Rock Band Drum set PS3/Xbox 360 $29.99 at Circuit City

I'm tempted to pick this up since I have heard bad things about how long the Drum (the drum pads themselves and especially the kick pedal) lasts. I just got Rockband Special Edition for PS2 on Friday from the Hot Topic deal and I know I have the 60 day warranty but for anyone that had their drum set break, how long did it last before it broke?

I saw the Nyko Frontman guitar (PS3) for $19.99 at Circuit City today too. It doesn't seem to be available online anymore, but my local store had a bunch of them.

I probably had mine two months before I busted my kick pedal in the middle of the Boston song, and I have to hit the red drum harder than the rest for it to register.

Very cool deal. They might not be the most durable product, but for 30 bucks why not? Now I have a cheap set of drums to add to the cheap GHWT bundle I ordered from Red Octane.

out of the 5 drum sets between me and my friends, 4 have had broken stomp pedals. I modded mine with a splint duct tape/knives, before it broke. I modded my drums with coins inside to help with sensitivity. Nether of these really void the warranty and helps the longevity of the equipment. I would purchase this if only I knew down the road I would be getting a pair with symbols

[quote name='Griffey867']would these work with the new guitar hero for 360?[/QUOTE]Yes

Im so happy I just ordered a set via in store pickup. Retail price is $90

[quote name='dim2192']Yes[/quote]

Cool. Thanks!

Im so happy I just ordered a set via in store pickup. Retail price is $90
[/quote]

Seems like the price is now around $50 (just checked elsewhere online). Thing is there are 4 "drums" so in GH I'm guessing you cannot do modes that include the 5th color orange?

just got a set of these (360) for about $34 shipped from amazon yesterday. they had a damaged box and thats how i got them for the cheaper price...however the drums are completely fine and brand new. guess i couldve saved a few bucks if i wouldve waited..oh well.

i also just picked up the rock band 2 game disc for only $20 used from my family video. the disc is spotless, not a scratch on it. i already had ghwt w/ guitar so for about $50 i was able to get rock band 2 with rock band 1 drums. not too shabby i guess.

Just ordered them for in store pick up, I'll get them tomorrow after work...have a set of GHWT drums, picked these up as extras...Thanks OP

[quote name='dim2192']Yes

Im so happy I just ordered a set via in store pickup. Retail price is $90[/quote]
they do work with GHWT, but they DON'T work when you try to play GHWT on XBL, for whatever reason they don't allow you to use RB drums with GHWT on Xbox Live. they will work fine for everything else though...

[quote name='Griffey867']Thing is there are 4 "drums" so in GH I'm guessing you cannot do modes that include the 5th color orange?[/quote]
the game will know that you're using the RB drums, and eliminate the orange row, so you will see the same 4 rows that you would if you were playing RB...

[quote name='KueMan10']Man, I'm tempted to get this. But I think I may wait on a deal for the RB2 drums.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I have fairly decently working RB1 drums already but I thought for the price having spare parts would be good... but I keep seeing how the RB2 drums are supposedly a bit better anyway, seems silly to spend money on another iffy set if the newer ones are better anyway (And less likely to break in the long run).

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I'm tempted to pick this up since I have heard bad things about how long the Drum (the drum pads themselves and especially the kick pedal) lasts. I just got Rockband Special Edition for PS2 on Friday from the Hot Topic deal and I know I have the 60 day warranty but for anyone that had their drum set break, how long did it last before it broke?[/QUOTE]

The pads will last you quite a while given that you aren't looking for expert level performance from them, 24/7. I play everything on hard/expert, and I've had a few missed notes on the red pad in particular, but not enough for me to get fed up with it altogether.

The kick pedal is another thing entirely. You WILL want to get a metal replacement kit for your pedal, preferably with hinge replacement, if you plan on playing this to any great length. (or if you have friends over who will pound on it) It's not a question of if, but when for the pedal. I play off and on with my roommate, so I wasn't putting it to daily use, but I could tell it was cracking for a while, so I treated it with kid gloves. Just a week ago it snapped, so I folded and bought the new kit.

As for the Rock Band 2 kit, it's nice and all, but the velocity sensitive stuff adds a lot less than you might think. The only real draw is the metal-reinforced pedal, that you can do yourself for half the price. Hell, I even picked up the cymbals, but without any in-game indicator of when to use them, it's just a shot in the dark for me to figure out when to switch off. (and even then, it would just be for show)

I'd say unless you're really trying to practice on the drums, or you're an expert level player looking for an edge, just stick with the original kit.

Is there any good deal on Rockband 1 or 2 (Guitar + Game) for black friday or in general? I have always wanted the game but 180 for the whole set is killing me, im still mad I didnt get in on the hot topic deal.

[quote name='Skexis']The pads will last you quite a while given that you aren't looking for expert level performance from them, 24/7. I play everything on hard/expert, and I've had a few missed notes on the red pad in particular, but not enough for me to get fed up with it altogether.

The kick pedal is another thing entirely. You WILL want to get a metal replacement kit for your pedal, preferably with hinge replacement, if you plan on playing this to any great length. (or if you have friends over who will pound on it) It's not a question of if, but when for the pedal. I play off and on with my roommate, so I wasn't putting it to daily use, but I could tell it was cracking for a while, so I treated it with kid gloves. Just a week ago it snapped, so I folded and bought the new kit.

As for the Rock Band 2 kit, it's nice and all, but the velocity sensitive stuff adds a lot less than you might think. The only real draw is the metal-reinforced pedal, that you can do yourself for half the price. Hell, I even picked up the cymbals, but without any in-game indicator of when to use them, it's just a shot in the dark for me to figure out when to switch off. (and even then, it would just be for show)

I'd say unless you're really trying to practice on the drums, or you're an expert level player looking for an edge, just stick with the original kit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I try to be careful with the pedal but I have noticed that if my foot doesn't push down on the pedal enough, it won't register and what you said about the pedal confirmed what I was afraid of, that it is only a matter of time before it breaks.

Picked up a set of these on the PS2/3 during my lunch break. Guess they're selling pretty well as I picked up the "last set." Box was beat to crap, but hopefully the drums themselves are in good shape.

For those that have RMA'd the drums after RB2's release, has EA been sending out the RB2 pedals/drums as replacements? If so, something might just have to happen to my drum set in the next 90 days. o_O

There's also a pending class action law suit against EA over the flimsy drum pedals, who knows what the settlement will yield, but I'd probably hold onto the receipt for claims later on.

[quote name='KueMan10']Man, I'm tempted to get this. But I think I may wait on a deal for the RB2 drums.[/quote]
why? anyone that's tried both will tell you that the RB1 drums (the QM, not the EL) are better than the RB2 drums...

the only good thing about the RB2 drums is that their wireless, and that the posts have markings on them so that you can make sure that the pads are even when you adjust the height, but that's about it. the drums will sometimes shut off in the middle of a song because of battery issues due to vibrations from hitting the pads. the pads bubble only after a few days of playing, it happened to my red and green pad really bad, and the red one was bad after only one long day of playing. and the pedal, even though it has a metal plate, will still break if you're not careful.

spend $30 on the RB1 drum kit (just make sure you get QM kit though, it's much better than the EL kit, and i've used both)...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=204522&cc_fm=Toolbox+Cart

spend $30 on a good throne...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-SP770DT-Medium-Weight-Drum-Throne-104496427-i1415299.gc

spend $10 on good sticks...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zildjian-DIP-Drumsticks-101000115-i1136051.gc

spend $17 on a good set of silencers...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Band-Drum-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

and for bascially for less than the cost of just the RB2 drumset, you're fully loaded with a really good RB1 drumset. the OEM pedal is fine if you plan on playing Medium or Hard, but once you hit the Expert level you will want to replace it, because doing triple kicks with it is near impossible. it all depends on how far you want to take it, me personally, i have more fun playing Hard than anything else and the OEM pedal is fine for me...

and for the record, i only play drums on RB2 and i use everything i posted, i'm not just posting cheap garbage to prove my point. it's worth every penny...

[quote name='VxExLxVxExT']why? anyone that's tried both will tell you that the RB1 drums (the QM, not the EL) are better than the RB2 drums...

the only good thing about the RB2 drums is that their wireless, and that the posts have markings on them so that you can make sure that the pads are even when you adjust the height, but that's about it. the drums will sometimes shut off in the middle of a song because of battery issues due to vibrations from hitting the pads. the pads bubble only after a few days of playing, it happened to my red and green pad really bad, and the red one was bad after only one long day of playing. and the pedal, even though it has a metal plate, will still break if you're not careful.

spend $30 on the RB1 drum kit (just make sure you get QM kit though, it's much better than the EL kit, and i've used both)...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-SP770DT-Medium-Weight-Drum-Throne-104496427-i1415299.gc

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Band-Drum-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

and for bascially for less than the cost of just the RB2 drumset, you're fully loaded with a really good RB1 drumset...

and for the record, i only play drums on RB2 and i use everything i posted, i'm not just posting cheap garbage to prove my point. it's worth every penny...[/quote]

Thank you for the detailed list of info. Is there also a place to go for the metal pad upgrade for the pedal? And maybe a quick install guide for someone not as savvy?
Also, how can you tell which is QM or EL without actually seeing the drum set? I know by looking at my set which it is, but not from the box.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='venompsx']Is there also a place to go for the metal pad upgrade for the pedal? And maybe a quick install guide for someone not as savvy?[/quote]
the medal pad upgrade is only worth it if you've doing it to repair an already broken pedal, because there is still pressure on the pedal with or without the metal pad, so it will still break in the same exact spot if you use it long enough. the only real upgrade is to either replace the entire pedal with a metal pedal or replace the entire pedal with an upgraded pedal. the Mega Pedal metal replacement pedal is good, and there's a detailed video on youtube on how to install it with ordinary tools.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLID-BILLET-MEGA-PEDAL-FOR-ROCK-BAND-BASS-PEDAL_W0QQitemZ220314748421QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item220314748421&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZngRay3uImc

[quote name='venompsx']Also, how can you tell which is QM or EL without actually seeing the drum set? I know by looking at my set which it is, but not from the box.[/quote]
you can't tell without opening the box, which is why it's best to buy one in store rather than ordering it online, so at least you can open the box to see which one you're getting. basically, if the front of the box is facing you, the inside of the left tab has the serial number of the kit stamped on it, so just look at it and look for either the QM or EL at the end. also both models are packaged differently, the EL pads can be removed from the box without removing anything and you have to remove the packaging with the posts and sticks to get to the QM pads, but it's easier ad will attract less attention to just check the serial number on the inside of the tab...

[quote name='VxExLxVxExT']why? anyone that's tried both will tell you that the RB1 drums (the QM, not the EL) are better than the RB2 drums...

and for bascially for less than the cost of just the RB2 drumset, you're fully loaded with a really good RB1 drumset. the OEM pedal is fine if you plan on playing Medium or Hard, but once you hit the Expert level you will want to replace it, because doing triple kicks with it is near impossible. it all depends on how far you want to take it, me personally, i have more fun playing Hard than anything else and the OEM pedal is fine for me...

and for the record, i only play drums on RB2 and i use everything i posted, i'm not just posting cheap garbage to prove my point. it's worth every penny...[/quote]

Nice info, thanks! What are QM and EL drums though?

I wish I had seen this before I went. I got an EL...

Is it really that big of a difference in sensitivity and quality?

[quote name='KueMan10']Nice info, thanks! What are QM and EL drums though?[/quote]
http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2008/04/08/how-to-identify-your-rock-band-drum-set/

[quote name='Antic']I wish I had seen this before I went. I got an EL...

Is it really that big of a difference in sensitivity and quality?[/quote]
in my opinion yes, but there are good and bad sets of both, and just because you got an EL set doesn't mean it won't work well for you. and there are tricks that work with both models if you have problems with them down the road, like the sock mod for the QM and the coin mod for the EL. if you want to find out more about those mods, just do a search for them on youtube...

and for the record, i only play drums on RB2 and i use everything i posted, i'm not just posting cheap garbage to prove my point. it's worth every penny...[/QUOTE]

Apparently you haven't been to the GameFaqs, ScoreHero, or Rock Band forums. The general consensus is that the RB 2 drums are MUCH better, I can attest to that. They actually have rebound, the pedal doesn't snap, they are way more responsive, and come with the jacks for the add-on cymbals. I paid $90 for the new set and don't regret it at all. The first set is a piece of crap in comparison.

w00t. I got the PS2 one because my friend gave me Rock Band for the PS2. I really only care about playing the drums so this is perfect for me.

[quote name='adawg555']Apparently you haven't been to the GameFaqs, ScoreHero, or Rock Band forums. The general consensus is that the RB 2 drums are MUCH better, I can attest to that. They actually have rebound, the pedal doesn't snap, they are way more responsive, and come with the jacks for the add-on cymbals. I paid $90 for the new set and don't regret it at all. The first set is a piece of crap in comparison.[/quote]
actually, the RB forums are where i originally discovered most of the issues with the RB2 drum kit, and later found out they were true after getting one myself. i used one and returned it after 2 weeks, because my red pad formed a REALLY bad bubble and my green pad wasn't far behind, and that happened on my red pad after only playing for less than TWO days. the RB2 pads have rebound, big deal, you can easily get the same rebound by investing in a good set of silencers for a RB1 kit. and if you've actually been to the RB forums, than you would know that the RB2 pedal breaks in the same exact spot the RB1 pedal does, it just takes longer. and they have jacks for symbols, whope! first of all, you have to spend at least another $30 for 2 cymbals. second of all, unless you know the chart, you're not going to know when to use them, so they're pointless other than looking cool. as much as i hate GHWT, they at least they did the drum kit the right way by having 2 specified cymbals, not 1 location that can use either one and if you hit the wrong it sounds stupid...

but hey, to each their own, but for $29.99 it's a no-brainer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to the OP;picked up a set for my 360 today.Great price.
My PS2 set has held up very well-I think if you don't play like an idiot these things last a long time.

[quote name='phear3d']too bad its not available for pickup in my area[/quote]
i don't see why you couldn't add it to your cart and print it out, for BB to price match, since it is on the website and all. the BB's by me have TONS of BR1 drum kits in store, and should be able to price match it no problem...

You guys are really making the RB1 drums sound terrible, but I figure they can't be too bad, so I'm just going to get Rock Band w/ instruments (because it's cheaper), get Rock Band2 later, and perhaps upgrade instruments when the prices stop being ridiculous.

Sweet. In addition to the $5 Guitar I picked up from Amazon yesterday and some goozex points I had lying around, and an old USB Mic I already had, I now have a complete Rock Band set for PS3 for around $40.

[quote name='VxExLxVxExT']i don't see why you couldn't add it to your cart and print it out, for BB to price match, since it is on the website and all. the BB's by me have TONS of BR1 drum kits in store, and should be able to price match it no problem...[/quote]
cause BB employees here are douchbags. I tried to PM it and got brutal denial. They said they only PM when they can verify that circuitcity has it in stock.(and ONLY the closest circuitcity store) even if the CC 10 miles away has it, they still will not PM it. I just do not want to waste my time to argue with the stupid girl. Yeah, let the RB1 drum set rotten on the shelf.

I guess I can wait it drops @ other places.

I was able to pick the drums up today. Had to order them online because when I went to the store two day ago they did not have them outside and they could not find them in the back. I picked them up today and unfortunately it was an "EL" model. Most likely the last drums they had in stock.

I have not found any problems with them yet. I'm sure the QM were a better choice, but for $30 they're a steal!

My girlfriend broke my drum pedal yesterday, so I need to get a replacement. I'm going to call to see if I can get a free replacement, and if I can't, then I'm going to just try and price match this at BB or something.

Sweet deal, since I just paid that much for a replacement pedal for mine :(

S'ok, I'm holding out for the Rb2 set when my Rb1 set dies. Cymbals, y'know...

The rock band 1 drums are fine. I've had my set since launch and they are fine except for being a little loud. Like others have said it is just a matter of time before the foot pedal snaps. A while back I bought a metal pedal as a replacement and it works great.

bread's done
Back