Is your ISP full of shit like mine?

Megalith

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Optimum Online Boost user here. Advertised speeds: 30 megabit d/l, 5 megabit u/l.

Downloading off newsgroups using Giganews right now. Speed? 10 megabits.

Is this a fucking joke? And it's 11:47 PM, which is considerably past peak hours.

FiOS can't get here soon enough.

Mine (Charter, fucktards of the universe) keep upping the speed (along with the subscription fee) without telling any notice. Only once you reach a certain point and are not a rampant pirate, even faster internet speeds don't have any benefits.

I think your download speed is limited by how much is upped from whoever is on the other end anyway.

Either way, I guarantee my ISP is full of more shit than everybody else's combined. I'd love to put a flaming bag of dog shit outside Charter HQ. Or find out where Paul Allen parks and key his car.

I haven't had any problems with Cox... I get what they advertise(9mbps) 90% of the time that i'm downloading, most of the time it goes past it, on speedtest.net I always get 20mbps+ somehow...

Wow, fuck you guys and your wired connections. I get a good 1 MB, usually 400-800KB using wireless.

Also, Comcast sucks ass. Everything about them. The service just stops working every once in a while, the support sucks, etc.

I get

Download Speed: 18758 kbps (2344.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2395 kbps (299.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

on comcast.

Their upload blows like crazy and comcast sucks in general, but the dl speeds are usually pretty good.

Two words: "up to". Along with "starts at", those words basically nullify any meaning of the words that follow it.

363211196.png

I'm actually seeing major fluctuations between speed tests on different sites...I guess they really are unreliable after all.

[quote name='seanr1221']My verizon DSL isn't that great :/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Just tried speedtest.net, and I've got:

Verizon DSL
Download 747/kbs
Upload 134/kbs

Kind of slow, but I only pay $20 a month.[/QUOTE]

I pay $25 (no phone service), and I'm REALLY glad I switched from Comcast. Sure it's 'slow', but I'd much, much have slower speed and a cheaper price. Comcast went up to $60!

Verizon has faster DSL for $10 more a month that's basically the same speed as Comcast, but for me it's not worth it.

I guess AT&T's prices are a lot better still...like into the $10-15 range for that level of service.

I have to wait longer for demos to download...but so what? MY PS3 and PC happily Fold while they download, and my 360 turns itself off when it's done.

I'm pissed off about comcasts 250 gb bandwidth limit per month. Right before XBL went live with netflix for streaming movies. Bastards.

Well, that's over the wireless network in the house. I haven't tried the Netflix for XBox Live yet, but I guess that it will not be fast enough...

I wish that I could get Fios. I live to far away from anywhere (NH is nowhere for anything useful). Hell, I'm pissed that we don't get on Demand either, but there isn't anything that I can do about it.

TBW

If those are your speeds, that's COMPLETE overkill for streaming video. Those speeds are a lot higher than DVD bit rate even, let alone streaming stuff.

Verizon Fios is really good. I average around 20/5 and usually the lowest i've seen is 15/3.

I am quite jealous of CheapyD though:

[quote name='CheapyD']Read 'em and weep, fellas:

Don't even pay for my internet...its included in my rent.[/quote]

:drool::drool::drool:

when i lived in chicago i had comcast which sucked dick. often while using bittorrent i would wake up to find that i lost all my peers or 'unable to connect to tracker' when I woke up.

living in las vegas for 3months now i haven't had a problem with Cox. I stay well under 200gb a month but at times i snatch 20-25gb in a day. never had a single problem with them.

This is what I get through Verizon FiOS

Those who may say FiOS can't get to your area soon enough, I can't be so sure about that. While FiOS is good, Verizon kind of has their own financial problems. I live in the only city in the midwest where you can get FiOS, and they just haven't expanded it yet outside my city. While there's a very high demand for FiOS, Verizon in my area continues to lay off tons of people (I was thinking all through college I was going to be able to work there, since my Dad did for all the years and knew most everyone at the company) who have even worked there for several years (and they haven't exactly been hiring).

When I'm hosting Warhawk, I can host 24 people.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If those are your speeds, that's COMPLETE overkill for streaming video. Those speeds are a lot higher than DVD bit rate even, let alone streaming stuff.[/quote]

I'll try to get it tested this weekend. The only reason that I think it could be a problem is that Live sucks for downloads. Demos take hours and hours to download, so I'm worried about running Netflix for streaming video THROUGH Live.

We'll see...here's to hoping.

TBW

Speakeasy - Atlanta

Download Speed: 6508 kbps (813.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 413 kbps (51.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Huh, that's weird.

I topped out at 780kb/s down and 50kb/s up with torrents before.

Paying an extra $10 a month for RR Turbo, not entirely sure it's worth it.

Edit: And the test 5 minutes later:

Fluctuate much?

Tried it just now on speedtest:

And then on speakeasy again (which I did the first time) and got:

Download Speed: 21208 kbps (2651 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2612 kbps (326.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Compared to yesterday's:

Download Speed: 18758 kbps (2344.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2395 kbps (299.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

So I guess nobody is using the internets around here right now or something.

Read it and weep boys

Not even the lowest tier offered. TimeWarnerCable FTL. "Fastest Internet blah blah." I can't wait to move into a house and hopefully get Verizon

I have optimum online and its good when it wants to fucking work, but in most cases my net goes out at least 5 times a day making online multiplayer games pretty much pointless. Also there's no other broadband service available so I'm stuck with this piece of crap. Don't think its possible to fix this junk, tried getting a new splitter once but that didn't work at all sigh.

Whats weird is that my cousin who lives about 2hrs away from me has optimum online and its awesome over there, the net never goes out.

Boo fucking Hoo! I live in Australia and it costs $150+ for unlimited data usage internet. However on my $80 per month plan with iiNet, I get 15 gb data download peak and 25 gb data download offpeak and have the speeds of:

bread's done
Back