The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - Gen. Disscussion and Info.

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
logo001ct4.gif

Overview

Title - The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Developers - Starbreeze Studios, Tigon Studios, Universal Studios
Publisher - Atari
Genres - first-person shooter, action, stealth
Release Dates - US: 7 Apr. '09, CA: ?, UK: ?, DE: ?, AU: ?, JP: ?
Ratings - ESRB: Mature, PEGI: 18+
Synopsis - TCoR:AoDA contains a remake of TCoR: Escape from Butcher Bay as well as a new campaign (Assault on Dark Athena) that’s just as long as the critically acclaimed EfBB (84 to 90 rating on Metacritic). You’re Riddick (Vin Diesel, voice and likeness). AoDA starts where EfBB left off, without spoiling anything, just know that EfBB was set before the events of the movies and that the Dark Athena is a pirate ship.

Singleplayer

Players - 1
Play-Through Length Testimonials - ? hours
Gameplay - They don’t want to change much from the original formula that people loved, so the Eye Shine will make a return, letting him see in the dark, using stealth (screen will tint blue), allowing players to use a variety of close quarter combat in first-person. Of course firearms still remain a healthy choice.

Multiplayer

Players - 1 to 12
Splitscreen - ?
Maps - ?
Gamemodes - Pitch Black (1 is Riddick v. 6 Mercenaries in darkness), "Other gamemodes people expect in an FPS."
Gameplay - ?

News Bulletin - Articles, Videos, Images

19 May ’07 - Video: Announcement, Interview, Sp. Gameplay
Game Head visits Sierra Entertainment where they announce TCoR:AoDA and their ambitions for Riddick’s 7th gen. appearance on PC, X360, and PS3.

25 May ’07 - Video: Trailer, Sp. Flythrough, Sp. Gameplay

28 Jul. ’08 - Article: Update
Activision cuts TCoR:AoDA loose (along with other in-development titles) during the Vivendi Games merger. TCoR:AoDA needs to find a new publisher, but it’s not canceled.

24 Sep ’08 - Article: Update
On Starbreeze Studio’s official forums, admin said, “Dark Athena is just about done.” And that, “the big boys are deciding who is going to publish it.”
Source.

30 Oct. ’08 - Article: Update
Atari has picked up TCoR:AoDA.

30 Oct. ’08 - Image: In-Game Asset

2 Dec. ’08 - Image: In-Game Asset, Sp. Gameplay
, ,

2 Dec. ’08 - Article: Preview
Get familiar with the Riddick lore as GameSpot was invited to Atari’s press event. They confirm AI upgrade (team tactics), control hall-monitoring cyborgs, remastered audio, and user-interface improvements (radial weapon-selection menu).
Source.

Recap Giant Bomb’s most anticipated game from the Atari’s press event.
Source.

Vin Diesel rocks IGN’s world during Atari’s press event.
Source.

3 Dec. ’08 - Video: Trailer, Cutscenes, Sp. Gameplay

4 Dec. ’08 - Video: Interview, Sp. Gameplay
GameSpot talks to Ian S. (Head of Productions, Tigon Studios) during Atari’s press event about what players can expect.

5 Dec. ’08 - Video: Interview, Sp. Gameplay
GameTrailers talks to Ian S. (Head of Productions, Tigon Studios) during Atari’s press event about what players can expect.

22 Dec. '08 - Image: Sp. Gameplay
, , ,

10 Jan. '09 - Article: News
US gets a release date for 7 Apr. '09 and the cap count for multiplayer is 12 players.
Source.

14 Jan. '09 - Video: Trailer, Cutscene, Sp. Gameplay
Desperation
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44635.html

21 Jan. '09 - Video: Sp. Gameplay, Interview, Cutscene
http://g4tv.com/xplay/previews/36236/Hands-On-Preview-The-Chronicles-of-Riddick-AODA.html

21 Jan. '09 - Video: Cutscene
The opening cutscene to TCoR:AoDA.
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/page2.html#692580

9 Feb. '09 - Article: Announcement
The game will get a demo in early March, no indication of what parts of the game will be in it.
http://xbox360.thegamereviews.com/story-2934-Assault-on-Dark-Athena-Release-and-Demo-Dates.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh noes!!! I noticed in one of the GameTrailers/GameSpot interviews that the player was "zooming" in like it did in The Darkness (and I presume TCoR:EfBB - never played it), they need to use iron sights in this generation! That was probably my biggest grief with The Darkness.

Yeah, hope the Darkness can hold me over until this new Riddick comes out. I enjoyed the hand to hand for a while in Condemned, but the game just wasn't as slick as butcher bay.

Sat in the dark playing Riddick on my old Xbox...man what a great game. It's such a damn amazing moment when you grab that guy's shotty and make him shoot his own head off.

Hopefully it doesn't really go into that Chronicles of Riddick storyline crap, that movie was awful. IMO I view Pitch Black as a small masterpiece of the sci-fi/thriller genre. But Chronicles? Puh-lease.

The only really weird thing about Escape from Butcher Bay that I had problems with was the moths...there was a optional quest where you collect moths (That could be processed into some homemade drug?) and so here I am hopping around trying to catch moths in the prison exercise yard and I had to stop and say tomyself "Jesus, Riddick, you're above this."

I promptly stabbed someone with a shiv.

I'm REALLY thinking that this will be the ONE game I pick up in the first half of this year (yeah, over Killzone). Riddick on the XBox was the shit, too bad I got into it right before getting my 360 and it fell to the wayside (along with KOTOR).

This should be on everyone's radar that likes any type of FP game.

I cannot wait for this game. I sat in the dark and played the original Riddick like crazy. Great anti-hero, great gameplay mechanics, great world and cast of prisoners. Can't wait to see what the new Dark Athena section has to add.

Hopefully it won't dig into the "Chronicles of Riddick" destiny bullcrap. Pitch Black was good because it was pure sci-fi/thriller. It didn't try and be a 6th grader's Macbeth.

I guess no one cares about this game.

Anyways, I briefly played the demo and it seems not much different than from the good ol' Xbox original version.

I liked the addition of the drone baddies that have guns wired to their bodies. It is a neat gameplay addition that limits Riddick's use of guns. Instead of meleeing a guy I knew was down a hallway I dragged a drone body past a door and lured the baddie after me and then I picked up the drone's arm and shot the sucka. It left me feeling slightly creative.

However, the game is really dark (which on the most part works for it) but I was getting shot from enemies on upperledges, obscured by railings, their armor is gunmetal grey, and the walls are gunmetal gray, and there is minimal lighting.

So at the moment it seems Riddick, a: melee/stealth FPS, with limited gunplay, is going to be given more guns, a "possession" puzzle element with the drones. The graphics might be upgraded a bit but they're still just stale.

I played The Darkness for about 20 minutes and put it away and traded it because I knew I wouldn't like it. I'm not sure that this Riddick will be the second-coming, but I hope it's more than this demo.

I care. I liked the demo quite a bit for what it was. I know my friends are looking forward to this as well.

I am really hoping this turns out to be great. So far I am still optimistic. I have yet to get a FPS for PS3, and this will probably be my first (and probably last for some time).

I didn't realize that this had a whole new full length campaign! Now this is a must buy for me. I was already considering buying it for nostalgia sake, as this was the best game made for xbox180 IMHO.
~S

[quote name='Saint Noir']Sorry for double post. Just found these. Maybe I'm NOT getting the game. [/quote]

Well make sure you read their arguments before you decide not to. Thanks for the posts of those early reviews, I'll check em out later.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Well make sure you read their arguments before you decide not to. Thanks for the posts of those early reviews, I'll check em out later.[/QUOTE]

I definitely read them. And I definitely will be picking up this game at some point. I just don't think it is a day 1, $60 purchase for me at this point.

Yeah, the latest gameplay videos have not pushed me to download the demo - loved The Darkness ride, but I hate how they haven't adopted iron sights in TCoR:AoDA still.

The game seems like a real quick production to try and cash in. I was not really into the movies so I will be skipping this game. But I will try the demo first, glad to see they made Multiplayer for it though instead of a pure single player game.

[quote name='Breakpoint']The game seems like a real quick production to try and cash in. I was not really into the movies so I will be skipping this game. But I will try the demo first, glad to see they made Multiplayer for it though instead of a pure single player game.[/quote]

try and cash in?? Quick production?? Game took roughly 2 years to come out for 360, and the original xbox game wasn`t rushed either. To this day, Riddick: Escape for butcher bay is the BEST movie-based game to ever come out, what makes it more impressive is that it was thankfully not related to either the crappy "Pitch Black" movie or the "Chronicles of Riddick" movie, it just used the universe and the character, the entire plot showed the backstory and is still my favorite Xbox 1 game of all time. Still the highest rated movie-game also.
I wonder if they didnt bother including "Dark Athena" and just had the original Escape from butcher bay if it would get better ratings (they would criticize it for being short obviously)

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I guess no one cares about this game.

Anyways, I briefly played the demo and it seems not much different than from the good ol' Xbox original version.

I liked the addition of the drone baddies that have guns wired to their bodies. It is a neat gameplay addition that limits Riddick's use of guns. Instead of meleeing a guy I knew was down a hallway I dragged a drone body past a door and lured the baddie after me and then I picked up the drone's arm and shot the sucka. It left me feeling slightly creative.

However, the game is really dark (which on the most part works for it) but I was getting shot from enemies on upperledges, obscured by railings, their armor is gunmetal grey, and the walls are gunmetal gray, and there is minimal lighting.

So at the moment it seems Riddick, a: melee/stealth FPS, with limited gunplay, is going to be given more guns, a "possession" puzzle element with the drones. The graphics might be upgraded a bit but they're still just stale.

I played The Darkness for about 20 minutes and put it away and traded it because I knew I wouldn't like it. I'm not sure that this Riddick will be the second-coming, but I hope it's more than this demo.[/quote]
If you would have given The Darkness another 10-15 minutes, at the least you would have liked it. I just started playing The Darkness about 2 days ago, and I am hooked. This is by far, one of the best games out there. This game is a prime example of why you should not come into a game with any expectations. Just let it unfold, and watch how great or how horrible it is. In the case of The Darkness, if you would have given it a little more time you would have not made those comments. I picked this up last week at Kmart for $6. I have a humongous backlog, lots of new titles, but this one is demanding my game time right now. The story is incredible, the character models look amazing, and the gameplay is awesome. The best $6 I've ever spent on gaming so far.

[quote name='thenadz']try and cash in?? Quick production?? Game took roughly 2 years to come out for 360, and the original xbox game wasn`t rushed either. To this day, Riddick: Escape for butcher bay is the BEST movie-based game to ever come out, what makes it more impressive is that it was thankfully not related to either the crappy "Pitch Black" movie or the "Chronicles of Riddick" movie, it just used the universe and the character, the entire plot showed the backstory and is still my favorite Xbox 1 game of all time. Still the highest rated movie-game also.
I wonder if they didnt bother including "Dark Athena" and just had the original Escape from butcher bay if it would get better ratings (they would criticize it for being short obviously)[/QUOTE]
I agree with you about it being an awesome game. The original one on the Xbox is amazing. But it is not based on the movie, so you can't really call it the "Best Movie-based" game. Nonetheless, I bought it yesterday, so I will play it soon.(hopefully) But watch out for the next movie-based game coming next month, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Looks unbelievable!

[quote name='Breakpoint']The game seems like a real quick production to try and cash in. I was not really into the movies so I will be skipping this game. But I will try the demo first, glad to see they made Multiplayer for it though instead of a pure single player game.[/QUOTE]
Quick production? Cash in? They have put alot of time into this game. And the original Riddick that is on the game was completely redone. It's not even just a graphical overhaul.

[quote name='thenadz']try and cash in?? Quick production?? Game took roughly 2 years to come out for 360, and the original xbox game wasn`t rushed either. To this day, Riddick: Escape for butcher bay is the BEST movie-based game to ever come out, what makes it more impressive is that it was thankfully not related to either the crappy "Pitch Black" movie or the "Chronicles of Riddick" movie, it just used the universe and the character, the entire plot showed the backstory and is still my favorite Xbox 1 game of all time. Still the highest rated movie-game also.
I wonder if they didnt bother including "Dark Athena" and just had the original Escape from butcher bay if it would get better ratings (they would criticize it for being short obviously)[/QUOTE]

I agree with this all except the part about Pitch Black. I thought that was a great little genre film and thought Butcher Bay complimented it perfectly. Was very disappointed in Chronicles the movie.

In Bruges rocks btw.

Pitch Black is not crap! It's the Event Horizon of cheesy sci fi thriller awesomeness.

Chronicles though on the other hand, that was terrible.

[quote name='ricoraney']If you would have given The Darkness another 10-15 minutes....[/quote] No, no...no. I know it's not for me. I got the Darkness powers and realized I would be shooting out light bulbs tediously for an entire game to use powers that I didn't even like. I knew I wasn't enjoying the game from the very first in-game cutscene, the car ride. Terrible graphics and voice acting. The cops pull up next to you while you're riding in a convertible and uh, you don't get shot?

How have they "redone" Butcher's Bay? Different quests? New enemy placement? Does it have any of the PC version's director's cut style stuff?

Pitch Black was a sci-fi/thriller genre masterwork. Superb cinematography. There is so much I can say about this flick. Don't know why David Twohy thought Chronicles of Riddick was the next step...

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Meh I think i'm playing this game wrong or something; I keep dieing over and over and over again :(. Anyone have any tips for the game?[/quote]

DONT GET SHOT XD

use stealth, guns blazing comes later, for now, play it like an MGS game, stay in the shadows then sneak up for the kill.

bread's done
Back