Free Radical is done.

NTolerance

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56441

Some really disappointing news here. I wouldn't touch console FPS games until I picked up Timesplitters 2 on clearance for $7. After that I was a huge fan of the series, its concept, and its co-op mode.

I can only imagine that Haze sunk them just like Lair sunk Factor 5.

I really wanted Timesplitters 4. :cry:

The Timesplitters series was basically them trying to make Goldeneye again, but with stupid-ass character designs and boring shooting mechanics, and Haze was just trash. This is not a surprise, nor a disappointment.

[quote name='Chacrana']The Timesplitters series was basically them trying to make Goldeneye again, but with stupid-ass character designs and boring shooting mechanics, and Haze was just trash. This is not a surprise, nor a disappointment.[/quote]

I completely agree. Never saw what others like in the "TimeSplitters" series.

Timesplitters 2 was good in some areas. Not good to see. i think Haze could have been better, neat idea just overly powerful.

This was some other news about them posted.
It's being reported by various UK based news sites that Free Radical, developer of the TimeSplitters series and Haze, has closed its doors for good. No one has received confirmation from the developer either way, as they don't seem to be answering their phones, but judging from anecdotal evidence, it's not looking good. Forum-goers over at Eurogamer are saying that the locks on the doors have been changed and Develop's sources are saying "something" happened at the developer this morning.

Develop is posturing that the closure, if true, is probably a result of Haze being a commercial and critical flop. Not only that, but the word is that their Lucasarts collaboration (Star Wars BattleFront 3) is reported to have been canceled and they were having trouble finding a publisher for TimeSplitters 4. Sadly, it seems that game will now never see the light of day. We'll update this story as soon as we get confirmation either way but, as we say, it's not looking good. It's a sad day and we feel for anyone who has lost their job -- especially this close to Christmas.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/18/rumor-free-radical-design-shuts-up-shop/

I brought up all those points because I figured all three really hurt them (along with trouble in the U.K. Economy right now). I remember hearing Lucas Arts was no longer going to be publishing Star Wars games. Instead, they were just going to have third parties license Star Wars (since they'd probably be better off that way). I figured Battlefront 3 would be canceled because of that. I'm not really surprised about Timesplitters 4 struggling to find a publisher because Timesplitters 3 didn't do so well. It seems like Ubi Soft, Eidos (especially with the shape their in), and EA weren't willing to publish their game again. Only other major options are Activision (who probably doesn't care since they have CoD), THQ (who has their own problems), Take-Two (they already have BioShock and are already losing $$), and Atari (who is already in some financial trouble).

Goldeneye was fun.
Second Sight was enjoyable at parts.
Hated Timesplitters.
Did not care for the Haze Demo.

Sucks for the dudes who lost jobs though.

The Timesplitter series was one of my faves. The games had good graphics, cool weapons, good gameplay, excellent multiplayer, and a good sense of humor.

This is what you get for making a PS3 exclusive, generic, and TERRIBLE first person shooter.

Future Perfect and Second Sight sold like shit too, but I think Haze was the nail on their coffin.

Sucks for the people employed there, but the real blame should be on the management. Word was the director or something of Haze's last job was in a bakery..

Those guys should join back up with Rare and help make a decent Perfect Dark.

Erm..

nope.

Second Sight and Future Perfect probably did just as much damage as Haze did.

And Haze wasn't about HD, it was about it being awful and being exclusive, and exclusive to the wrong platform. Ubi wanted it exclusive, FR wanted it multiplatform.

They're not closed, yet. They're just out of money.

[quote name='PhaperPlane']Confirmed by Kotaku.[/QUOTE]

Kotaku has no credibility to make any confirmations about anything, ever.

Depending on just how bad Haze bombed, I dont know if going multi with 360 and/or PC with more costs wouldve saved it. Certainly PS3 exclusive put them at a considerable disadvantage.

This is why its important that a platform be friendly towards mediocre games with mediocre sales.

Nintendo shouldve bought them.

I know, like right? CoffeeEdge is the real source of info? Please.

People shitting on blogs make me upset. Go away.

Did you see the first month sales for Future Perfect across 3 platforms? It wasn't good. It was less than 70k. They've been in trouble for a good while. Haze's failure just put them over that edge.

That sucks. Timesplitters 2 was the only FPS I played on my ps2 and I loved every minute of it. I was really hoping TS4 would help them bounce back after Haze flopped, but looks like they ran out of time.

You sort of had to know this was coming after the disaster that was Haze. What really drove it home was that Doak did an interview with one of the game mags (EGM, I believe) talking about the game after it was released and he seemed... well, he was diplomatic, but you could tell that he knew it wasn't good. In fact, the thing he seemed to imply killed the game the most is that they built their own engine, which is becoming increasingly uncommon, and for good reason (*especially* for untested properties, like Haze).

What the most painful thing is that neither Rare, nor these guys that split off from them, really ever recaptured the ingenuinity and fun of their earlier titles. Without the support of MS, Rare would've been dead long ago, which is the same position that Free Radical is now in... no 'parent' company, no future.

Regardless, it's a shame, since there really are some talented people at the company, so I hope they land somewhere to keep making games. Haze was a major disappointment, but I'm really sad we'll never see TimeSplitters 4 (regardless of prior sales, I love me some TS), or Battlefront 3 (really not happy about that).

This is something that we're going to see keep happening, which makes it worse. Smaller developers are either going to have to a find a buyer or strike gold. Because of the PS3 connection, it makes me REALLY worried about the future of Quantic Dream... Heavy Rain, PS3 exclusive, small developer... I'm worried that if it doesn't sell, they're sunk, which would be a damn shame.

Quantic Dream is headed for a heartbreak if they think Heavy Rain is going to do anything but make them bankrupt.

It does seem they're being smarter about how they spend their money, but it's still stupid to make something PS3 exclusive if you're not Sony anymore.

So wait, Battlefront 3 is getting completely scrapped? Is anyone picking it up? I love the Battlefront series and there needs to be a next gen one.

The best part of the Timesplitters series was the level editor. I spent a ridiculous amount of time making levels in TS2 and was looking forward to what the editor would look like in TS4, so this news sucks.

This is some of the most depressing gaming news I've read this decade, and today is definitely a sad day for gaming.

Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect are my favorite console FPS games. I can't think of a single FPS that was as filled to the brim with content as they were.

It's unfortunate that most people didn't bother to play their earlier titles as they were released; too many will only remember that they made Haze, which was a mistake from which they could have learned.

Timesplitters was fun, and I'll miss the potential(or lack thereof) that 4 could have had.

But ultimately its not too big a deal for me, sucks for those dudes though.

Timesplitters 2 was good. It was a bunch of good single player levels strung together but there was no story or any compelling IP there. The other Timesplitters games were average at best. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this but hopefully the employees will land on their feet - this is bullshit right before the holidays.

This is very sad news, I enjoyed the Timesplitters series and was looking forward to the fourth one. Timesplitters 3 was one of the funniest games I ever played.

Nintendo should of bought Free Radical, they seemed like a perfect fit.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']HD takes another small western developer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's no way it was due to them making a bad game.

Future Perfect was great. The level editor was pretty detailed. You could make campaign (single-player) levels with it too. I knew Haze flopped, but I didn't know the sales for FP were that bad.

And WTF kind of strategy is it to cancel Battlefront 3? Aren't the Battlefront games the best-selling Star Wars games ever?

PS3 kills another great game (TS4).

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm-a call it now: Microsoft.[/quote]
Does Microsoft have any first party studios left at this point? ;)

[quote name='rickonker']BTW anyone have the details on how Lair sunk Factor 5? I thought they're still operating.[/QUOTE]

Factor 5 is still operating. People just assume that Lair must have hurt them pretty bad.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Factor 5 is still operating. People just assume that Lair must have hurt them pretty bad.[/QUOTE]
Oh, thanks.

Damn. I l-o-v-e-d the Timesplitters series. Future Perfect was great how who were able to see another version of your character in levels as you go back to them. Time to get it from Goozex.

P.S. What other FPS allowed you to play as a monkey? A MONKEY!

bread's done
Back