Need some help - Split Screen games for kids.

Hydro2Oxide

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
So I recently grabbed a 360 for my other house (Parents are divorced) and my half-brother has been rather interested in playing it with me. I love the kid, but he's only 8, so he's not very good at FPS and difficulty intensive games like Gears 2, GRAW, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 etc. Now, while I'd like to play games with him, I'd also not like to be bored to tears. The Lego games are mildly entertaining, but I can't play them for more than 15 minutes before my ADD kicks in and I need to feel challenged. I should also add he doesn't lose very well (Damn kids these days) so Co-op would be nice, or only mildly competitive things. Like, does Viva Pinata have Co-op?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to E-T games I can play with my little brother, that aren't too challenging, but entertaining to people on both ends of the skill spectrum.

Thanks in advanced.

EDIT: Might also want to add XBLA games would be nice too, I intend on grabbing Castle Crashers soon.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Viva Pinata Party Animals
Double Dragon
TMNT Arcade[/QUOTE]

I heard Party Animals was a sloppy wannabe mario party, but thanks for the list. I'm not too in to classic games for XBLA, especially considering this TMNT wasn't the Genesis version (I almost cried when I found out it was the arcade one)

I figure if I'm going to buy an XBLA beat-em-up, it'd be Castle Crashers and/or BC:R

I would hope that there were other reasons besides"difficulty level" that would dissuade you from wanting to play Gears of War 2 with an 8 year old.

That being said, I cannot think of a better local co-op game on the 360 than Rock Band 1/2. Basketball, soccer, and hockey games are also great fun in co-op play, and year-old versions can be had for under $10.

Maybe not VP: Party Animals but Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is major fun. Ive played with my friend and the time passed by real fast. Don't be deceived by the cutesy kiddy look of VP, it has more substance than you would think. Just think of Sims but more simple and with Pinatas. If it doesn't sound fun to you, then it probably isn't.

You can try Castle Crashers. It's a side-scroller so it can't be that hard for an 8-year old.

Any driving games are good too. Just go easy and he'll have a blast.

[quote name='Irukandji']EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2017

I can't suggest this game enough. Seriously. 15 bucks. Go buy it now and enjoy simple/fun co-op.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Earth Defense Force is some of the best coop you can get for your dollars.
And what child doesn't love blowing up thousands of giant ants?:bouncy:

also, Bionic Commando:Rearmed and Metal Slug 3 both have great co-op.

Monster Madness can be had way cheap too. Ditto for Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (seriously, every kid will love playing as Spiderman and The Hulk) - the local co-op is pretty solid too, and it's certainly not overly challenging - mash buttons and smash bad guys.

The Marvel/Forza two-pack is $10 used at Gamestop. Forza might be a bit much for him, but it's a solid game and a steal for $5.

I wholeheartedly agree with captmurphy: sports, racing, and music games are definitely at the top of the list. You can't go wrong with those, especially now that Rock Band 2 has a no-fail mode for kids/beginners.

How about Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga? It's clearly made for kids but I did have fun going through it with my brother and we're both in our twenties. Having to clear the first three episodes to get to the Original Trilogy games was a bit boring but worth the effort.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a great suggestion by JJSP. It might not be entirely up to your adult standards in terms of production value but it should definitely appeal to your brother.

The Simpsons Game is another one that should appeal to him, though the co-op is only available in the main levels themselves and not the central Springfield hub.

You might also try Fable II if you're okay with sharing a screen and having one person relegated to a generic lackey character. It has some spooky-looking areas and enemies but I don't think there's anything too scary/intense for an 8 year old.

Wow, you guys all have different ideas of what is appropriate for an 8 year old than I do. My 8 year old sure as hell won't be playing games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, EDF, or Fable II.

Goes the show how we have become completely de-sensitized to violence. I know I am going catch some flack for this, but man, the violence in all of those games can really sink deep into the head of an 8 year old. How can you tell a kid not to hit someone in real life and then hand them a controller and tell them to kill the bad guys?

[quote name='captmurphy']Wow, you guys all have different ideas of what is appropriate for an 8 year old than I do. My 8 year old sure as hell won't be playing games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, EDF, or Fable II.

Goes the show how we have become completely de-sensitized to violence. I know I am going catch some flack for this, but man, the violence in all of those games can really sink deep into the head of an 8 year old. How can you tell a kid not to hit someone in real life and then hand them a controller and tell them to kill the bad guys?[/QUOTE]
Find me an 8 year old who doesn't think Spiderman is the coolest thing in the world. Granted, I don't really have kids or anything, but I think comic books in general are pretty harmless.

If the OP is considering Castle Crashers, I'm pretty sure Marvel is fair game.

I agree that most every 8 year old on the planet would love Spiderman, but that doesn't mean they should have exposure to it.

I am obviously in the minority here, but when I have kids, they will not be watching movies like Spiderman when they are 8. There is simply too much violence. I lived in Europe for a year, where violence in movies and television is not tolerated as it is here and it really opened my eyes as to how we as Americans view and accept violence as "normal."

The moment you put the controller in the hands of an 8 year old and boot up Marvel UA, you are sending the message that
A. It is O.K. to beat people up if they are "bad-guys."
B. You "win" by beating everybody up, and loose if you "die."

Kids have a hard enough time separating reality from fantasy to begin with; they don't need you giving them mixed signals.

"Johnny, it is not OK to hit people."

"Good job Johnny! Kill this guy and then you beat the level!"

I have a 9 year old cousin who was exposed to violence in games and movies from a very early age, and he is out of control. He runs around performing "multiplier combos" of Hulk moves on the dog and random passerby's. His parents did not do a good job in helping him understand that the violence he sees in that media is not appropriate for real life.

I'm not some wacko... I play Gears, Halo, Unreal, Half Life, etc. But I am 22 years old, and can understand that what I am seeing on the screen isn't real, and most importantly, isn't acceptable in "real life." An 8 year old simply cannot comprehend this.

My kids will play games like Hexic, World of Goo, NBA/ NFL 2kX, and Project Gotham Racing until they can understand that important distinction.

[quote name='captmurphy']I agree that most every 8 year old on the planet would love Spiderman, but that doesn't mean they should have exposure to it.

I am obviously in the minority here, but when I have kids, they will not be watching movies like Spiderman when they are 8. There is simply too much violence. I lived in Europe for a year, where violence in movies and television is not tolerated as it is here and it really opened my eyes as to how we as Americans view and accept violence as "normal."

The moment you put the controller in the hands of an 8 year old and boot up Marvel UA, you are sending the message that
A. It is O.K. to beat people up if they are "bad-guys."
B. You "win" by beating everybody up, and loose if you "die."

Kids have a hard enough time separating reality from fantasy to begin with; they don't need you giving them mixed signals.

"Johnny, it is not OK to hit people."

"Good job Johnny! Kill this guy and then you beat the level!"

I have a 9 year old cousin who was exposed to violence in games and movies from a very early age, and he is out of control. He runs around performing "multiplier combos" of Hulk moves on the dog and random passerby's. His parents did not do a good job in helping him understand that the violence he sees in that media is not appropriate for real life.

I'm not some wacko... I play Gears, Halo, Unreal, Half Life, etc. But I am 22 years old, and can understand that what I am seeing on the screen isn't real, and most importantly, isn't acceptable in "real life." An 8 year old simply cannot comprehend this.

My kids will play games like Hexic, World of Goo, NBA/ NFL 2kX, and Project Gotham Racing until they can understand that important distinction.[/QUOTE]

I'm 22 years-old as well, and I can clearly remember being a pre-adolescent playing X-men, Spider-man and Hulk games on the Sega Genesis. Games where all you did was bash cartoonish bad guys. Yet neither myself, my brothers nor my friends that participated in this fantasy bashing have ever lost the distinction between games and reality, we've never considered it a message to wreak havoc without penalty.
(incidentally, I think you'd be happy to know that the Spider-man cartoon on Fox was actually forbidden from depicting Spiderman punching anyone and guns that had bullets, so all the cops had space lasers and Spiderman did a lot of kicking.)

I'd say you're not giving 8-year-olds enough credit. So long as the child's been brought up to respect real people there shouldn't be a problem. Sure there are some kooks out there like your cousin, but well-adjusted kids are not going to head out and look for goons/bystanders to pound thinking that life is a video game. If the OP's child in question is kooky too, then by all means starve the violence addiction, but this sort of thing should be a case by case basis.

I do understand your point though, I've lived abroad as well and it does open your eyes to the cult of violence(amusingly juxtaposed to something like a fear of sexuality) we have over here. But I'm not convinced that most kids can't handle superheroes or completely cartoony giant ants that bounce as you shoot them. on GOW or Halo I certainly agree with you though.

That said, I really can't imagine a situation where you don't want someone prepared to do battle with giant ants, UFOs and spiders. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Irukandji']EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2017

I can't suggest this game enough. Seriously. 15 bucks. Go buy it now and enjoy simple/fun co-op.[/quote]

YES, my kid loves this and he been playing it since he was 8.

[quote name='captmurphy']Wow, you guys all have different ideas of what is appropriate for an 8 year old than I do. My 8 year old sure as hell won't be playing games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, EDF, or Fable II.

Goes the show how we have become completely de-sensitized to violence. I know I am going catch some flack for this, but man, the violence in all of those games can really sink deep into the head of an 8 year old. How can you tell a kid not to hit someone in real life and then hand them a controller and tell them to kill the bad guys?[/quote]

Uh, what "bad guys" are in EDF?? In any case, in regard to your argument, it depends on the child. You've already fallen into the "ratings" trap grouping EDF with the other 2. Ratings are for the uninformed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the crux though - I just don't think it is right for an 8 year old child to be manipulating anything onscreen that can be described as "shooting." I know that is a sticking point that 99% of CAGs would disagree with me on, and that is fine.

I too played games like Power Rangers and Road Rash when I was a young lad and I don't feel mal-adjusted.

As a parent someday, I suppose the question would ask myself would be, "WHY would I let my kid play something like Marvel UA over something like Hexic or World of Goo?" More problem solving and less violence = parenting win in my opinion. And since I will be "Dad," my opinion is the one that counts ;)

EDIT - Behind "Mom's," of course!

Capt, I hope you realize for Gears, I have the violence and language filters on all the time at the hous with him around. I also ask him to leave my room when I play Ninja Gaiden, don't think showing him decapitations is what he needs. Granted, some violence is just... Well, goofy. Team Fortress 2 may be rated M, but I've seen cartoons worse than it. However, when you get in to gritty things like Gears (No sensors) UT3 and R6V2, I wouldn't let him near those 'till he shows me he's mature enough to handle them.

I'm firmly against age bias (I'm actually 15) and I encourage showing you are able to handle something through action, not through label. I won't criticize you for your (Imaginary, being you don't have kids) parenting skills, but I feel as long as it isn't sexual content or language (I'm not going to have him curse like a sailor) and the violence isn't too over the top gibs and guts, I'm ok with it.

Oh crap, my thread has become a political debate!

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide'] but I feel as long as it isn't sexual content or language (I'm not going to have him curse like a sailor) and the violence isn't too over the top gibs and guts, I'm ok with it.[/quote]

What's interesting about this notion is that it is completely cultural. In Europe, nudity and language is completely fine (and very common), but you would rarely see a show even as "innocent" as CSI on television.

I'm just saying.

Also, I already know my position is an uphill battle, and I'm fine with that.

Yeah well the first game that popped in my head was EDF as well. That game is just crazy fun.

(begin philisophical rant)
I dont know why people are so scared that video games are going to turn their children into sociopaths. I am a father, and I would have no problem with my son, when he turns 8, playing a game like EDF/MUA. Nor would I disuade him from wrestling / boxing games. By the time I was 8, swordplay, water guns, and wrestling were a huge part of our play. But we were *TAUGHT* were play ends and reality begins. There was a clear bright line that we all understood.

Sure, if you *only* expose a kid to violence and never *TEACH* them the context there could be a risk. But kids are smart, curious, and have an amazing capacity to absorb information. If you take the time to explain the differences, they will *LEARN* the differences.

My philosophy on parenting is that I as a parent am to be more "teacher" than "shield". I'll expose my children earlier rather than later to the "taboos" of society: sex, drugs/alcohol, violence, religion, politics. I'll do so so that we (mom & dad) will set the initial context. So they will know the values we have about the topics before they are exposed to it in the street and build an improper foundation.
(end philisophical rant).

I don't think you're a Nazi or anything, and the less objectionable is better in this case. If you threw pies in Gears 2, I wouldn't care because it's gameplay I care for. So I don't care how silly the game is (Viva Pinata, I'm looking at you) As long as it's got something solid we can play.

@EDF2017, I'll see if I can find a bargain copy after I get christmas shopping done. It looks corny but intriguing, and I hear it's got a 75 hour or so achievement, so that'll keep me glued to it.

I play games with my brother like Halo 3 and he's only 7. He is decent, but not to good, but what do you expect? He sees me and my mom playing graphic games with blood and stuff in it, and he's perfectly fine. I see nothing wrong in playing tough games with him, it may even help him in the future of his gaming career.

Anyone of the following are good:

SEGA Superstars Tennis, Assault Heroes 1 and/or 2, Fuzion Frenzy 2, Feeding Frenzy 2, Castle Crashers, TMNT, Golden Axe, Bomberman Live, Worms, LEGO Batman, LEGO Indy, LEGO Star Wars, Streets Of Rage 2, Heavy Weapon, Aegis Wing, Cloning Clyde, Arkadian Warriors.

bread's done
Back