XBLA - 3 on 3 NHL Arcade - Feb. 11 - 800 pts

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/05/eas-3-on-3-nhl-arcade-skates-on-to-xbla-psn-in-february/

In a move that might -- might -- get us excited to play a hockey game again, EA has announced 3 on 3 NHL Arcade, a super-deformed "hockey-lite" coming to XBLA and PSN in February for $10. EA describes it as a "no rules, fast paced" take on the sport (though we're assuming there are some rules, as tempting as "Calvinhockey" sounds) that's being developed by EA Canada, the house behind NHL 09.

So, is your interest piqued? Is it at least pucqued? We know we haven't been this excited about hockey since the mid-90s when Fox found those magical glowing pucks at the top of a beanstalk.

Heh, I was just making a post about this 10 minutes ago before getting distracted. Good thing I opened another tab and saw this one before completing it.

The game sounds really fun. I'm not crazy about the big heads, though.

I love how the press release talks as though NHL 08 and 09 just weren't any good. Video game hockey is alive and well people. No need for this!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I love how the press release talks as though NHL 08 and 09 just weren't any good. Video game hockey is alive and well people. No need for this![/QUOTE]

That isn't a press release, just a post from joystiq.

also, NHL2K series FTW

I'd rather play NBA Jam or NBA Hangtime with updated rosters, just because I think hockey is probably the most boring sport on earth (no offense to those who love it).

I know there's licensing problems that would have to be taken into account, but still ...

I don't really care about hockey but I love playing NHL Hitz.

Have you played the old school NBA Jams lately? Hella boring.

[quote name='DT778']I don't really care about hockey but I love playing NHL Hitz.

Have you played the old school NBA Jams lately? Hella boring.[/quote]

I disagree — we had the N64 hooked up during college and we always had a game of NBA Hangtime going. It still holds up in terms of gameplay.

Now NBA Jam for the SNES and arcade may be a little too outdated, I agree.

EDIT: It should be noted that "in college" was only two years ago ... I'm not that old.

Incase anyone is wondering about teams and players:

"Exaggerated player-looks take center stage with 40 of the top NHL stars, representing every team, skating around the miniature rink. With game-changing power-ups falling on the ice throughout each session, serious is not the name of this game. Fly down the ice with a super-speed skater, and beat a giant sprawling goalie with a trick move for that highlight reel finish."
http://www.easports.com/nhl09/arcade.jsp

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']They need to release an online version of NFL blitz on the arcade, that would own.[/quote]

:applause:

I couldn't agree more.

I played the demo on PSN tonight. It's kind of fun, actually (but that no face-off thing is weird). I don't think I'll buy it, but for a demo it wasn't bad at all. I like the foot-high goalie power-up -- that's hilarious to watch. And it doesn't look bad at all when you're playing it, big characters, low rez..

Eh. I just recently bought Hitz Pro for $3 - Not only is it cheaper but from the looks of it superior to this arcade version. Pass.

Blitz Arcade would be awesome.

fuck this fucking fuck fuck game online.

- There is zero matchmaking. Why do I always get matched with someone who clearly obsesses over hockey games and beats me 10-0 by the end of the first period? I'm like 1-14.
- The gameplay boils down to who gets the most checks, since checks = power-ups. That's pretty much it. You shouldn't get power-ups for checking AI players that don't have the puck.
- Cheese cheese cheese. I should have learned my lesson about online sports games a long time ago, it's always about finding some cheesy move and doing it over and over. Case in point: skating straight at side of goal and deeking other direction at last possible second when you're practically clipping into the goalie. Works. Every. Time.
- Why is everyone else beefed up but the goalie is a total pussy? He'll let the other team get right up in his business, won't consistently fall on the puck and let it sit two inches away from his stick while the other team comes up and checks him and the puck into the goal. The cheese move mentioned above wouldn't be possible if the goalie actually engaged people that get right in his face.
- Why are the power-ups so inconsistent? I swear I never get the mini goalie power-up, maybe once a game, while the other guy will get it 5+ times and score on it every single time.
- Why can't I pick up the power-ups the other guy gets and why is there no visual distinction between his power-ups and mine when they're floating on the ice?

Sigh. Maybe I just really, really suck at hockey games, or people who are playing this are really, really good, but this is some of the most frustrating gaming I've had this generation. Either way I'm pissed that I wasted $10 on this.

This is EA we're talking about dOOd. All they did was take 09 make big heads, strip the rules and walla!

Both my friend and I played the demo and thought it sucked. I bet his arse, it was funny. He was more irritated than me.

Usually, he wins...

EA releases a game that is full of potential but ultimately fails to deliver? Not too surprising.

I guess it's not that it's a bad game, but VipFreak is right... it's way too simmy for my taste. You can tell it's just NHL09 w/o rules, a smaller rink, and power-ups. Some people might like that but I bought this thinking I wouldn't need to know how to properly play hockey to be good at it. It has all of the control and player momentum complexity of NHL09 but it's trying to present itself as something goofy and easy to play.

One of the reasons I bought it was to play with roommates who aren't hardcore gamers--we play the old NHL games on SNES every once and awhile--but it's too complicated for them.

I dunno...I've played it a bit, and I have to say that it's pretty fun. It's not as "polished" in the arcade-style gameplay as NHL Hitz was, but it's kinda ridiculous. The Mini-goalie powerup is so ridiculous that it's hilarious. Especially when he makes circus-saves as this little goalie...

It was a lot of fun with my friend. I haven't played a random matchmaking game yet though.

Some of the above posters are right though - there are certain games that, if remade, would own on XBL or PSN. NBA Jam TE, Blitz, Return fire, etc.

I don't know, with the rules being stripped, it seems like it is a lot easier to stop the cheese goals. With the stick control, you can check, poke-check, slash, and dive to prevent those goals. My only real complaint is that the Big Goalie has an amazingly weak 5-hole. But again, easily solved by diving in front of the goalie if the other player knows.

I don't mind other players checking my player waiting for the puck after I score. I change my player when I see they are charging, and I just check them after they check my first guy. Plus, I can grab the powerup from the initial check, and when my guy gets up, he grabs the second powerup himself.

bread's done
Back