- - - - -

Amazon: Metal Gear Solid 4 Playstation 3 BC 80gb - Now in stock

#31 T3kN   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   408 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

I am so tempted to buy this.
Just the $500 price tag is a little to much for me.
Also im afraid of the longevity of it as well, do to buying about 5 PS2's last generation. Do you guys know if Amazon does a extended warranty plan like Best buy does?
Also does this PS3 come with a built in wireless card to connect to the internet?

p.s. only seems like there are 9 left.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 BlueScrote   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4859 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

BlueScrote

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

yes this has wireless (all of them except the old 20 gb do) The MGS4 bundle model is CECHExx:

http://en.wikipedia...._configurations

#33 Justin42   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3643 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

He means SACDs -- Super Audio CDs -- which are 24-bit 192k and can sound amazing if your speakers and amp are up to the task of showing why.

Here's a little-reported fact about the BC PS3: It's the only SACD player capable of sending HD multichannel audio to digital outs. Every other SACD player I've ever owned or read about disables or omits digital outs to avoid D-to-D HD piracy. However, if you downgrade your firmware, the PS3 will do the otherwise impossible -- useful if you're a musician who wants to sample 24-bit orchestral pieces (like me!).

To find a copy of digital-out-enabling FW, and lots of other information on the making the most of the PS3's SACD functions, visit this useful site: http://www.ps3sacd.com/

And for people who don't want a PS3 but are interested in SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray and HDVD, as well as the usual codecs (divx, etc.), have a look at Denon's new DVD-A1UD!

(Edit: The wiki link directly above this response was posted while I was writing mine -- I didn't see it before.)

Is it now possible to downgrade firmware? I didn't think you could on the PS3-- and if you want to do ANYTHING with it online, you'll be immediately required to go to the latest version.

Given that 2.0 is a year old now and they've never addressed why that functionality appeared and mysteriously disappeared a week later, I have a feeling it's never to return.

That said, SACDs are absolutely amazing and a really underrated aspect of the original PS3. I have a small collection of SACDs and really enjoy listening to them. They are "special" discs in that you can't easily make one yourself, and you can't burn copies... although some discs are hybrids meaning it has a CD layer which will play on a normal CD player (but only CD-quality sound)... if you have the audio system (and PS3 with the SACD functionality) for it, definitely check it out.

#34 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:37 PM

BC is tempting but since I already have a nice slim PS2 that works fine . . . not such a big deal.

#35 Needles-Kane  

Needles-Kane

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

It's a combination of software and hardware. And I think I remember reading it's something like a 90% rate of games that are emulated. I don't know for sure though.

The first 2 games I put in did not work well. Manhunt 1 would not display video and Genji 1 froze about every 5 minutes. At least they were not spectacular games but I did want to play Genji 1 obviously before I started Genji 2. God of War worked perfect though and looked beautiful in comparison to my PS2 running it in progressive scan 480P.

Those are the only 3 games I tried and gave up due to disappointment since the one and only reason I bought this bundle was for BC, there is nothing else enticing on the system over the competition. At least it was only $400 at Walmart when it launched :)

#36 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2420 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

Well, even though it's dead, I was wondering: Does this one have the MGS4 LE copy, or does that come with just the gunmetal one? Also, why are some of the photos with a white PS3?

#37 Logical Dolphin   TIME PARADOX CAGiversary!   821 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Logical Dolphin

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

I thought the 80GB MGS4 bundle has the 65nm cpu/gpus in them...

The 80GB MGS4 bundle does have the 90nm CPU/GPU. This is confirmed because the manual states the power consumption is ~380W, the same as the original 60GB model.

#38 Logical Dolphin   TIME PARADOX CAGiversary!   821 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Logical Dolphin

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

Well, even though it's dead, I was wondering: Does this one have the MGS4 LE copy, or does that come with just the gunmetal one? Also, why are some of the photos with a white PS3?

Only the Gunmetal PS3 bundle came with the LE version of MGS4.

#39 bossman   Like a Boss CAGiversary!   540 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:41 AM

It seems to be in stock now

#40 gkrykewy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:11 AM

I really wonder how long this is going to be in stock, since people aren't as into gmaing as many will simply pick up the 160gb uncharted pack for that price.

There is not a single person in the entire world who will buy that horrible, horrible 160GB bundle. Worst sku in the history of console skus.

$500 consoles... ugh.

#41 robb01   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   87 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:20 AM

There is not a single person in the entire world who will buy that horrible, horrible 160GB bundle. Worst sku in the history of console skus.

$500 consoles... ugh.

Agreed Posted Image

#42 bigdaddybruce44   Murders & Executions CAGiversary!   13295 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

bigdaddybruce44

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

...or not.

#43 prateeko   IN THE BUTT! CAGiversary!   2703 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:24 AM

Appears to be 7 left...

#44 T3kN   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   408 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

Seems to be only about 4 left now...
I think im going to pass.
The only reason I would be getting a PS3 would be to play my PS2 collection on it really, but I dont think its that worth it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 Jesse_Dylan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3662 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Jesse_Dylan

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Once PS2s stop selling well, Sony will magically discover a way to offer backward compatibility to PS3 owners via a downloads (probably for each game).

Not that I'm not tempted to grab this. That, and MGS 4, are definitely worth an extra $100 to me, but I have a deal worth $250 that only works with the $399 80gb model, as far as I can tell.

I guess I could try the codes and see if they work, though... Worth a shot!

Shaq Fu... I had a Playstation Underground code good for $100 off when I buy a certain game and two certain Blu-Rays. In addition, you get another $150 off with the Sony credit card. Anyway, I made an order and used the $100, then never finished putting the order through. Now, when I try to do it, either with this PS3 or with the regular 80gb PS3, it says my coupon has already been used. I hope I didn't just shaq fu it up, but it looks like I did.

Also looks like it would have applied to this PS3 as well, and once these PS3s are gone, I'll be SoL.

I bet the $150 would work, though, even though I screwed up basically getting a free game and two free Blu-rays. Damn it. That's so not fair.

So do I e-mail Amazon about the non-working codes, and risk this going out of stock, or do I bite the bullet and buy this and hope to heck the $150 off with the credit card works?

:( :(

Edited by Jesse_Dylan, 05 December 2008 - 03:25 PM.

#46 DKYang   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   161 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

This just had to come out after a bought a PS3 from ebay with 30% CB. Oh well, I'd rather not sign up for a credit card just to get a good deal on this. I think I'll be happy with the newer PS3s. I still have my big fat PS2 if I ever feel like playing a PS2 game.

#47 silent h3ro   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1333 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

silent h3ro

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

How can you guys see the stock on these?

#48 chosen1s   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1810 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

This just had to come out after a bought a PS3 from ebay with 30% CB. Oh well, I'd rather not sign up for a credit card just to get a good deal on this. I think I'll be happy with the newer PS3s. I still have my big fat PS2 if I ever feel like playing a PS2 game.

Ha! Same here. I've at least got the slim ps2 though - still, it has some hiccups when playing DVD's which makes me wonder how much life is left in it.

More importantly: There's a LOT of talk on here about BC and non-BC ps3's. I have the 80gb coming to me (not the MGS bundle) and will arrive soon. Would somebody mind explaining the Backwards Compatibility issue? I thought they were "all" BC, but that some systems required you to download software and others had the BC feature built in. Am I missing something?
Fear breeds Hesitation;
Hesitation will make your worst fears come true.

#49 silent h3ro   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1333 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

silent h3ro

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Newer Ps3 models don't have the Ps2 graphics chip built in like the 80GB MGS4 and Motorstorm bundles did. Those bundles were missing the Emotion Engine however and that is why software emulation is used. The launch 20GB and 60GB models had both the PS2 Emotion Engine and the graphics chip built in.

#50 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11091 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Once PS2s stop selling well, Sony will magically discover a way to offer backward compatibility to PS3 owners via a downloads (probably for each game).

I won't be surprised if they eventually just add the Graphics Synthesizer back into the hardware after sufficient cost savings have been achieved in other areas. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they do, if a decent pure-software BC solution can't be worked out by the time PS2 sales have flatlined and Sony is getting ready to roll out the 'PS3 Slim.'

My personal ideal situation for buying a PS3: In time for Final Fantasy XIII's US release in mid-2010, Sony has released the PS3 Slim which comes with a 320GB hard drive, is BC enabled, and retails for $200. Maybe there will even be a FF13 pack-in bundle. Make it happen Sony!

Ryuukishi634.png

#51 SnotRocket   $20? To much! CAGiversary!   351 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

SnotRocket

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

Backwards capable is worth the money. Thanks!

banner1.gif
fss_overall.png

#52 ma   Rattled By The Rush CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Ha! Same here. I've at least got the slim ps2 though - still, it has some hiccups when playing DVD's which makes me wonder how much life is left in it.

More importantly: There's a LOT of talk on here about BC and non-BC ps3's. I have the 80gb coming to me (not the MGS bundle) and will arrive soon. Would somebody mind explaining the Backwards Compatibility issue? I thought they were "all" BC, but that some systems required you to download software and others had the BC feature built in. Am I missing something?

All PS3s use S/W BC for PS1 games.

For PS2 games, it's more complicated:
60GB, 20GB PS3s = full H/W BC (Emotion engine + graphics synthesizer)
80GB Motorstorm, MGS4 bundles = partial H/W BC (graphics synthesizer) + emulated Emotion engine
All others = no PS2 BC

So your 80GB system will not run PS2 games, unless it's a Motorstorm or MGS4 bundle.

See:

#53 ma   Rattled By The Rush CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

I won't be surprised if they eventually just add the Graphics Synthesizer back into the hardware after sufficient cost savings have been achieved in other areas. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they do, if a decent pure-software BC solution can't be worked out by the time PS2 sales have flatlined and Sony is getting ready to roll out the 'PS3 Slim.'

My personal ideal situation for buying a PS3: In time for Final Fantasy XIII's US release in mid-2010, Sony has released the PS3 Slim which comes with a 320GB hard drive, is BC enabled, and retails for $200. Maybe there will even be a FF13 pack-in bundle. Make it happen Sony!

Companies never go backwards on cost savings. The GS isn't coming back.

The current rumor is that Sony already has software-based BC ready to go. Variations on this rumor state that either they are waiting for the PS2 to die before releasing it, so as to not cannibalize sales, or that they are going to use it to sell downloadable PS2 games on PSN, or both.

#54 donburns99   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   369 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

donburns99

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

Have watched the stock go from about 48 down to 3 within the last hour.
It's painful to pass up, but just out of my price range for now.

Edit: It's back up to 49 56 now. Where is Amazon getting them from I wonder.

#55 fidgeteer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   86 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

fidgeteer

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

Is it now possible to downgrade firmware

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/category/3
http://forums.maxcon...ead.php?t=87996

However, I just learned something unfortunate: the Motorstorm/MGS 80GB requires at least 2.51 FW. This means I'd have to find a used PS3 6OGB (long gone on gamefunk) to pursue the project I thought would be so easy to implement. I really wanted to avoid spending $1000 on the Miroslav Vitous sample library.

-- and if you want to do ANYTHING with it online, you'll be immediately required to go to the latest version.

http://www.ps3-hacks...firmware-check/

Given that 2.0 is a year old now and they've never addressed why that functionality appeared and mysteriously disappeared a week later, I have a feeling it's never to return.

No one expects it to return. That version was for devs.

That said, SACDs are absolutely amazing and a really underrated aspect of the original PS3. I have a small collection of SACDs and really enjoy listening to them.

Does your collection include any of the Analogue Productions masters of Bill Evans? If not, I recommend them; I also recommend the DGG SACD of Boulez conducting Mahler's 9th. I tend to hate rock because I've had to play it in studios too often, but if you have other suggestions, I'm open to them.

Two things one immediately notices about SACD: A richer but non-fatiguing high end -- the sizzle of open highs without the harshness of that 1.5k notch (the frequency emitted by old TVs) used to fake quality on certain CDs, which means that strings and cymbals sound more natural -- and what audiophile crits sometimes call the "black screen": a completely black background behind the recording. Listening to orchestral music on a well-mastered SACD is like watching bioluminescent fish swim in a wide aquarium in the dark.

Another feature of many SACD players is the ability to upsample 44.1 CDs to 192. (My Philips does this; so does the PS3.) People who like to upscale PS2 games on a PS3 should definitely try it. People who think the effect looks fake should probably avoid the audio equivalent and stick with oversampling. This is not to say the two techniques are the same. It is to say they involve a similar aesthetic decision which a number of purists find objectionable.

Personally, I listen both ways depending on the recording.

Edited by fidgeteer, 05 December 2008 - 06:50 PM.

"And who are you, the king of town?
Stop being a swearing douche."

-- Skandis

#56 fidgeteer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   86 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

fidgeteer

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

The current rumor is that Sony already has software-based BC ready to go. Variations on this rumor state that either they are waiting for the PS2 to die before releasing it, so as to not cannibalize sales, or that they are going to use it to sell downloadable PS2 games on PSN, or both.

Let's hope they learned from the minidisc and give (I hate this neologism) "prosumers" what they demand before it's too late, by which time specialized outrage has penetrated mass culture and led to total indifference. This is not the best economic climate for another standoff ploy.

It's interesting how the strategies of major companies (Sony, Apple) suggest a war with consumers: they win if you're forced or fooled into buying the right product for too much money or the wrong product instead.

I love the idea of a BC PS3 with newer, cooler and quieter hardware. I'd take a hit personally, since I paid $499 for the BC 80GB, but in the cold Trailways bus depot of life, my little detour wouldn't matter: the PS3's rep would improve dramatically.

Edited by fidgeteer, 05 December 2008 - 07:02 PM.

"And who are you, the king of town?
Stop being a swearing douche."

-- Skandis

#57 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11091 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

Companies never go backwards on cost savings. The GS isn't coming back.

The Slim PS2 had a broadband modem integrated into its design, when that had previously been an accessory sold separately from the console, no? I'm thinking along those lines.

Ryuukishi634.png

#58 chosen1s   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1810 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

All PS3s use S/W BC for PS1 games.

For PS2 games, it's more complicated:
60GB, 20GB PS3s = full H/W BC (Emotion engine + graphics synthesizer)
80GB Motorstorm, MGS4 bundles = partial H/W BC (graphics synthesizer) + emulated Emotion engine
All others = no PS2 BC

So your 80GB system will not run PS2 games, unless it's a Motorstorm or MGS4 bundle.

See:

That makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for clarifying. Looks like I'm holding on to my ps2 for a while. This is good info though. My parents have been thinking about the ps3 as a blu-ray option with the idea that when people visit they can also have a game system to play. This might be the way to go. The one I got was around $200 after the MS cashback deal...
Fear breeds Hesitation;
Hesitation will make your worst fears come true.

#59 Jesse_Dylan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3662 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Jesse_Dylan

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

I'm still expecting them to unveil full, downloadable software backward compatibility for (most) PS2 games once PS2 system sales begin to flag.

I think they're nuts for not having some kind of backward compatibility in all the units. It's a huge selling point.

#60 silent h3ro   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1333 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

silent h3ro

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

Yeah I also won't be surprised if we see software emulation to be released in new PS3 consoles later on. The PS2 is an old console and it should not be difficult at all to emulate on the PS3.