Where does the "Buy It Now" icon go once an item has been bid on?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
There's something I was watching that was listed at $50 and BIN for $70. Somone bid and the BIN icon went away.... what gives?

[quote name='vrs1650']When someone bids, you can no longer buy it now.[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense. Now the buyer runs the risk no one else will bid - wouldn't it make more sense to let someone have the option to BIN anyway?

I agree, I think the rationale is the buyer will take the risk of selling at a lower price than the auction may go, to get rid of it quickly. Or something like that.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='vrs1650']When someone bids, you can no longer buy it now.[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense. Now the buyer runs the risk no one else will bid - wouldn't it make more sense to let someone have the option to BIN anyway?[/quote]

Thats true but, you just pay 5 cents for someonr to snag it up quick if they really want it.

well from my perspective it really stinks. if I want to bid , I guess I'll enter my max bid as what the BIN price was but I'm not going to bid over that amount...

I would assume that it's because when you bid on eBay, you are making a legal contract to pay the buyer. But yeah, It's stupid.

Sometimes it benefits the seller. An item i want was listed at a reasonable Buy it Now price, but I hesitated and someone placed a bid. The item ended up selling for 10% more than the BIN price.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']That's the way eBay's system works. Yahoo Japan's auctions keeps the Buy It Now alive until the current bid exceeds it.[/quote]

I like that system better...

Haven't you noticed the caption that plainly states 'This option will end after first bid?' They're very upfront about it. Any seller who doesn't like the idea someone could bid cheap and win has only themselves to blame. Minimum bid is part of setting up an auction. It makes for higher fees if your item doesn't but in that case you probably overvalued it.

A thing is worth what someone will pay you for it, not what you wish to charge.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']That's the way eBay's system works. Yahoo Japan's auctions keeps the Buy It Now alive until the current bid exceeds it.[/quote]

I like that system better...[/quote]

It could be disastrous for the seller. If you have an item that is attracting a lot of bids and creeping close to the BIN price, someone could use it to snatch the item rather than letting the bids continue to their full potential.

Personally, I'd never use BIN when selling stuff. I want vicious cutthroat competition to break out over my merchandise. I want to start wiping blood and gore off my virtual shop's counter after I hand the buyer his bag and receipt.

no idea why it dus that..but i do agree that it can benefit the buyer in the sense that sometimes the auction goes higher than the buy it now..but i do hate when ppl have their auctions and make the buy it now like a penny more than the starting price :(

I use BIN for almost all of my auctions (as a seller). Overall I think I come out 10-20% ahead using that.

Maybe if I was selling something truly rare I would hope for a bidding war, but with stuff I'm often selling (used video games, etc) there are about 100+ of any title up at any given moment, so there ain't much chance of a bidding war breaking out on my specific listing.

javery - That seller was doing something I'll often do. He listed it at $49.99 to get a lower listing fee ($1.20 vs. $2.40 if he had made $70 the min bid I think) and then put a higher BIN for what he hoped to get. With a high starting bid it's unlikely someone will bid right away and kill the BIN early.

If the starting bid was actually $50 and not $49.99, then he's an idiot :)

[quote name='TomCloud9'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='vrs1650']When someone bids, you can no longer buy it now.[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense. Now the buyer runs the risk no one else will bid - wouldn't it make more sense to let someone have the option to BIN anyway?[/quote]

Thats true but, you just pay 5 cents for someonr to snag it up quick if they really want it.[/quote]
The buy it now feature is going up in price depending on the amount of the buy it now. For $50 and over, its going to be 25 cents instead of the flat rate of 5 cents it is now. Ebay is costing more to use now. This takes effect in February.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']That's the way eBay's system works. Yahoo Japan's auctions keeps the Buy It Now alive until the current bid exceeds it.[/quote]

It could be disastrous for the seller. If you have an item that is attracting a lot of bids and creeping close to the BIN price, someone could use it to snatch the item rather than letting the bids continue to their full potential.

Personally, I'd never use BIN when selling stuff. I want vicious cutthroat competition to break out over my merchandise. I want to start wiping blood and gore off my virtual shop's counter after I hand the buyer his bag and receipt.[/quote]

I don't see why it'd be disastrous for the seller. The seller sets the Buy It Now price, a price he/she is willing to take for the item. If someone is willing to pay the asking price, he/she gets it. If buyer wants vicious cutthroat competition to break out then the seller shouldn't use Buy It Now in the first place.

[quote name='addicted2games'][quote name='TomCloud9'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='vrs1650']When someone bids, you can no longer buy it now.[/quote]

Thats true but, you just pay 5 cents for someonr to snag it up quick if they really want it.[/quote]
The buy it now feature is going up in price depending on the amount of the buy it now. For $50 and over, its going to be 25 cents instead of the flat rate of 5 cents it is now. Ebay is costing more to use now. This takes effect in February.[/quote]

Damn that sucks. I've been amazed the BIN is just a nickel, to me it's so worth doing for that little bit more. I guess I'd rather them do this than raise it to a dime across the board.

eBay fees are going to just keep going up and up as long as they are a clear #1.

*goes to see if any other fees are also uppping in Feb.

EDIT:

Here's the changes according to auctionbytes.com:

http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y05/m01/i12/s00

BIN is actually going to raise all up the chain between $10 and $50+. Bummer.

BIN Price / Fee
$0.01-9.99 / $0.05
$10-24.99 / $0.10
$25-49.99 / $0.20
$50+ / $0.25

I remember taking a survey from ebay about BIN not too long ago. They were interested in how much more I'd pay to use it. I said no to every option besides keeping it at 5 cents. Too bad everyone else didn't answer the same way.

Also I agree with Wubb about BIN making me extra money. I always search completed auctions and set my BIN right around the high end of the all the completed auctions. In my opinion it's not worth hoping for a bidding war when the more common result is your item selling for less then you could get with a good BIN.

[quote name='wubb']
Here's the changes according to auctionbytes.com:

http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y05/m01/i12/s00

BIN is actually going to raise all up the chain between $10 and $50+. Bummer.

BIN Price / Fee
$0.01-9.99 / $0.05
$10-24.99 / $0.10
$25-49.99 / $0.20
$50+ / $0.25[/quote]

Ah, that stinks. I added BIN to pretty much all my auctions since it was only a nickel (almost like nothing).

I like eBay's BIN system. It's kind of like a pseudo-reserve price that I think benefits both the seller and the buyer. For the seller, if a bidder doesn't use BIN price, other bidders can easily take it over the BIN price. If they knew the BIN price after is option is gone, they might see it as a limit on their max bid. For the bidder, it's good to get rid of the reserve price, since it prevents another buyer from hijacking the auction and emailing the seller, offering to buy it at the BIN price off of eBay. If the seller is concerned about it being lower than the BIN price, then they should have just added a reserve, raise the minimum bid, or just make the auction BIN only. That's how I see it, at least.

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='screwkick']ebay is gay[/quote]

Really? It has sex with other men?[/quote]

Awful chauvinist of you to assume eBay would be male. [-X

Once an item is bid on, the buy it now button packs it up, mixes a drink, and puts it feet up until the next time its needed.

What? You don't know for sure do you? It just disappears!! Hey, it could happen! :D

As far as I know the buy it now remains as long as the bidders high bid doesn't exceed it. Basically if the buy it now is 70, and bid is at 50 but the max bid is 75 then the buy it now is gone, but if the max bid is 65 it remains. At least that's how it used to be.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']As far as I know the buy it now remains as long as the bidders high bid doesn't exceed it. Basically if the buy it now is 70, and bid is at 50 but the max bid is 75 then the buy it now is gone, but if the max bid is 65 it remains. At least that's how it used to be.[/quote]

Nope, that's not how it is. Read the very first reply in this thread for how it works today. Only exception is when there is a reserve set, then the bid has to hit the reserve before the BIN goes away.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Yahoo Japan's auctions keeps the Buy It Now alive until the current bid exceeds it.[/quote]

That makes ... no ... sense ... at all.

Why would someone, with the option of either choosing the Buy It Now feature and end the auction or bidding over the Buy It Now and paying more (and possibly even losing the auction), choose to pay more?\

It makes no sense.

[quote name='snipegod'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']Yahoo Japan's auctions keeps the Buy It Now alive until the current bid exceeds it.[/quote]

That makes ... no ... sense ... at all.

Why would someone, with the option of either choosing the Buy It Now feature and end the auction or bidding over the Buy It Now and paying more (and possibly even losing the auction), choose to pay more?\

It makes no sense.[/quote]

You're looking at it backwards (I think).... That would really only come into play if the BIN was, say, one bid increment higher than the current bid. If I'm looking at an item and the BIN is $100 and I'm considering buying it and someone comes in and bids $20 the option to BIN goes away and the seller risks it going for a lot less than his BIN price. If I really wanted the item it might be worth a little more money to BIN to avoid a bidding war and the possibility of not getting the item at all.... at least that's how I look at it.

[quote name='javeryh']You're looking at it backwards (I think).... That would really only come into play if the BIN was, say, one bid increment higher than the current bid. If I'm looking at an item and the BIN is $100 and I'm considering buying it and someone comes in and bids $20 the option to BIN goes away and the seller risks it going for a lot less than his BIN price. If I really wanted the item it might be worth a little more money to BIN to avoid a bidding war and the possibility of not getting the item at all.... at least that's how I look at it.[/quote]

My "makes no sense" comment was directed at the notion that, if there's a Buy It Now, the bidding would ever exceed that Buy It Now for it to go away; get it?

I was under the impression that sellers were supposed to start the auction at the very least that they were willing to let the item go for. Otherwise, it'd obviously be at their own risk.

honestly, buy it now just makes it seem easier for those people who don't want to wait to get their item. i use it with the must pay now feature. sometimes i set a buy it now price higher than the item should reasonably sell for but throw in lame freebies like free shipping and the like.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']That's the way eBay's system works. Yahoo Japan's auctions keeps the Buy It Now alive until the current bid exceeds it.[/quote]

Personally, I'd never use BIN when selling stuff. I want vicious cutthroat competition to break out over my merchandise. I want to start wiping blood and gore off my virtual shop's counter after I hand the buyer his bag and receipt.[/quote]

I don't see why it'd be disastrous for the seller. The seller sets the Buy It Now price, a price he/she is willing to take for the item. If someone is willing to pay the asking price, he/she gets it. If buyer wants vicious cutthroat competition to break out then the seller shouldn't use Buy It Now in the first place.[/quote]

Which is why I said I'd never use it. Read before writing much? If I'm selling on eBay it's with the intent of getting the highest price for my item. A seller might use buy it now if they're uncertain the item will draw much interest and just want a satisfactory price. If it does turn out there is considerable interest being stuck with BIN capping the potential of the auction is very much disaster when it comes to sales.

[quote name='jimbodan']I remember taking a survey from ebay about BIN not too long ago. They were interested in how much more I'd pay to use it. I said no to every option besides keeping it at 5 cents.[/quote]
That was your mistake. I'm quite certain they had already decided to raise the price and were just trying to decide how much to raise it by. They put in the 'leave it at 5 cents option' because they know a whole lot of people are going to pick the cheapest option, no matter what, so they put in an option they know they're not going to go with to filter those people out. In other words, by picking the cheapest price, you made your vote irrelivant.

From now on, always pick the SECOND cheapest price :)

[quote name='Drocket'][quote name='jimbodan']I remember taking a survey from ebay about BIN not too long ago. They were interested in how much more I'd pay to use it. I said no to every option besides keeping it at 5 cents.[/quote]
That was your mistake. I'm quite certain they had already decided to raise the price and were just trying to decide how much to raise it by. They put in the 'leave it at 5 cents option' because they know a whole lot of people are going to pick the cheapest option, no matter what, so they put in an option they know they're not going to go with to filter those people out. In other words, by picking the cheapest price, you made your vote irrelivant.

From now on, always pick the SECOND cheapest price :)[/quote]

Eh, maybe, but I stand by point that if everyone said leave it alone, it would be get left alone. Also I didn't want it to go up by the second cheapest price, so even if I picked that it would still suck. I'd rather they at least see some people don't want it raised then cave in and accept a raise of any kind.

[quote name='"jimbodan"'][quote name='Drocket']Eh, maybe, but I stand by point that if everyone said leave it alone, it would be get left alone.[/quote]
Well, if you can get a few hundred thousand people to work together without a single solitary person breaking ranks, MAYBE... Good luck with that, though :p

I really don't think it would matter, though: by the time a company publicly hints that they may even consider raising their prices, its means that they've already decided to raise their prices, and that the only thing they're discussing at that point is how much.

bread's done
Back