to as well, thanks your fan and friend and brother in England, peace!

Yet another great show.

Going on to Wombat's Fallout 3 opinion,
I find Bethesda as a game developer to be a bit strange. They made Oblivion which some people loved and put hundreds of hours into, yet some people like myself are very afraid of the game and are hesitant to get too far into it. I really wanted to love Oblivion but I just couldn't bring myself to getting very far into it.

Now what confuses me is the amount of Oblivion fans that are having a difficult time getting into Fallout, and the non-Oblivion fans like myself who are very interested in Fallout. The games are very similar in many aspects yet older fans are having a difficult time making the jump into their latest game. Do you guys just think that the change in scenery, time period and style are what's changing Oblivion fans' opinions? I ask this because I would imagine that huge Oblivion fans such as Wombat would understand the changes and would be okay with them, but I guess I am mistaken.

Hey Cheapy I have some good news for you about Left 4 Dead. The co-op campaigns are not the only way to play it. There is also a Versus mode where two teams of fours alternate between being the Boss Infected and survivors. This is the game mode I look most forward to because I can not wait to puke on all my friends with the Boomer infected. Great show as usual. Oh, and not to let Wombat feel left out, great job on all the in show puns and your blog titles.

Stick with calling the show the CAGcast instead of saying Cheap Ass Gamercast since that just sounds stupid.

The only bad thing about installing games is the ridiculously high sizes for most every game at about 6.5 GBs, meaning I'll need at least a 60 GB to be able to install a few games.

The new Burnout Paradise car pack is paid content at the moment which was a part of the announcement, so Wombat's not one for paying attention to details. It could become free like the Bikes pack, but that'll have to wait until it's closer to the pack's release. The other rumored cars in that pack are BP versions of KITT, the Ecto-1, and the General Lee.

The USB ports don't work when the PS3 is off? Breaking news. I think you have to have the Wii on standby and not off for the USB to still work while it's "off."

There's a lot of costumes in LBP that you unlock as you play through the single-player story. I have at least a dozen or so costumes saved in my popit for use whenever I feel like having a new costume. I'm not sure why the Dead Space or LBP DLC's any different than what has been done in the past with developers offering a mix of free and paid DLC that may or may not offer extremely useful or value-filled items.

Capcom won't be making any PSN exclusives since they're all about multiplatform games from now on.

50 hours to complete Burnout Paradise, Wombat? That seems like a bit much since it only takes about 20 to beat the game and the trophies don't really require you to put in nearly that much effort to earn most, if not all of them.

Good show.

[quote name='Clarke']A CD changer for consoles would have been great 5 years ago. With Xbox 360 now having the ability to save games to disk and PS3 having installs it's pretty much following in the footsteps of PC. Next gen they'll have bigger HDD and will kill off the need for a disk check.[/quote]
They'll never do it because transmitting that data over a USB is just asking for someone to substitute a laptop filled with bit torrented authorization keys.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The only bad thing about installing games is the ridiculously high sizes for most every game at about 6.5 GBs, meaning I'll need at least a 60 GB to be able to install a few games.[/quote]
I predict at least one more Xbox HDD upgrade option before this generation's over. A 360GB has a nice symetry to it, no?

[quote name='CheapyD']My wife was sorta getting into [Clash of the Titans] and [...] we didn't finish it[/quote]dude Greek Mythology revs the engine of many a female. I guess Mrs. Cheapy is no different.

IIRC, there were 10 Gamestop $100 gift cards to win. Were those to be given away on the CAGCast or in the giveaway thread?

bread's done
Back