Have you guys ever bought a new SNES Cartridge w/ a Different Game on the Chip?

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, this might sound strange....
but way back in the days of the SNES I remember getting my uncle to buy me this game new and sealed at Toys R' Us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tournament_Fighters

However when we brought it home, I popped it in the SNES and it was this weird discolored version of Super Mario World. The Cartridge sticker definitely showed the Ninja Turtles Game.

To this day I now wish I had kept that cartridge, but as a child of course I just wanted the damn game so we promptly returned it to Toys R' Us.

So my question is, has this ever happened to anyone else or is there any info on if this happened often or at all to other people?

I haven't had anything like that ever happened. I wonder what the screw up was (since, if it's a new game, it probably happened at the factory).

yeah, it was brand new and just released. Someone suggested it was a return w/ a knockoff from Chinatown, but that really wasn't the case since it was new & the cartridge was clearly authentic.

So guy working at TRU most likely got the game opened up the cart switched it out for some crap he had, put everything back in and resealed it. If he worked there the only thing stopping him would be the special screw driver, which could be easily bought.

[quote name='Photomotoz']So guy working at TRU most likely got the game opened up the cart switched it out for some crap he had, put everything back in and resealed it. If he worked there the only thing stopping him would be the special screw driver, which could be easily bought.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case why bother replacing the chip, why not just take it?

Only weird SNES occurrence I ever had was buying MegaMan X2 on release and getting home only to find out it had a bum C4 chip on it as it froze at those points in the game. Quick exchange cleared that up though.

I have three different stories.

1. Rented NBA Jam on Genesis, put it in and Pat Riely's Basketball on it.
2. Rented Killer Instinct, put it in and HEY PUNK! Are U Tuff Enough! was on it. Even as a kid, it's not too hard to figure out what happened.

3. Rented Chrono Trigger and it never played, I got this at the same Blockbuster location as the other two games so I always figured it was a failed attempted to switch it with Drakken or something.

nope, that never happened to me.

and guys, it's "bought" not "rented" with a different cartridge inside.

I grew up with Snes, and never had that expect one time. Although the game I bought was used. The label on it said it was sonic blast man, and yet I popped it in, and it was tom, and jerry. I was about 9 years old maybe. I think I started crying, and telling my mom its the wrong game. I was extremely upset to say the least. I wanted a beat em up, and got tom, and fucking jerry.

Damn, how young are you guys? Many retailers used to take returns on video games for any reason, even if it was opened. They stopped when too many people started swapping rom chips. This is one of the biggest reasons that led Gamestop to be so successful: if your game is a lemon, trade it in. Before that, you were stuck with it, and unlike CDs, you can't use cartridges as coasters or frisbees, can you?

bread's done
Back