Timing out=involuntary signing out

Watchman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I've noticed in recent months if I let the site sit for more than 20, 30 minutes I end up "logging out" upon anything I click. The thing is there's a lot to read and linked to that you end up daisy-chaining from the forum to an article to something else-- and I do that a lot . So, how do I increase the ability to check multiple outside links, and know when I get back to CAG that it won't keep asking me to log back in? It's frustrating as all get-out.:bomb:

It is probably something with your cookies. Check to make sure that they kept for longer than a certain time limit, or if they are restricted to one session.

I get this same behavior on my other machine. It seems to "time out", then I'm suddenly not logged in to CAG anymore. This seems to happen if I keep CAG open in a tab, go do some stuff on the net, come back to it, and try to visit any forum post after that.

[quote name='darthbudge']It is probably something with your cookies. Check to make sure that they kept for longer than a certain time limit, or if they are restricted to one session.[/quote]

So, how and where do I do that? My browser cookies get erased after each shutdown. I thought there's a way on the site here, as I recall.

OP: I get the same problem too, unless I click the 'Remember Me' box when logging in.

Maybe you only get timed cookie if you don't click it?

[quote name='darthbudge']It is probably something with your cookies. Check to make sure that they kept for longer than a certain time limit, or if they are restricted to one session.[/quote]

I know in my case it's NOT the cookies, as they are set to expire 'at end of session' according to FF, regardless if I click the 'Remember Me' box or not.

[quote name='manthing']OP: I get the same problem too, unless I click the 'Remember Me' box when logging in.

Maybe you only get timed cookie if you don't click it?

I know in my case it's NOT the cookies, as they are set to expire 'at end of session' according to FF, regardless if I click the 'Remember Me' box or not.[/quote]

Same here. No matter if I check "remember me" or not, I get the same behavior you do.

I get logged out after 20-30 minutes on pretty much any computer when I don't have my account set up to automatically log in.

I have this problem too, but only on one machine. Massively annoying. And it's *not* my cookie settings--lots of other sites remember my cookies fine.

[quote name='shrike4242']What browser version are you using?[/quote]

The final Firefox 2.X. However, for the record, it didn't used to do this. I could stay logged in all day up until about 4-5 months ago.

[quote name='shrike4242']What browser version are you using?[/QUOTE]

I've had it on two different machines, using the latest version of Firefox.

I get this on my machine with FF 3.0.6. It doesn't matter if I click "Remember Me" and I have no cookie issue on any other sites.

Same problem. Now using Firefox 3.0.8 but that issue continues to occur even before upgrading to 3.0.8
When I'm on my iPhone surfing, it stays logged for days... weeks. It will log out ONLY when I clear cookies or I log out myself, of course.

Same problem. Firefox is doing this to me across many sites. It will remember the password/username but won't log in my automatically anymore. It had worked perfectly for months. I tried everything suggested on the help forums for Firefox and nothing has helped. I also have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now with no luck. Just switched to Chrome for now.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Same problem. Firefox is doing this to me across many sites. It will remember the password/username but won't log in my automatically anymore. It had worked perfectly for months. I tried everything suggested on the help forums for Firefox and nothing has helped. I also have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now with no luck. Just switched to Chrome for now.[/quote]

Here's the thing-- it's not really Firefox, but the site. I could leave any other page open for weeks and never be signed out in FF-- but CAG's page does it after about 30 minutes of inactivity.

Still happening, no solution. Kotaku stays signed in, Facebook, you name it-- but yet CAG just signs me out after about 10 minutes.

This is cruel and unusual punishment.

Perhaps try deleting all your CAG cookies and then log in again...

It works fine for me on the latest Firefox.

[quote name='crystalklear64']If you are using Firefox, try creating a new profile.

Resorted to this and it ended up working.[/QUOTE]

A new profile on here? No way. I like my profile and my long-standing status.

Cheapy, I'll try deleting all of 'em. Guess I'll find out in about 20 minutes if it worked.

Firefox here too, and it's been that way since I started coming here, I just thought it was the way the site was designed. It's about 10-25 minutes I'd guess, and I'm logged out. I haven't tried to get around the issue simply because I thought the site worked that way until I started browsing in the forums and saw it's an issue for a lot of people and doesn't sound like it's the way it's supposed to be.

Is there a time limit now? I hate having to log in every 20 minutes when the website is up in front of me.

i get logged out all of the time so much so that i usually don't post anymore because i find it too annoying to log back in it has been happening for about 2 or 3 months now.

I've had this happen too. Really annoying. Does it during a post (-_-')

It's not leftover cookies, since I have FF delete all cookies/history/etc every time I close the browser. So, ?.

Also, does this on my DSi, but thats probably because its a crappy browser >_>

It's strange because I'm using the latest version of Firefox and do not have this problem. I wonder if there are certain plug-ins causing conflicts...

I can't reproduce the error which makes it hard to fix.

That's the thing Cheapy--I too have the latest Firefox, and I have very few add-ons, none of which should affect it. In fact, all the add-ons I have came AFTER I mentioned this problem.
Also, I've tried the cookie route before--nothing from CAG is even in the list that could be causing this. It just keeps happening, and it happens both with FF and Safari.

I had this problem before and I remember what you have to do.

You need to delete a file called cookies.sqlite

EDIT:

http://support.mozilla.com/eu/kb/profiles#Windows_Vista_and_7

To get to where this file is located....

If you're running Vista/7, Press Start and in the Search, put in:
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

If you're running XP/2000, Press Start, click on Run, and put in:
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

The cookies.sqlite will be in this. Delete it. That should solve your problems of constantly being logged off. Let me know if it works. I'm 99% sure it should as that solved the problem when I encountered it.

Sorry Ice, didn't work. Found the cookie on my Mac with a quick search, deleted it, waited 20 minutes, and we're still back to square one. Had to log back in just to add this response.

Sooooo, here's the thing.  I'm back after oh, I don't know, six years absence short of a visit once in a while to check a deal since I got my Webhead PS4 before BF for $100. 

I'm STILL having this problem NINE YEARS LATER. And I'm on a work computer. WHYYYYY Cheapy, WHY?!

(oh, and inb4 you say "why are you on CAG at work in the first place?" because I'm actually allowed to surf since my job involves watching a desk for occasional tech support all night.) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yoooo...

I dont know if you can change the timing out/logging out of the site but is there a way to make it stay logged in longer? It seems like every time I am on the site, go do something else for even a brief moment, then get back to the same thread it has already logged me out and asking me to sign back in. And with a name like "Serendipity" its such a pain in the ass to try to keep spelling right.

bread's done
Back