Buy 10 Blu-Rays gets a Free Blu-Ray player this Sunday

MarkHawk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm putting this out there as a rumor till I get some other confirmation but my friend who works over at a Minnesota Best Buy was informed of a promotion they'll be having this Sunday. Apparently if you buy 10 Blu-Rays off a list of eligible Blu-Rays you'll be able to walk away with a free blu-ray player.

Anyone hear anything about this?

(Updates):
12/13

You need to buy an HDMI Cable with it. Cable is an ridicules 80.00 to 130.00 dollars.

Possible short list of 20 Blu-Rays

It's a Insignia brand Blu-ray that retails around 199.99

12/16

Not exclusive to Sunday

Full promotion Details: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/...

Last edited by a moderator:
As an employee at Best Buy, I can confirm that this offer is real, but it still isn't as good as you think. First of all, if I recall reading my company materials correctly, the 10 DVDs are from a very select list (out of about 20, I believe). Second of all, you do have to buy an 80 dollar HDMI cable with it. And third, the free Blu-Ray player is the Best Buy brand Insignia player, which I believe is retailing for 199.99 right now anyways. The player is garbage, so you are essentially going to end up shelling out about 250 for the 10 movies, plus 80 for the cord. Around 350 bucks after tax for this offer isn't worth it.

this post is unnecessicito, sorry OP, check speedy's weekly ad thread and you will see the humor of this deal.

The hdmi cable (yes you have to buy one of these plus the 10 blus) in the ad is advertised at $130 + your 10 blus (say $24 a peice as a average) = $370 to get a cheap ass player included. Joke of the year if you ask me.

I was worried for a second. I did the amazon deal where I got 8 pretty good movies and the Samsung BD 1500 for $168 shipped.

This deal is pretty sad. I feel bad for anyone who buy into this deal.

To be fair, there is a pretty big difference in cables. In no way am I saying get an 80 dollar cable, but I am saying that the 12 dollar cables from Big Lots are garbage. I just got one to hook up my mother's upconverting DVD player to a Panasonic LCD, and I can honestly say that it looked as good as a composite video. It was atrocious. I had it hooked up for five minutes before I said that I was taking it back and finding one online for better quality. If you all can't tell the difference between the two qualities of cable, awesome. However, most people can. Regardless, this deal is terrible as the Insignia DVD player is indeed trash no matter what cable you hook up to it.

Just sounds like a bad cable. The only real difference between a cheap cable and a massively over-priced one, as far as HDMI is concerned, is the quality. The cheaper one might just be rubbish out of the package or feel cheap. But if it works, it will work just as good. I think length might play a factor, but I doubt anyone is running an extremely long cord.

Just keep in mind what the actual costs of the cables are. Monster Cables, which are the prime example of massively overpriced cables, don't actually cost much more to make than cheap ones you get at Monoprice or Amazon. They just sell for me, because uninformed people buy them.

Gdemander you got ripped off. HDMI cables don't affect picture quality. It's digital, you either get a signal with perfect picture, or you get no signal an no picture.

Unless you need a really really long cable, a $12 one is just as good as a $120 one.

[quote name='gdemander']To be fair, there is a pretty big difference in cables. In no way am I saying get an 80 dollar cable, but I am saying that the 12 dollar cables from Big Lots are garbage. I just got one to hook up my mother's upconverting DVD player to a Panasonic LCD, and I can honestly say that it looked as good as a composite video. It was atrocious. I had it hooked up for five minutes before I said that I was taking it back and finding one online for better quality. If you all can't tell the difference between the two qualities of cable, awesome. However, most people can. Regardless, this deal is terrible as the Insignia DVD player is indeed trash no matter what cable you hook up to it.[/quote]

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx

[quote name='gdemander']To be fair, there is a pretty big difference in cables. In no way am I saying get an 80 dollar cable, but I am saying that the 12 dollar cables from Big Lots are garbage. I just got one to hook up my mother's upconverting DVD player to a Panasonic LCD, and I can honestly say that it looked as good as a composite video. It was atrocious. I had it hooked up for five minutes before I said that I was taking it back and finding one online for better quality. If you all can't tell the difference between the two qualities of cable, awesome. However, most people can. Regardless, this deal is terrible as the Insignia DVD player is indeed trash no matter what cable you hook up to it.[/quote]

:^o

[quote name='gdemander']To be fair, there is a pretty big difference in cables. In no way am I saying get an 80 dollar cable, but I am saying that the 12 dollar cables from Big Lots are garbage. I just got one to hook up my mother's upconverting DVD player to a Panasonic LCD, and I can honestly say that it looked as good as a composite video. It was atrocious. I had it hooked up for five minutes before I said that I was taking it back and finding one online for better quality. If you all can't tell the difference between the two qualities of cable, awesome. However, most people can. Regardless, this deal is terrible as the Insignia DVD player is indeed trash no matter what cable you hook up to it.[/QUOTE]

youre an idiot. first of all that upconverting dvd player sucks, so regardless it will look like crap. all hdmi (certified) cables are the same. go to monoprice.com and be smart from now on.

[quote name='RichBecker']As an employee at Best Buy, I can confirm that this offer is real, but it still isn't as good as you think. First of all, if I recall reading my company materials correctly, the 10 DVDs are from a very select list (out of about 20, I believe). Second of all, you do have to buy an 80 dollar HDMI cable with it. And third, the free Blu-Ray player is the Best Buy brand Insignia player, which I believe is retailing for 199.99 right now anyways. The player is garbage, so you are essentially going to end up shelling out about 250 for the 10 movies, plus 80 for the cord. Around 350 bucks after tax for this offer isn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

Deal sucks, but the insignia players are actually quite good.

How is this going to ring up on the receipt.? Any chance that each item is itemized and the overpriced cable returned? (using the receipt) Like when you buy a tv package and could return some of items or cancel the worthless geek squad they bundled with the package.

[quote name='gdemander']To be fair, there is a pretty big difference in cables. In no way am I saying get an 80 dollar cable, but I am saying that the 12 dollar cables from Big Lots are garbage. I just got one to hook up my mother's upconverting DVD player to a Panasonic LCD, and I can honestly say that it looked as good as a composite video. It was atrocious. I had it hooked up for five minutes before I said that I was taking it back and finding one online for better quality. If you all can't tell the difference between the two qualities of cable, awesome. However, most people can. Regardless, this deal is terrible as the Insignia DVD player is indeed trash no matter what cable you hook up to it.[/QUOTE]

thats because the most an up converting player will do is 720, and that is the MAX. so yes, it will look like composite. the other posters are right. its digital, it either works, or it doesnt. its a big marketing ploy that the retail stores tell you to sell them on. working at bb i was told to always up sell and usually when i did people would either say no or every once in awhile go with a 50-80 cable, but if i told a customer all they really needed was the 25-40 cable, then 99% of the time i sold the cable.

upconverting players are atrocious. just dont do it.

[quote name='MarkHawk']I'm putting this out there as a rumor till I get some other confirmation but my friend who works over at a Minnesota Best Buy was informed of a promotion they'll be having this Sunday. Apparently if you buy 10 Blu-Rays off a list of eligible Blu-Rays you'll be able to walk away with a free blu-ray player.

Anyone hear anything about this?

(Updates):
12/13
You need to buy an HDMI Cable with it. Cable is an ridicules 80.00 to 130.00 dollars.

Possible short list of 20 Blu-Rays

It's a Insignia brand Blu-ray that retails around 199.99[/quote]

Wow, what a 'deal':roll::roll::roll:...

If it's anything like any other Best Buy 'deal', I can only imagine:

A. the shitty list of Blu Rays Best Buy will make you select from to get this 'deal'

B. the lack of selection on any remotely good titles on the list, so the 2 or 3 good movies on the list will be non-existent in store

C. the crap, low budget Blu Ray player they give you free...yep, sure enough, it's an Insignia, their own brand

D. the ridiculous standard Best buy markup on the Blu Rays - $30 or 35 on movies that are selling for $20 or less everywhere else. And I'm sure for this deal, NONE of the Blu Rays on that short list of 20 will be under $29.99. Hell, even if the movies were all $20 not including tax, you're looking at $200 just for the movies. Another $80 to $130 (!!!) for the HDMI cable (thank you insane Best Buy accessory markup). You'll be spending well over $350, and with their typical Blu Ray prices, probably closer to (or even over :whistle2:() $400 when all is said and done, just to get some piece of shit Blu Ray player that will no doubt be fried by springtime. Be sure and spend ANOTHER $50 for the Product Replacement Plan for that 'free' Insignia Blu Ray player if you go for this deal. Though I can't imagine how braindead you would have to be to jump on this...probably great for the clueless, unwashed masses...but for 'devil customers' like us...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='karkyco']Wow, what a 'deal':roll::roll::roll:...

If it's anything like any other Best Buy 'deal', I can only imagine:

A. the shitty list of Blu Rays Best Buy will make you select from to get this 'deal'

B. the lack of selection on any remotely good titles on the list, so the 2 or 3 good movies on the list will be non-existent in store

C. the crap, low budget Blu Ray player they give you free...yep, sure enough, it's an Insignia, their own brand

D. the ridiculous standard Best buy markup on the Blu Rays - $30 or 35 on movies that are selling for $20 or less everywhere else. And I'm sure for this deal, NONE of the Blu Rays on that short list of 20 will be under $29.99. Hell, even if the movies were all $20 not including tax, you're looking at $200 just for the movies. Another $80 to $130 (!!!) for the HDMI cable (thank you insane Best Buy accessory markup). You'll be spending well over $350, and with their typical Blu Ray prices, probably closer to (or even over :whistle2:() $400 when all is said and done, just to get some piece of shit Blu Ray player that will no doubt be fried by springtime. Be sure and spend ANOTHER $50 for the Product Replacement Plan for that 'free' Insignia Blu Ray player if you go for this deal. Though I can't imagine how braindead you would have to be to jump on this...probably great for the clueless, unwashed masses...but for 'devil customers' like us...[/quote]

Yeah in the end it isn't worth it but when reports came in for a free Blu-Ray player for the purchase on 10 Blu-Rays it seemed alright. Haven't located the list yet but here is the official sale:

FREE Insignia Blu-Ray player at BB when you buy any select HDMI cable $79.99 and up and any 10 of 50 select Blu-Ray movie titles!

bread's done
Back