Disgaea PS2 GH & Blue Dragon 360 $14.99 NEW HWV

blue dragon was a big disappointment imo. Read up on it. The story and dialogue are cringe worthy at times.. and that's not even taking into account that the gameplay is pretty boring. I grew up playing turn-based rpgs and this one was a stinker.

[quote name='salparadise78']blue dragon was a big disappointment imo. Read up on it. The story and dialogue are cringe worthy at times.. and that's not even taking into account that the gameplay is pretty boring. I grew up playing turn-based rpgs and this one was a stinker.[/quote]

I concur-very disappointed in this game.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up.

Is Disgaea 1 for the PS2 worth playing? There have been quite a few iterations of this game (Disgaea 3 came out this year for the PS3, correct?), is one version vastly superior to another or is Disgaea 1 just fine?

Best version of Disgaea 1 is probably Disgaea PSP. It's also the only one in GH form on the PS2, but you're pretty much faced with the choice of a worse Etna VA or a crapton of extra content. Disgaea DS kills way too much style and presentation for a first timer, even though it has a little more stuff than the PSP version, but not much. 'sides, if you're into that sort of thing you can always "patch" the PSP version with the better Etna... well for the main game at least.

[quote name='salparadise78']blue dragon was a big disappointment imo. Read up on it. The story and dialogue are cringe worthy at times.. and that's not even taking into account that the gameplay is pretty boring. I grew up playing turn-based rpgs and this one was a stinker.[/QUOTE]

I disagree - thought it was one of the very best 360 games I've played. It is well worth $14.99 for any JRPG fan IMO. If you don't like JRPG's with turn-based combat, then, by all means, don't get it (not referring to you but to those who don't like such things - wouldn't want them getting it on my recommendation if it isn't their type of thing).

I saw the Disagea GH at HWV too a couple of weeks ago - it is definitely the first one. Kind of maddening when I think back to the scratched up disc-only copy I bought from GS used for, like, $45 a few years ago... (and I have yet to play it)

[quote name='salparadise78']blue dragon was a big disappointment imo. Read up on it. The story and dialogue are cringe worthy at times.. and that's not even taking into account that the gameplay is pretty boring. I grew up playing turn-based rpgs and this one was a stinker.[/quote]

The story was actually okay, and the gameplay isn't anything worse (or better) that 90% of other JRPGs.

The dialog is the stinker. When the entire playable cast is 8 years old and their dialog is all lifted from various episodes of Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh...*shudder*

Good villain though.

[quote name='salparadise78']blue dragon was a big disappointment imo. Read up on it. The story and dialogue are cringe worthy at times.. and that's not even taking into account that the gameplay is pretty boring. I grew up playing turn-based rpgs and this one was a stinker.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dcswirl']I concur-very disappointed in this game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='io']I disagree - thought it was one of the very best 360 games I've played. It is well worth $14.99 for any JRPG fan IMO. If you don't like JRPG's with turn-based combat, then, by all means, don't get it (not referring to you but to those who don't like such things - wouldn't want them getting it on my recommendation if it isn't their type of thing).[/quote]

Yeah, I completely agree with Io. Now personally I think you'd want to play Lost Odyssey first if you're only playing one, as it (IMO) has a much better story. But Blue Dragon's gameplay is classic Sakaguchi, and even the story has it's moments (and is better than most Japanese RPGS...which is saying nothing, but still).

Those two games are two of the big reasons I own a 360.

I saw Blue Dragon there on Saturday for that price. If I would've seen Disgaea as well I probably would've picked them both up since it was B1G1 free this past weekend. I scanned the PS2 games quickly and didn't see anything that caught my eye. $7.50 each would've been a killer deal.

[quote name='io']
I saw the Disagea GH at HWV too a couple of weeks ago - it is definitely the first one.[/quote]
Yes, just to confirm, it was the first Disgaea.

bread's done
Back