PC Problems

wingeddragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
254 (100%)
Well here is my problem. For some reason my computer will just restart, don't know why. It doesnt matter what im doing, playing a game, surfing the web, checking email it will just restart. Sometimes the computer will run fine for awhile, mabye up to a half an hour and other times it wont run for more than a few seconds before it just restarts itself. Ive run adware and spyware detectors when i can and i cant get norton to even run a full system scan, it comes up with error code 3019,1 or something to that effect. I dont believe it is a heating problem because it will do it when i first start up the comp after it has been off for over a half a day. My computer will also keep shutting down the net giving me the all to common error "windows has encountered an problem and needs to close" when i am actually able to get on the net that is. My specs are as follows, please help if you can

DFI LANPARTY UT NF3 250Gb nForce3 250Gb Athlon 64 Skt754 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, Serial ATA

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Processor Socket 754

512 megs of pc3200 ddr, corsair

550 watt power supply, oldest part in my computer about 3 years old

dvd-/+ rw pacific digital

geforce 4 4680 ti turbo agp 8x

sata 80 gig 7200 rpm hd, seagate

windows xp pro fully updated

i am posting this from work, as i can actually get on the net here

thanks all

:?

That can be a number of things

Firstly, you could have a faulty power supply.
You could have an insuficient power suplly.
You could have bad ram.
Your processor could be over heating. If you over clock, have poor venting or lack fans, heat could be your problem... or maybe you keep kicking the power cord =P

when all else fails reformat. i partition my drives so that windows is its own little 10 gig drive. tthen if i have to reformat the only thing i lose are programs. needless to say it may be a power supply issue since it is fairly old. have you checked your thermal readings in bios? if not i would say to do so
just a thought

Per what Kayden says, there's a few easy ways to troubleshoot.

1. Boot up without your cover on. This will allow everything to be fairly cool.
2. If you have 2 (or more) sticks of RAM, try removing one before booting up. If it doesn't work, replace that one and remove the other.

I had this problem before. It was a big time virus that had been infecting my computern. If you have The antivirus program installed, restart in Safe mode. you can do this by hitting F8 repeatedly after turning the power on. Once in safe mode go into the administrator account. run the antivirus software in safe mode. Using safe mode only runs critical programs so the virus laden program will not likely run, and the virus can be wiped out if thats the problem.
I hope this works for you!

Well im pretty sure its not overheating, i have a program installed that tells me what the temp is on just about everything and i have plenty of fans. I reformatted and im still getting the same problems. I dont think its my ram i think it may be my power supply since it is about 3 years old, and an off brand at that. Any other suggestions? If not i think im going to just replace my power supply and hope its that.

[quote name='roland13x']Per what Kayden says, there's a few easy ways to troubleshoot.

1. Boot up without your cover on. This will allow everything to be fairly cool.
2. If you have 2 (or more) sticks of RAM, try removing one before booting up. If it doesn't work, replace that one and remove the other.[/quote]

^^^ this is how i found out i had bad ram when my computer would restart on it's own.

Update:

Well i replaced the power supply and that wasnt the problem. Its not overheating, everything inside is staying very cool. No virus found. I reformatted and its still doing the same thing. I tried pulling one stick of my ram and the computer ran fine. I replaced the ram that was still in the comp with the other stick and the computer still ran great. I tried both sticks in every memory slot by themselves and it ran fine every time, but once i tried them together in any combination of memory slots the computer will randomly shut itself down. i really dont know what is going on.

:evil:

Others have mentioned your RAM might be bad, and I agree based on your symptoms. Have you tried testing your RAM with Memtest86+? You can download an ISO from the site below, burn it to a CD, then boot off it and run the tests.

http://www.memtest.org/

Ill have to try that. Another thing someone suggested is that my ram is double sided and that could be my problem, but that wouldnt explain why either one of the sticks would run by itself but not together, or would it?

Well, if it's your RAM at least you've got Corsair. They've got really great support. I suggest you post on their message boards and the RAM Guy there can help you out further.

Dude-just do a system restore to an earlier date(before the problems started)...Thats the way ive fixed that problem 2 times now~~

bread's done
Back