Amazon: Metal Gear Solid 4 Playstation 3 BC 80gb - Now in stock

Wow. Did Amazon just discover a hidden crate of MGS4 PS3 in a warehouse or did Sony just made another batch?

I doubt Sony made another batch, as the non-bc 80GBs have been out for some time and the 160GB non-bcs just started a few weeks ago.

So people would pay $100 more for the software-based backwards compatibility and MGS4? You can get the standard 80GB for $399.99.

[quote name='metasparks']So people would pay $100 more for the software-based backwards compatibility and MGS4? You can get the standard 80GB for $399.99.[/QUOTE]

There are other differences, although they likely aren't a big deal to most people. The MGS4 model has 2 more USB ports, memory card slots, and the ability to play SA-CDs.

[quote name='metasparks']So people would pay $100 more for the software-based backwards compatibility and MGS4? You can get the standard 80GB for $399.99.[/quote]

You also get a $50 game, and it's not just software, there's a PS2 chip in there, they just removed one chip and made that run as software. So there is still one physical PS2 chip in those 80gb BC models. It also has card readers, which I actually use. I have a ton of PS2 games, so to me it'd be worth it if I didn't have a 60gig.

man im so broke right now..

glad this is stopping me from buying it, lol
icon_smile.gif

[quote name='ma']There are other differences, although they likely aren't a big deal to most people. The MGS4 model has 2 more USB ports, memory card slots, and the ability to play SA-CDs.[/quote]

what are SA-CDs?

Paying an extra $100 for the BC PS3 still beats paying $130 for a PS2. Does anyone know if this PS3 will be able to play Persona 4?

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Paying an extra $100 for the BC PS3 still beats paying $130 for a PS2. Does anyone know if this PS3 will be able to play Persona 4?[/quote]

I'm guessing it should, since P4 isn't going to be a very technically complex game, so I doubt there'll be any compatibility issues. P3 did run ok afterall.

But no way to say for sure until it's actually out.

I think buying a PS3 and PS2 separately would give the best compatibility. Its not too hard to get both at this price.

[quote name='francostein']what are SA-CDs?[/quote]

He means SACDs -- Super Audio CDs -- which are 24-bit 192k and can sound amazing if your speakers and amp are up to the task of showing why.

Here's a little-reported fact about the BC PS3: It's the only SACD player capable of sending HD multichannel audio to digital outs. Every other SACD player I've ever owned or read about disables or omits digital outs to avoid D-to-D HD piracy. However, if you downgrade your firmware, the PS3 will do the otherwise impossible -- useful if you're a musician who wants to sample 24-bit orchestral pieces (like me!).

To find a copy of digital-out-enabling FW, and lots of other information on the making the most of the PS3's SACD functions, visit this useful site: http://www.ps3sacd.com/

And for people who don't want a PS3 but are interested in SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray and HDVD, as well as the usual codecs (divx, etc.), have a look at Denon's new DVD-A1UD!

(Edit: The wiki link directly above this response was posted while I was writing mine -- I didn't see it before.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='metasparks']So people would pay $100 more for the software-based backwards compatibility and MGS4? You can get the standard 80GB for $399.99.[/quote]

Backwards compatibility is probably the only reason I didn't buy a PS3 yet. I had my hands on the MGS bundle this summer but then the clerk at Gamestop said "We have Wiis in stock..." That bastard! He knew I wouldn't resist! Too bad I spent so much money this past weekend because I actually had the moolah to pick one up.

Information about FW 2.00, which allows for multichannel SACD via digital output:

2.00: November 8, 2007

Disc changes

• You can now play SACD via digital optical audio output. The DSD, DTS or stereo PCM stream, depending on settings, is converted to multichannel.
Link to download FW 2.00 (and every other earlier FW version):

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/category/3

The MGS4 PS3 BC has the Emotion Engine (CPU) removed and emulated in software. The Graphics Synthesizer (GPU) still remains in hardware since the PS3 native hardware reportedly cannot handle the crazy fill rate of the GS chip.

Also, the current non-BC 40/80/160GB runs cooler and quieter than the MGS4 PS3 BC because of the 65nm CELL processor instead of the 90nm in the BC model. The Kojima MGS4 LE 40GB is identical to the non-BC 40GB (cooler 65nm CELL) with a gunmetal casing.

just wandering, does the wireless controller included strong enough to pass through wall? because I have a media center hidden in a small closet behind my TV, and I would have to connect my PS3 in there because of the Receiver location.

also, can you burn/make your own SACD or would you have to buy the CD and is not burnable? and also is SACD a special disk different from the other CDs?

thank you so much for this post OP. i have a gunmetal edition at home still in the box. it was bought as an investment, but when the priced started dropping, i thought i'd have to settle for it and actually use it as a non BC PS3. Now? i can keep it in the box for a while longer and hope it does increase in value as time passes. again, thanks.

[quote name='eau']
Also, the current non-BC 40/80/160GB runs cooler and quieter than the MGS4 PS3 BC because of the 65nm CELL processor instead of the 90nm in the BC model. The Kojima MGS4 LE 40GB is identical to the non-BC 40GB (cooler 65nm CELL) with a gunmetal casing.[/quote]

I've got a 60GB PS3 with full BC and I can't even hear the thing when it's on.

Originally Posted by eau
Also, the current non-BC 40/80/160GB runs cooler and quieter than the MGS4 PS3 BC because of the 65nm CELL processor instead of the 90nm in the BC model. The Kojima MGS4 LE 40GB is identical to the non-BC 40GB (cooler 65nm CELL) with a gunmetal casing.

I have this bundle and can't hear it at all. I haven't noticed any problems with heat either. That's not to say that it doesn't actually run cooler or quieter which I'm sure can be proven via specs.

Oh, god I am sooo tempted. I have been scouring craigslist/ebay for used BC PS3s for the last 3 weeks. I still have a bunch of PS2 games on my backlog, like MGS3, Persona 3 (and soon Persona 4), Zone of the Enders 1 & 2, and Odin Sphere.

I really wonder how long this is going to be in stock, since people aren't as into gmaing as many will simply pick up the 160gb uncharted pack for that price.

so...torn... What has everyones luck been with the Software emulation? Is is good enough that I shouldn't even worry about getting a used 60 gb?

[quote name='eau']Also, the current non-BC 40/80/160GB runs cooler and quieter than the MGS4 PS3 BC because of the 65nm CELL processor instead of the 90nm in the BC model.[/quote]

I thought the 80GB MGS4 bundle has the 65nm cpu/gpus in them...

All the non-BC and BC models are pretty quiet. It's just that the fan on the 65nm CELL models would kick in far less frequently than the 90nm CELL models.

On the other hand, Micro$oft does know how to make their XBox 360 presence HEARD (jet engine screaming) :lol:

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I've got a 60GB PS3 with full BC and I can't even hear the thing when it's on.[/quote]

I've got the 80GB and the noise doesn't bother me, either. I'm trained as a classical musician, so obvious noise is a definite distraction. However, it's worth noting that certain sensitive people are annoyed by the sound of the MG4- and Motorstorm-bundled 80GB. Those people should probably buy a later iteration.

For me, the real issue is heat: The BC models run noticeably hot. If I could avoid any longevity issue that might arise due to the higher temperature, I would.

[quote name='vacuuum']I thought the 80GB MGS4 bundle has the 65nm cpu/gpus in them...[/quote]
No one knows for sure. However, it's the same bundle as the Motorstorm one. I have heard of reports of people measuring the power consumption of the MGS4 80GB and the non-BC 40GB, and the non-BC 40GB drawing less power.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Oh, god I am sooo tempted. I have been scouring craigslist/ebay for used BC PS3s for the last 3 weeks. I still have a bunch of PS2 games on my backlog, like MGS3, Persona 3 (and soon Persona 4), Zone of the Enders 1 & 2, and Odin Sphere.

I really wonder how long this is going to be in stock, since people aren't as into gmaing as many will simply pick up the 160gb uncharted pack for that price.

so...torn... What has everyones luck been with the Software emulation? Is is good enough that I shouldn't even worry about getting a used 60 gb?[/quote]

It's a combination of software and hardware. And I think I remember reading it's something like a 90% rate of games that are emulated. I don't know for sure though.

I picked up one of these a few months back also on Amazon when they were drifting in and out of stock. I can barely hear mine and the BC works great for the wife's singstar games! Two thumbs up!

Looks like they have 12 left (max I can add to my cart)

Love mine, bought Shadow of the Colossus, Jak III, Katamari Damacy, and God of War II (all for $31) and just got them today :)

I am so tempted to buy this.
Just the $500 price tag is a little to much for me.
Also im afraid of the longevity of it as well, do to buying about 5 PS2's last generation. Do you guys know if Amazon does a extended warranty plan like Best buy does?
Also does this PS3 come with a built in wireless card to connect to the internet?

p.s. only seems like there are 9 left.

[quote name='fidgeteer']He means SACDs -- Super Audio CDs -- which are 24-bit 192k and can sound amazing if your speakers and amp are up to the task of showing why.

Here's a little-reported fact about the BC PS3: It's the only SACD player capable of sending HD multichannel audio to digital outs. Every other SACD player I've ever owned or read about disables or omits digital outs to avoid D-to-D HD piracy. However, if you downgrade your firmware, the PS3 will do the otherwise impossible -- useful if you're a musician who wants to sample 24-bit orchestral pieces (like me!).

To find a copy of digital-out-enabling FW, and lots of other information on the making the most of the PS3's SACD functions, visit this useful site: http://www.ps3sacd.com/

And for people who don't want a PS3 but are interested in SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray and HDVD, as well as the usual codecs (divx, etc.), have a look at Denon's new DVD-A1UD!

(Edit: The wiki link directly above this response was posted while I was writing mine -- I didn't see it before.)
[/QUOTE]

Is it now possible to downgrade firmware? I didn't think you could on the PS3-- and if you want to do ANYTHING with it online, you'll be immediately required to go to the latest version.

Given that 2.0 is a year old now and they've never addressed why that functionality appeared and mysteriously disappeared a week later, I have a feeling it's never to return.

That said, SACDs are absolutely amazing and a really underrated aspect of the original PS3. I have a small collection of SACDs and really enjoy listening to them. They are "special" discs in that you can't easily make one yourself, and you can't burn copies... although some discs are hybrids meaning it has a CD layer which will play on a normal CD player (but only CD-quality sound)... if you have the audio system (and PS3 with the SACD functionality) for it, definitely check it out.

[quote name='TommyTSquared']It's a combination of software and hardware. And I think I remember reading it's something like a 90% rate of games that are emulated. I don't know for sure though.[/quote]

The first 2 games I put in did not work well. Manhunt 1 would not display video and Genji 1 froze about every 5 minutes. At least they were not spectacular games but I did want to play Genji 1 obviously before I started Genji 2. God of War worked perfect though and looked beautiful in comparison to my PS2 running it in progressive scan 480P.

Those are the only 3 games I tried and gave up due to disappointment since the one and only reason I bought this bundle was for BC, there is nothing else enticing on the system over the competition. At least it was only $400 at Walmart when it launched :)

Well, even though it's dead, I was wondering: Does this one have the MGS4 LE copy, or does that come with just the gunmetal one? Also, why are some of the photos with a white PS3?

[quote name='vacuuum']I thought the 80GB MGS4 bundle has the 65nm cpu/gpus in them...[/quote]

The 80GB MGS4 bundle does have the 90nm CPU/GPU. This is confirmed because the manual states the power consumption is ~380W, the same as the original 60GB model.

[quote name='Dranakin']Well, even though it's dead, I was wondering: Does this one have the MGS4 LE copy, or does that come with just the gunmetal one? Also, why are some of the photos with a white PS3?[/quote]

Only the Gunmetal PS3 bundle came with the LE version of MGS4.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I really wonder how long this is going to be in stock, since people aren't as into gmaing as many will simply pick up the 160gb uncharted pack for that price.[/QUOTE]

There is not a single person in the entire world who will buy that horrible, horrible 160GB bundle. Worst sku in the history of console skus.

$500 consoles... ugh.

[quote name='gkrykewy']There is not a single person in the entire world who will buy that horrible, horrible 160GB bundle. Worst sku in the history of console skus.

$500 consoles... ugh.[/quote]
Agreed
biggrin.gif

Seems to be only about 4 left now...
I think im going to pass.
The only reason I would be getting a PS3 would be to play my PS2 collection on it really, but I dont think its that worth it.

Once PS2s stop selling well, Sony will magically discover a way to offer backward compatibility to PS3 owners via a downloads (probably for each game).

Not that I'm not tempted to grab this. That, and MGS 4, are definitely worth an extra $100 to me, but I have a deal worth $250 that only works with the $399 80gb model, as far as I can tell.

I guess I could try the codes and see if they work, though... Worth a shot!

Shaq Fu... I had a Playstation Underground code good for $100 off when I buy a certain game and two certain Blu-Rays. In addition, you get another $150 off with the Sony credit card. Anyway, I made an order and used the $100, then never finished putting the order through. Now, when I try to do it, either with this PS3 or with the regular 80gb PS3, it says my coupon has already been used. I hope I didn't just shaq fu it up, but it looks like I did.

Also looks like it would have applied to this PS3 as well, and once these PS3s are gone, I'll be SoL.

I bet the $150 would work, though, even though I screwed up basically getting a free game and two free Blu-rays. Damn it. That's so not fair.

So do I e-mail Amazon about the non-working codes, and risk this going out of stock, or do I bite the bullet and buy this and hope to heck the $150 off with the credit card works?

:( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This just had to come out after a bought a PS3 from ebay with 30% CB. Oh well, I'd rather not sign up for a credit card just to get a good deal on this. I think I'll be happy with the newer PS3s. I still have my big fat PS2 if I ever feel like playing a PS2 game.

bread's done
Back