XBLA - Pinball FX - 800pts (400pts Now Thru 9/27)

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
Has anyone on here tried the Pinball FX game on the XBLA? I downloaded it tonight after hearing about the Street Fighter Tribute table that was released yesterday and I think this is a really fun game. If you like pinball games, you should definitely give it a try.

If anyone has it and would like to play some multiplayer, please add me to your friends list.

Also, here are some screen shots of the tables that come with the game and the DLC tables.

Included with game:

Speed Machine
pinball_fx_speed_machine-full.jpg

Extreme
pinball_fx_extreme-full.jpg

Agents
pinball_fx_agents-full.jpg

The DLC Tables:

Buccaneer - Free
1.jpg

Nightmare Mansion - 200 points
2.jpg

Rocky and Bullwinkle - 200 points
25581_PinballFX_bullwinkle_16_normal.jpg

Street Fighter - 200 points
medium_3005922728_5a58f01b73_o.jpg

Yeah I've had this game since it came out. It's fun, although the only table I have that supports local multiplayer is SF2.

That SF2 table is really hard to get anywhere on.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Yeah I've had this game since it came out. It's fun, although the only table I have that supports local multiplayer is SF2.

That SF2 table is really hard to get anywhere on.[/quote]

Yeah it's hard to get a good score on the SF2 table, but it's the one I've played the most so far. Have you tried the Nightmare Mansion or the Rocky and Bullwinkle tables yet? I think I may download those tomorrow.

I will have to get the sf2 table now. I have had this for some time and would mostly play on the pirate table.

I've had this for quite a while too and have gotten all the DLC tables so far, so I'll get the SFII one too.

I suck pretty terribly, but I love pinball.

Any comments on the Nightmare Mansion table? Been meaning to pick this up for a while, but I'm looking for specifics on that table. Is it worth 200 points?

I've always been interested in this game but never downloaded it and I do love street fighter.

Do any of you have the Williams Pinball game? How do the physics compare between the two? I think the Williams game has the best ball physics of any game I have ever played.

I was thinking of buying the pinball game and sf table just cause of the sf table i havent gotten around to buying it though :)

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Has anyone on here tried the Pinball FX game on the XBLA?

If anyone has it and would like to play some multiplayer, please add me to your friends list.[/QUOTE]

You're already on my friends list. ;) Send me an invite sometime.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Any comments on the Nightmare Mansion table? Been meaning to pick this up for a while, but I'm looking for specifics on that table. Is it worth 200 points?[/quote]

I think 200 points for a new table is a pretty good deal, unless it's utter crap or something. It's a decent table, but not amazing. The theme is more along the lines of Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Scooby Doo than something meant to be truly frightening. The table is fairly small, but sports a mini-playfield underneath the table (like Black Hole). Other than that, it really doesn't have any features too different than the other tables. It plays well enough though.

[quote name='flybrione']Do any of you have the Williams Pinball game? How do the physics compare between the two?[/quote]

I'd suggest downloading the trial version. It only gives you one table, but it's plenty to give you a good sense of the physics. Personally I like both the physics and the feel of the flippers, but I'm not an expert. Some people really don't like it.

[quote name='Cantaloup']You're already on my friends list. ;) Send me an invite sometime.[/quote]

Haha yeah, I was hoping some of you on my list would want to play this. I'll send you an invite sometime, or you can send me one.

Do you know how the Rocky and Bullwinkle table is?

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Yeah it's hard to get a good score on the SF2 table, but it's the one I've played the most so far. Have you tried the Nightmare Mansion or the Rocky and Bullwinkle tables yet? I think I may download those tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

No, I got the pirate table though, and it's probably the best one I've seen so far. I'd like someone that has all the tables to review them. Rocky and bullwinkle looks stupid, but I'd get it if someone says it's fun.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Do you know how the Rocky and Bullwinkle table is?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, haven't played it so I don't know.

I'm good at real-life pinball, but stink at this'n, for some mysterious reason.

It's still a cool game, though.

I've had it since almost release I think. I love the game and have put many hours into it. I have a high score of 1 billion+ for speed table but still haven't been able to grab the achievement for finishing the wizard mode for that table, gah. I'll play anyone, love this game.

This table kinda sucks. I still think the Buccaneer table is the best. Spend your MSP on that if you must get this game and want at least one good table.

I've had this game for a while now. I like it a lot, and would recommend it to anyone on the fence about it. Great game for when you've only got 15 minutes or so to kill.

I've never played multiplayer on it yet, but if anyone wants to add me, that's cool. I'm most frequently on in the mornings during the week, like 9:00-11:00 am EST.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']This table kinda sucks. I still think the Buccaneer table is the best. Spend your MSP on that if you must get this game and want at least one good table.[/quote]

Ah the Buccaneer table is free so you wouldn't have to decide that table or this one. You probably have to decide this table, rocky and nightmare table. It depends on your taste really, are you big into halloween themes, a rocky bullwinkle fan or a street fighter fan. I think the new SFII table is pretty cool (however I'm a fan), you can also choose 1-4 players for this table too. That's one thing that was lacking in this great pinball game was the local multiplayer. Online multiplayer is fun but sometimes I can't find matches.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few impressions from GameFaqs on the other DLC tables.

Nightmare Mansion:
It is a very cool table, there is a second floor, however it is underneath the table, it is amazingly fun.

Awesom table ... it's so fun and colorful. :)

I absolutely agree...a GREAT board for a GREAT game.

It's not that fun when you are going for a big score. I spent about 9 hours in it yesterday. I could have beaten the #1 score, but gave up halfway. It was getting well tedious. It takes way to long to rack up a decent score.

Rocky and Bullwinkle:
I bought it this morning and played about 20 minutes...

I like the table, dislike the music and the bird chirping when cycling through the bonuses. Wish they had more voice sound effects.

The table "floor" graphics are fantastic and my first impression is that I'm going to like the play of this table a lot. Easier to score points on than Nightmare Mansion.

200 points = great value, highly recommended!

I've played it a bit more now and yeah... it's definitely a quality table!

Thanks Zen! As long as you keep releasing quality tables at a reasonable price, I'll keep buying them!

200 points
it's good

And here are a few videos.

Pinball FX Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/18820.html

Rocky and Bullwinkle Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32432.html

Finally broke down and bought this.

The buccaneer table is very well done for free. I had a blast with that one.
I didn't play much Agents.
The "extreme" table is great for the lolz.
The speed table is not all that bad.

I did buy the Nightmare Mansion table. It felt more like a weak haunted forest. The under table second floor is good and the sound effects are amusing. I guess I had higher expectations for it to actually be set in a mansion instead of a forest...

Anymore thoughts on the SFII table or R&BW table? How is the music for those?

If anyone wants to play multi, just add me.

SF II table is fun IMO. It has Ken's stage song as the BG music along with sounds from the game. The Rocky and Bullwinkle table is fun as well. It is very colorful and has sounds from the characters in the show.

I didn't play the Rocky and Bullwinkle one very much but it looks like a good one as well. I think all of the DLC tables are well worth 200 points a piece.

I bought the Rocky & Bullwinkle table when it came out, and I can't remember what it's like.

I remember being disappointed that it wasn't thee Rocky & Bullwinkle pinball table I've played at arcades.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Street Fighter table = :drool:[/quote]

agreed, I was having a blast with it but what's with the barrel thing?

I dled the Street Fighter table last night and it's pretty awesome. I have all the DLC tables and like them all, you really can't go wrong at $2.50 apiece.

I just added a lot of you as XBL friends so I can do some multiplayer and have more people on my leaderboard. If anyone else wants to play this sometime please add me.

[quote name='fart_bubble']the SF2 table is really fucking cheap[/quote]

This.

I played 4 games yesterday and I was lucky if I broke 1.5 million. It seemed no matter what I tried, I'd lose the ball almost instantly. There are a lot of obstacles in the field that cause a straight ricochet right back to the flippers. It's kind of annoying.

Out of all the tables, I really probably enjoy the Rocky and Bullwinkle one the most. It's pretty open, has good graphics and sound effects, and you can keep things going for quite some time.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I just added a lot of you as XBL friends so I can do some multiplayer and have more people on my leaderboard. If anyone else wants to play this sometime please add me.[/quote]

Accepted. Thanks.

My main complaint about the SF2 table is that it feels like the flippers are just a bit off on their placing so you end up with more straight drops killing your ball. Plus, all the clutter kinda kills the strategy for the table

[quote name='fart_bubble']My main complaint about the SF2 table is that it feels like the flippers are just a bit off on their placing so you end up with more straight drops killing your ball. Plus, all the clutter kinda kills the strategy for the table[/quote]

I think its that the physics in this game are off. The ball doesn't come off the flipper quite like it should. It takes a little time to adjust.

[quote name='fart_bubble']My main complaint about the SF2 table is that it feels like the flippers are just a bit off on their placing so you end up with more straight drops killing your ball. Plus, all the clutter kinda kills the strategy for the table[/quote]

If the ball is in the middle you can bump the table and half the time save the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this up yesterday. The physics were a little strange at first, but I quickly got used to it. It's pretty fun.

[quote name='HeadKase']I picked this up yesterday. The physics were a little strange at first, but I quickly got used to it. It's pretty fun.[/quote]

The best tip I can give you is get the ball moving. It seems that when you have the ball in a fluid motion all over the place you tend to score more points and hit ramps easier. You also want to trap the ball with the flippers at times so there is a balance.

[quote name='Spybreak8']The best tip I can give you is get the ball moving. It seems that when you have the ball in a fluid motion all over the place you tend to score more points and hit ramps easier. You also want to trap the ball with the flippers at times so there is a balance.[/quote]

Thanks, I'm getting the hang of it now. It's just a little strange when I see the ball in the middle of the table and without hitting anything come back to the flippers. Guess I'm just used to regular pinball machines and not video game ones.

I've got all these other games I haven't finished and am spending more time playing pinball than anything else right now. How does the multi-player work?

You set up the points and rules, such as how much penalty if you loose a ball and the target points everyone is trying to achieve. Then it's the first person to that target who wins, rinse repeat. ^^ Yea as GRID is a realistic arcade driving game, Pinball FX is to Grid since it is a realistic arcade pinball game. Not quite like in real life but close.

Pure Pinball for the original XBOX is still the best console pinball game I've played... Too bad they don't port that to XBLA and throw in some DLC tables, etc :)

Hey gang! Just downloaded the main game and the Buccaneer table last night, and really had a great time with them... Anyone still play this game online? Just curious.

bread's done
Back