Twist of Fate: How to RROD your 360?

shigster

CAGiversary!
So, recently my xbox 360's laser reader stopped workin' - as in, I put in any 360 game, CD, etc - and it just says open tray, after afew seconds of "Reading . . ." and, being that my warranty from my last repair (RROD) expired abit over a month ago.

I'm left with the options of forking over $95 for a repair + 1 year extended warranty + 1 month of gold from microsoft.

Opening my xbox 360, voiding the RROD warranty and see if the problem is just a dirty laser.

Or, my xbox 360 magically get's the RROD which is covered by microsoft for free. And, I'll also get 1 year warranty + 1 month of gold (yay?) Hmmmmm ;) any advice?

I sent mine in like last week under RROD and got it back and the disc drive was just making a very high pitched annoying sound. I'm also sending my other one back. There is a trick you can do for the time being that will make your 360 run games, just let me find it.

If you have the unplayable disc error:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dYMWsrmAw

IN ADDITION, if you do NOT have the unplayable disc error, and it just goes from Reading to Open Tray, my friend had this problem and I told him, if the xbox360 is laying Horizontal (which it probably is), put it vertical and try to make it run a game. If it's vertical, put it Horizontal and try to run it, see if that works. If this works, it was 100% due to the NXE update.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I sent mine in like last week under RROD and got it back and the disc drive was just making a very high pitched annoying sound. I'm also sending my other one back. There is a trick you can do for the time being that will make your 360 run games, just let me find it.

If you have the unplayable disc error:

IN ADDITION, if you do NOT have the unplayable disc error, and it just goes from Reading to Open Tray, my friend had this problem and I told him, if the xbox360 is laying Horizontal (which it probably is), put it vertical and try to make it run a game. If it's vertical, put it Horizontal and try to run it, see if that works. If this works, it was 100% due to the NXE update.[/quote]

Changing the position of the xbox 360 didn't change anything. Now, does it actually work to send it back claiming it RROD? :whistle2:# Also, I'd probably go through the online service - I dislike the people they hire who answer the phone :bomb:.

[quote name='shigster']Changing the position of the xbox 360 didn't change anything. Now, does it actually work to send it back claiming it RROD? :whistle2:# Also, I'd probably go through the online service - I dislike the people they hire who answer the phone :bomb:.[/quote]

Yes, it works. I've been through 5 360's in a little over two years. The last time it died (wouldn't read discs), it was past it's warranty so I just told them it red ringed. They sent me a new one, problem solved.

[quote name='prence']Yes, it works. I've been through 5 360's in a little over two years. The last time it died (wouldn't read discs), it was past it's warranty so I just told them it red ringed. They sent me a new one, problem solved.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know, afraid I'm gonna have to send mine in soon and the RROD claim is the only way. Disc drive is almost as good as dead, sometimes just refuses to recognize the discs as games and it's pissing me off pretty bad.

I'll likely, be sending in my repair request today through the website. I wonder, if it'd look fishy if I kept playing my xbox for the next 3 - 4 days while I wait for the box by mail? Considering, microsoft is able to perma ban consoles.

Glad i'm not the only one in this boat.. my video is dying, the screen gets blue and green smears after playing for a few minutes. Gave me reason to buy a new one but, still would like to swap out my dying one for a refurbished one.

Well, I just sent my request afew seconds ago. Just need to wait and see how things turn out, gives me like 2 - 3 days to RROD if I must. On the plus side, if everything goes through I'll get a 1 year coverage + 1 month gold oh and, a fixed xbox for free.

On the negative, they could not fix the xbox and charge for s/h to return it.

[quote name='shigster']Well, I just sent my request afew seconds ago. Just need to wait and see how things turn out, gives me like 2 - 3 days to RROD if I must. On the plus side, if everything goes through I'll get a 1 year coverage + 1 month gold oh and, a fixed xbox for free.

On the negative, they could not fix the xbox and charge for s/h to return it.[/quote]
I think the RROD problems are so abundant (especially for the older models) that they don't question it and just push it through. Mine has been freezing up lately (HARD freezing like it won't respond to anything) so I have a feeling that mine is going to RROD on me very soon. It'll suck to send it in but if I can get a more reliable system I'll be happy.

I had one red ring which shouldn't have been able to qualify. I just told them it red-ringed and they fixed it for me no problem.

The reality is that we paid a lot of money for some shoddy hardware. Having an expensive piece of hardware crap out in less than a year (or even three years) is just plain wrong. Just have them fix it by telling them it red ringed. Don't waste your time (unless you have a lot of it) to make a bad problem even worse.

I'll besure to post the final results, it's sad how fast these "next-gen" systems burn out. I've had my nintendo since I was 5 years old and it still works. Sure, I gotta hit afew times ontop but, it works. Even my PS2 that's old as dirt still works. :(

Yeah I've got a 60GB PS3 that I love and hope lasts me as long as my PS2 which has yet to die. I wonder if Sony repairs the PS3's instead of sending a new one? I'd hate to lose my backwards compatibility.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I'd hate to lose my backwards compatibility.[/quote]
QFMFT, that's the only reason I bought a 60GB when I did was for the full BC. Either way, I may call up MS and tell them mine RRed so I can have it back for Christmas.

[quote name='shigster']I'll likely, be sending in my repair request today through the website. I wonder, if it'd look fishy if I kept playing my xbox for the next 3 - 4 days while I wait for the box by mail? Considering, microsoft is able to perma ban consoles.[/QUOTE]

they dont sen out boxes anymore

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Yeah I've got a 60GB PS3 that I love and hope lasts me as long as my PS2 which has yet to die. I wonder if Sony repairs the PS3's instead of sending a new one? I'd hate to lose my backwards compatibility.[/quote]

Sony sent me a refurb (different unit), which I was VERY happy with based on what I sent in. They also send you back whatever model you sent in. I made sure over the phone I'd get a 60 for my 60.

Now a few years from now, I'm not sure if it'll be the same case since the 60's have been gone for so long.

Toss a game in it, wrap it in a blanket or towel till it shuts off (you'll probably get two lights), and find a way to rapidly cool your system. Should be relatively simple to find a way in your house to rapidly cool off your 360. ;)

*Note - use of my technique does not imply any warranty or guarantee as towards the usability of your system. JJSP is not held liable - just know it worked for me several times.

[quote name='62t']they dont sen out boxes anymore[/quote]

Wrong, they DO send out boxes if you go through the online repair service.

Please, do not post if it's off topic or incorrect information.

Thank you. ;)

Update:

Well, I got my box to ship out the 360. It should be at the repair center on the 9th. I probably should've sent the request sooner considering the holiday got in the way. :bomb:

[quote name='shigster']Wrong, they DO send out boxes if you go through the online repair service.

Please, do not post if it's off topic or incorrect information.

Thank you. ;)[/QUOTE]

No need to be a smartass about it. Many of us have called and were unable to get a box.

Just afew days ago, I got a new xbox from microsofts repair center - I must say it took longer then expect but, it works perfectly. Also, came with a warranty until 12/09/2009 ;) And, of course the 1 month of live.

Also, they still ship out boxes. If you believe otherwise, good luck.

[quote name='shigster']Just afew days ago, I got a new xbox from microsofts repair center - I must say it took longer then expect but, it works perfectly. Also, came with a warranty until 12/09/2009 ;) And, of course the 1 month of live.

Also, they still ship out boxes. If you believe otherwise, good luck.[/quote]

Just curious, but did you send in one without HDMI and get one with it back?

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Yeah I've got a 60GB PS3 that I love and hope lasts me as long as my PS2 which has yet to die. I wonder if Sony repairs the PS3's instead of sending a new one? I'd hate to lose my backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

depends on what's wrong with it, usually if it stops reading disc they send it to the repair center (LRC)
if any other reason besides that they send it to the exchange center (PEC)
both places are in TX

you get the same model back that you send in

and to the OP if anything I would claim its RRoD and see if you can get it fixed and then when you get it back, sell it and get a new arcade unit

[quote name='shigster']Just afew days ago, I got a new xbox from microsofts repair center - I must say it took longer then expect but, it works perfectly. Also, came with a warranty until 12/09/2009 ;) And, of course the 1 month of live.

Also, they still ship out boxes. If you believe otherwise, good luck.[/QUOTE]

from the time you sent it in, you had it back to you in less than 2 weeks... and still feel it took longer than expected? that sounds pretty decent turnaround time to me. i just sent mine out today with a legitimate 3 red ring error. the people in front of me at the UPS store were also sending out an xbox.. and the guy behind the counter was very familiar with the whole process.

but why would you choose to wait for them to ship a box to you when you could just print the UPS label online and ship it out that same day?

[quote name='shnizzle66']Just curious, but did you send in one without HDMI and get one with it back?[/quote]

I did not, they actually sent me back a older xbox 360. However, from the looks of the CD drive, it's brand new.

[quote name='iamthekiller']from the time you sent it in, you had it back to you in less than 2 weeks... and still feel it took longer than expected? that sounds pretty decent turnaround time to me. i just sent mine out today with a legitimate 3 red ring error. the people in front of me at the UPS store were also sending out an xbox.. and the guy behind the counter was very familiar with the whole process.

but why would you choose to wait for them to ship a box to you when you could just print the UPS label online and ship it out that same day?[/quote]

I didn't mind waiting for the box. Besides, worst case - I would've had them ship back my box w/o repairing it, instend of forking over $94. So, to have it in a nice official MS coffin was the best way to go.

Can you actually send in a box without the RROD, and still get it repaired? Because I have a box with the RROD, but I toweled it, so it would work temporarily. But, my box will be here soon. What happens if it doesn't RROD again by the time the box gets here? Should I just towel it and try to make it rrod again? Or should I just send it in and hope to get a new one back?

Sort of related to the topic, but I can't decide what I should do between:

A. Sending in my 360 to get the disk drive fixed claiming its RROD, getting a new drive and THEN legally modding the case/fans.

or B. Fixing everything by myself, modding it, keeping the firmware from my 1st disk drive and not doing anything illegal/ban worthy whatsoever.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Can you actually send in a box without the RROD, and still get it repaired? Because I have a box with the RROD, but I toweled it, so it would work temporarily. But, my box will be here soon. What happens if it doesn't RROD again by the time the box gets here? Should I just towel it and try to make it rrod again? Or should I just send it in and hope to get a new one back?[/quote]

When I sent mine in last year, it was only sporadically giving the RRoD. The rep gave me some things to check, and one of them worked, but he suggested that I send it in anyway. So if I were you, I'd still send it in. It's actually pretty common that a 360 will red ring one time then work the next (repeat ad nauseum). But once you get it, it will never truly get well.

It's kinda like getting herpes.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Sort of related to the topic, but I can't decide what I should do between:

A. Sending in my 360 to get the disk drive fixed claiming its RROD, getting a new drive and THEN legally modding the case/fans.

or B. Fixing everything by myself, modding it, keeping the firmware from my 1st disk drive and not doing anything illegal/ban worthy whatsoever.[/quote]

Only problem mine had, was being unable to read any disks in it. May, have something to do with all those xbox games I picked up at garage sales... I filed a claim, that it RROD. And, they repaired it free of charge - sent it back with 1 year warranty and 1 month gold~ However, I wouldn't go around bragging... given, it might screw up things for future repairs. ;)

[quote name='Access_Denied']Can you actually send in a box without the RROD, and still get it repaired? Because I have a box with the RROD, but I toweled it, so it would work temporarily. But, my box will be here soon. What happens if it doesn't RROD again by the time the box gets here? Should I just towel it and try to make it rrod again? Or should I just send it in and hope to get a new one back?[/quote]

Regardless, of a legit RROD or not. They'll send you a new xbox before they even fix your old 360.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Sort of related to the topic, but I can't decide what I should do between:

or B. Fixing everything by myself, modding it, keeping the firmware from my 1st disk drive and not doing anything illegal/ban worthy whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Eh, changing ANYTHING inside of your box can be ban worthy. There are stories of people having your idea, changing the fans, and getting the ban hammer. Anything that changes inside of the box that it can recognize, fan speed, new drive, etc, the data is sent back to M$.

Ummm. If you want to get the RROD, leave on your Xbox for a long period of time. It will eventually overheat, causing the RROD. After it stops overheat, keep it on again. That RROD should be in for repair.

I've left my console on for a few days, just downloading demos. Will that RROD the console?

The console is just downloading. It's like having the console on, but at idle.

bread's done
Back